Thread: The "I just saw" thread

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

I just binged season 2 of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, really, really weird but also a ton of fun. Then I went to check whether another season had been confirmed and I found out it's cancelled so that's kicked my mood down.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The Prestige. Christopher Nolan tries to pull the wool over his audience. Though it was a good movie other than the dumb twist which the film takes at the end, which is really an attempt at misdirection, don't be fooled.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Netflix's Bright

And quite enjoyed it. Yeah, the writing is erratic at times and the pacing is uneven, but the acting is good, fights tense and the setting is veeeery interesting. very excited a sequel was approved, wanna see more of this world and more details on the Dark Lord
    Last edited by Beregond; January 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM.

Patrician

I also saw Bright. It was pretty cool, kind of reminded me of the Dresden Files. Yeah it had its problems but it did the job well in my opinion.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

just as a movie, leaving all the baggage aside, its darn mediocre. cop drama with macguffin that it doesnt need, nothing woudve been lost if it didnt have a poor mans shadowrun setting.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    I just binged season 2 of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, really, really weird but also a ton of fun. Then I went to check whether another season had been confirmed and I found out it's cancelled so that's kicked my mood down.
    I've only seen season 1, and that was my favorite Netflix show ever. Far better than Stranger Things if you ask me. It's a shame it never got the attention it deserved.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Jigsaw (2017, i think, or 2016).

Garbage.

Moreover, i am not sure who thought it would be an awesome idea to have the most unrealistic death (i am sure there is virtually no blood if your head gets cut to 8 parts; it just opens like pedals ) be the final scene of the movie.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Dunkirk

Pretty nice.
    Less is more.

Love how characters talk through their actions, not words, in this one.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The Prestige. Christopher Nolan tries to pull the wool over his audience. Though it was a good movie other than the dumb twist which the film takes at the end, which is really an attempt at misdirection, don't be fooled.
    I enjoyed this, very much. Sweet details,
    spoiler
    like Wolverine's accent (its NQR, but then its revealed he's a toff Pom pretending to be a Yank...).
    spoiler
    I thought the end was left ambiguous? I do agree about the misdirection, "Tesla" is code for "this bit is just fantasy, the diary is fiction" and the multiple bodies were waxworks to mess with Batman's head.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Patrician

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yeah I thought the same thing. The Tesla machine is actually real in the book. However in the movie it is clearly an attempt at misdirection by Nolan. As Michael Caine said at the beginning of the film "there is a double" it's all about showmanship and making the trick work. Hugh Jackman is obviously using trained actors to impersonate him and he clearly has the money to pull these things off. The dead clones are probably wax dolls as you said or dead actors. Maybe even corpses that have been made to look like Hugh Jackman. Corpses decay in water and so Christian Bale would not have been able to see their faces that well, it would be easy to make them look like Hugh Jackman.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

DARKEST HOUR.

Hotly tipped to win big at the Oscar's, so I was expecting a lot. Oldman is one of my favourite actors of all time and he doesn't disappoint. However, the direction is slightly jarring. It's filmed in a style where the budget looks really low, there's actually a shot of the infamous fleet sent to rescue the British army at Dunkirk, which looks like it was green screen in a bath tub with tiny models. There's very little of the war on screen, which I felt was glaringly missing, they even say at one point, 'you'd hardly think there was a war on.' As a window on the political back biting in the shadows of parliament it falls a little short, they just don't quite convey how close Churchill was to being ousted before he even got going.

Not a bad movie, but I expected more from one so hotly tipped.

The Voices

Pretty funny.
    Just like my life.

Except without the heads.

Body Parts

Thrilling.
    Yet boring.

This entire movie rests on the premise that body parts of a killer can be deadly themselves after they're amputated.
    Yeah, you read that right.
    Even his legs are dodgy.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; January 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Body Parts

Thrilling.
    Yet boring.

This entire movie rests on the premise that body parts of a killer can be deadly themselves after they're amputated.
    Yeah, you read that right.
    Even his legs are dodgy.
    God that sounds amazing.
    I just watched Prisoners. I kinda feel that its weird hat Jake Gyllenhaal's character is called Loki, and yet there's no reference at all to anything trickster-ish or whatever. I doubt its a common name, so it kinda just felt weird.
    The ending was a bit weird as well.
    In my opinion Hugh Jackman either should've just died in the hole, or it should've shown his rescue rather than the half-hearted "suspense/questions left unanswered" ending.

Blog Entries

Hadn't heard of this film before it popped up on my YT feed. I was pleasantly surprised. The bad, the music is terrible though not too intrusive. The acting, in some parts is wooden especially ( Jeffrey Donovan - Jack ). However the story is pretty solid, nothing totally original and it unfolds slowly after the initial 'everyone dies' sequence at the start, but doesn't drag. Effects are good, sets are good, the tension during the action scenes is pretty good.

Overall pretty decent post apocalyptic '30 days of night/I Legend' zombie-ish movie.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    I just watched Prisoners. I kinda feel that its weird hat Jake Gyllenhaal's character is called Loki, and yet there's no reference at all to anything trickster-ish or whatever. I doubt its a common name, so it kinda just felt weird.
    The ending was a bit weird as well.
    In my opinion Hugh Jackman either should've just died in the hole, or it should've shown his rescue rather than the half-hearted "suspense/questions left unanswered" ending.
    Imo it was a bad film. Plot was convoluted, and the good part of it could have done far better (there is a nice story by Guy de Maupassant, titled 'Muaron, the school-teacher'; it has the good part of this plot).
    The ending... well...
    i agree with you; a very bad idea. Also i was angry that Logan ( ) just did no wrong beating the crap out of media conspiracy theorist Alex Jones )
    Last edited by Kyriakos; January 14, 2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Professor Marston And The Wonder Women

Not bad.

He had an interesting life... he and his two wife's...

Blog Entries

Hard Sun.

Pretty good mini series from the BBC and the writer of 'Luther.' Think Luther meets X-Files. Multi-layered sub plots keep the pace high while the main action is never far off. The main plot of a news leak after a flash drive is found by two police officers revealing a coming event known as 'Hard Sun.' MI5 are hunting the drive and one of the officers hands part of the drive info over to the press. MI5 initiate a cover up, but the crazies have heard enough start coming out the woodwork. Has it's flaws, some of the dialogue is a little forced between the two officers, but overall enjoyable..

All available on BBC Iplayer now.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Bullet Head: it's reservoir dog's little brother with a twist, a B movie with good actors that's worth watching.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I'll have to check out your suggestions Halie and John Doe, I really liked Luther and Resevoir Dogs was ok.
    I've been watching Season 3 and 4 of Black Mirror. They've all been pretty good, barring one or two terrible ones.