Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Island of Santorini

Darkside's Avatar Miles

Default The Island of Santorini

From what I understand about this, the mythical story of Atlantis has a most ardent champion with the annals of history. Apparently the island of Santorini hosted a greatly advanced civilization (archaeological remains have found evidence of flushing toilets....OMG flushing toilets what the heck ya know?) that flourished until the volcano that the island sat upon completely annihilated it. The drawings depicting atlantis are exactly identical with the topography of santorini: a crescent-shaped island, etc., etc., of course the island doesn't look like that after the eruption BUT scientists have analyzed the island's contemporary layout and have extrapolated it's possible topography from the time prior to the eruption, and it matches the drawings of atlantis. Crazy huh?
    "So parents...hold on to your hats...the federal government is gonna give you 400 dollars for every child you have...so if you've got 1,000 kids...you're on freaking easy street. That's where you go, what is the government thinking? I mean wha, what do Congressmans' children eat -- MITES?!? All 400 dollars does is remind me how screwed I am; You'd be better off if you're Congressman just came to your door, and pissed on your foot."

BSADDB, RIP Brooster (09/2007)

Steel of Fury's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Island of Santorini

Interesting. The place does have a rich history.

Comes Domesticorum

I have no reason to believe that Atlantis wasn't an allegory.

Romios's Avatar Senator

If that theory was true something that we could use as evidence would have been found by now.
    I suggest you visit Thera(Santorini) in the summer and enjoy your holidays there and maybe care a little less about the myth of Atlantis.
    Homo homini lupus

SepulchreUK's Avatar Miles

Atlantis is a fable, but like all good fables it has at it's core a kernel of truth. I don't think there was some super advanced civilisation prior to the rise of Egypt or Hellenic Greece that we do not know about, but the idea of a prosperous island society being wiped out by a calamity is not beyond the realms of intelligent hypothesis.
    Unfortunatey the mists of time will forever cloud the truth of the matter.
    Wit is educated insolence ~ Aristole

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. ~ Churchill

That is the essential difference between Britain and the rest of the world. The French see a table and see a potential for dinner. The British see the potential to play wiff-waff. ~ Boris Johnson

Yay, I went to Santorini last summer! The sunsets were beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    From what I understand about this, the mythical story of Atlantis has a most ardent champion with the annals of history. Apparently the island of Santorini hosted a greatly advanced civilization (archaeological remains have found evidence of flushing toilets....OMG flushing toilets what the heck ya know?) that flourished until the volcano that the island sat upon completely annihilated it. The drawings depicting atlantis are exactly identical with the topography of santorini: a crescent-shaped island, etc., etc., of course the island doesn't look like that after the eruption BUT scientists have analyzed the island's contemporary layout and have extrapolated it's possible topography from the time prior to the eruption, and it matches the drawings of atlantis. Crazy huh?
    Or wishful thinking.

If the myth of Atlantis is based on a historical event then the Thera eruption is a likely candidate. However, for all your excitement it contradicts Plato's myth of Atlantis. It's in the wrong place, the eruption occured about 8000 years after Atlantis was destroyed.

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Plato probably created his story gathering myths. Don't forget that the eruption of Thera happened a millenium before his time. He put it in the Atlantic cause it's more exciting there.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Or at least a great unknown for contemporary Athenians. An off the edge of the map, here be monsters approach to story telling.

rusina's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jessabella View Post
    The sunsets were beautiful
    I don't think that they are so special.

And people who lived there were minoans.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Atlantis is a fable, but like all good fables it has at it's core a kernel of truth. I don't think there was some super advanced civilisation prior to the rise of Egypt or Hellenic Greece that we do not know about, but the idea of a prosperous island society being wiped out by a calamity is not beyond the realms of intelligent hypothesis.
    I think that truism is too well worn – it this case Atlantis is not a fable but a Platonic allegory I don’t see any reason to expect a nugget of truth or whatever.

Besides a much better candidate for inspiring Plato about how to do in Atlantis is probably the fate of Helike (http://www.helike.org/).
    Last edited by conon394; February 10, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by rusina View Post
    I don't think that they are so special.

And people who lived there were minoans.
    Part of the Minoan world for certain.
    The island was thenfter the 10th cent) inhabited by Dorian settlers form Sparta
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Opifex

It is almost 100% certain that Atlantis was the Minoan civilization. People would rather overlook it in favor of Helike or Santorini because it adds more mystery. Also, perhaps Plato took inspiration from the Helike/Santorini submersions and applied it to the Minoans, who had completely disappeared by his time.

By all accounts Crete and the Palace of Minos are the proper origin: a spectacular, highly advanced civilization, which dwarfs contemporary Greek Mycenae in comparison, and has a high degree of self-reflective greatness (painting its own warriors and athletes upon walls, etc).

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    It is almost 100% certain that Atlantis was the Minoan civilization. People would rather overlook it in favor of Helike or Santorini because it adds more mystery. Also, perhaps Plato took inspiration from the Helike/Santorini submersions and applied it to the Minoans, who had completely disappeared by his time.
    Santorini was a Minoan colony though
    Gems of TWC:

Opifex

Yes but they say that Santorini ITSELF was Atlantis, while Minoans.. were just the Minoans. You're right that Santorini was just an offshoot of the larger Minoan civilization, and I'm drawing attention to the fact that we probably know what civilization was Atlantis, and it's not so mysterious, so we can study it and understand it as if it were Atlantis, i.e. with the same impressed admiration.

But I think we would rather focus on the mysterious and the unknown instead, because as long as there are no hard facts about it, it can be as fantastical as possible (in our own minds). I.e. Why shouldn't have the Atlanteans invented space-ships and tanks? The limit becomes our own imagination.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Yes but they say that Santorini ITSELF was Atlantis, while Minoans.. were just the Minoans.
    Imo, after a thousand years the myths of Santorini's destruction and the fall and wonders of the Minoan civilisation combined and then got embellished by Plato to sell his best seller.
    Gems of TWC:

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

It is almost 100% certain that Atlantis was the Minoan civilization.
    Huh Sig – I just don’t see what you say that. Plato needed an allegory and made one up he added a bit mysticism and quasi history by referencing Egypt, A sinking city – something not too fantastic given the fate of Helike and put it out in the Atlantic far away. Its a made up parable – no place is Atlantis.

I guess my stance would be sans an interview with Plato ala Odysseus we never going to have a real answer (until we shuffle off this mortal coil... perhaps; although Plato might have already been badgered into silence by Socrates.). As such I just do see any reason to look for a real Atlantis - its Plato's made up story that has no roots in Greek mythology - anymore than looking for the kernel of evidence in Star Trek
    Last edited by conon394; February 10, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Opifex

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Huh Sig – I just don’t see what you say that. Plato needed an allegory and made one up he added a bit mysticism and quasi history by referencing Egypt, A sinking city – something not too fantastic given the fate of Helike and put it out in the Atlantic far away. Its a made up parable – no place is Atlantis.
    Nevertheless there remained in Greek consciousness the sentiment of a lofty civilization that existed and then disappeared, when their own culture was young and not so developed. Plato took this, added finishing touches to it, but underlying ideas like that don't just come from thin air. A story like the Iliad doesn't come from thin air, etc. Plato's need for an allegory was satisfied by using a powerful emotion of a long-lost civilization that affected and moved his contemporary Greeks, exactly as it continues to do so to this day.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Atlantis was a mythical place, on a mythical continent.
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

It is almost 100% certain that Atlantis was the Minoan civilization.
    No.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast