Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New units faction roster proposals- Name of unit and brief history (suggestions with content appreciated)

Default Re: New units faction roster proposals- Name of unit and brief history (suggestions with content appreciated)

For Hungary: for province city of Slovakia - give huge amount money from minig gold https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremnica
    https://www.academia.edu/3515002/The...e_of_P%C3%A9cs

Default Re: New units faction roster proposals- Name of unit and brief history (suggestions with content appreciated)

Majkl's Avatar Miles

HUNGARY - WIP - ROSTER

Basic unit of administration in medieval hungarian kingdom since beginning up to cca 13th century(things changed in 13th century a bit.. will explain later) was lat. "comitatus" or "districtus, mega civitatus" (slavic - "medzä", magyar derived from slavic "megye" later "vármegye"). Comitatus was superior administrative, economical, judicial and military unit. Only kings court lat. "Curia regis" was above comitatus. Comitatus had private nature, it belonged to king. Head of comitatus was lat. comes (slavic - "span", magyar derived from slavic - ispan). He was answerable only to a king. Comitatus was responsible for raising an army. Each castle (back than it was more like bunch of settlement with some fortified center, mostly of wood and earth construction)..so each castle had lands that belonged to it. Those lands were inhabited by lat. "castrenses", they were producing food, tools, etc. to support castle, its inhabitants and warriors lat. cives and milites. Miles/Milites were professional warriors mentioned in close proximity to king lat. dux or rex (depends on source) or his court lat. Curia regis or any other warrior of highest nobles in royal court for example lat. comes palatinus, administrator of royal court, later also right hand of king. Cives were basically defenders of said castles and proto-cities. They were warrior class of castle inhabitants - castrenses. Nevertheless they were working on fields and did like any other castrenses. They were not separate group. There were also civiles. They were part of castrenses but they were personally free but still economically dependant. They had to pay 8 denares for landhold. He could recompensate half of that with his service on castle. The only difference between cives and civiles was that civiles were personally free and economically dependent while cives were personally and economically dependent on castles. Iobagiones lat. Iobbagiones were free lat. liberi men that were serving on castles so even thou I did not found explicitly stated that they are basically civiles because i was using more books while compilating this, I would say that indeed Civiles = Iobaggiones.

1. Comitatus army: So basically "soft" core of Hungarian army from 1000 to beginning of 13th century was made of comitatus men. It includes ALL free men (lat. Iobaggiones), guests (lat. hospites) made of foreign warriors settled in hungary - good example are saxons in Spiš county (lat. Scepusium) who got collective privilagies in 1243 and castle defenders (lat. cives).
    2. Beside comitatus army, there were units of light cavalry - magyars and other nomads.
    3. Another part was made of religious and secular diginitaries (mostly from kings close circle/royal court) and their personal bodyguards - miles.(Those are basically nobles of early feudal state)
    4. Last and probably most important (though not most numerous) part was kings personal retinue - again miles and hospites that were part of royal court.

Suma summarum: Army composition up to 13th century is made of Cives, Iobaggiones, Hospites, Nomads and Miles.
    I did not get any info about their weapons, equipment, looks etc. because there is probably none. I will keep looking thou. My hypotetical image of mentioned units.

Cives
    Level: Militia
    Most basic of all units is made of rural men who are economically and personally tied to comitatus. They were mostly used in defence of castles and if needed on military campaign. Not really well trained, they probably carried no armor, used spear or small axe and maybe small round shield. Possibility of having bows among some of them. (Proposed units: Spear militia; Bow militia; Axe militia? *I will translate to latin later*)

Iobbagiones
    Level: Feudal
    First semi-professional and personally free men who acted as backbone of comitatus armies. They probably had some basic training. They were obliged to take part in kings military campaign. Armed with spear, padded armor and round/kite shields. Might as well use some head cover made of leather. (Proposed unit: Castle Iobaggiones lat. Iobaggiones castri)

Hospites
    Level: Feudal (they were obliged to take part in military campaign)
    There are two different ways to describe them. First, hospites in rural areas like Spiš county, "Hinderland" etc. Spiš county which had privilagies from king *1243 Province of X Spis lancers*. They were living in 24 villages and had to fully equip 10 lancers. Not specified if cavalry lancers or some foot men. Nevertheless we could say they were very well equipped and probably were trained in art of war. (Possible units: Heavy spearmen in small numbers but good stats?)
    Second there were hospites in kings retinue. They were mostly of German origin and played important role in kings services. I will quote Otto of Freising when describing hungarian army (*1112 +1158): "In kings formation (line?retinue?) there are hospites in a large numbers ... they protect king from all sides.
    ...and in martial arts and armors emulate our (german) magnates and hostes.
    " I was unable to translate it all cuz translation to slovak language I got is kinda weird, would be nice if you could find your own translation. Anyway, two things are important there. Hospites in large numbers in kings guard and emulating of german martial arts and armor. This could represented as some influence in kings bodyguard units in terms of some german symbols, colours and fact that kings retinue is heavy cavalry of western type or it could be represented as stand alone cavalry units. I would rather first option.

Maygars and other nomads

no info yet
    *Current Hungarian nobles could be used, they look fine*

Miles
    Level: Feudal
    Basically most professional units in early army. Serving as personal guard for kings, magnates and high religious diginitaries they can afford best equipment available. Well trained mounted warriors of western type armed with sword, kite shields, metal helmet and chain mail. Decent attack stats, high charge and impressive armour stats, excellent morale.

So this is basically my idea of army up until end of 12th century and beginning of 13th. Open to suggestions and ideas. I been writing this single post for like 6 hours just so it makes any sense lol. Tired as hell gotta sleep. In 13th century it becomes more diverse so I will post later cuz I am really tired. Appearence of units is open to suggestions thou I will also post some of my ideas.. later.

Literature:
    SEGEŠ, V.: Pramene k vojenským dejinám Slovenska 2, 2011 *Sources to military history of Slovakia 2 - years 1000 - 1389*
    ZSOLDOS, A.: Vznik šľachty v stredovekom uhorskom kráľovstve, 2010 *Creation of nobility in medieval Hungary*
    ŽUDEL, J.: Stolice na Slovensku, 1984 *Counties in Slovakia*
    Last edited by Majkl; July 28, 2016 at 04:26 PM.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just found on net. Hungarian angevin COA.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

HUNGARIAN KINGDOM - WIP

I forgot to mention one more class - kings servants lat. servientes regis. They were superior (in terms of social status) to Iobagiones. They were living on their own small to medium sized lands lat. curia/curtis. They were independent from comes comitatus (head of comitatus). Comes had no judicial power over them, only king did. Those servientes were predecessors of nobility(middle and lower nobility; equal to german knights) in hungarian kingdom. Their transformation happened during 13th century (Golden bull of 1222, Decrees from 1267, 1290 and 1298).
    It can be confusing, so little recapitulation.
    Cives - personally and economicaly dependant on Comitatus(administration unit)/comes(head of administration unit) *lowest social status among non-nobles*
    Civiles aka Iobaggiones - personally free but economically dependant (they were cultivating castle lands) *medium social status among non-nobles*
    Servientes regis - personally and economically independent *high social status among non-nobles*;*in 13th century they transform to nobles by Golden bull 1222 and other decrees*

Religious and secular diginitaries as well as most powerfull and rich houses were actual nobles up to 13th century but they were not referred as nobles in todays essence (word lat. nobiles appeared in end on 11th century) they were reffered as lat. maiores natu et digniate which means "bigger" in ancestry and high born.

In beggining of 14th century servientes regni were already considered noble. Their social status was equal to richest and most powerfull houses in kingdom (already mentioned maiores natu et diginiate) but there was antagonism between them. While servients were middle to low noblemen (usually knights etc.) those powerfull individuals which were called maiores natu et diginiate in past are now called lat. barones or magnates. Those two groups of nobles were equal in terms of social status but in reality they were antagonist. Servients often sided with king so they could even power of magnates/barones.
    Iobagiones in 14th century were divided. Majority of them became part of kings servients but only throu kings donation (accordings to written sources). Through donation they become nobles. The rest of them were not noble even thou they were reffered as free men lat. liberi in past. It is result of transformation of comitatus from kings own property to hands of nobility.(lower nobility - servients) But I am not gonna go into details its too complicated. Simply put many of Iobagiones become part of kings servients who achieved status of nobility in 13th century. Those Iobaggiones who did not achieve status of kings servient were slowly degradating to serf class as well as most of cives.
    Nobles were expected to serve in army due to their social status, non-nonbles lat. ignobiles (cives and iobagiones which did not earn donation) were expected to serve in military due to their serfdom (cultivating land)

Damn it is all too complicated I am thinking about making some kind of chart to explain it simply.
    Last edited by Majkl; July 29, 2016 at 07:27 AM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I just read that Hungary didn't rely on infantry before the Angevin dynasty (14th century). Basically, their infantry up to then was mostly constitued only by archers. So during Arpad dynasty, they relied mostly on their cavalry (heavy and light). I'm a bit surprised of this and need to do more research on that point.

Also, I need to see if mounted javelinmen were still used after the 11th century.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Majkl's Avatar Miles

@Lift
    Well, I did read that in past too, thou I do not remember where it was. But I find it really naive and even manipulative.
    Firstly, Great Moravia was politically destroyed in 902/906/907(object of debate). That is what written documents say. Archeology on the other hand says that continuity of settlements was not interrupted.(with few exceptions) We can expect symbiosis between local indigenous Slavic which was majority from beginning and population of new coming nomadic ethnics.
    Now if there was still Slavic population (their survival is proven by archeology and even genetics) there must have been Slavic administrative organization (which was copied from more advanced East Franks). I mean I do not see a reason why would all of that somehow vanish if people and their settlements were not eradicated. (which were not) Another proof of continuity could be case of Nitra principality. Its territorial scope was similar to present day Slovakia.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Principality was serving as seat for heir. It had its own secular and religious administration. I do not know what was purpose of this. Maybe to prepare heir to its own rule? Similar principalities can be found in Poland, Czech, Russia. It is clearly visible that it follows tradition of Nitra principality from 9th century. In years 955 - 1001 it was part of house Arpád dominium, 1001-1029 it belonged to Poles and then it was taken over by hungarians again.

Martial art of Slavic population before existence of Hungarian kingdom was influenced by wars with Franks. We can make our opinion of Slavic warfare based on archeological evidence. 55% of graves with militaries had axes in them (mostly used for warfare); fighting dagger 21,5% of graves; spears 12,5%; swords 6,8%; bows 55,8% of graves. From those few simple numbers we could conclude hypothetical military tradition of Slavic people in Great Moravian period and after. As you see a lot of axes and daggers, little surprise is kind of low percentage of spears and also quite surprising high use of bows. *Graves with bows rarely had any other weapon beside them - dunno if it means something; also bows were single wood bows up to 190cm long*
    Hypothetically Slavic armies of 9/10th century were mostly infantrymen armed with axes(probably shields) and spears and lot of bowmen. Some cavalry for dukes druzhina is expected.
    Now if local Slavic population survived as well as administration of country, why would they abandon their military traditions? I can see some of them adapting to new warfare but hardly all of them.

Secondly, terms I used for warriors were terms historically used according to written documents. If someone wants to claim that all cives/civites/iobagiones who were serving and living on kings lands (castle lands) were rich enough to own a horse, well then that guy must be delusional. Horse was so valuable that it was actually forbidden to sell it abroad. There is simply no way all of them were cavalry men.

Thirdly, how is cavalry supposed to besiege settlements or defend them?

Lastly, I do not know much about nomads but.. did not Cumans, Pechenegs or later Mongols used infantry? As far as I know they did and they were definition of nomadic life. Now hungarian kingdom was created in 1000, 45 years after Battle of Lech river *955* which stopped Magyar raids to west and actually forced them to slowly transform to settled life. Even settled way of life was something Magyars took from Slavic population. It is clearly visible in language borrowings for agricultural tools among others.

My conclusion is that infantry was definitely used. Probably not some kind of heavy proffesional units. And most probably not by Magyar ethnic group, but definitely by Slavs and Vlachs. Most decisive part of army was cavalry thou and that is reflected in written documents as well. If there is any mention of army it is cavalry mostly. It is totally logical thou. Who would waste time describing "some peasants" if core of army was king with his retinue which was definitely made of heavy cavalry. Also horse archers of nomad ethnics were something rare in Europe so they were also often mentioned as some kind of wonder. Common men on the other hand were just usual "buffer" as they were in other European countries and so they simply did not attract attention.
    Just my two cents on that case.

Blog Entries

I tend to think the same. I can't see how the Arpad dynasty could built that kingdom without a minimum of infantry. Also, considering what I saw in the National Hungarian Museum in Budapest, I confirm the use of the weapons you described for the early era (axes, spears and daggers). I also saw scale and lamellar armours, again for the early period.
    Just a small precision regarding Mongols: most of their infantry was composed of foreigners. Each time they conquered a territory, they found the way to implement their own army by incorporating what the said territory could offer as the best.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Majkl's Avatar Miles

I think much more light could be shed upon this argument with archeological findings.. but I do not have access to any at this point. I will keep looking though.
    About those mounted javelinmen.. I have no idea.
    EDIT: Maybe +Marius+ could share his knowledge with us. He is Hrvat so he could have knowledge about medieval Hungary. Also his posts seem like he knows his stuff.
    Last edited by Majkl; July 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

I'd read a lot of migrants (peasants? I think?) moved from France to Hungary in the medieval period, but I never knew the Angevins were involved with Hungary. Were they any relation to the Angevin dynasty of England?

Also on the subject of England, I noticed the mention of knightly orders above for Hungary. I read recently that Edward I of England, in his wars against Scotland (and I assume Wales, too) employed a lot of Templars and Hospitallers to fight in his armies despite it not being a holy war. What's the current situation regarding the recruitment of Templar and Hospitaller units in that part of the world? I've only played as Outremer so far so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

French colonization happened but it was of marginal importance I think. Much more important was german colonization, especially after Mongol raid when circa one third of population was gone. Mostly damage was caused in central part because there were no forests for peasant to run to and very few fortified settlements. Rough estimate is half of population from central parts were gone.

Areas with (dominant?) foreign population. Blue- Saxons; Orange - Vlachs; Green - Szekelyis (nomadic tribe); Yellow- Cumans
    Karol I. Robert z Anjou or Charles of Anjou was crowned first non-Arpád king in Hungary. He comes from Neapol branch of Anjou.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

So I have been in Budapest so I took a little trip to museum. Unfotunately I only had one hour... so pictures are fuzzy, with no description at all and missing a lot of beautiful stuff. Generaly speaking thou, they are from 1000 to 13th century and 90% them is from Slovakia and Hungary. Maybe something from Croatia but I am not sure on that.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

Majkl's Avatar Miles

I think I will take one day trip to Buda again very soon. Just so I can make better documentation. I will as well visit National museum in Bratislava.

Blog Entries

That's exactly the kind of pics I took during mine last summer and before to loose my mobile. That museum is a real gold mine. Well done Mate

just ask tsardoms team they have the best serbian units

Please add more Templar units...

Marshall of the Templar (Must have a cape and shoulder pads w/ cross on it)

Dismounted Marshall of the Templar (Weapon: Longsword or Sword) (Must have a cape and shoulder pads w/ cross on it)

Templar Longswordsmen

Templar Riflemen

And please use templar knight unit texture as captain of every templar unit because using different captains leads to confusion sometimes...

Don´t be better to enhanced also Hospitallers? for example Templars - sword Hospitaller - spear
    - longbow - crossbow
    - axe - mace
    etc....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456