Page 415 of 419 FirstFirst ... 315365390405406407408409410411412413414415416417418419 LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,300 of 8372

Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quite frankly I don't think TWC could support the weight of a Technical Administrator Divus.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

What about a Technical Administrator Diva?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I think I need to retire from hex just long enough to get Divus and then rejoin!
    hey that's my plan

Honestly, I still fail to understand why one has to have retired from Hex to be eligible, it's the only large award (the only award at all) that has this kind of limitation
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

There is already an award for Admin. Divus is something "extra special" in the "Roman Tradition." Anyway, here is the original proposal

I think I need to retire from hex just long enough to get Divus and then rejoin!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Honestly, I still fail to understand why one has to have retired from Hex to be eligible, it's the only large award (the only award at all) that has this kind of limitation
    To avoid this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    There is already an award for Admin. Divus is something "extra special" in the "Roman Tradition." Anyway, here is the original proposal
    Which award?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    To avoid this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    sorry but no, it's the Curia that gives the award, not the Hexagon council
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    ...needless to say the application period is a bit EXTENDED.

If someone applies before Christmas I will paste a tutu on my avatar and keep it until the new year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    I will apply.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Can I reneg if it's the incumbent?
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

We have an applicant for Magistrate.
    Debate Here about his candidacy
    and vote here.

[QUOTE=Flinn;16160420]Which award? /QUOTE]
    Is this your new thing?

Novus
    Awarded for exceptional contributions to the site in the capacity of a staff member.

Blog Entries

Which award?
    Is this your new thing?

Novus
    Awarded for exceptional contributions to the site in the capacity of a staff member.
    point me to where it says Administrator, thanks

edit: I don't really want to pursue this, it's pointless, but insisting that the fact that it makes sense that in order to get the Divus, one administrator has to resign, is plain BS, period. It might have had sense 17 years ago, it has zero sense today.
    Last edited by Flinn; December 22, 2023 at 06:12 AM.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

edit: I don't really want to pursue this, it's pointless, but insisting that the fact that it makes sense that in order to get the Divus, one administrator has to resign, is plain BS, period. It might have had sense 17 years ago, it has zero sense today.
    I think it had some merit, or was thought to have had enough merit, way back when the site was still quite small and in terms of active membership was much more closely knit. Admins more likely to have been there "from the start", been known by many, but have a faster turnover when admin duties were far less intensive in terms of workload than they became later. Not sure if that's any of the thinking that was actually behind it at the time, but it made some sense when I looked at it for the first time ages ago.

Maybe the admin turnover rate remained relatively in not too long and not too short long enough for it to not be a second thought for a while, and I think at some point it did feel like the rule behind the award was no longer reflective of admin duties and tenure. I can't speak for every admin of course but I feel like most didn't feel it was worthy of a change even then, partly explained by Adrian's pic, and partly because admin work was its own reward in staff as well as its own curse . Amending the requirements would feel self serving, making a new award for admins in the same vein as all other staff branches also felt the same way. The way I saw it at least, the ball had to stop somewhere as far as staff awards go before it became a merit badge collection competition (let's all ignore the existence of Gig for a moment...), where better to have somewhat more distinct standards than at the admin level?

Don't hold your breath. This place will only acknowledge your contributions to the extent you demand it does, and then you have to bank on 51% of them will be guilted to your position. My advice? Don't resign. Never give up any power. It is the only way to retain your influence. Once you're out, you're out, and nobody will care what you've done, could do, or did do. The best anyone can do is bring up pedantic arguments after the fact.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; December 24, 2023 at 02:07 AM.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Funny enough and completely unrelated I swear, I was thinking of a name change to Rodrigo de Borja

Administrators are staff. (seriously, you are taking piss here)

The rationale for the creation by the proposer makes it clear why it i done the way it is done.
    Why is now any different? If anything, there are too many members with it. But (and a big "but"), I hate it when one needs to climb Everest to get any recognition.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Administrators are staff. (seriously, you are taking piss here)

The rationale for the creation by the proposer makes it clear why it i done the way it is done.
    Why is now any different? If anything, there are too many members with it. But (and a big "but"), I hate it when one needs to climb Everest to get any recognition.
    There really doesn't need to be an argument over this issue, the semantics are both important and somewhat unimportant here.

Yes, Novus is for any and all staff. Admins are a part of that for sure. But it's not exclusive to them or any part of staff either. Divus is exclusive to admins, but with the extra caveat of "exceptional duty". As opposed to other staff medals, which are all specific to a branch and time served + merit combos. All those staff medals started as strictly time-in-grade medals as well before considering work done and merit in their awarding as well. Admins never had something that was based solely in time served. Divus is it, and after resignation + merit.

Equating medals/awards matters only in the sense of why/how its awarded. The argument can be made (and it seems Flinn has made it) that perhaps admins should have a similar time-in-grade medal akin to other staff ones. Novus is in a different leauge, and Divus a different league from that as well. I've given my thoughts on an admin TIG medal as well and don't think it's worth discussing further either unless someone wants to make a proposal for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    There really doesn't need to be an argument over this issue, the semantics are both important and somewhat unimportant here.

Yes, Novus is for any and all staff. Admins are a part of that for sure. But it's not exclusive to them or any part of staff either. Divus is exclusive to admins, but with the extra caveat of "exceptional duty". As opposed to other staff medals, which are all specific to a branch and time served + merit combos. All those staff medals started as strictly time-in-grade medals as well before considering work done and merit in their awarding as well. Admins never had something that was based solely in time served. Divus is it, and after resignation + merit.

Equating medals/awards matters only in the sense of why/how its awarded. The argument can be made (and it seems Flinn has made it) that perhaps admins should have a similar time-in-grade medal akin to other staff ones. Novus is in a different leauge, and Divus a different league from that as well. I've given my thoughts on an admin TIG medal as well and don't think it's worth discussing further either unless someone wants to make a proposal for it.
    Semantics? No, admin is staff ... that's not semantics, that's what it is.

Divus was never meant to be on the same level as the other Large Awards.

While my opinion was different in the past, I have concluded that less is more. The site should go back to just one badge for citizenship, Civitates (If don't like the Roman style name, then Citizen. Keep it simple). I do see a need for a graduated scale of modding. Have a 1st degree, 2nd (Artifex), and third, Opifex. Done. We do not need any other large awards except one, Phalera.

You need to get the Curia out of the award business and do what it was meant to do; Award and reward members with a greater stake in the site.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The Consul has resigned by way of PM to me, I have taken up oversight until an election completes. The election is up, other odds and ends I'll look at when I can be on desktop at the other end of the day.

If I were to state the exact reasons for why I have resigned, then I would be as guilty myself. Enjoy the "wink"

I am too old needlessly subject myself to this nonsense. I have been told by over a dozen active members to stop bothering; I think it is about time I listen.

I will grab some popcorn and enjoy the spectacle.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Alright, had a bit of time to clean up some ends.

Right now I'm the admin stand-in for the curial office until the election completes. It may take time. mishkin has made an interesting discussion here which I encourage all citizens poking around here to review.

In the meantime though I'll start on a Report and finalize some tally-taking in the Tabularium.