Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Will we get Lord of Rings Total war?

Default When Will we get Lord of Rings Total war?

So my son bought warhammer for Christmas and I watched him play some. I am not a warhammer fan and will never buy it myself but damn did it look good. A dragon lifting up a dinosaur creature throwing it on the ground, arrows shot at the dragon, it was cool to watch. The campaign map was beautiful. But all I could think was imagine if this was lord of the rings. Imagine that was a nazgul, or eagle, imagine trolls, ents, the balrog, gandalf etc etc i want to see the white city on the campaign map, mordor, helms deep, lothlorien etc to me it seems a natural perfect fit. So when do we see it happen?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: When Will we get Lord of Rings Total war?

So letīs speculate

2020 is year of Saga:Troy - that is confirmed
    2021 is probably Wh3 which is basically next big thing - that is very likely
    2022 letīs say this is 3 years after 3K and usually we are getting follow up title ...like Napoleon,Attila...so letīs say Genghis Khan (or somebody else..)
    2023 is nearest option for something new. It could be just another Saga game it could be Empire 2 or Medieval 3 or some new setting...

To tell truth, I would say Tolkien setting is very logical and very workable scenario. People are talking about various other fantasy setting like Game of Thrones or Witcher but those have more or less problems. One thing is sure. Tolkien mods are almost for any TW so far so it is trully popular setting and fantasy is now very succesful TW thanks to Warhammer 1+2. Plus tolkien is popular in general, well known. But it is also probalby very expensive thing. On one side, CA proved that they are capable of working lore friendly with fantasy IP like Warhammer so that is big plus. However obtaining the rights is another question. Right now there are no big films except new Amazon TV serie in production..
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    So letīs speculate

2020 is year of Saga:Troy - that is confirmed
    2021 is probably Wh3 which is basically next big thing - that is very likely
    2022 letīs say this is 3 years after 3K and usually we are getting follow up title ...like Napoleon,Attila...so letīs say Genghis Khan (or somebody else..)
    2023 is nearest option for something new. It could be just another Saga game it could be Empire 2 or Medieval 3 or some new setting...

To tell truth, I would say Tolkien setting is very logical and very workable scenario. People are talking about various other fantasy setting like Game of Thrones or Witcher but those have more or less problems. One thing is sure. Tolkien mods are almost for any TW so far so it is trully popular setting and fantasy is now very succesful TW thanks to Warhammer 1+2. Plus tolkien is popular in general, well known. But it is also probalby very expensive thing. On one side, CA proved that they are capable of working lore friendly with fantasy IP like Warhammer so that is big plus. However obtaining the rights is another question. Right now there are no big films except new Amazon TV serie in production..

I think you are correct. Warhammer 3 will be next for fantasy games and i am sure saga and historic titles would follow. But the next fantasy when warhammer is done, should be a LOTR IMO. Med 3 would be great by the way. I watched and loved game of thrones but it will never have the long term fanbase and interest that Tolkien has. In fact by the time it would come out as a game i bet it will be near forgotten while some new show takes its place. Of course it would sell well also being a TW game, I just dont see it as successful as a Tolkien game would be. What if CA got the rights to the books? and its own artists made middle earth or if they used allen lee who was used in the movies so it would be very similar? yes amazon is coming out i herd rumors of a LOTR theme park as well. But tolkien will be around long after game of thrones. And they would need licence to game of thrones as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_Estate

Television series

On 13 November 2017 it was announced that Amazon had acquired the global television rights to The Lord of the Rings, committing to a multi-season television series. The series will not be a direct adaptation of the books, but will instead introduce new stories that are set before The Fellowship of the Ring.[16] Amazon said the deal included potential for spin-off series as well.[17] The press release referred to "previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings". Amazon will be the producer in conjunction with the Tolkien Estate and The Tolkien Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema.[18]
    at the same time
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle...in_video_games
    New Line Cinema was absorbed into Warner Bros after 2010.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Home_Video

I see here a few problems. 1) there was no strategy game for long time. Companies probably pursue quick bucks in action games. 2) Warner Bros is currently working with Amazon. Not sure how willing Tolkien Estate will be to work with other studios at the same time.

However as Amazon is basically dirrectly working on prequel in graphic style ala LotR and Hobbit it might be possible fot CA to opt for more lore friendly/base on book vision especially for First Age up to LotR. Question is, what kind of deal is there with Amazon Games..if some kind of exclusivity ala Star Wars and EA right now or something more loosely. We will see.

Battle for Middle Earth games were some of my favorite RTSs back in the day. I still remember the Ring Wars map, and the Xodox version of it. I'd love an LotR Total War, but the Tolkien Estate is probably not equipped to handle the negotiations with CA in order to do its IP justice.

I wonīt be surprised if Amazon got some time exclusivity for their games. Like that no other studio is permitted to produce a game in certain time period. For GW the games are not main competitor (games vs tabletop) but surely even different games may influence other video game genres. (if billion people play Fortnite, there is probably a few less casual buyers for strategy and vice versa....)

But in general idea, I wonīt be surprised if CA now tried at least to talk about it....

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if GW wouldn't be happy about an LotR Total War game. That's pretty much a direct competitor in terms of IP.

Well exactly. If I remember correctly, GW and CA had about 10 years long deal...so 2013 - 2023 give or take. Basically 2021 WH3 release plus year or two for DLCs and patches to wrap it up completely.

I wonīt be suprised if there were some point in the deal about not doing yet famous fantasy setting in meantime. Who knows...

But basically that is yet another point why I listed above the years for possible TWs as I listed them. 2023 is really probably the nearest option for new IP setting.

Now of course the big question is, how will current Wh1+2 success translate into Wh3 and if GW would like with CA do something like Saga game, extension or something after Wh3. On opposite side, reading about different studios (CD project Red and Withcer series for example) I would not be surprised if CA would prefer some break from Wh. Produce something else. Because they are and will be doing Wh setting for decade...Because of this nobody would be surprised if the game after that is really Empire 2 or Med 3. But there of course question of potential gains/money. Basically if the Empire 2/Med 3 are more money wise scenario than Tolkien...in case they gained the license...so thatīs a lot ifs. Will CA get Tolkien license? Would they prefer break ala Empire2/Med 3? Or will they signed up for one more Wh title?

Like you said, who knows? I also wouldn't be surprised if CA didn't sign exclusivity either. Companies can be pretty thorough, but they can often miss things as well. It also depends on who really had the leverage in the negotiations. I think Warhammer has been the best project CA has ever done. It really addresses most of my criticisms. It's long time horizon and continuous content has generated way more money for CA then rushing 6-7 games in the same amount of time. Well, I think, I don't actually know without seeing their detailed spreadsheets. If this was as successful as I suspect, what I'm really interested in is seeing who is responsible for it. Because while the Saga seems to be pretty "successful" thanks to 3K, I actually think this is precisely the model that I despise, which makes me hesitant with trusting CA with anything. Because then, it seems like Warhammer was well executed because Games Workshop was involved with the decision making. I don't know whether the Tolkien estate is capable of emulating that successful model. The last thing I want, is yet another mediocre LotR and CA game.

The crux of the matter is the conciliation of so many interests coming from a great variety of parties. The prize is great, as the theme will guarantee the game's success, even if the final product is as polished as Empire and Rome II on release. However, the compromise about every side's share of the profits will be quite complicated, so negotiations will take time, which means that Total War: Lord of the Rings is out of question for the foreseeable future, unless SEGA's legal team discovers a loophole in the system (highly unlikely, not to mention the fact that any such manoeuvre will be challenged in the courts). Game of Thrones was a more probable scenario, but there was apparently no deal in that front either.

Given how the popularity of Martin's show is steadily declining, as the TV show has ended (in a rather lukewarm manner), I doubt we will see any GoT-inspired TW game anytime soon. However, it's interesting to note how Creative Assembly exploits popular culture for marketing purposes. The usual suspects usually involve films, like Saving Private Ryan, Last Samurai and Pirates of the Carribean, but TV series, like the Vikings are no exception. Throb is probably the most typical example of this strategy: The principal word of the title, the theme, the visuals, the audio of the trailer, even the raven, were clearly borrowed from Game of Thrones:

In my opinion, the next fantasy tent-pole product will be based on ancient mythology, which will allow CA to create all sorts of mythical monsters and superhuman heroes, without being limited by lore, other franchises and "historical authenticity".
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 03, 2020 at 08:25 AM.

GoT is done. Hype is dead after 8th season finale. And not sure if any new spinoff might return the glory... Interestingly Witcher despite not being the perfect in my eyes is gaining popularity. The lore is similarly big and good as GoT but the translation into game is also hard. (books/games/films focus on a few notable characters amidst politics...)

So what other great setting are around?

30/40/41K is probably too far from "land" base TWs as any modern WW1/WW2 settings. Star Wars are also sci-fi and off limits probably as is Warcraft. Tamriel? Dungeon and Dragons/Forgotten Realms? Narnia? Hybornia (Barbar Conan), Harry Potter is garbage for strategy. Iīm not discarting general "mythology" setting but it is lacking this familiarity of known IP.

-Tamriel, Dungeon and Dragons settings are missing notable characters. (imagine Gerald, Aragons like figures and no, ToB despite having no generally well known characters is not good example as are prooving low sales in comparison with any other TW.)
    -Narnia, Potter, Hybornia are missing variability in units/factions (compare with Whs)

Warcraft has both, characters like Arthas, Thrall....and variety. But that is probably rooted in origin as Warcraft was created when licence for warhammer was denied. And because Warhammer is loosely based upon Tolkien work...CA can do anything of course, but logically all roads lead to Tolkien.

If I have to pick interesting settings for me:
    1)Tolkien
    2)Warcraft
    3)Witcher (with some kind strong central story about Gerald. Basically we are playing as some king/queen and there is major event flow influenced by Ciri/Gerald..who are like independent NPC Gotrek/Felix like heroes. Maybe in the end with certain condition a player might get Ciri as queen/general and Geralt as Hero like figure. One of ending of Wh3 is that Ciri is new Nilfgaard Queen.....but this would heavily rely upon characters, interactions, diplomacy. It is really better suited for RPG games....)
    4)Tamriel
    Last edited by Daruwind; January 03, 2020 at 09:24 AM.

I was laughed at, and downvoted into oblivion for daring to make a thread on a Middle Earth TW game, on /r/TotalWar.

The WH fanboys there are so defensive.

I, also, want a Tolkien TW, the Med 2 mod is okay, but it just doesn't do it, for me.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Licensing will probably be the biggest issue, I haven no doubts CA would jump at the chance to make a Third Age: Total war. GoT is indeed done, season 8 ruined everything even more than season 7 did.
    I'm very satisfied with the Med 2 mod for now though, or rather the submods for it - DaC is great, and DCI:LA is going to be brilliant when it releases
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    ... and DCI:LA is going to be brilliant when it releases
    I promised Ngugi that that would be the last mod I'll ever play

"Play DCI:LA and then die" as the say in Naples ...
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I promised Ngugi that that would be the last mod I'll ever play

"Play DCI:LA and then die" as the say in Naples ...
    Well I've played it, and it's darn good, so it'd be a death worth dying for
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Just finished reading Fall of Gondolin so yeah. I would love to see similar endeavour as WH trilogy for Tolkien next time. First - Second - Third Age.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Well I've played it, and it's darn good, so it'd be a death worth dying for
    I was a beta tester early on.. like 5 years ago? man, time runs fast
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Souron's Avatar Civis

I know its highly unlikely to happen but as im sure you might be able to tell from my username i would absolutly love a LOTR total war. apart from another proper historical title i cant think of another IP i would love to see adapted more than this.

Taking Thrones of Britannia back to pre-roman Britian

And just like that...WB interactive is probably for sale..which is like nice story, which lead me to some digging....
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/warner-br...eractive-sale/

I read recently about new Amazon TV show, uh so Second Age, not Third....
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...amazon-series/

Plus lower grerat comment about rights...
    https://www.quora.com/Does-Warner-Brothers-own-Lord-of-the-Rings
    Does Warner Brothers own Lord of the Rings?

Short answer:
    No, not really. They only own the copyright for their versions of “The Lord of the Rings" and “The Hobbit" films, and no longer control the film rights, which have reverted to the original owner (Middle Earth Enterprises). The books themselves are owned by the Tolkien Estate (JRR Tolkien's heirs).

Long answer:
    Warner Bros. owns New Line Cinema, which temporarily licensed the rights to make films of “The Lord Of The Rings" starting in the late 1990s. However, the film rights, and some other associated rights (including merchandising) have been owned since 1976 by Saul Zaentz, who owns a company called Middle Earth Enterprises. The license granted to New Line Cinema by Middle Earth Enterprises has now expired. Warner Bros. (as the owners of New Line Cinema) do own the copyright to those Lord of the Rings films, but that only protects the unique elements in those films, and does not allow Warner Bros. to make further Lord of The Rings films. A similar situation applies to “The Hobbit". In other words Warner Bros. own the screenplays and the design (look and feel) of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films. If anyone ever remakes those films they will have to make sure they don't copy anything specific to those films that wasn't in Tolkien's books without permission from Warner Bros.

The Tolkien Estate (controlled by members of Tolkien's family) own the copyright to all of Tolkien's books. They also retain the film rights to all of Tolkien's other books, including “The Silmarillion”.

Amazon Studios have done a deal to purchase the television rights from The Tolkien Estate for certain specific story elements found in the Appendices of “The Lord of the Rings". These story elements relate to the “Second Age", approximately three thousand years before the main events in “The Lord of the Rings". Amazon do not have permission to use any story elements relating to the “Third Age". These television rights are distinct from the film rights, as television is regarded as a different medium. It is possible that Amazon may have also negotiated permission to use elements from Tolkien's book “Unfinished Tales", as a map only found in that book has used as the basis for certain promotional materials for the proposed television series.

Amazon have also done a deal with Warner Bros. presumably to allow them to use some of the designs from “The Lord of the Rings” films directed by Peter Jackson. Amazon have certainly hired one of the designers from Jackson's fims, John Howe, to work on the Amazon series, as well as other people from the films, including Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey.

-------------
    To me the situation is interestingly messy. For past decade anything related was done by WB interactive/EA.., but it was one way or another tied with Films. Even recent Middle-Earth Shadow games were happening during Hobbit/LotR time gap...So this might give the buyer option to use the license for time being and ultimately WB selling interative means for future WB would probably hand out more likely license to others (but we are talking just famous film trilogies..). Because there wonīt be anymore their own game department so why not...So I went looking into who owns what..

Still WB interactive must have some kind of Middle-Earth license to put up those games..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle...in_video_games
    but that got me to check Middle Earth Enterprises....and surprise surprise
    Check timeline
    https://www.middleearth.com/timeline.html
    and licencees
    https://www.middleearth.com/current-licensees.html
    Everybody is there, even Athlon games.

And then the show from Amazon, according to the answer above, they are opperating with Second Age from LotR books but not third age. And because Amazon with Anthon games are preparing some kind of MMO game, they must have some license for that as well...

But interesting part for me is, all the work up to now is connected with LotR/Hobbit. Because there are certain elements in LotR books appendices covering older stuff as well but not single game was based on other books or on combination of other Tolkien books and LotR. What I think, EA, Blizzard,...they are dumb, they are looking just for LotR because everything else is possibly risky unknown, they just see big films. Take time and look at games up to now from EA, WB...everything is LotR related. (or maybe the Estate is harder to negotiate with than ME enterprises?) Amazon is first now to somehow divert and head in different direction although the game developed by Amazon/Athlon is still LotR MMO marked. Still inside LotR books scope. So to me all this basically screams nobody else so far was able or willing to get rights other books like Silmarillion, Unfinished Stories....ye appendices of LotR and Unfinished Stories are covering similar lore..But after all Amazon had to do negotiation with Estate..

So technically CA doesnīt need to care about others like EA/WB, if WB and Athlon are both preparing LotR based game, Middle Earth Enterprises probably is not handling out exclusivity deals and then it is question to get rights from Estate for the stuff like Silmarillion.
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 20, 2020 at 03:32 PM.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

As far as I remember, the Tolkien kids have always been very picky about what they let the IP be used for. The (apparently recently deceased) Christopher Tolkien was famously against the film adaptations,

"In 2001, he expressed doubts over The Lord of the Rings film trilogy directed by Peter Jackson, questioning the viability of a film interpretation that retained the essence of the work, but stressed that this was just his opinion.[18] In a 2012 interview with Le Monde he criticised the films saying: "They gutted the book, making an action film for 15 to 25-year-olds."[19]"

Looks like he resigned from the Tolkien Ltd in 2017 but was still the executor of the Tolkien estate until his dead in January of 2020. Not to sound crass but this is potentially good news for anyone that's hoping to see more Lord of the Rings content produced. Looks like Warner Brothers owns the rights to produce Lord of the Rings games, but it's unclear if they're exclusive. I'm fairly sure they are though, since the deal with Amazon for the TV rights is exclusive, as was the deal for the movie rights. Seems like they've actually owned the rights for awhile, but licensed it out to EA for awhile until like 2007 when the rights reverted back to Warner Brothers.

Hopefully this is good news for those of us who have been salivating for this game for years .

edit: Also, I have no idea how this Amazon series is supposed to work. Is it going to just be the 3 books again, or is it going to cover events outside of what was covered in the movies already? I'm CONFUSED.
    Last edited by Akar; June 20, 2020 at 09:00 PM.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast