Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

i've mentioned before in the scotland thread that generals have never upgraded from mail armor knights. they still lack basic plate armor that all regular horses have by this point. i thought it would kick in super late, but like with halberdiers not getting their appropriate armor upgrades by gothic event, the generals never got their upgrade. and general armor is VERY important. i do like how it has changed how i use them though, they're only for emergencies. back in regular SS or vanilla, i would use them in every fight like a wrecking ball with the rest of the heavy cav, they were more like a super unit than a leader.

here you can see in the picture, it always shows them as not being ready for that last upgrade. it annoys me because the retrain tab will always be highlighted and it'll be these guys

For images I like to use imgbb.

I have this retrain bug sometimes too. Very annoying. And not just with generals. Sometimes I can retrain units again and again, without them changing their stats.

yeah! i've only recently started noticing that. my castles would get backed up because i wanted to give my troops extra training before sending them out. then next turn, i could've sworn i set them to retrain, but they're still nothing. i've googled it and its apparently a commonn m2tw issue, many TWC forum posts refer to it. it has something to do with saving the game, and reloading, it'll make the game forget what's supposed to be retrained for the next turn. they said to just do everything you need to do, and save retraining units for the very last task before you click end turn.

i save a LOT in SSHIP because of random crashes early on. now they're extremely rare for some reason

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

i've mentioned before in the scotland thread that generals have never upgraded from mail armor knights. they still lack basic plate armor that all regular horses have by this point. i thought it would kick in super late, but like with halberdiers not getting their appropriate armor upgrades by gothic event, the generals never got their upgrade. and general armor is VERY important. i do like how it has changed how i use them though, they're only for emergencies. back in regular SS or vanilla, i would use them in every fight like a wrecking ball with the rest of the heavy cav, they were more like a super unit than a leader.
    @Sllhouette: I think you are talking about generals, captains, kings and princes visible on the battlefield?

Indeed, if you remember correctly, the vanilla version offered complete armor for the generals from the start of the campaign and they remained as is until the end of the campaign. I changed their appearance, but if they are indeed more appropriate for the first part of the campaign, they become obsolete when we go beyond the 14th century.

You've passed the year 1520, that's huge! In any case this shows that the mod can run until the end!
    I see that your generals have the gold shield, which means the maximum in terms of armor. This should at least be seen on the general's bodyguards...

I haven't had time to deal with the late part of the campaign yet. Between my tests and modding, I don't think I've ever reached the year 1300!
    So these generals should one day be corrected for the late period. I don't know yet how to proceed but I hope we find a solution.

i can't remember vanilla late game general's armor, i haven't seen them in more than a decade, that speaks to how great these mods are. but i know in SS 6.4 there would be early general and late general, in the custom battle unit selection. so i assumed that it was the same for vanilla? maybe it was an SS-only improvement.

your comment implies that i might have the upgraded stats, just not the visual model. now im doubting myself. but i really feel like my chivalric knights with full upgrades kill many units and survive very long with fewer casualties, than any of my "upgraded" generals. always in SS 6.4 the generals survived way longer than any heavy cav, its different here in SSHIP. there must be a mistake in the upgrading tiers for generals.

i hope you guys can find good modding partners who can specialize in the later period while you guys are busy with everything else

I'd like to pay your attention to the muslim factions - crusade mechanism.
    during my Abbasid campaign VH\VH, I'm unable to hault the crusade through making peace with the papacy, and that's because I'm still in a state of alliance with them even after them declaring a crusade against a city of mine.
    In diplomacy with the papacy, I'm unable to find the option to request the crusade to be stopped. is this meant to be? can it be fixed? attached is the sav. file of the campaign. https://www.mediafire.com/file/etqi1...215ad.sav/file

in addition, during a Cumans campaign, I was unable to updgrade my large towns to minor cities after surpassing 12.5k population. I noticed that the large towns cumans own are unable to construct further agricultrual building, are you aware of this? can it be fixed? my cumans campaign is on hold because of this issue.

Last edited by a Dictator's Cigar; January 17, 2024 at 01:29 AM.

im sieging york, which was one of my first ever cities (meaning it has full tower upgrades), it rebelled after i changed my capital farther away. i see that it has my former cannon towers, but it shoots flaming ballista bolts at my siege equipment. can rebels use cannon towers?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Cumans issue - it's a feature, not a bug. These are deep steppes, cities couldn't be built here until after the Medieval era, say 16th century or later.

crazy heathen woman ranting about the old gods, didn't think one witch could cause such massive problems. can't reach her on her "holy" mountain. gonna have to cheat this time and console command her back onto solid ground so she can be silenced

Personally, I would be happy to remove the witches from our next version. It's a fantastic, whimsical element that has no place in a historical mod.

Anyway, I'm absolutely impressed by your Scottish countryside. I don't know if one day in my life I will get this far!
    Last edited by kostic; January 29, 2024 at 05:24 PM.

the presence of witches on the campaign map does add up to the purpose of priests. I wonder if it's possible to remodule Witches to a different form of agent that can still be engaged by a priest. maybe like a revolt-related agent where the priest has to engage with it or turn heretic. this gives potential for a more historical-based action for the priest (beyond denouncing whimsy witches, I agree). it all depends on what can you remodule the Witch agent into.

i was content to let some witches live in their caves, until they gave leprosy to 2-3 of my generals and ruined their careers (massive movement penalty), and i see that they can cause far more heresy than a heretic can. thankfully, they're very easy to kill, compared to regular heretics who are hard to both kill or denounce.

kostic, trust me, its not "fun" lol. i've grown too bloated and empire administration is a headache. i have several generals on several fronts, i have a general who patrols the empire trying to put down bandits and rebels, i have several full (10 agents) city squads of bishops and cardinals on different pagan frontiers. i have to deal with may unhappy cities and no governors to govern them. i have a MASSIVE supply line stretching from spain to the horse steppes, of full armies walking to the end of the world. cities are backed up from too many armies so the only way to keep the machine going is to keep feeding it poor souls. both of mine and the enemy's. i have to keep an efficient building of several fleets, because i neglected them until now and the other factions have fleets that are killing me and preventing me from supplying africa and sicily. i have spies in every single remaining city, the entire map is seen. i have like 20+ assassins, killing everyone and turning cities into riot zones.

i only do this because i want to see this through to the end. but i never want to deal with having a world empire again. i have around 40 turns left...i checked the time once, and it took me hour and a half to finish one turn (i rarely auto resolve)

i was content to let some witches live in their caves, until they gave leprosy to 2-3 of my generals and ruined their careers (massive movement penalty), and i see that they can cause far more heresy than a heretic can. thankfully, they're very easy to kill, compared to regular heretics who are hard to both kill or denounce.

kostic, trust me, its not "fun" lol. i've grown too bloated and empire administration is a headache. i have several generals on several fronts, i have a general who patrols the empire trying to put down bandits and rebels, i have several full (10 agents) city squads of bishops and cardinals on different pagan frontiers. i have to deal with may unhappy cities and no governors to govern them. i have a MASSIVE supply line stretching from spain to the horse steppes, of full armies walking to the end of the world. cities are backed up from too many armies so the only way to keep the machine going is to keep feeding it poor souls. both of mine and the enemy's. i have to keep an efficient building of several fleets, because i neglected them until now and the other factions have fleets that are killing me and preventing me from supplying africa and sicily. i have spies in every single remaining city, the entire map is seen. i have like 20+ assassins, killing everyone and turning cities into riot zones.

i only do this because i want to see this through to the end. but i never want to deal with having a world empire again. i have around 40 turns left...i checked the time once, and it took me hour and a half to finish one turn (i rarely auto resolve)

@Silhouette: It is indeed impressive that you have made it this far. If maintaining an empire is naturally a difficult task, I think we should think about improving the police role of the militiamen.
    I actually find it unbalanced to have to saturate your cities with militias to avoid revolts. Hopefully with the implementation of garrison units, the player will finally be able to hold cities without having to maintain 20 units within them!

I have noticed in my Russian campaign (August version) that both my enemies (Poles, Lithuanians) and friends (Novgorod and Byzantines) have armies composed of infantry, landowners units, cavalry and sometimes also javelins but they NEVER have archers of any kind.. Is it possible that the AI can have at least one or 2 archers in its armies? This way it would be more challenging, since if they don't have archers I can attack them easier with my cavalry and horse archers.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    @Silhouette: It is indeed impressive that you have made it this far. If maintaining an empire is naturally a difficult task, I think we should think about improving the police role of the militiamen.
    I actually find it unbalanced to have to saturate your cities with militias to avoid revolts. Hopefully with the implementation of garrison units, the player will finally be able to hold cities without having to maintain 20 units within them!
    since im in empire mode and cities mean nothing to me now, i've worked out a cookie-cutter way to keep conquering and moving:

1. always exterminate. you can't run an empire being nice, good reputation is nice for diplomacy but there is no diplomacy when you're an empire. anyone who is not you, must die. if you capture enemy huge cities like vienna, or prague? 100k citizens? you will get a massive revolt if you don't at least sack. i just exterminate now. some cities, i can even leave it the same turn, and it'll still be green. usually its the huge cities, because they have all the happiness buildings already. trim down the population, and they're very solid in green public order

2. lowest taxes, yearly or monthly races. none of the finance systems that SSHIP tries to implement matter anymore. doesn't matter if my governors are the worst taxmen on earth with -50% income. the empire is too big. i make way too much money. i think im almost at 2 million, and i try to spend from every single castle on the map to keep the war machine rolling. i have many "costly armies" without generals moving marching through my lands, every turn i have to close like 10+ notifications. especially as you get farther east, you can't hop city to city per turn, the distances are too large, like in russia. you just have to walk in the open. it makes me feel like the US military. i will spend way more money logistically than i need to, because its just more convenient for me.

3. all my priests are at my frontiers. when i exterminate cities, i send in full slot priests to convert the survivors by the sword. first thing i build after repairing all damage is a church. within 5 turns or so i can get christianity above 80%. easy way to move priests, stuff all agents into the city, and then when the next city is conquered, select all priests at once to move to new city

4. because i keep a giant channel of fresh troops moving from west to east europe, i always have an army behind ready to sit in the new city, while my general army moves on to the next. don't need to wait too long...not when you have money

Quote Originally Posted by Sllhouette View Post
    crazy heathen woman ranting about the old gods, didn't think one witch could cause such massive problems. can't reach her on her "holy" mountain. gonna have to cheat this time and console command her back onto solid ground so she can be silenced

damn it, another witch has popped up in this SAME SPOT. something needs to be done about the terrain there, witches love to spawn protected

north of coimbra, in portugal, there are two bridges leading to northern spain. on the right bridge, there is a rebel leader with an army, and i sent a governor to deal with him. however, every auto resolve results in defeat, and whenever i try to enter battle, the game will crash at this location. its not a big deal, i can get more men to that general then auto-resolve, but thought i should mention it

Quote Originally Posted by Sllhouette View Post
    north of coimbra, in portugal, there are two bridges leading to northern spain. on the right bridge, there is a rebel leader with an army, and i sent a governor to deal with him. however, every auto resolve results in defeat, and whenever i try to enter battle, the game will crash at this location. its not a big deal, i can get more men to that general then auto-resolve, but thought i should mention it
    Thanks for the feedback. There's probably a unit causing the game to crash. If you upload your savegame, I might be able to find the unit responsible and fix it.

Icon5 Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

The game crashes just after this battle to take Pamplona with a small army. Is this due to the presence of the allied general who was killed before I got there?The full log says that:mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: I_WonBattle needs a faction that was in the battlewhen testing condition19:25:32.678 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec at line 60010 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt19:25:32.678 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for , at line 60010, in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: I_WonBattle needs a faction that was in the battlewhen testing condition19:25:32.678 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec at line 60017 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt...19:25:32.678 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec at line 60212 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt19:25:32.678 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger fired19:25:32.678 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger fired19:25:32.678 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger fired19:25:32.679[game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger fired19:25:32.686 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on19:25:32.686 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on19:25:32.775 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.There are no tools left to answer today ??? I can't link my backup. That was it: by replaying the battle but preventing the allied general from getting killed, the game didn't crash after the battle this time. There must be a line of code missing to make this possible without crashing the game...
    Last edited by kostic; February 08, 2024 at 03:05 AM.