Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CullyDC View Post
    Hey I've been really enjoying SSHIP.98 with only one minor issue. Warhorns seem to be missing or not fully implemented in battles? Here's some more info: https://imgur.com/a/Vu9P3gp
    i've noticed this too its bothered me. sometimes in the midst of battle you really want to hear that satisfying blowing horn, instead my general just calls his men craven dogs. not so inspiring

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MoorsihSultan View Post
    how to change faction flags in the menu ?
    This guide has a section for all symbols a faction uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeelix View Post
    Can someone tell me how I can reactivate projectile trails? It's practically impossible to see arrows and such when zoomed out just a bit, and I'd rather like to be able to see what is shooting at what.
    There is a file aptly called descr_arrow_trail_effects.txt which covers that. Simply renaming it (just in case, for backup) will revert back to default values.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 25, 2023 at 09:15 PM.

I am just here to say thank you for keeping the game and the mod alive.

It is amazing what you have done with the mechanics given.

Real compliment to the AI. I played first time VH/H Byzantine Empire and the AI was extremly agressive on all fronts. They did coordinated backstabbing attacks, but they never felt unfair. They gave up when I slowed down the agression and just castled for a while., they would

accept peace and only attack me again 10 years later when they build up again and often attack where I pulled away my forces.

I was in constant war with the turks on the east, now they are finally gone (im turn 220), Serbia was backstabbing me from turn 1 but I can not beat them, I was able to get alliances with HRE and by trading regions I was able to secure peace on the western part of the border.

Hungary was a problem until they became Vassals of HRE, now they are peaceful. My biggest rival are the crusader states now (above me in power). I am at 24 regions, crowned, survived a civil war and probaly stop if I manage to get Jerusalem.

btw I recently played for the first time a paradox game, CK3 and this mod felt more immersive to me than a Paradox Grand Strategy game.

Diplomacy in CK3 is ridicilous and Alliances are overpowered (allies sailing all over the world for your ittle claim with all the militeary forces). Also character traits in CK3 seems to be entirely genetics/education, here in this mod your actions really matter. Really a shame about the hardcoded family limitations.

if you are interested in that little rant: https://www.reddit.com/r/ck3/comment...diplomacy_ck3/

So for me this mod is more immersive than CK3 a GRAND STRATEGY game, I think this is a compliment.

Cheers

Renaming descr_arrow_trail_effects.txt didn't work, however renaming descr_flaming_projectiles.txt seemed to do the trick. So thanks for pointing me to the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Djangoo View Post
    I am just here to say thank you for keeping the game and the mod alive.

It is amazing what you have done with the mechanics given.

Real compliment to the AI. I played first time VH/H Byzantine Empire and the AI was extremly agressive on all fronts. They did coordinated backstabbing attacks, but they never felt unfair. They gave up when I slowed down the agression and just castled for a while., they would

accept peace and only attack me again 10 years later when they build up again and often attack where I pulled away my forces.

I was in constant war with the turks on the east, now they are finally gone (im turn 220), Serbia was backstabbing me from turn 1 but I can not beat them, I was able to get alliances with HRE and by trading regions I was able to secure peace on the western part of the border.

Hungary was a problem until they became Vassals of HRE, now they are peaceful. My biggest rival are the crusader states now (above me in power). I am at 24 regions, crowned, survived a civil war and probaly stop if I manage to get Jerusalem.

btw I recently played for the first time a paradox game, CK3 and this mod felt more immersive to me than a Paradox Grand Strategy game.

Diplomacy in CK3 is ridicilous and Alliances are overpowered (allies sailing all over the world for your ittle claim with all the militeary forces). Also character traits in CK3 seems to be entirely genetics/education, here in this mod your actions really matter. Really a shame about the hardcoded family limitations.

if you are interested in that little rant: https://www.reddit.com/r/ck3/comment...diplomacy_ck3/

So for me this mod is more immersive than CK3 a GRAND STRATEGY game, I think this is a compliment.

Cheers
    Thank you, man! Nice to hear somebody is happy with AI, especially with its aggressiveness and difficulty. That was the purpose- to make AI treating differently big and small factions, peacefully and aggressive etc. And to make the Byzantine campaign a little struggle , as they start as the best faction in every aspect...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feeelix View Post
    Renaming descr_arrow_trail_effects.txt didn't work, however renaming descr_flaming_projectiles.txt seemed to do the trick. So thanks for pointing me to the right direction.
    Nice find. The projectiles file must have disabled the effect completely or linked to a dummy one, I had assumed the effect itself was edited. The file progression would be 'projectiles --> flaming --> effects'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Nice find. The projectiles file must have disabled the effect completely or linked to a dummy one, I had assumed the effect itself was edited. The file progression would be 'projectiles --> flaming --> effects'.
    Weirdly, now the Siphonatores have no flame stream and the enemies just burst into flames, if I "activate" the descr_flaming_projectiles.txt again it works. I don't really understand why, as everything else worked as intended and was "vanilla" again, with nothing missing.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Well, the 'stream' is a custom flaming projectile I would think (flame throwers are from the crusades DLC). Hence it's disappearance when you disabled the file.

I see, that would make sense. Is there a way to just keep that part of the file and not the other modifications it does? For example by just deleting everything in it except the entries concerning the flamethrowers?

Update: So I tried fiddling around with removing some arrow_model_trail lines and it changes nothing. It can't be that hard to just get vanilla missile trails back without changing anything else , sadly I have no real idea what I'm doing though.

Any way to do this would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the annoyance. I'm having great fun with the mod, but being unable to see arrows when not zoomed in bugs me immensely
    Last edited by Feeelix; November 27, 2023 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Best approach would be to do a file compare with the default file and then take a educated guess which edit disabled the trails.

Individual file unpacking can be done.

How do i build a university? I'm playing as England, thought I had read in the pop-up on an early turn that you need to have 4 schools built and then should have the ability to build a university but I haven't seen it populate in any city's construction panel - just wondering if there are other requirements to meet before building one

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Djangoo View Post
    Upload a save for us to have a look :-)

Quote Originally Posted by droppinturds View Post
    How do i build a university? I'm playing as England, thought I had read in the pop-up on an early turn that you need to have 4 schools built and then should have the ability to build a university but I haven't seen it populate in any city's construction panel - just wondering if there are other requirements to meet before building one
    ;======================================================================================================
    ;---------- Universities - catholic evolution ------------------------------------------------------------------

; this script makes universities buildable for the Catholic factions
    ; there is an event EDUCATION_BOLOGNA_UNIVERSITY describing this mechanism

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    and RandomPercent < 20

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_islam = 1
    set_event_counter EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE 1
    log ------ terminate Latin Universities Mechanism for player Islam faction
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_orthodox = 1
    log ------ terminate Latin Universities Mechanism for player Orthodox faction
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_pagan = 1
    log ------ terminate Latin Universities Mechanism for player Pagan faction
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_EventCounter EDUCATION_PRIVILEGIUM_SCHOLASTICUM > 0
    if I_CompareCounter number_school_built > 1
    and I_EventCounter faction_turn_southern_european == 1
    historic_event EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE factions { pisa, venice, sicily, spain, portugal, aragon, }
    log ------ terminate Latin_Universities_Buildable_Mechanism event after 2 schools built (SE)
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter number_school_built > 3
    and I_EventCounter faction_turn_northern_european == 1
    historic_event EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE factions { jerusalem, hre, france, england, norway, denmark, }
    log ------ terminate Latin_Universities_Buildable_Mechanism event after 4 schools built (NE)
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter number_school_built > 5
    and I_EventCounter faction_turn_eastern_european == 1
    historic_event EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE factions { poland, hungary, }
    log ------ terminate Latin_Universities_Buildable_Mechanism event after 6 schools built (EE)
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 200 ; fall-back after 200 turns
    historic_event EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE factions { poland, hungary, pisa, venice, sicily, spain, portugal, aragon, jerusalem, hre, france, england, norway, denmark, }
    log ------ terminate Latin_Universities_Buildable_Mechanism after 200 turns
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_if

if I_EventCounter EDUCATION_PRIVILEGIUM_SCHOLASTICUM < 1 ; at the end of script so that it doesn't fire in the same turn
    and I_TurnNumber > 50
    and RandomPercent < 40
    historic_event EDUCATION_PRIVILEGIUM_SCHOLASTICUM factions { poland, hungary, pisa, venice, sicily, spain, portugal, aragon, jerusalem, hre, france, england, norway, denmark, }
    end_if
    end_monitor
    {EDUCATION_PRIVILEGIUM_SCHOLASTICUM_BODY}\nAround year 1155, Holy Roman Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa issued the Privilegium Scholasticum (also sometimes called the Authentica Habita), which set out the rights, rules, and privileges of universities. The document is a key document in the establishment of universities throughout Europe. \n\nFrom the mid-11th century, scholars from across the Catholic world were flocking to Bologna to study civil and canon law, yet as foreigners in the city, they found themselves distressingly bereft of any legal protections. As a means to alleviate the difficulties of these learned men (and thus encourage them to stay and continue their studies), the Privilegium was drawn up, providing them with the most basic rights and liberties necessary for their continued preservation in foreign lands. The Privilegium was confirmed by Pope Alexander III, and incorporated into Justinian's Codex, showing just how significant it had become. \n\nGAME STRATEGY: Catholic factions will be able to construct universities if enough money had been invested in schools.\n\nThe event enables also recruitment of the Mangonel units (only for the player).
    {EDUCATION_PRIVILEGIUM_SCHOLASTICUM_TITLE}Privilegium Scholasticum

{EDUCATION_BOLOGNA_UNIVERSITY_BODY}\n\nAlready in the mid-11th century, scholars from across the Catholic world were flocking to Bologna to study civil and canon law. In the wake of their activities, the University of Bologna emerged in the western world. It is considered as the first university, even though Sorbona, the university of Paris, claims sometimes something different. As the motto of the scholars' union was is "Alma mater studiorum", we now call universities that we have been graduated from, "Alma Mater". \n\nGAME STRATEGY: From now on, the Catholic factions will be able to build universities. However, they have to investe first in the basic educational facilities - schools. Not many - two are enough. However, having a university will make education of your generals much easier, the administratively minded generals will get very valuable traits, and the scholarly minded (with a trait "Scholar") can get a Doctor Philosophiae level and also find books in the libraries, benefiting the whole faction.
    {EDUCATION_BOLOGNA_UNIVERSITY_TITLE}University of Bologna

{EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE_BODY}\n\nGAME STRATEGY: From this moment, the Catholic factions will be able to build universities. Be aware that education at a university may provide generals with administrative inclinations with extremely valuable traits.
    {EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE_TITLE}Universities can be build
    you need also the Large City level

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I don't know anything about coding, but are these double signs normal?

if I_EventCounter EDUCATION_PRIVILEGIUM_SCHOLASTICUM > 0
    if I_CompareCounter number_school_built > 1
    and I_EventCounter faction_turn_southern_european == 1
    historic_event EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE factions { pisa, venice, sicily, spain, portugal, aragon, }
    log ------ terminate Latin_Universities_Buildable_Mechanism event after 2 schools built (SE)
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter number_school_built > 3
    and I_EventCounter faction_turn_northern_european == 1
    historic_event EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE factions { jerusalem, hre, france, england, norway, denmark, }
    log ------ terminate Latin_Universities_Buildable_Mechanism event after 4 schools built (NE)
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter number_school_built > 5
    and I_EventCounter faction_turn_eastern_european == 1
    historic_event EDUCATION_UNIVERSITIES_BUILDABLE factions { poland, hungary, }
    log ------ terminate Latin_Universities_Buildable_Mechanism event after 6 schools built (EE)
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

== is Belovese's beloved way of saying =

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I don't know anything about coding, but are these double signs normal?
    In a programming world this is a typical equal operator, used for evaluating boolean value of an expression. Some programming languages like Javascript also use === as an equal sign equivalent, but not going into the details it all boils down to the same thing.

And when you see a lone = in a code snippet, this will usually be a variable assignment.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Ok, ok... So it's normal
    Programming is really not my field !

When the mercenaries disband, the order of operations is 1) income is calculated as usual, 2) if you are in debt the troops are deleted. This means that deleting the troops does not increase your income on the same turn.

In fighting a 3 front war, I had several provinces besieged simultaneously and went ~5000 in the hole. "The mercenaries demand payment." In the same turn, I broke all of the sieges and cancelled constructions to get well over 10,000f excess in the treasury. The next turn, I had a net gain of 12-15,000f. Yet the mercenaries disbanded anyway. "But you only got that surplus because of the disbanded mercenaries!" I hear you say. Not true. Because I ended the next turn as a test, with the exact same number of troops (post deletion) and had a surplus of 40,000f and that was after "a fortune is lost". i.e. On the turn that the mercs got deleted, I had a legitimate income of 12-15,000f which included covering the cost of all the mercs.

So I literally wasn't in debt, in fact I wasn't even losing money, I had over 20,000f in the treasury, yet my mercenaries got deleted anyway.
    And in my test, the very next thing that happens is due to the added unrest from the lack of mercenaries, the country enters a civil war, effectively breaking the campaign.

For the love of god, could you remove this broken game-ruining event?

Second...

Why is my reputation with the Pope constantly decreasing due to breaking sieges in purely defensive battles? Shouldn't the Pope be upset at the one besieging, not the one breaking the sieges? Releasing the captives does nothing; the Pope still gets angry. This, too, makes no sense.
    Last edited by Gaku; December 02, 2023 at 03:53 PM.

ad Mercenaries - this will be fixed for the next release. @Macaras pressed me hard to do it ;-) Event will stay though, at least for now.
    Pope is the matter of @Macaras.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaku View Post

Why is my reputation with the Pope constantly decreasing due to breaking sieges in purely defensive battles? Shouldn't the Pope be upset at the one besieging, not the one breaking the sieges? Releasing the captives does nothing; the Pope still gets angry. This, too, makes no sense.
    If you keep expanding (slowly or not) the relations with everybody will be terrible at some point (when you have many cities). If you have very good reputation, it will soften it a little. I wanted to achieve something like the last challenge before the human empire is too big to be threaten by anybody. So, if you are at this point all your relations will be terrible. If you are small and the relations are very bad for no reason, that's an error, I guess. Or you mean the Pope's missions to cease hostilities?
    Last edited by Macaras; December 03, 2023 at 09:11 AM.

Libertus

Trun 250 as the Zengids : https://mega.nz/folder/Yhxiya4L#ycTwWiRFw7fVLQRxLd8UrA

two remark :
    Why my faction leader in Damascus can't get the crown, I belive I have all the requirement
    Byzantine and HRE too strong in comparison to other faction