Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer Total War Map

Default Warhammer Total War Map

How big should the map be? Should it only focus on the Empire and the Chaos Hordes(Empire, Kislev, Northern Wastes and Bretonnia) or should it include all of the Old World(all mentioned before as well as Norsca, Estalia and Tilea) or even further and include the Darklands(Chaos Dwarf lands) and Araby(which could also include the Araby Crusade).
    http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...mmer_World.jpg

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Warhammer Total War Map

No idea. I doubt they represent the whole world in the first version (maybe when they add more factions, like lizardmen, high/dark elves, etc. they might expand west). My take is that the first game will have the Old World with the usual Empire, Bretonnia, Chaos, Orks, Silvan Elves, Undead, Skaven, etc.

I just hope they get rid of the ridiculous, real world names.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskin View Post
    How big should the map be? Should it only focus on the Empire and the Chaos Hordes(Empire, Kislev, Northern Wastes and Bretonnia) or should it include all of the Old World(all mentioned before as well as Norsca, Estalia and Tilea) or even further and include the Darklands(Chaos Dwarf lands) and Araby(which could also include the Araby Crusade).
    http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...mmer_World.jpg

How on earth could they have the Chaos Wastes and the Empire but not Norsca? Norsca is directly between the Empire and the Chaos Wastes.

Also, HigoChumbo I doubt they'll get rid of the real world names, as many of them are too far ingrained in Warhammer canon. I'm mean, they'd have have to rename Marienburg.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I hope you understand that if I see a popup telling me that a band of orks has raided any of the following places I will be instantly out of immersion:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sitges:

Essen:

Ubrique:

Bilbali (obvious Bilbao):

Bordeleux (obvious Bordeaux):

Rochefort:

I mean, I can get Bordeleux and Bilbali... but the rest are absolutelly lazy and uninspired.

The Warhammer world is freaking huge, twice as big as our world or something.

Guidrion's Avatar Miles

After hearing years of complains about drifting too far off reality, CA will now hear years of complains about not drifting enough from reality.

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    The Warhammer world is freaking huge, twice as big as our world or something.
    Really... I was under the impression that it was about the size of Earth...

I would say that this would be a good map for the Old Word

Goes all the way down to the Tomb Kings, and I think it's far enough East for Ogre Kingdoms
    Last edited by Theedge634; January 23, 2015 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theedge634 View Post
    Really... I was under the impression that it was about the size of Earth...

I would say that this would be a good map for the Old Word

Goes all the way down to the Tomb Kings, and I think it's far enough East for Ogre Kingdoms
    Not sure but that's what i remember, i dont think GW have ever said how big the world really is. But when you read about some places they sound huge, like the chaos wastes is said to be a impossibly vast area of land, and Norsca, Norsca is, for the most part, a frozen wasteland bereft of all trappings of civilization, albeit one that could fit the entirety of the Empire into it several times over. so could be that the landmass is just bigger over all then our world.

Also here is two very good maps
    http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow-full.html
    http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; January 23, 2015 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Not sure but that's what i remember, i dont think GW have ever said how big the world really is.
    Either way... I think
    This map.. would be about he size of Empire's Europe.. maybe a bit larger.. I would cut off some of the excess Araby stuff and go just far enough south to add in the Tomb Kings, and cut off some of the East, with just enough room to add the Ogre Kingdoms.

and This for the New World w/Ulthuan, probably being around the same size as the Europe map, but probably a bit smaller, cutting off large chunks of the West and a good amount of the North.

I think the map is totally doable.. but they might leave out the New World and add it in as a DLC pack
    Last edited by Theedge634; January 23, 2015 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    I hope you understand that if I see a popup telling me that a band of orks has raided any of the following places I will be instantly out of immersion:

Sitges:

Essen:

Ubrique:

Bilbali (obvious Bilbao):

Bordeleux (obvious Bordeaux):

Rochefort:

I mean, I can get Bordeleux and Bilbali... but the rest are absolutelly lazy and uninspired.
    All the bad translations and faux European languages are half the appeal of Warhammer though. I get that it's disconcerting to you, but if you remove all the place names with real world versions, you'd get rid of some of the most famous locations in the old world. Hell, there's 10 cities in our world named "Altdorf."

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illathid View Post
    All the bad translations and faux European languages are half the appeal of Warhammer though. I get that it's disconcerting to you, but if you remove all the place names with real world versions, you'd get rid of some of the most famous locations in the old world. Hell, there's 10 cities in our world named "Altdorf."
    Yeah, I'm all for the "alternative history" thing... but just so you get the idea... just imagine that some towns where named after real towns whose fame come EXCLUSIVELY from the fact that are the birthplace of a participant of Jersey Shore...

I can get places like Carcasonne or Alençon, which even today are known mostly for their medieval architecture, but some others just go too far.

Imagine if the elves had towns like Cleveland or Miami... and that in real life those places were mostly known for some embarrasing junk TV celebrity and you will start getting how I feel.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; January 23, 2015 at 11:15 PM.

Yeah, I'm all for the "alternative history" thing... but just so you get the idea... just imagine that some towns where named after real towns whose fame come EXCLUSIVELY from the fact that are the birtplace of a parciticpant of Jersey Shore...

I can get places like Carcasonne or Alençon, which even today are know mostly for their medieval architecture, but some others just go too far.

Imagine if the elves had towns like Cleveland or Miami... and that in real life those places were mostly know for some embarrasing junk TV celebrity and you will start getting how I feel.
    I'd find that hilarious. IMHO Warhammer above all is a black comedy (sometimes it isn't even all that black, Bretonnia is filled with Monty Python and the Holy Grail references). And actually IIRC there's a few places in Naggaroth that take their names from American cities.

Yeah, I'm all for the "alternative history" thing... but just so you get the idea... just imagine that some towns where named after real towns whose fame come EXCLUSIVELY from the fact that are the birthplace of a participant of Jersey Shore...

I can get places like Carcasonne or Alençon, which even today are known mostly for their medieval architecture, but some others just go too far.

Imagine if the elves had towns like Cleveland or Miami... and that in real life those places were mostly known for some embarrasing junk TV celebrity and you will start getting how I feel.
    Stop being ridiculous. The names of the regions and provinces have been that for years and years. Just because you don't personally like them because YOU associate them with something (they're in a TV show? Well lets never play GTA Liberty City because New York was in a few films/TV shows! Or lets never call our characters Edward or John because that's the names of Jedward, so that instead of having King John fighting Robin Hood, we have King Hugh instead) that they're not?

Lets get rid of Altdorf, because it clearly only means Old Village, or Drakwald because it means alternatively Dragon Forest or an intentional mispelling of Dark for Dark forest... Warhammer has forever been cheesy names - Lord Kroak - dead frog, croaked... no? This is part of the character and because you're only capable of ignoring Not!Russia and Not!Germany and Not!Holland and Not!France and Not!Japan and Not!China and Not!Rome and Not!Greece, and Not!Egypt while calling for others to be changed is simply hypocritical.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

How do you know its even going to have a campaign map?

I mean you all think its going to be a Total War game of old with similar mechanics just fitted for this lore, but I don't see why you're so confident. Sure it has Total War in it's name, but so does "Total War: Arena".

Seems there is the possibility of disappointment to be working out the details for something you don't even know exists yet.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    How do you know its even going to have a campaign map?

I mean you all think its going to be a Total War game of old with similar mechanics just fitted for this lore, but I don't see why you're so confident. Sure it has Total War in it's name, but so does "Total War: Arena".

Seems there is the possibility of disappointment to be working out the details for something you don't even know exists yet.
    We don't.. but I doubt you make a statement like this, “We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.” Then call your game Total War: Warhammer... just to half-ass a game. I mean anything is possible, but I don't really think it's probable.

Quote Originally Posted by Theedge634 View Post
    We don't.. but I doubt you make a statement like this, “We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.” Then call your game Total War: Warhammer... just to half-ass a game. I mean anything is possible, but I don't really think it's probable.
    While true... I think people want Warhammer TW for battles and not grand campaign strategy which I am unsure if they'll be enough fight-able factions that'll either be steam-rolled by some players or some players just being smashed easily.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Horus View Post
    Stop being ridiculous. The names of the regions and provinces have been that for years and years. Just because you don't personally like them because YOU associate them with something (they're in a TV show? Well lets never play GTA Liberty City because New York was in a few films/TV shows! Or lets never call our characters Edward or John because that's the names of Jedward, so that instead of having King John fighting Robin Hood, we have King Hugh instead) that they're not?

Lets get rid of Altdorf, because it clearly only means Old Village, or Drakwald because it means alternatively Dragon Forest or an intentional mispelling of Dark for Dark forest... Warhammer has forever been cheesy names - Lord Kroak - dead frog, croaked... no? This is part of the character and because you're only capable of ignoring Not!Russia and Not!Germany and Not!Holland and Not!France and Not!Japan and Not!China and Not!Rome and Not!Greece, and Not!Egypt while calling for others to be changed is simply hypocritical.
    Your post is demagogic to no end, so excuse me if I don't bother.

Of course it's my own personal opinion, I never pretended otherwise. (By the way you've got it quite wrong. I've nothing against the usage of real world languages as a base. I have nothing against Altdorf -a really generic german name- but I would find find Berlin, Merkelberg or Kateperryburg quite out of place)
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; January 26, 2015 at 06:13 AM.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Gimme my Tomb Kings and we can still be friends CA.

If this demand is not met you can expect minor vandalism in the form of scarab beetles being painted on ALL of your mailboxes. You have one day.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerman View Post
    While true... I think people want Warhammer TW for battles and not grand campaign strategy which I am unsure if they'll be enough fight-able factions that'll either be steam-rolled by some players or some players just being smashed easily.
    So they can start with a smaller map, with 5 or 6 factions.. and then bleed us dry with DLC that increases map size and faction count. Sounds like a fairly easy way for CA to make a bunch of money, and sure many will whine and moan about it, and they'll shed tears while they pay up. But we all know that Warhammer is a DLC goldmine.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Gimme my Tomb Kings and we can still be friends CA.

If this demand is not met you can expect minor vandalism in the form of scarab beetles being painted on ALL of your mailboxes. You have one day.
    That is my wish as well, but my primary faction is the only one Vampire Counts, never presented anywhere, same as Tomb Kings or Bretonnia. I also hope they will include lage creatures because I can't imagine battle without Varghulf or Terrorgheist

Bonus: Concept Art of Drakenhof Castle

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast