Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Some things I've noticed as Scotland.

I have a general called Uilleann, but uilleann in Gaelic literally means elbow. I've never seen anyone in my life called uilleann, so it's kind of weird to see someone called "Uilleann MacDonnachda" (Elbow, Son of Donacha!?).
    Dublin in Gaelic is not called Dubh Linn (in the game it's spelt as Duibhlinn too which is incorrect, Duibhlinn is pronounced "div-linn", whereas the proper pronounciation is "duv-linn" ie Dubh Linn), it's called Baila Átha Cliath (town of the clash of swords). Dubh Linn means black lake, which is what the Vikings referred to it in their own tongue.
    And while I know ye are trying to free up as many provinces as possible, I think Ireland should be divided into 2 regardless. The eastern side, Dublin, ie the Pale, was firmly under Anglo-Norman control from the mid 1100s onwards. However west of the Pale was never really under English control (except in name) until the 1500s. It was notoriously rebellious and hard to pacify. Seeing as pre-Norman Ireland never had a unified structure or authority, it doesn't make much sense that conquering Dublin = conquering Ireland.

Just my 2 cents.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Well, I think all is said with that
    In addition, we have reached the region limit and can't add anymore. If we want to split Ireland in 2 distinct regions, we need to remove another one.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Sir Elbow of Scotland was toootally a real figure, thank you very much...

And it's a shame about the region limit; I think most of us have ideas about regions that can be split up and re-jigged all over the place. If there was to be a new region added anywhere in the British Isles it should be one representing the Lordship of the Isles, which at the time of the game's start was still under Norwegian royal control IIRC. That way you'd be able to represent what was a historical struggle between two of the game's factions (Scotland and Norway) lasting many centuries. Splitting Ireland up wouldn't achieve the same effect, as the chief combatants at or near (didn't start until the reign of Henry II as I recall) the date of the campaign start were the Irish and the Cambro-Normans, neither of whom make an appearance in this submod.
    Last edited by Boogie Knight; February 23, 2016 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_fitz_Duncan

French article:
    gaélique: Uilleam mac Donnchada
    Pardon, I was reading it as uilleaNN, not uilleaM... makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    Sir Elbow of Scotland was toootally a real figure, thank you very much...

And it's a shame about the region limit; I think most of us have ideas about regions that can be split up and re-jigged all over the place. If there was to be a new region added anywhere in the British Isles it should be one representing the Lordship of the Isles, which at the time of the game's start was still under Norwegian royal control IIRC. That way you'd be able to represent what was a historical struggle between two of the game's factions (Scotland and Norway) lasting many centuries. Splitting Ireland up wouldn't achieve the same effect, as the chief combatants at or near (didn't start until the reign of Henry II as I recall) the date of the campaign start were the Irish and the Cambro-Normans, neither of whom make an appearance in this submod.
    That would be cool indeed. Perhaps a settlement in either north-eastern Ireland or south-western Scotland, representing a province that straddles both islands? Ie Dál Riada more or less. Might be worth heeding in mind if SSHIP ever goes through a province reshuffle...

Quote Originally Posted by aaronishappy View Post
    Pardon, I was reading it as uilleaNN, not uilleaM... makes sense now.

That would be cool indeed. Perhaps a settlement in either north-eastern Ireland or south-western Scotland, representing a province that straddles both islands? Ie Dál Riada more or less. Might be worth heeding in mind if SSHIP ever goes through a province reshuffle...
    I think last time this came up we settled on Man as the best of both worlds, not least because much of it was ruled from there for a good long while. It's also usefully central; the only challenge would be keeping Norway's interest in the place if it was lost to Scotland. I'm not sure if it's possible to set factions to prioritise certain regions for capture/recapture, but without that ability Norway might just favour grabbing the Highlands as it does now. That isn't a huge problem as it's still fairly true to history, but the islands (Shetlands, Orkneys, Hebrides etc.) were always Norway's main interest, especially after the end of the Viking Age.

It would be interesant create this region for dispute into scotland and norwegians,maybe sship team can remove some minor important region of HRE(this empire have too regions)and make a new region in this island for norwegian,make a possible invaasion of scotland and also you can solution the problem that sometimes scotland is too strong and they destroyed england(because they don't have more enemies)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    It would be interesant create this region for dispute into scotland and norwegians,maybe sship team can remove some minor important region of HRE(this empire have too regions)and make a new region in this island for norwegian,make a possible invaasion of scotland and also you can solution the problem that sometimes scotland is too strong and they destroyed england(because they don't have more enemies)
    Absolutely right, this was exactly the thinking behind it. Scotland and Norway are often complained about as being in too advantageous a position because they're on the edge of the map and often only have their southern neighbour enemy to worry about. A region comprising the Hebrides, possessed by Norway at the start of the campaign and controlled from Man (was Douglas the capital by this point? Not sure) would immediately essentially light a fuse between the two factions that could go off at any time; and given the propensity for Scotland and England to ally which I've seen in virtually all my games thus far, will happen sooner rather than later. As such, these two overly safe factions will be pitted against one-another, meaning that the aggression and danger does not run in a course from the centre of the map to the edges and off into the ether, but will instead loop around from Scotland and Norway to each other.

Blog Entries

The actual regions are based on the population rate at that time. Due to the engine limits, we had to make choices.

Beside that, it's quite complicated to make Norway invading Scotland or England. That's just because the AI seems not enough bright for that
    The main issue I can see if introducing Norway close to Scotland is that one of these factions would disappear quite fast while controlled by the AI as it is unable to deal with several fronts.
    I've been thinking about how to implement that in a good manner but I haven't found an acceptable solution for now.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

It would be great if you resolve this problem.. i guess that you could make a excepcion for this region into scotland and norway for the gameplay and more challenges for both factions, i don't know if a region with a minor village or minor castle(due to population in this island) generate much problems or eliminate one faction in few time...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Blog Entries

For now, removing one settlement on the map to create one in that area is not going to happen. That's not the solution.
    I think you just take the problem on the human player side. For a human player, it might work. But I'm convinced that while these factions are controlled by the AI, this option won't work satisfactory.

Just wanted to say this is an amazing mod. One of the best TW experiences I've had so far.

As a sidenote, how does diplomacy work? Started as Rum, tried to pay the Romans off on every turn for a ceasefire and they wouldn't even on very generous. I had to kill an emperor and a few armies, take 3 cities and eventually pay 14000 as a lump sum to get them to stop fighting. It was on very generous just from a Ceasefire, trade rights and my map info. Kind of murky waters trying to figure out what they'd actually take to end hostilities.

Also, maybe this has been discussed, Rum would probably greatly benefit from having Angora as a castle (Ankara castle still stands today, if we're looking for justification) as getting decent units for fighting sieges is tough going early since the Romans can't be ignored for Kayseri. Anyways, just my observation.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Where can I find a manual about how recruitment works? I have a fortress with all the buildings I can build so far, its like 1237 and the highest unit for each category I have is feudal infantry, archers, and feudal knights. Where are the rest of the units you can have in custom battles? Where are longbows? I see Germany with crossbows, yet I cant even recruit them in any of my provinces.

I have definitely missed something, and if someone could point out to me where to read about how recruitment works and how I can solve this that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm playing as England, and I have Scotland, Ireland and France under my dominion. I figured some recruitment is definitely AoE based, but I have like half of Europe at this point...

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

New to SS I take it?

Units unlock when they historically appeared. Longbows will appear in 1270 for the English. They take some time to recruit.

Oh, and when you can, make sure you have heavy billmen once they become available. They are godly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Do most units become available through those "historical events"?

The one's I'm interested in are the Halberd units, some of those look so awesome. Any idea when the super heavies like that appear?

Blog Entries

Nope. you also need to build and upgrade some other buildings but in your case, it seems that's not the reason (as you mentioned to have built everything).

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinmajere8 View Post
    Do most units become available through those "historical events"?

The one's I'm interested in are the Halberd units, some of those look so awesome. Any idea when the super heavies like that appear?
    A lot of units change and become available in 1300. Usually, feudal units will go away and you'll see some more faction-specific knights then as well.

Halberds will generally appear not long after. Halberd men-at-arms appear in the mid fourteenth century and will wreck .
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

only as note, i have seen a total war video where there are structures in walls that can have trebuchets or cannons and fire their weapons up in walls, it would be great if sship could make this...at least for important cities as constantinople,jerusalem,baghdad...

see this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZXqcoeRowM
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think we'd all love to see custom made settlements in SSHIP but I'm afraid it's much easier said than done. TATW team spent years making them. Also artillery is wasted this way, here's how I use them in defensive sieges:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: