Thread: Is it possible to download data files separately?

Default Is it possible to download data files separately?

I am not sure if I want to install this mod yet, but I'd like to see certain files to see how you guys resolved the problems that I've found in vanilla and SS. In particular, I'd like to see the campaign script file (to see how you balance the AI without a money script) and the campaign strategy file (to see how you try to balance historically accurate city population without boosting those factions that possess huge cities too much).

So if I only want to see those two files (and perhaps a few others), what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Senator

Default Re: Is it possible to download data files separately?

Quote Originally Posted by lampros69 View Post
    I am not sure if I want to install this mod yet, but I'd like to see certain files to see how you guys resolved the problems that I've found in vanilla and SS. In particular, I'd like to see the campaign script file (to see how you balance the AI without a money script) and the campaign strategy file (to see how you try to balance historically accurate city population without boosting those factions that possess huge cities too much).

So if I only want to see those two files (and perhaps a few others), what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance.
    Just download the mod to a separate folder without installing it to Medieval II, and trawl through the data/descr_x files to pick out what you want.

Why you can't just install the mod and play it for a bit to see if you like it is beyond me. I think it's the best Medieval II mod out there (that remains loyal to the vanilla game, so not counting TATW etc).

i uploaded one of them
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/cfwp7u
    i don't know where the campaign strategy file is i never messed with it...

anyway it's a extremely balanced mod, factions don't stay dead for long, they reemerge very often
    i dare to say it's most balanced mod ever, do not worry about massive boosts except for the mongols

edit: i can't upload to twc, theres always some error
    Last edited by anonimo272; February 06, 2015 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post

Why you can't just install the mod and play it for a bit to see if you like it is beyond me. I think it's the best Medieval II mod out there (that remains loyal to the vanilla game, so not counting TATW etc).
    Two reasons:

First, I am technically incompetent - and not just with computers but with anything electronics-related. For instance, it took me literally an entire day to figure out how to install and run SS initially, and that was my first foray into installing mods. Further, some things still do not seem right (or I have to start the game in a different way than the direction mandates). So given that the Steam set-up is a bit clunkier than others, I am afraid that I will not only not install it correctly, but foul up the current SS installation in the process. What can I say? Some people are just really bad at certain things - just like some people are really good at certain things. (It took me several years to learn how to operate a VCR to record in my teens - it's a big joke among friends.)

Second, if I like SSHIP enough after playing it, I am afraid that I will mod it in an extensive fashion as I have done with SS - which means another several weeks of essentially coding, frustration, and no real play. So I want a break from modding

Quote Originally Posted by anonimo272 View Post
    i uploaded one of them
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/cfwp7u
    i don't know where the campaign strategy file is i never messed with it...

anyway it's a extremely balanced mod, factions don't stay dead for long, they reemerge very often
    i dare to say it's most balanced mod ever, do not worry about massive boosts except for the mongols

edit: i can't upload to twc, theres always some error
    Thank you so much!

Descr.strat. is in the data/world/maps/campaign/imperial campaign folder on the SS, and I assume it's same for SSHIP.

Senator

SSHIP is basically SS, but 10x better.

It really isn't that complicated to install, either. You just merge the data folder with the existing one. I play via Steam myself.

But if you are really worried, you could just make a blank install of Medieval II and SS, and install SSHIP to that one. So your other SS game isn't messed up or even affected.

Quote Originally Posted by lampros69 View Post
    Thank you so much!

Descr.strat. is in the data/world/maps/campaign/imperial campaign folder on the SS, and I assume it's same for SSHIP.
    oh didn't know it was refered as campaign strategy file ;p
    anyway that one might be modified and i lack a backup for it
    but it shouldn't be too far from the original one

https://www.sendspace.com/file/icncm7

Quote Originally Posted by anonimo272 View Post
    oh didn't know it was refered as campaign strategy file ;p
    anyway that one might be modified and i lack a backup for it
    but it shouldn't be too far from the original one

https://www.sendspace.com/file/icncm7
    You are an amazingly kind person. Thanks!