Page 27 of 361 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536375277127 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Senator

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

In the spoiler are some screenshots with my comments; they're invalid filetypes to be uploaded as attachments

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Mongols have done only this on my campaign. I THINK (not sure) they siege the settlement, win the fight, but the settlement just turns rebel? They don't conquer anything. Their armies get smaller and smaller because the captains keep deserting after the family members die...

The war between HRE and France has been fascinating to observe (as I border them both ). France have gained the upper hand now.

Nations on Crusade then make peace, so their armies just stand there doing nothing. The CS attacked Damietta and the small castle south of Jerusalem (not Ascalon) simultaneously with two small armies, they lost both battles and got wiped out a few years later - any way to encourage the AI to attack with big armies rather than little ones would be great, as I see this too often. It only ever attacks with lots of small armies than one big one.

Mercenary Frankish Knights far away disappear...

There they are! (though what is up with their helmets? is that normal?)

Shortly after this they attack it, it turns rebel, and they move on. It's a little frustrating because I'd like to see them as an actual power, rather than a horde that has barely done anything in the 150 odd turns it has existed...

Pretty sure that stack could be used to reclaim your lands, maybe England? They do have a fleet as well... Lazy indeed!

The Catholic factions in Iberia have been at each others' throats for generations. Aragon has merchants all over my lands that bring in serious cash, which has given them an advantage. Sevilla being Moorish is a prime example of the rebellion script being problematic - it was Aragonese, but revolted and became Moorish despite not having been Moorish for decades. I think this is a little unfair, as now Aragon has to contend with the Moors again when the Moors didn't really do any work to get back on the peninsular! You can see in this screenshot the problem of the "small armies" I talked about earlier. If Aragon combined those armies into one, it could wipe out Portugal with ease.

Feel free to knock this suggestion back, but I'd love to see a road that links Mecca to the Horn of Persia (I forget the name of the settlement there). I think it would add a lot if the Abbasids could move along the south of Arabia to get to the Red Sea.

That rebel army is stuck in the desert, I think the Fatimids are trying to chase them, since that army has been there for generations...

Also, by this screenshot Novgorod had taken Ryazan - it had done literally nothing the entire campaign except just barely resisting Kiev...

Is Visby really necessary as a settlement? No one has made any effort to capture it. Norway did have Turku in Finland for a bit, needless to say it revolted. I think the settlement space could be better used elsewhere.

Desert archer silver surfer captain. (also, that core of spearmen I've used since the very beginning... heroes)

Not sure if this was fixed or not (this is v 0.8.2), but Miles Pedites unit looks silly. Like that. (what happened to one of your feudal foot knights, you say? well it was in a siege tower that burned down... and those are my Sicilian vassals 'helping' their master capture Cairo!)

As if you needed proof why choosing your faction heir is needed... you end up with this guy becoming Doge. He's been governor of Nis his whole life. He only married in to the bloodline - he's "regent". There are plenty of family members with the "is rightful heir" trait... none of them are the heir. Help me out a little, here?

That said, I love the rex Sicilae trait, and would love to see one for each of the factions' homelands, so he could be Doge of Venice, King of Sicily, King of Serbia, Podesto of Milan etc etc, lots of titles that give bonuses to reward you for building your nice big empire.

This is what I was referring to with the lack of AI action against rebels (that same lack of action has led me to conquer northern Egypt, thanks very much). Georgia is a vassal of the Cumans, they could so easily take Trebizond, yet they just sit there - same with Rum, who has never left its starting position, just a vassal of the ERE. The Zengids are on the ropes, being assaulted from all sides - it would be the perfect opportunity to take advantage. Especially since their master country is at war with them.

I'm a little bit confused by the effects of these walls... wouldn't a + to law make more sense (why would big walls, which one presumes are manned by guards, causing less lawfulness but more happiness? if anything shouldn't it be the other way around? if at all? why would big safe walls make someone unhappy? not to mention the + and - to happiness).

On another note, is a faction-specific building that gives, say, +5% happiness worth keeping, or does the different culture penalty actually do more harm than good?

Poor merchant can't trade on the iron mine in the middle of the desert, accessible to no one...

The end of the Mongols... it was inevitable! Final family members die off and boom, rebels everywhere. Disappointing, but it seems I'm an anomaly. Wonder why?

I expressed a problem a while back about a lack of money from the AI factions, and this kinda confirms it... richest faction and I have under 3k in the bank! Considering my treasury reached a high point of 300k, I think this is something that may need looking at.

The HRE finally had an army to counter the French, and look what happened... big surprise

The Cumans have all but wiped out the Zengids with a relentless assault, no idea where it came from! The Sevilla rebellion has given the Moors a real foothold in Iberia again, though Portugal has just been wiped out. Novgorod paid the price for its expansion and is now a vassal of Kiev. Hungary attacked Poland, but I got a CTD and they didn't repeat it on reloading England have retaken Nottingham and the ERE is expanding into the Holy Land... suddenly there's loads of action after decades of inaction!

I think that's pretty comprehensive I'll post maps as I continue every couple dozen turns or so.

Edit - added more pictures
    Last edited by Larkin; January 15, 2015 at 03:55 PM.

aloosh883's Avatar Laetus

Nice mod. Add Syria in with the Muslims.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Behold! The new Northern European Castle Model!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails castle1.jpg   castle2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

@ aloosh883 - What do you mean by "adding Syria"? Zengids are already in and in Syria.

@ Overlord.ru - Wow, they look great!!! I like them. Can you confirm that if people want to use it, they have to unzip it and copy it into the following folder (replacing the exisiting file): Medieval II Total War/mods/SS6.3/data/models_strat/residence

Have you planned to update the other models like large_castle, fortress and stone_keep?

Btw, can you tell me where you find your "unreachable mine (in previous page)?

Edit: @ Larkin, many thanks for your pics. Some of these issues are already corrected (f.e. silver surfer captains) and hopefully, I'll take care of the others.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 16, 2015 at 04:29 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

@ Overlord.ru - Wow, they look great!!! I like them. Can you confirm that if people want to use it, they have to unzip it and copy it into the following folder (replacing the exisiting file): Medieval II Total War/mods/SS6.3/data/models_strat/residence
    Correct.

Have you planned to update the other models like large_castle, fortress and stone_keep?
    Yep.

Edit: @ Larkin, many thanks for your pics. Some of these issues are already corrected (f.e. silver surfer captains) and hopefully, I'll take care of the others.
    Don't forget to look at mine posts

P.S. Thanks MWY for the work on the settlements models. Most of them are briliant, just gonna add some tweaks to the northern ones...and maybe some others too

Blog Entries

Yes, I did have a look at yours as well That's why I've also asked you to tell me where you found the mine issue (obviously somewhere in HRE).

Edit 1: no worries, I've found it. It's in South of Praha region (Prague), almost at the border with Regensburg region.

Edit 2 : Here is a list of issues already corrected by MWY or myself:
    - "unreachable" mines in Cairo and Prague fixed (Lifth.)
    - Mercenary Frankish knights fixed (MWY)
    - Miles Pedites fixed (MWY)
    - Captain for Lithanian Ducal Cavalry fixed (MWY)
    - Al-Haqa infantry missing texture fixed (MWY)
    - Portugese Knights missing texture fixed (MWY)
    - Pisa Carroccio texture corrected (Lifth.)
    - Pistoliers strange texture fixed (Lifth.) - thanks to Melooo182
    - Coat of arms created as they were missing for a few settlements (Lifth.)
    - Some Ancillaries corrected or created when missing (Lifth.)
    - French Chivalric Knights removed (Lifth.)
    - French and German Feudal Knights removed (Lifth.)
    - Ribault Mercenary crew missing texture fixed (Lifth.)
    - Zengid Captain missing texture for Mamluk Archers fixed (Lifth.)
    - Russian factions' names adjusted (Lifth.) - thanks to Overlord.ru, Gercog, Turtler and Navajo Joe for their help and suggestions.

Edit 3: @ Larkin, I can't find anything wrong with the Miles Pedites. It might have already been corrected by MWY or that's a bug specific to your game.
    Regarding the desert archers, what unit is it because I can't find any silver surfer captain in all my archers units.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 16, 2015 at 09:10 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

@Lifth: Frankish Knights and Miles Pedites have been fixed.

@Larkin:
    Frankish Knights have been fixed in the newest release.
    The england AI you're showing is obviously broke and can't afford ships. I have added a shipspawn of 2 ships every 50 or so years for the "naval" AI factions to get them to be a bit more active. It's in the newest release as well.
    Mongols usually should work... in my testgames they always did. I have no clue what happened there tbh.
    Walls only give negative boni if a civil war is happening.
    With the new patch .8.3 and the new AI, visby is usually conquered and fought for. Pretty hard even.
    Crusades should also be working already.
    Seems like you really need to update your game.
    Resource locations need to fixed though.
    I'm working hard right now to fix the traits, heirs, etc. in the game.
    I don't really want to the player to be able to simply choose a heir. But you should be able to atleast influence the decision by a lot.

@Overlord:
    Relaxing recruitment requirements is a plan actually. Atleast to a certain extend.
    Last edited by MWY; January 16, 2015 at 09:09 AM.

- French and German Feudal Knights removed (Lifth.)
    U sure this won't affect balance? I'm just asking because I raised the question for long ago why do HRE and France have 2 feudal knights units and it turned out that they had different stats, so to say to represent their superior quality to other countries in the period...

BTW, do you think you'll be able to correct the longbowmen square bowstrings? Guess there's some animation bug.

Blog Entries

@ MWY, I've corrected the list in my previous post. I'm hunting the last missing textures and other minor bugs.

@ Ovedrlord.ru, it shouldn't affect the balance too much. However, if it does, it will be easy to put them back. The reason I've removed them it's because they were "double" with the Feudal Knights and Chivalric Knights. No point to keep 2 units with the same model.

I'm working hard right now to fix the traits, heirs, etc. in the game.
    As far as traits are concerned, may I offer my suggestions to the matter ?

I know that it takes lots of time, but hoping to see it somewhere in the near future. As was mentioned before there are lots of traits which are "pointless" or "useless" if you like, lots coinsiding each other and what's really upsetting that characters usually can get contradictory traits, for example a character can be good and "bad" in some activity at the same time etc. I hope you'll be able to sort them out, don't hesitate, take your time to make it a descent change
    You could try to implement something like ranking system. For example, coming of age family members could have "freshman" or "unexperienced" or "squire" traits, which decreased their governing and combat skills such as morale, command, income etc. But with time they would increase their campaign experience and get higher ranks which would do vice versa. Some sort of "aging" minimod would be also a nice idea: the younger the person the more movement points and skills he got.
    Also, lots of ancillaries also clutter up the space, such as tutors, engineers, historians and biographers etc. Would be nice to see some really meaningfull items like some masterfully crafted weapons, pieces of armor, jewelry, symbols of sovereign power, banners.
    P.S. Look what I found http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ion&highlight=

Senator

@MWY - England had some ships pushed into the Prussian coastline for decades. They even landed an army to attack Caen (unsuccessfully). But that stack remained, and still remains to this day... even though there are English diplomats roaming around on the continent!

Re: the civil war walls malus - I must have been in civil war my entire game then, since I never got the "civil war ended" notification. Is there any way to tell? Loads of disloyal generals, but it's been a while since someone has gotten the "gone rebel" trait. And we've been through a fair few FLs.

A few more pics from my latest session:

I got the "Crusader State formed" event, and expected it to be linked to a rebellion in Jerusalem (which the Fatimids have barely garrisoned). Yet it was in Sevilla?! I thought that was super cool. Same turn a Crusade was called against Granada... which is Aragonese... which is allied with the Crusader States. They are excommunicated, so it isn't a bug obviously. But I'm pretty sure only the CS could have called it (checking Papal Favour points, unless the AI is not bound by these restrictions). Just odd behaviour. But cool.

Yet this dude spawned in the Holy Land... and later, his army disappeared (a tiny stack appeared further north) yet Jerusalem was under CS control! I never saw them lay siege, it was as if they took it in one turn, yet the king remained there. Sevilla revolted and went back to the Moors... very strange!

More animation glitches. Crossbowmen unit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg   2.jpg   1.jpg  

my latest report

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdoms 2015-01-18 15-48-18-36.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	319829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdoms 2015-01-18 15-50-54-71.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	319830

it seems the AI work properly, they don't leave any rebel settlement
    well, Bolghar is highly possible to revolt, and so any border settlement like Kerman too if not garrisoned well

Nooo, why would you delete french knights (( Now they have nothing special.

As the main feudal power they should have some good knights imo

Always getting CTD when HRE tries to attack fatimids at Jerusalem during end turn. CTD on loading battle.

EDIT: Just can't load that goddamn battle if HRE requests the help of my army, no matter the battle configuration and amount of opponents. Just can't get to the battlemap, constant CTD.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Overlord.ru; January 18, 2015 at 10:58 AM.

Some further notes on my quest to glory

Traits.
    Speaking further about the traits, here are some obvious contradictions.

Name:	trait1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	319862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trait2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	319861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trait3.jpg 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	319860

Characters "Administratively Minded" can acquire "Military Education" and vice versa. Check if this is intended?
    Also, those 'educational' traits could be renamed to some more suitable medieval notions, though this is only a suggestion if you're original enough, unfortunately I'm not an expert in the sphere

Name:	trait4.jpg 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	319864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trait5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	319863

Another vivid example of pointless ancillary acquiring. Seems to me that those should be only interchangeable, otherweise they just clutter up the vital space. And frankly speaking, don't you think those are just completely same ancillaries having only destinction in the name? Maybe make them dependable on the character's stats, Ex. if a character is dreadful let him acquire Templar Knight(which would have a dread bonus instead of chivalry) and a chivalrous person would receive a Hospitaller Knight. I also think that a great idea is to make those dependable on your faction

Name:	ancillary.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	319868

Events.
    Some events can be avoided by using autosave. Ex. "Trade Routes Attacked" would decrease your treasury by 5000 if you accept or even 10-15k if you decline, BUT if you use the autosave right away, this event won't pop up as a marriage proposal for example. This is also valid for "Supporting the Crusaders" and some other events. Check if this is intended, but I can treat is as cheating.

Name:	event.jpg 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	319865

Reputation.
    I bet that the reputation with other factions seems to have some hidden\broken mechanics cuz it constantly seems decaying. Ex. Got outstanding rep with the Pope but next turn it falls to good for no reason - I just turtle around my map, not fighting or insulting any factions. Same's with others - playing as Norway I constantly get messages of rep decrease with factions I have no deal with. Though that may occur while HRE is my trusted ally while it attacks the factions I get messages of BUT I'm also losing rep with the HRE itself though I take NONE aggressive actions towards them and, regarding the Pope - HRE is also allied with him so I have just no idea why my rep with him keeps falling if I don't throw money at him every turn. Btw, I constantly accept "Supporting the Crusaders" event and I realized a successful crusade by conquering the Jerusalem, isn't this enough to fix my rep at the top...?

P.S. Forgot to show this one, don't like to boast, but...D'oh watch and learn Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MegaKing.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	319866
    Last edited by Overlord.ru; January 18, 2015 at 04:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lequintal69 View Post
    Nooo, why would you delete french knights (( Now they have nothing special.

As the main feudal power they should have some good knights imo
    They still have some other good cavalry units. However, this is just temporary. If needed, it can be re-introduce in game. The main reason why they have been removed for now is because they had exactly the same model as the Feudal Knights. No point to keep a "double" unit. The only difference was on the stats which were slighly better.

Why is SSHIP never featured on the HOME page of this website ? It should be as it's the best !

Blog Entries

I guess that's because we have never asked for it

how did you guys managed to get such different incomes for cities ? just because of the very different populations or there are more significant factors ?