Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/user/Videos/Captures/Medieval%202%2019_11_2023%2017_30_45.png[/IMG] how to change faction icons ?
    Last edited by MoorsihSultan; November 19, 2023 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    you need to click on the right picture (of the chosen by you family member) and then, iirc, click on the icon in that window that is in red circle

teutonics do occur but not as a separate faction, but as units and buildings.
    timurids - I've never gone in this subject but for sure there's no separate timurid faction
    are there plans to include them?? i know this mod is a work in progress, you guys are still just in early era campaign, and you can't include every single political entity because this is M2TW not EU4. but i hope those two factions will be in the future. lithuania needs its mortal enemy, and the HRE needs its angry little brother. the middle east needs more conflict

edit: wow! this talk about 2 missing factions made me read more about the teutonic order, and i find out they still exist today. imagine that. they were a brief but powerful medieval faction that held their own lands despite not being a country. part of why i love SSHIP and M2TW so much is because i learn so much history in a fun way. this is why i hope for every major faction to be included
    Last edited by Sllhouette; November 19, 2023 at 02:24 PM.

Default Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP ver. 0.98 - August 10th, 2023

Does anybody know if the 500 unit limit apply to all campaigns or it's for each separately? I feel like it would allow to focus development if we made the early era campaign cover until 1300 only on paper, and have the late era one start at that date rather than 1390? for instance all Kostic units cover 12th and 13th centuries already (And it took many years); you could use the armor upgrades to cover the entire period without having to add extra units (like mailed knights -> Feudal knights in one), there's also the mongols as late game challenge; the Mongol invasion of Europe ended in 1291, therefore you can have Ottomans and Timurids as late game challenge for the later date. Another thing that characterizes the first period are the crusades; by 1291 Acre fell, and coincidentally around that date the reconquista in Spain also entered a stalemate that dragged for 200 years.

If that were possible then IMO it would be easy to make the rosters much more neat and organized (which I'm willing to attempt btw).

I understand that there are people who play the game for like 600 turns, but 1132 to the end of the middle ages (and way beyond, if you go by current rosters which have pike and shot stuff) is really large timespan to cover: 720 turns, with a start and end around 1300 you'd get a campaign of 300 and 388 turns respectively.

And sorry, just realized I missed the right thread, meant to post it in general discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I second @kostic: as far as I know, @nicossaiz, who made this revamp 4 years ago, hasn't changed anything but appearance of the units and changes in the descriptions. Actually, there might be problems with the descriptions, as that file was a bit modified over those 4 years.
    For a modder it should be realitively easy to restore previous skins.
    However, we don't has a simple "set of files" to provide you, @Bones4491, with a patch - somebody would have to make a minimod.
    Thanks for the response. I know they are quite fantastical but found SHIPP's versions of them were more stable than the originals.

I have a unrelated question however. I noticed Russians look very similar to your typical idea of medieval Byzantines (particularly middle / late). To what extend was this Slavic nations copying Byzantium with the adoption of Orthodoxy and similar Viking influence? Was this done to be practical as they were an Eastern people or an aspiration to appear more Roman?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Bones4491 View Post
    I have a unrelated question however. I noticed Russians look very similar to your typical idea of medieval Byzantines (particularly middle / late). To what extend was this Slavic nations copying Byzantium with the adoption of Orthodoxy and similar Viking influence? Was this done to be practical as they were an Eastern people or an aspiration to appear more Roman?
    IMO, this was because of the cultural ascendency of the Romaioi - both for aspiration, but also because it was a superior technologically.

Quote Originally Posted by Sind_01 View Post
    Does anybody know if the 500 unit limit apply to all campaigns or it's for each separately? I feel like it would allow to focus development if we made the early era campaign cover until 1300 only on paper, and have the late era one start at that date rather than 1390? for instance all Kostic units cover 12th and 13th centuries already (And it took many years); you could use the armor upgrades to cover the entire period without having to add extra units (like mailed knights -> Feudal knights in one), there's also the mongols as late game challenge; the Mongol invasion of Europe ended in 1291, therefore you can have Ottomans and Timurids as late game challenge for the later date. Another thing that characterizes the first period are the crusades; by 1291 Acre fell, and coincidentally around that date the reconquista in Spain also entered a stalemate that dragged for 200 years.
    If that were possible then IMO it would be easy to make the rosters much more neat and organized (which I'm willing to attempt btw).
    500 is for the whole game.

how to change faction flags in the menu ?

Quote Originally Posted by MoorsihSultan View Post
    how to change faction flags in the menu ?
    I've never done it.
    But there must be many manuals to do it, it seems simple.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

I think I have seen it in one of "ui" subfolders. There is place for .tga files such as building icons, description pictures, general user interface and also flags. Just open different files in gimp or photoshop you will find them easily.
    EDIT: You can find files in data/ui/faction_symbols
    Last edited by Majkl; November 21, 2023 at 10:10 AM.

How did I get backstabbed by my ally when I was Trustworthy?

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

It's a "Total War"
    Even an ally may be tempted to attack if our garrisons are weak ! @Macaras is responsible for this part of the game. Maybe he will make improvements to this aspect ?

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    It's a "Total War"
    Even an ally may be tempted to attack if our garrisons are weak ! @Macaras is responsible for this part of the game. Maybe he will make improvements to this aspect ?
    Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of trusted ally?

I ended turn. My King died, -5000 florins. The same in-between turn, my new king died, another -5000 florins. No battles, just 2 natural deaths. -10,0000 florins for ONE turn. Mercenaries demand payment, etc. etc. etc. campaign goes up in flames.
    Why the heck was the crown given to someone who was already dead, and why did I have to pay for a dead man's coronation?
    Last edited by Gaku; November 21, 2023 at 11:11 AM.

I actually did it on purpose 😉 in the first versions the trusted ally would never attack, but I think it gave too much security to the player and made it too easy and predictable , just became ally, and with good reputation you can choose one enemy, eliminate, than another etc while being perfectly secure with other factions. So the trusted ally can attack you especially if some conditions are fulfilled - as Kostic- says low garrisons may be too tempting if the other has no enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    I actually did it on purpose  in the first versions the trusted ally would never attack, but I think it gave too much security to the player and made it too easy and predictable , just became ally, and with good reputation you can choose one enemy, eliminate, than another etc while being perfectly secure with other factions. So the trusted ally can attack you especially if some conditions are fulfilled - as Kostic- says low garrisons may be too tempting if the other has no enemies.
    everything is considered "low garrisons" when it's the Romans.
    literally walk up to a half full garrison and besiege it with 4 units.
    Last edited by Gaku; November 21, 2023 at 12:55 PM.

Do you guys have a community discord at all? Does SS have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones4491 View Post
    Do you guys have a community discord at all? Does SS have one?
    We have set it up for our internal purposes to see how useful it is - nobody uses it, I check it maybe every fortnight. While I check TWC at least once a day, and usually more often...
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

I don't remember if I reported this before (I think I did in last year's version?), but the Serbian version of Italian Cav Militia doesn't have a profile image.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Yes thanks. Many such fixes will be fixed in the next release. This has already been corrected in my working version.

CullyDC's Avatar Laetus

Hey I've been really enjoying SSHIP.98 with only one minor issue. Warhorns seem to be missing or not fully implemented in battles? Here's some more info: https://imgur.com/a/Vu9P3gp

Can someone tell me how I can reactivate projectile trails? It's practically impossible to see arrows and such when zoomed out just a bit, and I'd rather like to be able to see what is shooting at what.