Thread: TotW 161: It's a new dawn, it's a new day... - WINNER

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default TotW 161: It's a new dawn, it's a new day... - WINNER

It's a new dawn, it's a new day...

The world of Gaiisha once again comes up trumps with a convincing win, putting the mighty Derpy Hooves on 4 WSCM points!
    5 great submissions all round, and I wonder if the Janak Legion's will be marching to victory any time soon?

The Winning Tale
    Anhalan woke. It was the dawn of a new day, and he had barely slept a wink. War cries, death cries, musket fire and fires had kept him awake, which was why he went into an alleyway. Did it help? Well he thought so; he was able to get a little rest. Well maybe if he removed his breastplate he could have slept longer and better. As one of the one million War Volunteers, he did not really have an officer that would look for him, so few would have thought it odd to see him lying around in an alleyway.

Despite all of the death that had happened and was continuing to happen as well as his lack of sleep, Anhalan was happy. The light shining from sun as it was climbing higher into the sky mixed with the early morning mist, giving it a golden color. The mist was almost the same color as the golden sand that he was when he and his comrades had landed yesterday. Of course he loved it, he should love it. The golden colors that filled the air and covered the ground were the colors of his people’s homeland, this land. This was what the fighting was all about, the reclamation of the Janakan homeland…and Regia’s punishment too.

The latter reason Anhalan did not agree with. The way they were punishing Regia was absolutely barbaric. The order was to exterminate everyone who lived in the city, every man, woman and child, regardless of innocence. He was fortunate that he had not encountered any living civilian yet, but even if he did he would do everything in his power to prevent himself from taking an innocent life, but what if one of his comrades were going to do so? As he thought about this, his happiness was replaced with sadness.

Anhalan shook his head trying to get that thought out of his mind. “No! No, I shouldn’t think about it. It will only make life complicated.” He said, grabbing his musket as he stood up. Walking out of the alleyway, a soldier approached him, “Shouldn’t think about what?” he said.

Anhalan looked at the soldier, “Well I have been wondering what I will do if I encounter an unarmed person.” He said reluctantly.

The soldier stared at him. “You’re going to worry yourself to death. Look, I get it, you can’t bear to kill some innocent person, but that’s not going to change anything. All of the Regians in this city will die. Your only option is whether that will be a quick or an agonizing death, and if you’re a decent man you will choose the former.” The soldier said.

“Instead, focus on the positives such as a new home when the war is over. Now come on, I hear the Janak Legionnaires are planning on taking the castle today.” He said as he started walking away. Anhalan smiled and followed.

The submission thread can be found here, and the poll thread here.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Default Re: TotW 161: It's a new dawn, it's a new day... - WINNER

Grats on the win.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I got a double morale boost today

Also I any wish to know the background of this story, I added it just this morning to my World of Gaiisha thread (link in sig)

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Congrats to the winner! Not quite my cup of tea this time even though I like the Gaiisha world. Worthy winner nonetheless!!

Congratulations!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

It's getting mighty crowded getting that last one or two ToTW wins to get a medal.. Congratulations on the win.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Well done Derpy, richly deserved

Rep+

Gah...and I was so close! So close yet so far....

Anyway, congratulations Derpy