Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My trip to Beijing (30th June-5th July 2010)

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

Default My trip to Beijing (30th June-5th July 2010)

I will put this in spoilers because there are quite a few pictures in this thread:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On 30th June, I went to Beijing on the invitation of the president of China's sovereign investment fund.I left on 29th June but I spent the whole day travelling and arrived the following morning at around 8AM.On my way to Beijing I took these pics of the Mongolian steppe and the Gobi Desert :

I stayed in the St Regis Hotel which is near many of the embassies in Beijing

Thus there were quite a few international restaurants to cater for diplomats such as this Turkish one :

The following day I went to the film set of the Chinese remake of "What Women Want" starring Andy Lau and Gong Li (they're big celebrities in China).It had rained heavily but it was ok by the time we came back so I was dropped off near the Beijing Observatory which was the first sight I saw in the city:

I think it used to be part of the Beijing city wall (which is now mostly demolished)

some astronomical instruments:

stardial

a stone stela from as recent as a century ago:

Other carved blocks of granite:

Afterwards I then went up the observatory to the top and saw the urban sprawl that surrounds it today

Much of the old city was demolished for roads and paths such as these:

That evening however I walked to Tianamen Square from my hotel:

On the way there I took this photograph of the hotel which I think is where some of the journalists who reported on the Tianamen Square protests and the crackdown stayed.

After a long walk I reached the Gate of Heavenly Peace of the Forbidden City:

Today since 1949 politicians have stood here to watch military parades ever year on October 1st,since Mao proclaimed the People's Republic of China here.Looking across the road I could see Tianamen Square where the protests in June 1989 occured.

The following morning I returned to Tianamen Square and went inside the Forbidden City:

The long queue for Mao's mausoleum, considering how hot it was at the time I didn't bother with it

Tianamen Square:

The Monument to People's Heroes built to commemorate the revolutionary struggles during the 19th and 20th Century

They also had these TV screens for some reason

The Great Hall of the Peoples,the center of political governance in the People's Republic of China:

After this I went to the Gate of Heavenly Peace of the Forbidden City, there was security (perhaps to prevent a recurrence of the events of June 1989)

Then I went to the Forbidden City through the Gate of Heavenly Peace and there were a lot of people, I think from different parts of China

Mao's potrait:

The Meridian Gate to the Forbidden City which is the southern and the largest gate too.

After entering I then crossed the "Golden River" bridges across the serpentine waterway to reach the Gate of Supreme Harmony.

Inside the Gate of Supreme Harmony:

The view back towards the Meridian Gate

The view towards the Hall of Supreme Harmony where Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty Emperors hosted their enthronement and wedding ceremonies.

I then proceeded onto the Palace of Heavenly Purity,the Chinese seem to love these kind of turtles:

I also saw these beautiful decorations:

Beautiful inlaid work

some stairs down with Ming Architecture:

the phoenix, one of the symbols of the Chinese emperor

a long piece of carved granite with the dragon the other symbol of the Chinese emperor:

Manchurian text on the right:

the ceiling:

Then I went into a museum where they had numerous items including a palanquin

textiles

ru-yi for good luck

combs and a mirror I think for the Empress

Incense

porcelain

I don't know what this was for

The throne-room of the Emperor where people would kowtow and bring gifts

After this I then proceeded through a gate which had this fine metalwork

The gate took us to a small garden which had a statue of one of these mythological creatures made of metal

The Chinese love these pieces of rocks since they were common

After this I left through the Northern Gate and took this picture of the moat of the Forbidden City

After lunch, I went to the Temple of Heaven,the walk up to the Temple was nice:

The Temple of Heaven itself, which made an appearance in the First Chinese mission in C&C Generals :

as seen in the Forbidden City a long piece of carved granite

I went up to get a closer look at the Temple

At least it did offer shade from the sun, I took this picture of the inside of the building where the Emperor would pray for good harvests

These pillars inside represented days,months,years etc
    as shown by the different colours

After the Temple of Heaven, then I went to the Summer Palace which took a while to reach since it was on the other side of Beijing from where I was.When I did reach, it was quite late in the day.The Summer Palace is where the Emperor and Empress used to visit during the summer, sadly it was ransacked by Anglo-French forces in the 19th Century:

The 17 arch bridge

These boats take people across the lake

Jade Peak Pagoda in the distance

The Summer Palace which was among the sites which was renovated by the Dowager Empress Cixi

The Marble boat which was restored by the Dowager Empress Cixi

The Long Corridor which was built so that one could enjoy a walk in the Summer Palace while being protected from the elements

It has more than 14,000 paintings such as this one

view across the lake

I liked the design of this bridge:

a corridor with windows so that one could view the lake whilst walking under shade

Another piece of rock, which the Chinese love to put in their palaces

details on the rock

The following morning, I visited Beihai Park which is near the Forbidden City.Beihai Park was initially built in the 10th Century was used by later dynasties such as the Jin and Yuan dynasties.Since I had gone on a Saturday there were people who went there for recreation

The Jade Islet with its famous stupa

people sword dancing, I tried to keep my distance

a statue of a Chinese mythological animal

There has been a temple on this site since Yuan times,this temple however is Ming era originally although it was restored by the Qing Dynasty

This tree dates back to the time of the Jin Dynasty

The stupa

there were many water lillies

There were various levels on the Jade Islet,which is where people still pray as can be seen here:

Buddhist praying drum with sanskrit

the stupa

a lotus carved into the stairway

the stupa

Then I went down into some caves nearby which had been use since the Jin dynasty,it was a welcome respite from the crowds and heat outside

There were figurines such as this in the cave

the dragon, one of the symbols of the Chinese emperor, the lake can be seen in the background

a traditional Chinese play I think, the guy was acting as if he was drunk in his role

people doing tai-chi with someone being massaged in the background lol

a fortune teller

Walking in Beihai Park

traditional Chinese opera

The Jade Islet in the distance:

The following day I went to visit a section of the Great Wall of China, this section was one of the ones which wasn't restored and the steps had been eroded away thus it was too steep to stand on a gradient.The walk up to the Great Wall

The Great Wall Of China

restored sections of the Great Wall

The following day I went to see the Ming Tombs

entrance

There used to be a hall here I think

a brick tunnel

The Emperor's throne for the afterlife I think

the back of the throne with the dragon,one of the symbols of the Chinese emperor

Big carved jade doors

boxes which contained possessions for the afterlife

These big stone slabs held the doors and I think was meant to protect against robbers

inside the tomb

A huge stone stela

Then I proceeded to the museum which had items which were excavated from the tomb which includeed this silver ingot

gold ingots

This fabric had been kept in a wooden box

These small shoes are evidence of the practice of footbinding which had been common for centuries

a goldmesh hat

a hat which the Emperor would have worn I think

Ming-era war helmet

Confucian law code

Mao did visit this place but was apparently too superstitious to go down into the tombs

Then finally I visited the Sacred Way which is part of the Ming Tomb complex

The gate

A Chinese courtier

soldiers

Mao stood by this elephant when he visited decades ago

When Mao visited

animals, a Bactrian camel can be seen on the right

structure housing a stela which rested on a carved turtle

a huge stela

it was resting on the back of this turtle

And that was the end of the trip, the following day I left for London

I took this picture of the Gobi Desert on the way back

The end

Last edited by Babur; July 30, 2010 at 08:28 AM.

Default Re: My trip to Beijing (30th June-5th July 2010)

Some really nice shots in there, looks like a beautiful place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sup With That? View Post
    Some really nice shots in there,
    well I used an SLR camera

looks like a beautiful place to visit.
    indeed it was thanks

Bokks's Avatar Thinking outside Myself

Awesome!!!

I'm glad you got these up for everyone to see! These are fantastic!

They are so crisp and clear... you should submit some of them to a travel agency! I bet you could make a bit from a venture like that too... some of those picture--the aerial photographs over Mongolia and the wall fragment made from star fish, not to mention pretty much all of them from the Forbidden City!--are quite unique and probably something the average brochure doesn't have but would interest a wide range of clients.
    Patronized by Vɛrbalcartɷnist|Great-Great-Grandclient of Crandar
    Thinking Outside the Bokks since 2008...

HOW DID YOU GET INTO MY CAMERA?

When i was there in December, the Square was empty.. I was wearing a topical shirt in the tomb saying something in Chinese about Mao and a guard saw me, pulled me over, I was myself and he goes..

"Would you like to put flowers on the tomb"

In stuttered English, so I said sure and I got to put yellow flowers on top with 3 Chinese people.. Turns out my shirt said Long Live Mao.

Great pictures. Most of them are identical to my own (except your camera is better). Even visited the same places

Quote Originally Posted by Bokks View Post
    Awesome!!!

I'm glad you got these up for everyone to see! These are fantastic!
    it did take a while

They are so crisp and clear... you should submit some of them to a travel agency! I bet you could make a bit from a venture like that too... some of those picture--the aerial photographs over Mongolia and the wall fragment made from star fish, not to mention pretty much all of them from the Forbidden City!--are quite unique and probably something the average brochure doesn't have but would interest a wide range of clients.
    yeah that is because of the lense as well as the fact SLRs have a more powerful image sensor than point and shoot cameras .

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    HOW DID YOU GET INTO MY CAMERA?
    lol

btw what kind of camera do you use?

When i was there in December, the Square was empty.. I was wearing a topical shirt in the tomb saying something in Chinese about Mao and a guard saw me, pulled me over, I was myself and he goes..
    yeah when my dad took pictures of the square in January it looked empty

"Would you like to put flowers on the tomb"

In stuttered English, so I said sure and I got to put yellow flowers on top with 3 Chinese people.. Turns out my shirt said Long Live Mao.
    well I have little respect tbh and a few people I spoke to when I was there didn't seem to like him much either.I met someone who had endured persecution under Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Great pictures. Most of them are identical to my own (except your camera is better). Even visited the same places
    thanks , exactly the same places? lol well I was given a gift by president of China's sovereign investment fund
    Last edited by Babur; July 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Awesome pics Babur. They are really good. Seems like a very interesting tour

I simply must go to China one day.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Excellent pics my man! It looks like you had fun!
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Quote Originally Posted by Kralle18 View Post
    Awesome pics Babur. They are really good. Seems like a very interesting tour
    thanks

I simply must go to China one day.
    indeed btw did you ever see that Simpson episode set in China?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Excellent pics my man! It looks like you had fun!

yeah I even met a few Chinese celebrities
    Last edited by Babur; July 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM.

btw what kind of camera do you use?

Canon EOS 450d

Quote Originally Posted by Babur View Post
    thanks , exactly the same places?
    Well I haven't seen as much of the city as you have (only Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace and some minor locations), but the Ming tombs and all those animals look very familiar. I have a near identical picture of that elephant. When I was in Beijing, it was monsoon half of the time though.

lol well I was given a gift by president of China's sovereign investment fund
    Life's unfair. I paid quite a lot for my trip (it was a whole tour of the country though, not only Beijing). But then again, never regretted it.

And yeah, they should do away with that ugly retard Mao.

Canon EOS 450d
    nice

well anyway apparently certain topics are taboo in China so I didn't mention them such as what happend in June 1989

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Well I haven't seen as much of the city as you have (only Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace and some minor locations), but the Ming tombs and all those animals look very familiar. I have a near identical picture of that elephant. When I was in Beijing, it was monsoon half of the time though.
    well I didn't get to see the Hutong , well when I was there it was really hot, it was about 42 degrees celsius on the last day of my trip.

Life's unfair. I paid quite a lot for my trip (it was a whole tour of the country though, not only Beijing). But then again, never regretted it.
    well here is the gift

apparently it is 2,000 years old from the time of the Qin/Han Dynasty

And yeah, they should do away with that ugly retard Mao.
    well I don't have any respect for him tbh
    Last edited by Babur; July 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM.

GeneralL's Avatar Ducenarius

Excellent pictures mate. I will also add some after my 2 months tour in Georgia. A little flight to China to my relative there.
    Invictus I Victoria

well anyway apparently certain topics are taboo in China so I didn't mention them such as what happend in June 1989
    We got a government guide, she never mentioned the Dalai Llama when talking about Budhism and never even said 1989, but she did push the case for wanting Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralL View Post
    Excellent pictures mate. I will also add some after my 2 months tour in Georgia. A little flight to China to my relative there.
    thanks

We got a government guide, she never mentioned the Dalai Llama when talking about Budhism and never even said 1989, but she did push the case for wanting Taiwan
    yeah well it is a taboo topic I guess , I had to speak very vaguely when referring to the protests in 1989, I would say "oh that is where it happend"

Caliph's Avatar Centenarius

Amazing pictures Babur! I must visit China before long, the furthest east I've been is UAE

I like tianamen sqaure the most, looks like a great place to just 'be'. The color combination on the Temple of Heaven looks almost persian from afar.

Oh, and that dragon turtle is just epic!

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    Amazing pictures Babur! I must visit China before long, the furthest east I've been is UAE
    well the furthest east I have been is Japan

I like tianamen sqaure the most, looks like a great place to just 'be'. The color combination on the Temple of Heaven looks almost persian from afar.
    yeah I loved those shades of green and blue which are common in Ming era structures.Well the Chinese did influence Persian art and pottery

Oh, and that dragon turtle is just epic!
    yeah
    Last edited by Babur; July 29, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

manofarms89's Avatar Senator
    La Puente, California, United States of America

really good stuff man, i plan on going to Asia after i return to Europe one more time, how expensive was Beijing?

Quote Originally Posted by manofarms89 View Post
    really good stuff man, i plan on going to Asia after i return to Europe one more time, how expensive was Beijing?
    thanks , whereabouts in Asia though?

well if you want to buy touristy stuff or stuff at the Silk Market then yeah it can be expensive (unless you're an expert at bargaining)
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast