Thread: Japan

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

Default Japan

I set out to Japan on 27th July 2005

I left in the afternoon from Heathrow,it was an 11 hour 15 minute flight with not much to see on the flight except Siberian wastes,since we took an Arctic route.I was an idiot at the time by not sleeping at all .

As soon as I disembarked from the flight I was received by one of the personnel of the Indian Ambassador to Japan.The Indian ambassador at the time was an old friend of my father,they had met in the Indian Embassy in Moscow during the days of the Soviet Union in the 1970s.

I was driven to the residence of the Ambassador,I fell asleep as soon as I arrived but was woken up in the early morning by an Earthquake where I was genuinely scared.However what was great was that the ambassador's driver took us all around Tokyo,which was great

The next day I went to the Imperial Palace Gardens which were really nice:

some men were sparring in this building for the benefit of tourists I think

Then later I went to this massive Sega arcade complex,with dating games and football games which you played with cards.

Then a few days later I went to the famous Harajuku district famed for its shrine and cosplay:

This is the entrance to the shrine and I was lucky to briefly witness a wedding ceremony:

Inside the shrine at Harajuku:

Here are prayers which people attach to a tree in the complex for good luck,I recall seeing a prayer written in Uighur script and one in Hangul script

Lots of sake :

The famous Takeshita street where cosplay outfits are sold and various other things:

who would wear these outfits is beyond me

an example of a couple of people in cosplay:

The next day I went to Nikko,which is supposed to have some of the most beautiful scenery in Japan:

The humidity throughout the whole trip was excruciating

a little pond where people throw coins for good luck:

a Torii which can been seen all over Japan:

some shots of the complex:

Bell Tower at Taiyu-in

This whole complex is known as the Nikko Tosho-gu ,Tokugawa Hidetada built this shrine in the 17th Century.Tokugawa Iemitsu enlarged this shrine later.There are 130 Tosho-gu throughout Japan.

Beautiful scenery of the Nikko national park:

Much of Japan is forested and hilly,which means that there isn't much flat land.

Lake Chuzen,which is sourced by the Yukawa and is 163 meters deep:

The Kegon falls,which are really beautiful.It is one of Japan's three highest waterfalls at 97 metres high.However according to Wikipedia a lot of people commit suicide here

This is the Futarasaran Shrine bridge:

When I came back to Tokyo,I was able to snap a couple of pics.This is Shinjuku if I recall:

Tokyo is really enormous,good thing I had a driver

Those of you who have played Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast or Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox,may recognise this bus terminal

Anyway the next day I went to Nagoya by Shinkansen Bullet Train :

This is how it looks inside :

When I was walking up and down I recall seeing a businessman reading a manga about golf

Anyway I was accompanying the Indian ambassador to an expo called the Expo Aichi which showcases other cultures.

This was the Indian pavillion

It was only a brief stay and I was grateful for that because it was really hot

a Shikansen bullet train coming in to Nagoya station:

From Nagoya I travelled to Kyoto

One of the places I visited was the famous Golden Pavillion where I was taken to a VIP area,thanks to being with an ambassador and able to take this picture:

Later his culture secretary took me down this path,where I had a nice walk,with cicadas making their usual noise in the background:

And I went to see the Silver Pavillion:

And I got to see a traditional Japanese street,reminded me of an Anime :

And I was fortunate enough to be blessed by a Shinto priest in a traditional ceremony thanks to the fact I was travelling with an ambassador

I was able to have a traditional Buddhist meal(Which was vegetarian of course ) and see a Zen Buddhist Garden

This is supposed to represent a Tiger lying by a stream

Later I took this beautiful picture of a pond in Kyoto:

The next day I returned to Tokyo and was able to visit the Tokyo Edo Museum and later snap this picture of Tecmo HQ :

The Last thing I saw was Asimo at a Hondo showroom in Tokyo:

Thank you for reading
    Last edited by Babur; April 03, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Japan

Nice read!
    Why we dig up the past? To understand it.

Good read! +rep.

Nic+ rep

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Chaghatai Khan View Post

The Kegon falls,which are really beautiful.It is one of Japan's three highest waterfalls at 97 metres high.However according to Wikipedia a lot of people commit suicide here

Thanks for the post, it really brought back memories of my 3 years in Japan. FUnny thing about that waterfall. When I went to visit it they had to repair something upstream and had the stream damed up. So when I went to see it is had no water

Yoshinoya is the best place to go for a cheap but delicious bowl of Gyudon

Unforutnatly, a computer crash erased most of my photos from Japan, but I still have a few floating around:

View from my apartment taken about 2 days before I went home:

Click to view content: 

Osaka castle (it was about 10 minutes away from my apartment)
    Click to view content: 

Some shots from Himeiji-castle:
    Click to view content: 

Sports days at the high school I taught at:

Click to view content: 

Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

thanks for the pics Wild Bill Kelso+rep .Yeah I liked Yoshinoya ,I had their donburi twice
    Last edited by Babur; April 03, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Real awsome thread +rep
    I want to visit Japan now

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    Real awsome thread +rep
    I want to visit Japan now
    cool I am encouraging tourism to Japan

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Niceness!

Could you tell us how you knew the Indian ambassador again, and why you could stay at his house?
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

my dad met him at the Indian embassy in Moscow back in the 1970s (Back in the USSR ,Great Beatles Song) but seriously they became good friends to the extent they considered each other brothers and he called me his nephew when I arrived lol.

Since he was an old family friend,in fact he had attended my parent's wedding in 1984,

Because of being a family friend,he was more than happy to have me come and stay in his residence.He is now happily retired after having served his tenure there.
    Last edited by Babur; April 03, 2008 at 06:06 PM.

japan is awesome. i was born there and lived for quite a few years before moving back to scotland. really want to go there again...
    Cheese is a kind of meat...

Awesome!

I do have another trip to post on this sub-forum if anyone is interested :hmmm:

Jwb187's Avatar Semisalis

awesome pics and trip...absolutely stunning pics of the waterfall and the lake....great pics of the temples and buildings and such too.....+rep