Thread: Recent trip to France/Switzerland

Default Recent trip to France/Switzerland

Some photos from my visit to France and Switzerland from our trip in October. Started out in Paris and went to the Provence region (Marseille, St. Tropez, Cannes, Nice) then through alpine Switzerland (Vevey, Zermatt, Lauterbrunnen) - probably two of my favourite regions in the world. A photo diary of sorts I guess. We plan to go there again some time in the future so suggestions of places welcome, as are tips on how I can improve my crap photography skills

Our itinery:
    Day 1-3: Paris: did the typical touristy things: Louvre, Versailles, the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, etc
    Day 4-5: TGV train to Marseille (3 hours), drove along coast of Provence, stayed the night at St Tropez and drove to Nice the second day, flight to Geneva
    Day 6-8: SBB train to Zermatt, Switzerland, explored the Matterhorn and Monte Rosa area
    Day 9-11: Stayed at Interlaken, daily trips into the Lauterbrunnen valley to see Wengen, Jungfrau, Aletschegletscher, Klein Scheidegg, Grindelwald, etc.
    Day 12: Train back to Paris, fly out

Photos were taken with a Canon 50D with a Cannon EFS 10-22m lens and a B+W circular polariser filter.

France

We stayed at a hotel near Versailles instead of paying for the mad rates in central Paris. The palace is I think the best example of royal excess anywhere, although friends have said Vienna rivals it. The gardens are what makes it worthwhile for me though. There is a buggy you can rent and go around the enormous grounds and on a nice day it's all rather spiffy rolling along the tree lined avenues.

Paris is not a favourite city of mine and in retrospect I would have liked to spend more time in Provence, but the missus hadn't been so I obliged. Paris is quite easily traversable by metro unlike some other European capitals (Rome I'm looking at you) and decently priced if you get the books of 10 metro tickets which puts each journey at around 1 EUR.

Highlight: food, street side cafes, gardens of Versailles
    Lowlight: trudging around the Louvre for the 6th time

Versailles taken from one of the flower beds.

A statue I particularly liked. The Bourbons were keen collectors of statues and it really shows.

A view of the Champs de Mars from the top of the Eiffel Tower. It costs about 15 euros and a 20 minute line if you are willing to climb up flights of stairs, as opposed to 2 hours if you insist on taking the lift. The view is quite good and you get to see just about all of urban Paris on a clear day. If you buy a stairs ticket you are not really supposed to take the lift down, but most people did anyway and the staff didn't seem to mind.

Highlight: awesome views, wide angle camera's paradise
    Lowlight: LOTS of stairs. I am reasonably athletic but was still pretty tired afterwards

Driving along the French riviera. Marseille is a bit of a bore, and the traffic signs are terrible (according to the missus I ran a red light without realising), but the 3 hour train connections from Paris can't be argued with. Once you get out of the city the scenery is well worth it.

Highlight: country views
    Lowlight: trying to find the way out of Marseille

Cassis - delightful little town a short way from Marseille. There is a nice beach and a castle on a cliff top. We tried to go but it was either closed or private.

Sunrise over the hotel pool - Ramatuelle, St Tropez. My favourite part of France. The drive along the coastline is delightful if a little windy, but the views of little orchards and vineyards from little mountaintop villages take the cake for me. We went to one called Ramatuelle which was every bit the storybook village.

Highlight: just about everything really. This part of Provence is easily one of my five favourite places in the world
    Lowlight: nothing really...

Switzerland

For travellers: the SBB train system is the most efficient anywhere in the world by some distance. Trains are amazingly punctual and generally get from A to B with minimum fuss. We made the mistake of not getting a Swisspass, which we realised gives you discounts on touristy places and other things, so do get it.

Chateau de Chillon, Vevey - shame about the weather, but in general quite an interesting visit. The castle itself is quite small and cute, but the views of Lake Geneva are quite brilliant.

Matterhorn. We climbed most of the way up it. There is a cable car up half of the way to Schwarsee and then it's a pretty manageable climb up to this glacial basin bit where you get really good shots of the Matterhorn. For serious climbers there is a way to the top and a lodge of sorts where people stay the night, but we came down as the climbing started requiring all fours. Most of that climb the weather was rather cloudy but the day we were about to check out and go to Interlaken this happened. Absolutely stunning weather for the rest of Switzerland thankfully.

Zermatt is the village underneath in the valley and is very cute. The village bans cars and you will get a fine if you drive into it unwittingly. Stuff is generally not cheap but still well worth the visit. Besides the matterhorn there is the Monte Rosa area. If you go up to Gornergrat on the toy train you get to an observatory spot where you can see 6-7 glaciers in one place.

Highlight: climbing the Matterhorn
    Lowlight: very weather dependent. We got lucky in the end but not while we were on the mountain

Wengen - on the Jungfraubahn to Jungfraujoch. Wonderful ski resort in the winter. One of the prettiest alpine villages I've ever been to in the summer.

Staubbachfalle - 380m high waterfall within walking distance of Lauterbrunnen. Apparently can freeze solid when it gets really cold in the winter. There are several of these waterfalls in the area but this one for me was the best.

Lauterbrunnen valley from the air - we took this helicopter trip from Lauterbrunnen airfield and cost us EUR640 for the both of us. It was a 45 minute ride which included flying around the Lauterbrunnen valley, landing on the top of one of the glaciers and then a round trip which flies past several of the taller mountains like the Eiger-Monch-Jungfrau mountains and the Shilthorn. We flew in a 4 passenger heli and we shared the ride with a nice German-Swiss couple. On a sunny day it was actually quite warm at the top, and I was able to walk around in t-shirt and shorts taking photos.

Highlight: just about everything
    Lowlight: just about everything is expensive even by continental Europe standards

Jungfrau, Eiger, Monch, helicopter

Aletschgletscher - from Jungfraujoch. We ascended the Jungfrau in a tunnel train from Klein Scheidegg. The round trip was about 2 hours and from Jungfraujoch at the top you could see the Aletschegletscher, which is a UNESCO site and one of the longest glaciers in Europe. It's actually not that cold on a sunny day even in early October.

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; November 04, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Recent trip to France/Switzerland

I was very fortunate to study abroad in Switzerland and France while in university. I spent two weeks in Switzerland and a week in France. Looks like you went to a lot of the places I went, Paris, Versailles, Zermatt, and probably many more.

We plan to go there again some time in the future so suggestions of places welcome
    Any particular types of places you're interested in? I'll try to come up with a list of suggestions for you. I visited some amazing Roman and Celtic sites while I was over there, and there is an incredible bed and breakfast in the town of Estavayer le Lac with very, very affordable rates.

Looking for nice scenery and heritage and the like off the beaten trail I guess. In France I've done most of the places around Ile de France and Provence, and in Switzerland I've done Geneva, Montreux, Zurich, Basel, Interlaken, Zermatt and surrounding areas.

Thoughts are on Bretagne, Loire valley, the Pyrenees (maybe popping into Spain for the running of the bulls in Pamplona ) in France, or the St. Moritz/St. Gallen ends of Switzerland. Are they worth going to? Thoughts?

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Switzerland is expensive beyond belief, makes me feel like some poor ass Eastern-European. And I don't like that at all...
    Miss me yet?

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I'd love to include this wonderful thread in the stickied list of travel logs but I'm doubting a bit. Your pictures are wonderful and some of them are quite breathtaking but it's very short on words.
    I'm not pressuring you or anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested in some more details about your awesome trip to the region.

What was the helicopter trip like for example? I've never done that and would love to hear some of your thoughts on this

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    I'd love to include this wonderful thread in the stickied list of travel logs but I'm doubting a bit. Your pictures are wonderful and some of them are quite breathtaking but it's very short on words.
    I'm not pressuring you or anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested in some more details about your awesome trip to the region.

What was the helicopter trip like for example? I've never done that and would love to hear some of your thoughts on this
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll add some description around the photos at some point so it's less of a photo dump.

Updated the OP with some commentary. Comments welcome.

EDIT: the Versailles picture seems to be dead will fix after work.

Hmmm, Ramatuelle. I was there, at a camping at the foot of the hill that houses Villa Felderhof.
    Miss me yet?

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Nice log and commentary, mate I will include it in the list of travel logs!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Di you jump out the hellicopter on land or midair?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔IPA35♔ View Post
    Switzerland is expensive beyond belief, makes me feel like some poor ass Eastern-European. And I don't like that at all...
    Come to Norway, and you will experience the Kenyan experience.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; November 05, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Sick trip man, I'd love to go there some day, looks beautiful. I must ask though, did you treat yourself to a nice watch in Switzerland? =P If not, you have much better restraint than I lol, I'm a total watch geek, I'd probably leave with 10k+ in debt. (Not really, but God...it would be tempting haha)

Lmao, that took me a second, "The Kenyan experience....OH! haha. Yeah, I had a Norwegian penpal once and I remember I told him my dad drove a Ford Escape and he was all like "WOW! You are lucky, here that vehicle would cost $60,000! I was like "oh holy crap, well I know where I am NOT moving in the future." geeeez
    Last edited by The Doubtful Guest; November 05, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Ditto this, and I make my money in USD

Hmmm, Ramatuelle. I was there, at a camping at the foot of the hill that houses Villa Felderhof.
    Very nice place isn't it. The mountain has a great view of the surrounding countryside.

We stayed at somewhere nearer the coast but found Ramatuelle village by accident because the Europcar GPS thought our address was inside the village (it wasn't, it was around 3 miles further down the road, not that I'm complaining)

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    Di you jump out the hellicopter on land or midair?
    No the helicopter landed on the snow and we walked out. I would actually love to skydive in the alps, but we ran out of time and budget as we were planning...

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    I never got how you Scandinavians give 50% of your earnings to the government and STILL have enough money to get by buying stuff that's that overpriced...are wages sky high too?

Or is it because of the North Sea oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Putasokinhet View Post
    Sick trip man, I'd love to go there some day, looks beautiful. I must ask though, did you treat yourself to a nice watch in Switzerland? =P If not, you have much better restraint than I lol, I'm a total watch geek, I'd probably leave with 10k+ in debt. (Not really, but God...it would be tempting haha)
    Haha no. There is a particular watch I like a lot but it would cost me as much as the entire trip did

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I said I'd make a few suggestions for your next visit, so here they are.

In Switzerland:

There is a lovely small town called Estavayer le Lac on Lake Neuchatel. There are some things to do/see there, but perhaps the best reason to stay there is My Lady's Manor, a great bed and breakfast with extremely affordable rates. This is where we stayed the entire time my study abroad group was in Switzerland.

Some Roman sites: Aventicum; Augusta Raurica

An amazing museum in Neuchatel of the La Tene culture at Latenium.

In France, Autun has some really nice Roman ruins/sites, and Bibracte is a breathtaking Celtic fortress still preserved as nothing was ever built on top of it.

@ robinzx

I have only driven through the actual village. we stayed at a camping (Les Tournels) near the pampelonne beach.
    Mhhhm, spotting exotics cars in St. Tropez, I want to go back!
    Miss me yet?