Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Indeed, that would be a historic plus. As time goes by, SSHIP tries to meet the expectations of players who love realism and history. It's a fascinating job to try to always improve it on these different scriptwriting aspects, gameplay, ai, graphics...etc.
    Yes kostic! Same opinion! Futhemore also in other castles as Dublin or Edimburg you can recruit scottish and irish local or AOR units, as clansmen, galwegian javelinmen, irish kerns and gallogaich, so it us logical that you can recruit welsh local troops in welsh settlement (welsh spearmen and welsh longobowmen, also at the beginning of the game... In 1132 already existed the longbow in Wales and its use for combat).

This weapon is first recorded in the British Isles when it was used by the Welsh in 633. Offrid, the son of Edwin of Deira, King of Northumbria, was killed by an arrow shot from a Welsh longbow during a battle between Welsh and Mercians, more than five centuries before any record of its military use in England. Despite this, the weapon is more commonly known as the "English Longbow" rather than the "Welsh Longbow".
    During the Anglo-Norman invasions of Wales, Welsh archers took a heavy toll on the invaders using this extraordinary weapon of war. The English quickly realized the impact that the longbow could have on the battlefield. As soon as the Welsh campaign was successfully concluded, Welsh conscripts began to be drafted into the English army. The lessons the English learned in Wales were later used to deadly effect by Welsh mercenaries on the battlefields of France and Scotland.
    https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arco_largo_ingl%C3%A9s

I hope that in the next version you can change it, it would be nice to have these local and mercenary troops for the English armies or whoever conquers this area...
    Last edited by j.a.luna; August 09, 2022 at 04:09 AM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

SSHIP DEVELOPERS AND FANS, HERE ANOTHER GREAT VIDEO IN YOUTUBE ABOUT SSHIP!!!
    2 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY BY @THETERMINATOR , BUT IS 0.97 VERSION...
    We have to give more publicity to our wonderful and historical mod and more players will be able to see it and enjoy it! For my part, I always inform YouTube collaborators about the new versions and their characteristics, as well as pass the access links to total war forums.
    I hope you like the gameplay!!!

YOUTUBE LINK
    https://youtu.be/3ZSOaXVZJKI
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

I want to change the amount of time that passes with each turn, from 6 months to 18 or 24 months. How would I do this, and would it break anything?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmalk View Post
    I want to change the amount of time that passes with each turn, from 6 months to 18 or 24 months. How would I do this, and would it break anything?
    This thread might be interesting for you.

Many scripts and traits are coded with turn number parameter, but many other - and many other processe -, are coded with year number. Therefore the outcome of a change you're proposing is going to be quite unpredictable. Most of the events will take place in the unhistorical times - later than they should.

Don't know if you guys are interested in old SSHIP version saves, but here is one. Holy Roman Empire turn 737, but on version november 2021. This version was so stable for me, that's why I didn't update. First 500 turns without a single crash. Post turn 600 got a crash after every 5 turns or so. This is not a total conquest, ala Alavaria playthrough. I simply enjoy more slower campaigns A couple of buildings were giving me headaches, like Siege Works and Printing Press, also some unique HRE cathedrals, spend quite some thousands of florins, but they never got built. Well until sometime after turn 500, almost all of them finished. A weird thing also with a late game HRE unit Gothic Knights, got to train them for a short period in Kunigsberg and Cagliari, but nowhere in HRE mainland citadels. Also was never, not even once crowned, in the entire campaign. My current leader is a regent, but there were lots of them fully fitted for crown. This may be a bug from last years version. A sort of weird thing in late campaign was that most of big cities from the beginning, like Coellen, Prague, Milan never upgraded to huge. While Magdeburg, Utrecht, Verona etc got there, pure coincidence? Magdeburg is also cca 30000 florins per turn Anyway, give me a new version, I'm dying for a new playthrough

save:
    https://mega.nz/file/jwNF2abT#PNAKGJ...nOd2yk1ks9rPOM

did anyone try to conquer full map on very hard? i'm kinda half way there, but squalor and distance from capital are overwhelming

Can someone please tell what the crown conditions for Eastern Roman Empire are?
    I conquered all the highlighted provinces, and I have the 6 piety and 6 authority required.

Quote Originally Posted by vazda View Post
    did anyone try to conquer full map on very hard? i'm kinda half way there, but squalor and distance from capital are overwhelming
    Sounds interesting, I have no idea if it's still possible, but it was: Alavaria.
    Upload a save pls!

Quote Originally Posted by SilentEntrance View Post
    Can someone please tell what the crown conditions for Eastern Roman Empire are?
    I conquered all the highlighted provinces, and I have the 6 piety and 6 authority required.
    money, maybe also some traits (you need to have the trait FitForOffice)

;-------------------------------------------------------- (A) unfit for crown

;------------------------------------------- 2->1
    Trigger UnFit_Lands_Conquered_UnFitForOffice
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsFactionLeader
    and Trait Crownholder > 1
    and Trait Crownholder < 3
    and Trait FitForOffice < 2

Affects Crownholder -1 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------- 2->1
    Trigger UnFit_Lands_Conquered_Excommunicated

and Trait Crownholder < 3
    and FactionExcommunicated

Affects Crownholder -1 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------- 3->1
    Trigger UnFit_Legacy_UnFitForOffice

and Trait Crownholder > 2
    and Trait Crownholder < 4
    and Trait FitForOffice < 2

Affects Crownholder -2 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------- 3->1
    Trigger UnFit_Legacy_Excommunicated

and Trait Crownholder > 2
    and FactionExcommunicated

Affects Crownholder -2 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------- 0->1
    Trigger Fit_for_crown_Starter
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition FactionIsLocal
    and IsFactionLeader
    and Trait Crownholder < 1

Affects Crownholder 1 Chance 100

;-------------------------------------------------------- (B) fit for a crown - for all
    ;------------------------------------------- 1->3
    Trigger Fit_for_crown_Legacy

and FactionIsLocal
    and Trait Crownholder > 0
    and Trait Crownholder < 2
    and Trait FathersLegacy > 1
    and Trait Usurper < 1
    and Trait FactionRegent < 1
    and not FactionExcommunicated

Affects Crownholder 2 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------- 1->2
    Trigger Fit_for_crown_Lands_Conquered

and FactionIsLocal
    and Trait Crownholder > 0
    and Trait Crownholder < 2
    and Trait FitForOffice > 1
    and Trait Usurper < 1
    and Trait FactionRegent < 1
    and Attribute Piety > 5
    and Attribute Authority > 5
    and not FactionExcommunicated

Affects Crownholder 1 Chance 100
    ;------------------------------------------- 0->1 Constantinople for the Orthodox factionsTrigger Crown_Fit_Constantinople_Orthodox
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition FactionIsLocal
    and IsFactionLeader
    and SettlementBuildingExists = wonder_hagia_sophia ; coronation in Constantinople, large city level
    and not IsUnderSiege
    and GovernorLoyaltyLevel > loyalty_disillusioned
    and Treasury > 20000

Affects Fit_Crown_georgia 1 Chance 100
    Affects Fit_Crown_byzantium 1 Chance 100
    Affects Fit_Crown_serbia 1 Chance 100
    Affects Fit_Crown_kievan_rus 1 Chance 100
    Affects Fit_Crown_russia 1 Chance 100
    ;========== Crown of BYZANTIUM ==============================;;------------------------------------------
    Trigger crown_byzantium_Lands_Conquered
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition Trait Fit_Crown_byzantium > 0
    and FactionType byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Constantinople = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Thessalonica = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Adrianople = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Durazzo = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Arta = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Corinth = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Tarnovo = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Sredets = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Chersonesos = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Sinop = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Trebizond = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Chandax = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Nicaea = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Smyrna = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Attaleia = byzantium
    and I_SettlementOwner Lefkosia = byzantium

AcquireAncillary crown_byzantium chance 100
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 02, 2022 at 04:07 AM.

Hello everyone, the new version of the mod is up and downloadable here
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    Playing with Byzantines (Romans) in numerous campaigns I always see that Anatolia is quickly conquered by the strong Byzantine armies, and this would really be the case if it weren't for the typical palace betrayals and the numerous Seljuk armies... So I think the Rûm Seljuks should be reinforced with 2 full stack armies at the beginning of the game to put more pressure on Anatolia-
    This has been my experience based on my current campaigns (as England [Turn 31], Norway [Turn 95], Venice [Turn 103]). The Byzantines usually start really strong and aggressive (fits with the strong rule of Ioannis (John) Komnenos, as it was the rise of the Byzantine military dominance of the Komnenian Restoration). In many of my campaigns by turn 31 - 35 they hold Sinop, Trebizond, Sebastea, Meletine, Qaliqala as south as Cepha in northern Syria. That is way too much to fast, while pushing the Serbians and Hungarians in the Balkans. They could get a little more pressure at the start.

But at the same time, it usually balances out by turn 50 (the Turks eventually push and recapture the settlement lost and the Byzantines are left with pockets (by Turn 75 - 80 they were still holding to Meletine and Cepha).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyres Δt Varanasi View Post
    This has been my experience based on my current campaigns (as England [Turn 31], Norway [Turn 95], Venice [Turn 103]). The Byzantines usually start really strong and aggressive (fits with the strong rule of Ioannis (John) Komnenos, as it was the rise of the Byzantine military dominance of the Komnenian Restoration). In many of my campaigns by turn 31 - 35 they hold Sinop, Trebizond, Sebastea, Meletine, Qaliqala as south as Cepha in northern Syria. That is way too much to fast, while pushing the Serbians and Hungarians in the Balkans. They could get a little more pressure at the start.

But at the same time, it usually balances out by turn 50 (the Turks eventually push and recapture the settlement lost and the Byzantines are left with pockets (by Turn 75 - 80 they were still holding to Meletine and Cepha).
    Yeah, ofc I agree. The problems are a few.
    1. Historically the ERE starts at the hight of it's power. So it is strong - in the land and in the units.
    2. The new script for Rum will provide a break, I hope. But it'll be in the next version / a patch.
    3. The whole logic of the ERE roster: strongest units from the very beginning. Making it different would be ahistorical.
    4. The riches of the land, trade, cities... Uncomparable to the other parts of Europe at that time.

I hope we'll balance it sometime in the future, perhaps for v. 0.99. There's a script "Bulgarian Uprising" but firing it instantly would be ahistorical... But maybe we'd activitate it as a stop-gap solution.

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I guess this thread could work. I know SSHIP is all about historicity, but I wanted to have the chance to build highways in any settlement capable of meeting the other requirements. To change that, should I just copy what there is in the two previous steps? So...

From this

highways city requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter dummy 1 or not hidden_resource tartars

To this

highways city requires factions { northern_european, southern_european, eastern_european, greek, middle_eastern, } and event_counter dummy 1 or not hidden_resource tartars

And that's it? Just doing that it should work?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoule View Post
    I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I guess this thread could work. I know SSHIP is all about historicity, but I wanted to have the chance to build highways in any settlement capable of meeting the other requirements. To change that, should I just copy what there is in the two previous steps? So...

From this

highways city requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter dummy 1 or not hidden_resource tartars

To this

highways city requires factions { northern_european, southern_european, eastern_european, greek, middle_eastern, } and event_counter dummy 1 or not hidden_resource tartars

And that's it? Just doing that it should work?

Thanks!
    Yes, that should be enough.

Hi. Does this mod include Byg's Grim Reality Mod ?

Quote Originally Posted by Julius the Great View Post
    Hi. Does this mod include Byg's Grim Reality Mod ?
    Have a look here.
    This is still incomplete, as you see, but we're heading there.

Not sure if this issue has been addressed and discussed already, but the amount of turns some buildings require feels like way too much. I understand the idea: most buildings in vanilla, and even in vanilla SS, were up and ready very soon, and that had to change here. That's fine. But, really, 20 turns? 30? That investment (both in money and time) is huge, for a reward that'll always seem meagre in comparisson.

If that settlement is unfortunately taken by another faction, and if we're aiming for more realism here, it wouldn't make sense for buildings the previous owner has invested years on to simply disappear in thin air. Those lands that were almost ready to reap the benefits? "Yeah, nope, burn it all, we don't want those outsider ways around here, they were doing it wrong, for sure. Let us start from scratch and do it right this time". Those mines the previous owner had almost excavated in the mountain? "Yeah, I don't like that vein. Let us find a better one in the other side of the mountain. It'll take us 15 more years, but so be it".

If you want to settle this with "we just want it to be a risky investment, that's why we made It that way", then I guess I'll have to accept it. But, as I said, if realism is the goal, I think it'd be worthwhile to consider other options. One idea could be to divide the building process in several phases, at least two of them. It could be made so that the first phase wouldn't give you anything at all (like the foundations of a building), and you'd need to go for the second one to reap the benefits. That way, the immediate investment in both money and time would be cut in half. It'd still take a lot of time, and there'd be risks, but it wouldn't be a system as excessive and punishing as the current one.

I don't know if It can be done, if there's some limiting factor that'd make it impossible, or if my idea could be seen as too convoluted, and keeping it the way it is right now, even with its flaws (if it may have them), is the preferred way, if only for it being a simpler and cleaner solution.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Dhoule; September 16, 2022 at 07:29 PM.

Personally I really like that idea. The long turn times doesn't bother me, even if it took me some time to get used to. To me the root of the problem is what you said: everything is lost when the province is captured. And your solution is nice, only problem is there is a limit to the number of building levels you can have in a building chain, so it will have to be carefully crafted for each building line.

I've put it on our idea list for the future 0.99 release (no date fixed yet ) we'll discuss it within the team, thanks for sharing you idea!
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Many buildings have been divided into phases, in particular wonder buildings, but it might be worthwhile to consider splitting more buildings into a larger number of phases. This is limited by the hard limit for how many stages can be in a building tree (9, I think, but I'm not sure anymore), but could be done. It would however involve a rather serious overhaul of the buildings code, which also has an impact on the scripts and historical events codes, and even on the guild missions code. So an interesting idea, and one I can imagine us kicking around in the team. But just don't get your hopes up that it will happen anytime soon At any rate, a simple thing you can do from your end for a temporary "fix" is to just tweak with the construction times in your EDB. That is an easy thing for the user to do, and much more quickly implementable than our adding of more levels (which is though a more interesting and nuanced approach; unfortunately, one which is also far more intensive).
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

I came up with the idea because of the wonders, yeah. I think roads and mines should be fairly easy to divide into at least two phases, as they don't have that many steps in their line of buildings. Farms, though, could prove to be much more tricky, as you've already included a few more steps in that line, and they're already close to the said limit of 9.

As for the scripts, I have no idea how those work but, hypothetically speaking, if they might sometimes trigger upon certain buildings being completed, I'd just treat these middle phases as if "nothing new" had been built, meaning: upon completion, that phase would be treated as if you still had only the previous building built in the settlement. And only when you completed it, a new step would've been taken on that line of buildings, not before.

In regards to the aesthetics, although this is a minor thing, of course it'd be awesome to have new pics for those middle phases. That'd be ideal, but I think going with the next building picture, and changing it to a sepia color tone (the same way you've done it with some wonders) would also be an easy solution.

Personally, I think the max amount of turns to aim for any investment should be around 10, 12 tops. A lot of things can happen already in that time. 15 I think feels already like a lot to me, but it could work for the last building of some lines in your biggest settlements, at a point in the game where in most cases you'd feel fairly safe making that investment.

Don't mind me, just brainstorming here. I'll try not to get my hopes up, but I'm glad you guys are considering to at least think about it!
    Last edited by Dhoule; September 17, 2022 at 06:58 AM.