Thread: Can someone explain how loyalty/traits work in this?

Default Can someone explain how loyalty/traits work in this?

Specifically how to maintain or improve loyalty and how to deal with negative traits.

A common issue I have, for instance, is low loyalty amongst generals....sometimes even none. What can be done to remedy this? What about the trait regarding not having the king's eye? Am I supposed to move my king from city to city so that governors stay loyal?

Also how am I supposed to handle "civil wars" or usurpers? Is the mod designed so that I actually try and help one "side" or the other win or is it just a case of waiting and seeing whether generals stay loyal or not?

I'd really like to be able to understand how to better manage my kingdom, generals, etc so I'd really appreciate it if those in the know could explain things for me. It seems to be more complex in this than in standard SS, but in any case I often have no idea how to manage loyalty and my dynasty properly.

Default Re: Can someone explain how loyalty/traits work in this?

Can't answer the first one but civil wars just happen. You go along for the ride. You can help or hurt the ruler by increasing his command or chivalry or hurt his chances by getting him killed and getting a new ruler. After 10-20 turns, the usurper becomes king and the other family members get in line...... usually.

I think the point is to limit faction activities during a civil war since the faction shouldn't be out conquering new lands.

My best method of dealing with this so far has been forgetting about governing things. All your family / Generals go out on campaign together. They are now your heavy cav for your armies. Fighting usually makes your generals happy, and if one becomes particularly unruly he might make a bad tactical decision at some point... Just in case, try and have your faction leader and loyal family member/heir be the "leader" of the army rather than some speaks of loyalty general you found in a ditch.

Best part about above method is that you don't have to pay the 700+ for heavy cav. As great as it is, I personally found myself using much more infantry than normal because horses are expensive. Though using hordes of fodder with few "real" soldiers and even fewer cavalry units is somewhat realistic and nice, this helps circumvent it a little.

DO NOT have your faction leader or heir as governors. Don't forget about them somewhere either. You keep them near the largest mass of your generals and if you have a large empire you make sure trusted family guards the outskirts and not some man of the hour or adoption.

I'm having major issues with the Usurper trait playing as HRE.

I got to around turn 50 but my facton heir always seems to get the the Usurper trait. I try to kill them off ASAP but no matter who it is they always seem to get the trait as soon as they become heir, even if they are very loyal at the time