Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Komnenian/Khwaraz Unit Roster

Default Re: My new Komnenian/Khwaraz Unit Roster

Quote Originally Posted by smoofy42 View Post
    I just wanted to say that I love this mod! Also, I was wondering if there was any chance this would be made to be compatible with SSMAP?
    I was actually considering that right now but I don't know for sure if or which version some or all of the units would make it in. I would like to include some of these but FP and Ravenant have some say and also I have no idea when we will have time to do that.

Caudillo87 already was kind enough to make it available to the community so I am sure they will show up in some submods eventually.

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

hi there! wanted to try this out because I find them units stunning! I reinstalled a fresh 6.3(not 6.4), replaced the data folder and started the game. nothing happened, the romans are the same... what went wrong?

Caudillo87's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
    hi there! wanted to try this out because I find them units stunning! I reinstalled a fresh 6.3(not 6.4), replaced the data folder and started the game. nothing happened, the romans are the same... what went wrong?
    It has to be 6.4

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

ah, thought it was the other way around. thanks!
    works now and they're great looking! really authentic. A little bit more diversity would'nt harm the stunning emperors guard though, but thats nothing. and unitcards, are they coming? +rep
    Last edited by Aguirre; June 04, 2012 at 10:11 AM.

ah, thought it was the other way around. thanks!
    works now and they're great looking! really authentic. A little bit more diversity would'nt harm the stunning emperors guard though, but thats nothing. and unitcards, are they coming? +rep
    Exellent! Some criticism, I love it, what kind of diversity do you mean? Armor, color, skins, accs? What do you think should be added to make it better? I am all ears.

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Weell, I like that the emperors guard wear uniform in terms of shield and armor, but maybe som mixed faces and small bags in their belts, stuff like that. Im in a hurry for work so I cant look for myself, but maybe the Scoutotai suffer the same thing? they could imo wear a variation of armors and helmets, faces and equipment. the pikemen though are imo beyond perfect! gah!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    I was actually considering that right now but I don't know for sure if or which version some or all of the units would make it in. I would like to include some of these but FP and Ravenant have some say and also I have no idea when we will have time to do that.

Caudillo87 already was kind enough to make it available to the community so I am sure they will show up in some submods eventually.
    Hope FP and Ravenant will accept even if it isn't for now. That would give some variety of ERE unit roster.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Weell, I like that the emperors guard wear uniform in terms of shield and armor, but maybe som mixed faces and small bags in their belts, stuff like that. Im in a hurry for work so I cant look for myself, but maybe the Scoutotai suffer the same thing? they could imo wear a variation of armors and helmets, faces and equipment. the pikemen though are imo beyond perfect! gah!
    I would take care with big variation of units in one squad. Different faces - yes, would be great. But Soldiers with different armors in one squad is historical a sight of a less professional army - like the barbarians at the time of the roman empire. The (elite)units of the romans on their part looked VERY similar - especially the armors and helmets. So in my opinion the emperors guard is quite perfect.

PS @Caudillo87: Are you still working on the kwarezm / persian unit rooster?

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto-X View Post
    I would take care with big variation of units in one squad. Different faces - yes, would be great. But Soldiers with different armors in one squad is historical a sight of a less professional army - like the barbarians at the time of the roman empire. The (elite)units of the romans on their part looked VERY similar - especially the armors and helmets. So in my opinion the emperors guard is quite perfect.

PS @Caudillo87: Are you still working on the kwarezm / persian unit rooster?
    It's done and it's in the khwaraz unit folder, can't add them all because of the unit limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Caudillo87 View Post
    It's done and it's in the khwaraz unit folder, can't add them all because of the unit limit.

I'm not a modder, so my questions are maybe quit stupid:
    You can't replace existing units / add new units because there is a unit limit? Could you solve that problem if you delete some merc-units or a whole faction like aragon, norway or cumans? 'Cause I would love to see more of your units in the game - units like in post #147

Icon14 Re: My new Komnenian/Khwaraz Unit Roster

I'm not a modder, so my questions are maybe quit stupid:
    You can't replace existing units / add new units because there is a unit limit? Could you solve that problem if you delete some merc-units or a whole faction like aragon, norway or cumans? 'Cause I would love to see more of your units in the game - units like in post #147
    Yes that would Be the only way, of which would take a lot of time because you would have to change a lot of files. And post #147 has nothing to do with SS 6.4, they are units I am making in my own mod.

Very nice units. I've only recently discovered them. If I may make a couple of suggestions, having not yet downloaded this mod – as I have not installed SS6.4 yet and have no time for a new campaign.

The text on the labaron is in modern Greek. Perhaps you could use the Byzantine ΤΟΥΤΩ ΝΙΚΑ

Leo’s Strategikon recommends that the shields of every regiment should be of a uniform colour. As a regiment of about 1000 men is a realistic number for an average Total War battle, I should think that the majority of infantry units should have a common theme for their shields.

Spears were of three kinds. Standard issue for infantrymen were long spears, long enough for 4 rows to protrude ahead of the phalanx formation. This has been estimated to between 3.9 and 6 meters (Timothy Dawson, ‘Fit for the task’: equipment sizes and the transmission of military lore, sixth to tenth centuries. Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies Vol. 31 No. 1 (2007) 1–12). I am not aware that military manuals have survived from the later periods so, unless there is some new evidence, I should think these estimates are the best we have. A length of 3.9m would just work for ranks 0.64 cm apart but M2TW closed ranks seem further apart and probably longer spears would be required. There were also non-standard short spears of length estimated to 2.5-3.1 meters minimum. Not clear who these were issued to, I imagine they may have been for garrisons, not intended to fight in phalanx formations. Indeed garrison spearmen were recommended to be issued during sieges with up to 10 spears (not javelins), which were therefore unlikely to be long. From the screenshots I could not see any long spears other than maybe for the cavalry. I know Stainless Steel at least up to SS6.3 also only use short spears for the ERE spearmen but maybe this should be corrected. CBUR Contaratoi in Chivalry II - the Sicilian Vespers correctly have long spears.

The third type of spear is the menavlon, which according to Wikipedia and the above article and the most likely interpretation of the military manuals was a short pike, planted to the ground by a single row of menavlatoi - either in front of the phalanx or if need be to protect aggressive Byzantine skirmishers from cavalry charges or to bridge gaps in the phalanx formations left for cavalry to go in and out. I do not doubt the battle AI would be unable to use the Menavlatoi correctly in any of these three roles but this is not going to be the biggest worry about the battle AI.The menavlon existed at least since the 10th C and it is mentioned by Leo the Wise (8th C).

The Emperor’s guard, if I understand it correctly, was a small unit of some 1000 men, one third Byzantine, one third non-Byzantine Christian (presumably the Varangian Guard) and one third asiatic archers. Maybe there should be restricted recruitment, deployment and retraining of these special elite units.

The two front rows of horsemen were recommended to have the heads, necks and sternum of their horses protected with armour. This would practically mean that heavy lancers should all have this horse armour, so that they could be placed in two rows in front of lighter horsemen.

Good luck with the Khwarezmians. A tough task.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    Very nice units. I've only recently discovered them. If I may make a couple of suggestions, having not yet downloaded this mod – as I have not installed SS6.4 yet and have no time for a new campaign.

The text on the labaron is in modern Greek. Perhaps you could use the Byzantine ΤΟΥΤΩ ΝΙΚΑ

Leo’s Strategikon recommends that the shields of every regiment should be of a uniform colour. As a regiment of about 1000 men is a realistic number for an average Total War battle, I should think that the majority of infantry units should have a common theme for their shields.

Spears were of three kinds. Standard issue for infantrymen were long spears, long enough for 4 rows to protrude ahead of the phalanx formation. This has been estimated to between 3.9 and 6 meters (Timothy Dawson, ‘Fit for the task’: equipment sizes and the transmission of military lore, sixth to tenth centuries. Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies Vol. 31 No. 1 (2007) 1–12). I am not aware that military manuals have survived from the later periods so, unless there is some new evidence, I should think these estimates are the best we have. A length of 3.9m would just work for ranks 0.64 cm apart but M2TW closed ranks seem further apart and probably longer spears would be required. There were also non-standard short spears of length estimated to 2.5-3.1 meters minimum. Not clear who these were issued to, I imagine they may have been for garrisons, not intended to fight in phalanx formations. Indeed garrison spearmen were recommended to be issued during sieges with up to 10 spears (not javelins), which were therefore unlikely to be long. From the screenshots I could not see any long spears other than maybe for the cavalry. I know Stainless Steel at least up to SS6.3 also only use short spears for the ERE spearmen but maybe this should be corrected. CBUR Contaratoi in Chivalry II - the Sicilian Vespers correctly have long spears.

The third type of spear is the menavlon, which according to Wikipedia and the above article and the most likely interpretation of the military manuals was a short pike, planted to the ground by a single row of menavlatoi - either in front of the phalanx or if need be to protect aggressive Byzantine skirmishers from cavalry charges or to bridge gaps in the phalanx formations left for cavalry to go in and out. I do not doubt the battle AI would be unable to use the Menavlatoi correctly in any of these three roles but this is not going to be the biggest worry about the battle AI.The menavlon existed at least since the 10th C and it is mentioned by Leo the Wise (8th C).

The Emperor’s guard, if I understand it correctly, was a small unit of some 1000 men, one third Byzantine, one third non-Byzantine Christian (presumably the Varangian Guard) and one third asiatic archers. Maybe there should be restricted recruitment, deployment and retraining of these special elite units.

The two front rows of horsemen were recommended to have the heads, necks and sternum of their horses protected with armour. This would practically mean that heavy lancers should all have this horse armour, so that they could be placed in two rows in front of lighter horsemen.

Good luck with the Khwarezmians. A tough task.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will fix the banner to use Byzantine Greek but as for the rest its not my call. I just fixed the "look" of the units not how they are made to fight and I only updated whatever the CBUR Team made, I did not add or removed. But your suggestions are absolutely correct and I would love to make an accurate roster but I am limited by the game engine of which modding would be illegal. Enjoy the units when you are able to download.

Perun74's Avatar Foederatus

Caudillo87
    Very nice units, bravo
    Maybe I found another bug:
    I play an early campaign with the byzantine empire. If I hire one of the 2 mercenary units "Mercenary Spearmen" and/or "Macemen" and I start a fight on the battle-map, I get a CTD.
    Does the battle_models_db-file causes this bug? Because the log-file is empty...
    I have the same problem. In my unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures folder are:
    en_lmail_hmail_teutonic_order.texture
    en_lmail_hmail_teutonic_order_livonian.texture
    en_lmail_hmail_teutonic1.texture

and missing EN_Lmail_Hmail_teutonic_order_normal.texture file.
    How can I resolve this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Perun74 View Post
    Caudillo87
    Very nice units, bravo

I have the same problem. In my unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures folder are:
    en_lmail_hmail_teutonic_order.texture
    en_lmail_hmail_teutonic_order_livonian.texture
    en_lmail_hmail_teutonic1.texture

and missing EN_Lmail_Hmail_teutonic_order_normal.texture file.
    How can I resolve this problem?
    I solved the problem on this way:
    (battle_models_db-file)
    80 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_teutonic_order.texture
    87 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_teutonic_order_normal.texture

changed to

80 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_teutonic_order.texture
    75 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_teutonic1.texture

for macemen and mercenary_spearmen.

It works but the models have massive graphical bugs on the battlefield - so don't zoom in It's the only thing I changed in the battle_models_db-file, so if you want you can use my file. Just unpack the file and copy to .../data/unit_models

Mephisto-X
    Thank you
    +1

Mephisto-X
    I found another solution. I just took en_lmail_hmail_teutonic_order_normal.texture file from DLV and put him in SS.

Very nice,good to see some improvements to some of the Persian Units!

Dear Mr Mod Man, this is a great submod, i love the look of it!

I downloaded the mod, and extracted it to the SS main folder, the one that is grouped with the vanilla campaigns like Britannic etc.

When it was extracting, it did not ask to overwrite anything, so i thought somthing was wrong, and once in game, my units have not changed.

So i must have installed it wrong, I have the latest version 6.4.

I have this submod, and the Turksh Project both on my computer and just need to install them properly and im ready to roll on my new campaign

Kind Regars and Thanks in advance for any help i might be lucky enough to get

Libertus

I would like to know if this works with Battle for the Baltic submod (I really like adding Sweden to the map!) I installed that, then this unit roster and a lot of my units were basically Chrome looking or looking very weird with fused textures, would the cause of that be the 2 mods clashing or an in-proper install? If not, is there any advice I can take to get both of them working together? Thanks