Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Thread: Warhammer TW Wishlist.

scoicarius's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Warhammer TW Wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by aquila_mars View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Oh absolutely yes, and I do suggest you should play it for yourself, because it is an under the radar great game.

In King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame II (I played the second one), you have only 1 army led by a hero (later becomes 3 armies led by other heroes), due to the nature of the game. The first army is led by your character, William (if I remember correctly) who is Arthur's son. Now, on the campaign map, there are quests, some of these are battles, and some of them are narrative driven choice -risk reward dialogue stuff.
    Also there is

------Rightful
    -
    old faith- -christianity
    -
    -------Tyrant

The options you chose during these text based narrated quests often effect this charter ^ and this charter in turn allows you to recruit certain types of units. Like Arch Angels/Seraphs if you are Rightful and Christian. Dark Angels if you are Tyrant and Christian. And even various abilities become available to certain units depending on how far you are in one direction.

To give you an example, in one particular mission you set out to find a cure for your father, and when you find the healer (who refuses to leave without helping the village he is in) you have a few options.

-Burn the village and kill the infected - +Tyranny

-Try to heal the village - +Rightful (this option branches out to two other options in which you can look for a druid +Old faith or look to church for help +Christian)

-Leave the village be (it was slightly more grand sounding than this )

And there are consequences to your options as well, as if you 'leave the village be' it later turns into an infested enemy encampment which you have to go and destroy.

In another quest you find several artifacts in a secret place but you have to get a scroll from the fires in which case, depending on how much of the place you explored (through text based narration again) and how much of the items you found, you have to throw one of the items you found into a magical fireplace to make the flames go away so you can take the scroll.
    And if you didn't find items you could use your mana to make the flames extinguish. However that would leave the hero with half the mana you would have for the next battle. And you could do this to preserve the artifacts you found if you didn't want to burn them.

And not all options are rewarding. As you can end up being seriously injured and have to have your hero have -50% of his health for the next battle.

Quote Originally Posted by nightplayer View Post
    Hi, sure, this video shows it in detail, skip to 5.15 / 5.20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bvf2t8_KY4

Game was a little gem developed by small team, a company the size of CA could probably make 100 of these quests. Not all quests had battles and some decisions were based on what stats your heroes had whether they would be successful or not.

I think CA could implement a quest system like this quite easily and it would help flesh out the Lore of the War hammer world.
    Thanks for the details guys. I like the system a lot, especially that it's in text form. I think this gives it a very distinct charm.

Someone on the official forum suggested something similar. I'll quote him in full because I also like the way he described it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion
    An extremely good idea that the mod rage of the dark gods had was that it had its own form of quest battles. Now the point of this thread is that while I trust CA that their quest battles will be good, I hope they are more than just "get an army of X composition of specific units to area Y on the campaign map with Z number of turns" and rage of the dark gods did it a cool way, for example if you played as the dwarfs you would get a message warning of scratching noises becoming more common and louder near a giant fortress like karak kadrin the slayer keep and then it would turn into a full stack or two right outside your walls of night goblins, or that an Orc army is going to move through a pass and you need to get their to block them from entering the empire, an oath the dwarfs take very seriously.

While I'd ideally not want to be rushed with time limits on quest battles or anything like that. I think the opportunity for game events that are race specific like a pop-up saying you hear drums in the distance or scratching behind a certain area of deep roads, spend x amount of money and scout out and quell the problem ( or at least gain Intel) or ignore it and suffer an attack aimed a city. I think that would be cool race specific event to encounter as the dwarfs that are NOT quest battles, just part of their campaign map gameplay. With similar stuff happened that would make sense for each race. Like for the orcs a message would pop up saying ( in orcish tone of course) " sum offa git iz challengin' yaz to a duel of single combat! If youz stomp um gewd his boyz might join yer waaaghhh!!! Boss!" Thus prompting a battle of JUST your faction leader model against a random green skin general model, and if you win you get free troops, you lose, you get a faction wide debuff for a few turns ( not to mention heal your leader over a turn or two)

What do you all think? Again these would NOT be quest battles as I already think ca has plenty of cool lore to make those, I'm talking about race specific campaign map events, that would launch normal events that happen in said races lore. Anything from a huge siege, to a race/empire wide buff debuff, or just finding ( or losing) some extra cash.
    I really hope they do more with quests than just battles. Huge potential here.
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 23, 2015 at 09:40 PM.
    The Art of Warhammer Fantasy <-- link
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I'm just happy gyrocopters have limited ammunition and bombs, that's a good sing of the endless Empire Total War cannons never coming back.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

if ranged accuracy determines area of effect rather than hit/miss
    if there is no 1v1 fighting
    if units don't move like robots
    if special ability buttons are extremely rare to none
    if there is a tremendous amount of %chance in both campaign and battle maps
    if units and agents and generals have their own character based on circumstances rather than me deciding what they are like
    if there are lots of different kinds of buildings and building paths
    if reinforcement isn't automatic

well, essentially, if the game is as realistic as possible (simulating as best as possible nation management and military command) and as much of a sandbox as possible for replayability sake, i'll buy it. otherwise, i'll just keep playing m2tw for my fix of this genre.

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

M2 is great, and while I'd like to see Total War warhammer to go in its footsteps, I'd rather not see it become a reality simulator. It is a fantasy universe after all.
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

M2 is great, and while I'd like to see Total War warhammer to go in its footsteps, I'd rather not see it become a reality simulator. It is a fantasy universe after all.
    It was great back when it was, tried to play it a few times with WH mod, but game feels cluncky and outdated now, can't get use to camera movement. Also it was one of the ahistorical TW games, as an reenactor I couldn't look at coat of arms, and some units, also timeframe was overstretched.

Medieval mod for Attila is on other hand perfect, everything looks right.

Stainless Steel makes m2 a great game for today's standards

Stainless Steel makes m2 a great game for today's standards
    And no faction locked DLC was needed for that masterpiece.

Shameless self promotion for my LP channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClE...NDSg/playlists

good fantasies are those that are believable. a fantasy that isn't believable just alienates the audience. it wouldn't be immersive. this isn't what i meant, though.
    i was more speaking of the game mechanics simulating managing an empire and warriors rather than the warhammer universe. if 80% of a unit of 120 archers gets a bullseye on an ork from 100 feet away and then proceeds to march in absolutely perfect formation, i proceed to a 10 year old game that doesn't simulate things in such a way.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Ok, I've got a chance to play Ultimate General: Gettysburg, and while it's far from being a perfect game, I have to say I really, really liked it. I adore the pacing, that's exactly what I'd want for total war (slow unit movement, big maps, long engagements which give you time to do hit and runs, redeployments, etc). Really makes you feel like a general developing a grand-strategy.

Since one of the things that has always annoyed me about TW is how most of the time once one army starts to rout the battle is over (and it happening seconds after the first clashes occur does not precisely help), while playing Gettysburg I thought that it might be interesting if terrain was given some kind of (stronger) morale bonuses, with the main aim of giving a fleeing army a landmark around which to gather in order to create the chance of having multi-stage battles rather than just "let's see who routs faster" single charge battles. For instance, if the defending army is set on top of a hill, and the attackers assault and eventually win it over, rather than just making the battle an endless chase of routers to maximize casualties, the defenders might regroup at a further away defensive position. Giving terrain "morale stats" could avoid that fleeing units just ran past it and ignored allies setting a second line defence on a hill or something. Maybe these bonuses could be applied just to fleeing units to avoid making hills and the like too overpowered.

To illustrate what happens in UG: Gettysburg:

So I essentially had to assault three Union's defensive positions because after I manage to break them, rather than just going nuts and running in panic to the closest edge of the map, instead they just regroup in a different location to try to stop my advance again. Hell, sometimes they even manage to push the enemy back and recapture some positions.

In this particular game (sorry, the screenshot is not mine, but the positions are roughly the same) they were actually setting up a fourth defensive line on the hills south of the town when the first day of battle ended. That's what I mean when I talk about the lack of "multi-phase" battles in different parts of the map in TW games. I ended up fighting 4 "mini-battles" against the same army in 4 different parts of the map, in the same battle.

* As a side note, it's ridiculous in how many indirect ways a slower pace improves over TW issues. There is for instance no need at all for individual unit cards or to frantically micromanage everything, even when you are often controlling lots of units in distant parts of the map. You just give your orders straight on the battle map, and you don't have to worry about your entire flank getting obliterated because you spent ten more seconds than you should have zoomed in watching kill moves... It actually allows you to not just play the game, but also enjoy it (which would make a lot of more sense in TW since you can actually zoom in to watch the soldiers in detail, but you end up never doing it because it usually translates into 200 idle cavalrymen in your flank getting slaughtered while doing nothing).
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; October 11, 2015 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Ok, I've got a chance to play Ultimate General: Gettysburg, and while it's far from being a perfect game, I have to say I really, really liked it. I adore the pacing, that's exactly what I'd want for total war (slow unit movement, big maps, long engagements which give you time to do hit and runs, redeployments, etc). Really makes you feel like a general developing a grand-strategy.
    The difference in design between the two games is quite striking. Ultimate General: Gettysburg is based around one big multi-stage slow-paced battle with endless replayability, whereas the Total War games are based around numerous little fast-paced battles. I'd love to see a Total War: Warhammer mod that makes it play like Ultimate General: Gettysburg. I say mod because I doubt we'll ever see anything like this from CA.
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Lordaeron55's Avatar Foederatus

My List:
    -Campaign map worldwide or at least around the old world
    -Including the Lizardmen
    -Great monsters as a Bastiodont,hydra or dragons
    -Chaos and more Chaos xD

Scarletrose's Avatar Foederatus

I'm extremely disappointed by the limited chioice of factions.

I would like to see the whole spectrum represented.

but most of all the Dark elves (which needs to have a high elves faction or .. how would I be supposed to take back the phoenix crown?)
    and Tilea.
    But really I hope they expand the selection of factions significantly.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletrose View Post
    I'm extremely disappointed by the limited chioice of factions.

I would like to see the whole spectrum represented.

but most of all the Dark elves (which needs to have a high elves faction or .. how would I be supposed to take back the phoenix crown?)
    and Tilea.
    But really I hope they expand the selection of factions significantly.
    Oh trust me we'll be seeing high, dark and wood elves eventually. As I said in another thread if they did all 16 factions in one game it probably wouldn't be out till at least 2020

Default Re: Things you'd like to see/look forward to seeing in the game

A non-retarded AI that needs to cheat to stupid levels to compete.

I've just started playing the beta of Spellweaver TCG. One thing I love about it is that at all times you have access to a button called "Quick Feedback".

Whenever I come up with an idea for improvement, I immediately send it to the developers from within the game. I like the idea so much that if I were to make games, I'd add such a feature to any game I make.

With respect to Total War: Warhammer they could release a demo version with such a feature (presuming they care about player feedback).

Hmm... an intercept mode might be useful. Basically, if you have movement points left over, you could order an army into a stance where they will automatically move in tandem with an enemy army that comes within range in order to try to intercept them before they get to important targets, or at least get close enough to reinforce those targets. This would allow armies to be on standby against unseen threats; you could station a large army in your capital city, but if you have a spy at the approach to one of your other towns and the enemy goes for that instead, your army could immediately march to fight. You could even have a confirmation come up to ensure you do in fact still want to intercept; this prevents the player's army from marching out to take out four units of goblins only to leave the capital open to the three army strong waagh coming down the highway. It would be the one time an army could move during the enemy's turn and if done right could add a new layer of strategy to the game as both side's armies can cover and defend a much larger part of the campaign map, but equally may be lured out of position by a cunning player. (The AI would, however, have to be smart enough to not intercept tiny raiding stacks, and hold back even from intercepting larger stacks if there are even more forces directly threatening something really valuable like the capital).

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Complex View Post
    Hmm... an intercept mode might be useful. Basically, if you have movement points left over, you could order an army into a stance where they will automatically move in tandem with an enemy army that comes within range in order to try to intercept them before they get to important targets, or at least get close enough to reinforce those targets. This would allow armies to be on standby against unseen threats; you could station a large army in your capital city, but if you have a spy at the approach to one of your other towns and the enemy goes for that instead, your army could immediately march to fight. You could even have a confirmation come up to ensure you do in fact still want to intercept; this prevents the player's army from marching out to take out four units of goblins only to leave the capital open to the three army strong waagh coming down the highway. It would be the one time an army could move during the enemy's turn and if done right could add a new layer of strategy to the game as both side's armies can cover and defend a much larger part of the campaign map, but equally may be lured out of position by a cunning player.
    A brilliant idea, however

(The AI would, however, have to be smart enough to not intercept tiny raiding stacks, and hold back even from intercepting larger stacks if there are even more forces directly threatening something really valuable like the capital).
    I wouldn't trust CA to pull this off in a hundred years.

Ok, I don't know if this has been mentioned somewhere in the last 25 pages, but formation lock upon clicking move is a must. Without having to group my units to do it. I hate groups. In multiplayer I do not want to have to go to the UI and hit formation group, or memorise a hotkey, just to get my units to move in the formation I want them to instead of a random line with my ranged, melee and cavalry units all jumbled amongst each other. Much as there may be occasions where that is a good idea, I want to plan it first.

I have no idea why this was removed after Medieval II.
    Last edited by Napoleon Complex; November 07, 2015 at 03:12 AM.

1. Use the lore! It's different from Medieval times and if they manage to properly capture the unique personalities of each different race and their culture both with dialogue and events as well as game mechanics, it'll be more than half way to being the great game I know it can be.

2. Obviously makes the battles good and interesting.

3. Don't use DLC excessively (this is discussed everywhere else so I'll leave it at that).

4. Allow for us to use any of the factions across the whole map by the end of the trilogy so that each of the trilogy serves as like a jigsaw piece/further expansion adding to its predecessor(s).

5. Really try to work on each races internal politics. Orcs and the Empire rarely chat but the Emperor has about a dozen provinces to keep happy along with other factions like the mages and engineers. I wasn't really a fan of the politics in RTW2. It seemed irrelevant to me. It'll be more important in this game as diplomacy among races is less important.

I can't really think of anything else. The first point is crucial. I don't mind there only being 4 races if they are truly unique. More unique from each other than there has been in any TW game so far which sounds like an unreasonable request but given the new fantasy universe it's not really.

More units under my control.