Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by aaronishappy View Post
    I will do exactly that! Plotting, waiting, my little sultanate will grow...

Also, is it possible to change the unit size mid-campaign? Mine are too big and battles are quite laggy and not enjoyable... I've Googled but not found a definitive answer.
    make lots of spies and assassins then send them to highly populated enemy cities, when a spy manages to enter the city he will cause unrest, then use assassins to destroy their public order buildings, happy plotting

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I've checked and this works.
    Start the game.
    Go to Options, then to Game Settings. There you can choose the units size with the Unit Scale option. Just reduce it. Et voilą, your units are smaller. Save game compatible. Not need to modify any file.

Edit: my bad, it doesn't work
    I've been a bit too optimistic
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 22, 2016 at 01:38 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Strange. Didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    it's "export_descr_unit" inside the data folder, changing the ingame setting is not save-game compatible, changing the edu is save-game compatible

you will have to edit the number of every unit however, there are 500 units in total

EDIT: every units has something like this line "soldier ME_Heavy_Spearmen, 80, 0, 1.15, 0.30"

the "80" is the number of soldiers, change it to 60 and now heavy spearman units should have 150 men in unit instead of 200
    Hmmm... that seems like a lot of work I might do it though haha, the big battles can be kind of not fun because it staggers so it's worth it. Though I'm a bit confused. Can you explain a bit more about the values I should put in?

make lots of spies and assassins then send them to highly populated enemy cities, when a spy manages to enter the city he will cause unrest, then use assassins to destroy their public order buildings, happy plotting
    Good thinking! Completely forgot that assassins can sabotage buildings. Though the Romans have just got dragged into 2 new seperate wars so perhaps pouncing time is soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I've checked and this works.
    Start the game.
    Go to Options, then to Game Settings. There you can choose the units size with the Unit Scale option. Just reduce it. Et voilą, your units are smaller. Save game compatible. Not need to modify any file.
    Doesn't work for me either, hence why I'm asking. It was the first thing I tried to do Strange that it works for you though? I don't really understand.

dosent work, i just tried it in my fatimid campaign, when i go to recruitment menu for example it says the Shurtah Militia units is of 78 men and i put it on recruitment, after ending turn however the unit will still have 151 men

Hmmm... that seems like a lot of work I might do it though haha, the big battles can be kind of not fun because it staggers so it's worth it. Though I'm a bit confused. Can you explain a bit more about the values I should put in?
    there's a file called "export_descr_unit" (EDU for short) inside Medieval 2 Total War/mods/SSHIP/data, make a copy and keep it as backup, then proceed to open EDU, this is the 1st unit you will see

type baghlah
    dictionary baghlah ; Baghlah
    category ship
    class light
    voice_type Light
    soldier Peasants, 50, 0, 1
    ship heavy warship
    attributes sea_faring, can_withdraw
    formation 50, 50, 75, 75, 1, square
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 18, 0, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, slashing, none, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 0, 22, 0, flesh
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental 15, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 20
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 5, 3370, 1356, 250, 1356, 1356, 4, 280
    armour_ug_levels 0
    armour_ug_models Peasants
    ownership egypt, turks, rum, moors, kwarezm, milan
    recruit_priority_offset -35
    ;1

however this unit is a ship, so you dont need to change anything on it, notice how at the end there's a ";1", the last line, that's the number of the unit

now let's say you want to reduce the size of Scoutatoi Swordsmen from 150 to 120, what you have to do 1st is to find this unit, the number of the unit is 453 so scroll down till you get to unit number ";453"

you will see this

type Scoutatoi Swordsmen
    dictionary Scoutatoi_Swordsmen ; Scoutatoi Swordsmen, late pro, average
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type heavy
    banner faction main_spear
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Scoutatoi_sword, 60, 0, 1.15
    officer byzantine_unit_officer
    officer byzantium_infantry_flag
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw
    move_speed_mod 0.97
    formation 1.2, 0, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square, shield_wall
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 7, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 15, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 7, 5, 5, metal ; mail
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 5
    stat_ground 0, -1, 1, -2
    stat_mental 14, disciplined, trained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 4, 1392, 714, 75, 714, 714, 4, 200
    armour_ug_levels 7, 9, 14, 23
    armour_ug_models Scoutatoi_sword, Scoutatoi_sword_ug1, Scoutatoi_sword_ug2, Scoutatoi_sword_ug2
    ownership byzantium, slave
    era 1 byzantium
    era 2 byzantium
    recruit_priority_offset 30
    ;453

see the 8th line ? "soldier Scoutatoi_sword, 60, 0, 1.15" that 60 is the number of soldiers, now change it to 48 save and exit and you'r done

on huge settings 80 means the unit will have 200 men, 60 = 150, 48 = 120 and so on

Thanks, I get it now. I gave it a go but there is honestly just way too many to do... Shame, it's kind of making me want to start a new campaign even though I'm really enjoying this one :/

Thanks, I get it now. I gave it a go but there is honestly just way too many to do... Shame, it's kind of making me want to start a new campaign even though I'm really enjoying this one :/
    yep, you either do that or give up on the campaign, also if you start a new one dont forget to use the original EDU, you did make a backup of the original right ?

MWY how do you go in your strat models work? do you have some new prewievs? will you change the strat models of merchants,spies,priest and muslims generals?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

yep, you either do that or give up on the campaign, also if you start a new one dont forget to use the original EDU, you did make a backup of the original right ?
    Yes I did. Well, I had to suck it up and start a new campaign... 60 turns for nothing I'm finding it kind of hard to want to start a new one. I really want to be a small Muslim faction, Rum was perfect... Might give Zengids a shot (Abassaids feels too much like ISIS ) I'm considering Scotland too, but something doesn't feel right about being Scotland then conquering England, Ireland and swathes of continental Europe. I know it's just a game, and throughout the course of history anything could've happened causing whatever kingdom to develop in such a way... but it just feels wrong! I'll mull over and choose tomorrow, still hurting a bit after having to delete the last campaign haha.

Thank you to the devs of this mod by the way I had gotten back into SS after not playing for years. I was really enjoying it until about turn 60, then I just got really bored of fighting endless stack after stack. This mod completely changes the dynamic, I'm definitely hooked again!

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    MWY how do you go in your strat models work? do you have some new prewievs? will you change the strat models of merchants,spies,priest and muslims generals?
    I'm sure the team will show when they are ready. Constantly pestering them will hardly help making things go faster.
    I'm not sure if it's the language barrier, but you often come across very demanding.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Has anyone else fought against Georgia much, yet? Playing as Outremer I've fought one small, lightning campaign against them and won but now I'm at war with them again and WOW are they strong.

Is their strength a trade-off for the misfortune of their geographical position? Every unit seems to be on steroids; they're all armoured and seem to walk through most of my units. Add to this the fact they have heavily-armoured horse archers for bodyguards and you have a VERY strong faction. I don't dare face them now unless I can guarantee a local numerical advantage, which has made careful strategy paramount at every move through those mountains.

Nobody I've fought thus far has come close to being this tough. The Fatimids were tough, and I could never seem to beat them when defending against an assault on a settlement (except once) but neither they, nor the other factions I've fought so far (Zengids, Sicilians, HRE, both Seljuk factions) come anywhere close to the Georgians. And none of them have killed as many of my generals and family members as the Georgians, either. HRE took one, Khwarezmians one, Fatimids two, but the Georgians have now killed at least four.

Please don't mistake any of this for a request to nerf Georgia; they're a small faction in a very tough position, more so after the arrival of the Mongols. And their individual strength forces their opponent to really think about what they're doing in order to win, which is never a bad thing. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed their strength, is all.

@PerXX: Thanks, thats so true. I mean I posted here that I don't have models for muslim generals and western/muslim agents, and I can't produce them.

@Boogie Knight: Yep, Georgia almost only has mail-armored units. Apparently it is pretty accurate as far as I read. Note that because they have those professional and heavy armored units, their armies are terribly expensive and they also can't reproduce them that fast.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

That makes me remember the remark from Navajo Joe about the cost of some units there (see that post).
    From my point of view, that's a bit too high: 9000 fl for Naqivchaqari Cavarly ; 200 fl for Javelin men. I'd prefer to reduce their cost to something more logical and then to limit their avalaibility/retraining capacity by any other factor.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    I'm sure the team will show when they are ready. Constantly pestering them will hardly help making things go faster.
    I'm not sure if it's the language barrier, but you often come across very demanding.
    Ok perx thank you for your answer
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

a question..when you recruit military units in a castle or city you loss population this city or castle? i say it because if a city have few population is better no recruit units in this city or it is false?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Recruiting units have no influence on settlement population. Similar, you don't gain population by disbanding units.

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    Recruiting units have no influence on settlement population. Similar, you don't gain population by disbanding units.
    ok Perx although it would be more realistic if cities loss population when you recruit into them but more difficult for playability of the game
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    ok Perx although it would be more realistic if cities loss population when you recruit into them but more difficult for playability of the game
    Problem is, that's easily exploitable. Recruit a bunch of peasants in unimportant cities and disband them in your favorite castle, and you'll have a citadel in no time.
    The AI cannot do this, and it'd really ruin game balance.

dosent work, i just tried it in my fatimid campaign, when i go to recruitment menu for example it says the Shurtah Militia units is of 78 men and i put it on recruitment, after ending turn however the unit will still have 151 men
    the unit of 151 units that you recruited before you made the change will offcoursce stay with 151 men,but go too battle and lose some men,if they are minus 78 men,retrain them they become a unit of 78 men,train a new unit,they will have 78 men?the changes will only come after 1 turn further.

edit;if it does not works i find it strange becausce am sure it have worked on one of mine past campaigns.
    Last edited by stevietheconquer; February 23, 2016 at 04:02 PM.