Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Smiling Hetairoi's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    this warhammer be a great failure of CA only buy warhammer fans,freaks,adolescents and casual gamers,whereby the true total war community must remain quiet.
    True total war community? Are you talking about the guys that are still playing Medieval 1? Since Empire and Rome 2 were both great failures and Attila was only a polished version of Rome 2.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    i liked the world of lord of the rings because there was so many monsters in battles and there are battles like those of the ancient world or mediaval age in terms of tactics and formations,I've seen the video and this is the sheerest nonsense style arcade game full of monsters in a chaos without formations,without strategies.i do not like orcs models,i never liked the style of warhammer mixing concepts, races, gunpowder steel, a true single game for lovers warhammer only.
    i would have preferred the world of Tolkien or CA would have created the era of pike and musked.
    hopefully that CA release all necessary tools for modders usable depth to total war attila and make excelents mods such as the rise of Mordor or other historical mods,soon releasing tools,because for the first time in fifteen years will do the first total war game that I will not buy.
    CA should release all the necessary tools to modify the total attila war by respect for clients who faithfully bought all the games in the serie.
    CA will lose many customers,especially those most loyal customers and veterans.

Dude, Warhammer the board game is built up around formations from the very core of its rules. Its why fans see it as a great fit to Total War series since its essentially Total War on a tabletop. The cinematic trailer was just flavor. Expect to see the regular TW gameplay with a bit more differences between the factions/races. Which will be interesting for a "True" fan of TW gameplay.

A brave new world for us.
    Last edited by Påsan; April 22, 2015 at 05:06 PM.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Just going to mention it to anyone who's interested: CA says Total War: WARHAMMER has been in development for years now.
    Course it has, Warscape is a production line.

First of all, in full disclosure, I never got into Warhammer, Warhammer40K, or the like.

With that said, whatever bit of redemption Attila had grabbed from the fire is lost for me. R2, a game that was decent at best, and at release was blatantly broken, made me wait to pre-order Attila until almost the final week. In the past, I would have pre-ordered in a heartbeat, probably the first day I could. That was how bad R2 was. And then, I picked up Attila, and though it does at times seem like just a fixed R2, I have to say it's a good game. It adds things that R2 didn't have while fixing a good deal of issues (family trees, skill trees, sea-sickness to discourage using armies as navies, etc.). And then, well, this. It's been two months. Two months since Attila released.

Announcing a Warhammer game might be thrilling to some, I'm sure it is from what I've already read. And, well, maybe it will be an absolutely wonderful game.

But not one I'll be buying.

Look, it feels to me like being fooled a second time. R2 is still on my mind even now, and before Attila even has a chance to sink in for me, we have news of the Warhammer game. Not like it's a surprise that the next game will be Warhammer, not at all. But quite a surprise that the official announcement is this early. And, icing on the cake, we see Attila already on sale. I'd at least thought it would be another 2 months for Attila to be on a slight summer-sale on Steam. But I thought it'd have been another 4-6 months since we'd have the Warhammer announcement.

Shame on me.

Edit: IIRC, note that once Attila was announced, all R2 got was the terri-bad Wrath of Sparta, a DLC that was beyond pointless. Hence, if the pattern continues, Attila is probably not going to see a ton of DLC at this point. Which explains the mad rush to have Vikings, Longbeards, Celts, and Gore DLCs all out in the first 2 months after release.

Again, all I can say is: shame on me.
    Last edited by AnonMilwaukean; April 22, 2015 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookah Smoking Caterpiller View Post
    Orcs of that period wouldn't ride boars like that.

Priests of Sigmar wouldn't wear robes like that until the reformation.

Do you even do any research CA?

Just making up history like usual!
    That's kinda Ironic, CA making up History in regards to made up history.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
    Yesterday i was holding on to the hope that Bretonnia would be a playable faction as i love that faction from Warhammer novels. Now i am sad that they won't be a faction in the game. That's a bummer!
    Will said 4 races, each race will have a historical Hero leading a faction, I don't see why Bretonnia wont be included in that one "Empire of man" race, bare in mind the Race is called The Empire of Man so I don't believe the are just referring to "The Empire" ruled by Karl Franz but rather the "Empire" is on of the faction in the Empire of Man RACE alongside Bretonnia, this is just my view of the matter, I might be totally wrong.

PS: To all the people complaining about the game have 4 factions, its 4 RACES with multiple factions each, I think CA shouldn't designed it hat way in my opinion and should have just went with good old fashioned factions as its obvious many of the totalwar fan base wont even register the word race in their mind.
    Last edited by kanzy; April 22, 2015 at 05:46 PM.

Since this is a trilogy, I take it the other factions will be introduced in the next two?

Isn't it obvious why there are only 4 races? Huge DLC potential.

This is a perfect business move from CA - tap into the existing fandom of another franchise, then drip-feed them content which they'll eat up because they already have their favourite races etc. I'm not a Warhammer fan - but I can assure anyone who is, that this will not be a loving recreation of the Warhammer universe. This game will cynically milk your franchise for superficially new content, squeeze it into an engine that's already proved itself unfit for purpose, and withold the content they know you really want so that they can further extort you for it.

The cynicism becomes more transparent by the game. But I suppose this is just what a series has to become to survive in the current market as a strategy game.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post
    Course it has, Warscape is a production line.
    Yes, of course it is With CA at this present time, busy bolting elves and dragons on to it. Lets hope the wheels don't fall off as they did with R2TW.
    Ok, so Warscape is a subsystem of the TW3 Engine that deals with graphics rendering, so what you see graphically on the battlefield. Yes, it is iterated on alongside the rest of the TW3 Engine and the latest version is a part of the technology behind Total War: WARHAMMER.
    Last edited by caratacus; April 22, 2015 at 08:12 PM.

Libertus

I am looking forward to Warhammer very, very much for 2 main reasons.

1. Warhammer just fits with the Total War style. It seems it will integrate perfectly with it, with the lore, the armies, etc.

2. I am hoping the people that continue to complain, and call foul on every single minute detail, whine about historical accuracy, and generally do nothing but will move on to something else once and for all.

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

To me, the important questions are is this still a total war game? I mean flying units, super magic, giant monsters... seems it will need alot of new thinking regarding game mechanics. And, if so, can this be implemented in to the "historical" series - the flying part that is
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Quote Originally Posted by Will CA View Post
    As this isn’t just a CA game, regretfully there are no plans to support modding for Total War: Warhammer. An Assembly Kit is will be available very shortly for Total War: ATTILA however, and we will continue to support modding for that title and plan to for future historical Total Wars.

-Will CA

See you again when Ca will be back to make historical games dear Will, my best wishes for this new adventure

I feel something is broken; the enchantment that was entwining me to this series was the historical background, who knows, this can be my limit, but it's the first time I don't feel excited for a CA annoucement.

Glad for the people happy for this.

For me it's a good chance for some retro-gaming and push forward on modding for Attila, then I'm done with modding (positive experience indeed!)

All the best

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

It will combine with two further standalone instalments and additional content packs to create the single largest Total War experience ever.
    Okay, so I haven't read the last ten pages. But this. This right here, CA, is why I no longer buy your products. The constant iteration on standalones that don't affect previous entries is plain stupid. It's not even the DLC, I'm perfectly willing to pay money for good DLC. How awesome could Rome 2 have been if they had even spent 18 months developing improvement DLC for it? Made it an actual great game. But no, they rushed off and made tons of small campaign maps that didn't do anything, and then a standalone with improvements that could have been sold into Rome 2. Made it a product worth buying.

So now the Elves and Lizardmen are going to be in a separate campaign? What idiocy is this? They could have built the entirety of the Warhammer world in their game, but they seem intent on making it small and separate.

Paradox has a much better model. They continue to expand on their base game years after the fact and make it better. It ultimately makes for a much better game. That doesn't even get into how easy it is to get into Paradox modding.

So yeah, as a person who bought all the TWs up to Shogun 2, and I love Shogun 2, I am very disappointed in how this has gone.

Rant over. I just wanted to get that off my chest.
    Last edited by DarkArk; April 22, 2015 at 06:33 PM.

Gonxas's Avatar Decanus

Warhammer???? Why CA why?

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by kanzy View Post
    ...I don't see why Bretonnia wont be included in that one "Empire of man" race, bare in mind the Race is called The Empire of Man so I don't believe the are just referring to "The Empire" ruled by Karl Franz but rather the "Empire" is on of the faction in the Empire of Man RACE alongside Bretonnia, this is just my view of the matter, I might be totally wrong.

I hope you are wrong cause it would be lazy and lame to have both the Empire with all its diversity and uniqueness paired with Brettonia. It makes no sense. Id rather pay for a Brettonia DLC later than have them included in such a lazy way.

I feel like the guys on the team for this game should play Call Of Warhammer:Rage Of The Dark Gods and hold it up as a comparison, if a few Russian guys can make a mod for free and make it as amazing and diverse as Rage of The Dark Gods using there own engine, a company that charges 50+ dollars for a game should keep that in mind. It sets an almost unique precedent,
    But the setup is sound, the total war build is perfect for this setting, the all encompassing kingdom management is so perfect for the varied forms of "Government" present in the Warhammer universe, along with, lets not forget huge massive gigantic thousands on thousands battles.

In short, if a few passionate Russians can make a bad ass Warhammer game, CA should damn well be able to make a better one.
    -Cautiously Optimistic-

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArk View Post
    Okay, so I haven't read the last ten pages. But this. This right here, CA, is why I no longer buy your products. The constant iteration on standalones that don't affect previous entries is plain stupid. It's not even the DLC, I'm perfectly willing to pay money for good DLC. How awesome could Rome 2 have been if they had even spent 18 months developing improvement DLC for it? Made it an actual great game. But no, they rushed off and made tons of small campaign maps that didn't do anything, and then a standalone with improvements that could have been sold into Rome 2. Made it a product worth buying.

So now the Elves and Lizardmen are going to be in a separate campaign? What idiocy is this? They could have built the entirety of the Warhammer world in their game, but they seem intent on making it small and separate.

Paradox has a much better model. They continue to expand on their base game years after the fact and make it better. It ultimately makes for a much better game. That doesn't even get into how easy it is to get into Paradox modding.

So yeah, as a person who bought all the TWs up to Shogun 2, and I love Shogun 2, I am very disappointed in how this has gone.

Rant over. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

What? It says, "It will combine with two standalone installments to form the single largest Total War experience ever."

This, to me, sounds like the standalone installments are not games, but expansion packs onto the base grand campaign. If true, that would be utterly amazing.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Does anybody remember the guy who came on here before Shogun II was announced and claimed that he had inside information which stated the next Total War would be sold as two separate games, one as Rome and one as China and they would combine to make a single huge campaign with a continuous map?

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    What? It says, "It will combine with two standalone installments to form the single largest Total War experience ever."
    If this somehow worked like that and actually did it without falling apart, with ALL the necessary races and all the correct detail and depth for all races, it might actually restore my faith in CA.

I highly doubt it though.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I think the limited race selection is a direct consequence of the work needed to put into each race in Warhammer. Even the two most similar factions like High Elves and Dark Elves or Empire and Bretonnia would still be leagues more different than the Sassanids and the Saxons were different in Attila. It obviously comes with a lot more work. Not to mention some of the wierd races like Lizardmen or Skaven.

DeValiere's Avatar Biarchus
    Not sure, but there's gravity so that's a good start...

Firstly, glad to see TWC hasn't imploded at the news of TW Warhammer. Thought I might have found a smouldering shell of a forum post-announcement.

I have no experience with Warhammer, but enjoy RPG / Fantasy based games as a rule so the idea of a TW Warhammer game is intriguing to me. While I never specifically wanted a WH based TW game, I've often thought a fantasy based TW game would scratch a lot of my itches. As always, I find it pointless for the most part to specualte on details etc at such an early stage - there's so little to go on just now that it's a fruitless endeavour.

Will clearly states that the Warhammer game is being developed by a dedicated team, so I'm sure we'll see another historical TW game sooner rather than later and as others have said - perhaps some of what is tried in the WH game may assist in allowing the historical games to delve into WWI era or some such (flying units). It will be interesting to see how they do that actually. There are obviously differing opnions here at TWC about the WH game and for those who mostly play TW games and little else I can appreciate how it must feel. For many of us however, we're not just TW players. For my part, I got into gaming mainly through TW and then broadened my horizons, although other than maybe Skyrim and EUIII/IV can't think of any games that have absorbed as many hours of my time as my beloved TW games, S2TW in particular, and ETW flawed tho it is. I consider myself a hardcore TW fan, and a hardcore History fan too, but I'm still looking forward to a fresh take on TW in the form of Warhammer.

Finally, the debate about DLC has been done to death, but I'm sure it will continue to be resurrected ad infinitum. Am I a DLC fan? No. I'm not. If you make a game, historical or fantasy based and are asking $50+ for it then you should offer a finished product for that price - not something that's incomplete and needs many more $$$ in DLC to make it so. I don't have a problem with ongoing developement of a game where genuine additions to the scope and mechanics of the game are added by DLC and thus extend it's replayability but that shouldn't included units and standard factions - ever. Will we continue to see unit and faction based DLC from CA? Of course we will. It's bringing in money for them, so why would they ever change that business model? Like I always say, the real world sucks. I suppose I could say something about killing the goose that lays the golden egg, but I don't think anyone at CA would understand - or worse still they may add a killer goose DLC to the new Warhammer game that shoots golden eggs out its... um, nevermind.

Overall, thumbs up for Warhammer TW as long as CA actually doesn't balls it up again by realeasing a day 1 alpha version of the game. I'll be happy playing as dwarves - I love their beards man - cool.
    Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. ..And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"-- with his mouth.
    Mark Twain - What Is Man?

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

If this somehow worked like that and actually did it without falling apart, with ALL the necessary races and all the correct detail and depth for all races, it might actually restore my faith in CA.

I highly doubt it though.
    Agreed. If this is what it means I'll eat my words and buy it immediately. Warhammer Total War has far too much potential for it to be divided up from each other. It could mean that we can only play as certain factions if we own their appropriate expansion., like Dawn of War. I pray this is the case.

Sadly given previous CA business practices I doubt it.

I think the limited race selection is a direct consequence of the work needed to put into each race in Warhammer. Even the two most similar factions like High Elves and Dark Elves or Empire and Bretonnia would still be leagues more different than the Sassanids and the Saxons were different in Attila. It obviously comes with a lot more work. Not to mention some of the wierd races like Lizardmen or Skaven.
    You see, I get that. I'm perfectly willing to pay for it. It already looks like we're getting a good solid core of the Old World races. I just don't want all of the features they could put in the game divided up into different campaigns, because that's what they've done.

Also this game needs naval battles. I want my Dwarven ironclads and submarines dammit!
    Last edited by DarkArk; April 22, 2015 at 09:29 PM.