Thread: Proper native names of Turkish factions

Default Proper native names of Turkish factions

Hi there,

First of all thanks everyone who contributed for this submod , it's really amazing.

I wanted to help you as every faction in their native names, but Turkish factions are in Arabic language. Below names are proper for the factions.

Sultanate of Rum : Anadolu Selçukluları

Zengid Emirate : Zengi Devleti

Great Seljuk Empire : Büyük Selçuklu İmparatorluğu
    Hello. Today we are gathered here to do battle. Regretable, isn't it? but sometimes, you know, life is like that. You have to do something that you don't want to do, just because someone is telling you to do it. I didn't want to be here myself, but then my mother told me that I'd better make a reasonable show of it all, so here we go then...
    Today we fight against monsters - the Gauls! They are dangerous, mad and hairy beyond reason. In victory, they are always heartless.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Proper native names of Turkish factions

Thank you for your input, really appreciated.

I'm not able to speak Turkish, so can you confirm that these names were used as mentioned in your post during the game period of SSHIP?

Many thanks in advance.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

That's also my concern. Sometimes empires back then used names not necessarily in their native language. If you can confirm that the names were used or even more probably used than the arabic ones, I'll change it immediately.

Well first of all, regarding the Seljuks , their language is not related to Arabic at all, it would be Turkish and Persian. The Great Seljuk Sultans were Turkic but the land they were governing were populated by mostly Persian people. If you want to use the state language as a faction name, I guess it should be the Persian one but since I don't speak Persian , I can only help by wikipedia. But on the other hand since they are Turkic Kings you can also use the Turkish names for the faction. Maybe you can use Persian name for Great Seljuks, and use the Turkish name for Anatolian Seljuks.
    Hello. Today we are gathered here to do battle. Regretable, isn't it? but sometimes, you know, life is like that. You have to do something that you don't want to do, just because someone is telling you to do it. I didn't want to be here myself, but then my mother told me that I'd better make a reasonable show of it all, so here we go then...
    Today we fight against monsters - the Gauls! They are dangerous, mad and hairy beyond reason. In victory, they are always heartless.

Blog Entries

If I refer to the writtings from that period, these factions, (except Zengids somehow) used the Kufic style which is the oldest Arabic calligraphy (from Koufa, city in Irak).
    In another way, you're right about their Turkish (Orghuz) origin. However, they were "persianized" in culture and in language (according to Wikipedia and some other sources).

I think that the Arabic names we use at present are quite ok if you consider that under the Ottoman empire (which appeared later that when our submod starts), the Turk language was originally and only spoken by peasants. For business, they used the Greek. The rulers/leaders (administration, politics and religious) used the Arab. In madrasa (schools), Arab and Persian were teached as the translation of the Quran was forbidden. With time, the Osmanli language (Ottoman's language) appeared and was a mixed between Turk, Persian and Arab.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

According to the german wiki, persian was definitely used in adminstration as well as in cultural stuff. For rum and the seljuks, the names are already in persian. For the zhengids, I couldn't find anything else than the arabic name.

Also, those guys seemed to have a comparable outcome on the the topic: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-v0-9-RELEASED

Blog Entries

I've done more researches and all sources I could find confirm that MWY has wrtitten.

This appears to be in modern Turkish which I'm not certain is exactly accurate for SSHIP's time period.