Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647

Thread: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Nop. They just said it's going to be "huge".
    Sounds bigger than R2 or Attila. Good news. Thanks for the feedback.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Sounds bigger than R2 or Attila. Good news. Thanks for the feedback.
    Well... they implied that R2 was going to be huge as well, and look how it turned out.

In any case, I think in this case it's not too crazy to expect that the next (non-Warhammer) game will be indeed a major leap forward in the sense of Rome1 or Empire, given how long they have used the current engine (since 2009) and that they are going to have more time to develop something bigger due to Warhammer being a trilogy.. I believe they said somewhere that it would not be a third part (so no shogun, medieval or rome), although I can't find the source, so don't take that for granted. They might take advantage of the WWI centenary and go crazy with that, although my personal favourite would be a Pike&Shot game.

Yeah I recall something about not making a med III, but that doesn't mean they can't make a game somewere in that time period as med 2 did span quite a long timeframe with just melee/archers/javs to and including pike and shot event.

So they could make a game were it's mostly still melee/archers etc but at the beginning were gun powder is bieing used ( think of the wooden cannons with some iron/metal rings on them what ranged from 10-30% exploding just in your face instead of the enemy face ) and other early cannons guns till pike and shot.

And yeah they need a new engine, total war engine 3 is getting old they did update it quite a bit also 64 bit but dx12 can never be fully implented in old engines. You need to build your engine from the ground up to fully use it and without weird errors and even sometime's dropping performance. For now it sometime's still more just cost effective to implement the lower stuff of dx12 into your existing engine but the more you want to use dx12 the more cost effective it will be to build a new engine from the ground up.

But ofcourse depends on how old your engine is and the farther we go in comparising the cost will be lower as it will mean a better working and looking game on the highest end tech but also lower tech so good for marketing to.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Well... they implied that R2 was going to be huge as well, and look how it turned out.
    You think R2 turned out a disappointment in size (compared to the previous titles)? I think not. Quality-wise, however, you're absolutely right.

Now, whatever CA is shipping and patching up later, its standard may not be the one that actually counts in the long run. Naturally, for more than one reason, it cannot be too bad from the start etc. But what I mean is that if it allows the least bit of modding, the modding community decides the final state of the game and its playability. And if the modding space is pretty roomy, then an officially finished game of fairly good standard can be elevated to a superb one, as Hellenika for R2 WoS is the latest prime example of. This is my main hope for future historical TW titles.

In any case, I think in this case it's not too crazy to expect that the next (non-Warhammer) game will be indeed a major leap forward in the sense of Rome1 or Empire, given how long they have used the current engine (since 2009) and that they are going to have more time to develop something bigger due to Warhammer being a trilogy.. I believe they said somewhere that it would not be a third part (so no shogun, medieval or rome), although I can't find the source, so don't take that for granted. They might take advantage of the WWI centenary and go crazy with that, although my personal favourite would be a Pike&Shot game.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrypticTerror View Post
    Yeah I recall something about not making a med III, but that doesn't mean they can't make a game somewere in that time period as med 2 did span quite a long timeframe with just melee/archers/javs to and including pike and shot event.

So they could make a game were it's mostly still melee/archers etc but at the beginning were gun powder is bieing used ( think of the wooden cannons with some iron/metal rings on them what ranged from 10-30% exploding just in your face instead of the enemy face ) and other early cannons guns till pike and shot.

And yeah they need a new engine, total war engine 3 is getting old they did update it quite a bit also 64 bit but dx12 can never be fully implented in old engines. You need to build your engine from the ground up to fully use it and without weird errors and even sometime's dropping performance. For now it sometime's still more just cost effective to implement the lower stuff of dx12 into your existing engine but the more you want to use dx12 the more cost effective it will be to build a new engine from the ground up.

But ofcourse depends on how old your engine is and the farther we go in comparising the cost will be lower as it will mean a better working and looking game on the highest end tech but also lower tech so good for marketing to.
    I agree, a developer decision against a third variant of an old historical scope does not rule out producing a part thereof in greater detail with great success. I can think of a number of interesting alternatives here, especially if based on a new engine. But this is perhaps not the right thread to talk about that. So if anyone has a suggestion where a discussion of that nature should take place, I might head over and make some contributions, if I find myself in the mood.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 26, 2016 at 05:17 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Right now it's top seller on steam.. but i don't see so much hype here.

I'm VERY exited for this, beacause i love both franchises, and it's a dream that comes true.

Is it confirmed that it will not be moddable???

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Steeb_ View Post
    Right now it's top seller on steam.. but i don't see so much hype here.

I'm VERY exited for this, beacause i love both franchises, and it's a dream that comes true.

if you mean that the files will be locked not that I know of no
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Valentin-Daruvar's Avatar Laetus
    Croatia, Netherlands, Swtizerland.. Choose :)

This game will be so unbalanced.. I can feel it...
    But I like it and will preorder it.. Just to kick ass of non humans

Quote Originally Posted by Steeb_ View Post
    If it true, it'll be big mistake. Mods are making game alive for years.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rastomen View Post
    If it true, it'll be big mistake. Mods are making game alive for years.
    Modding support has been official confirmed.

Rejoice.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Since we 've been assured when we (the fans of total war series that we are fans because of its historical character) protested about total war turning into something completely different that is a fantasy series, that warhammer is a different game from the typical total war, why its being thrown in here placed above the historical total war titles as if it is a continuation of the same series?
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Megasalexandros View Post
    Since we 've been assured when we (the fans of total war series that we are fans because of its historical character) protested about total war turning into something completely different that is a fantasy series, that warhammer is a different game from the typical total war, why its being thrown in here placed above the historical total war titles as if it is a continuation of the same series?
    What do you mean? The major TW games are on the forum in respect to release order. Where else are they going top put it?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Its chronological. Not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    What do you mean? The major TW games are on the forum in respect to release order. Where else are they going top put it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Its chronological. Not going to change.
    yes but what both of you are saying is that Warhammer is just a continuation of the same series and not something different that only uses the style of total war

yes but what both of you are saying is that Warhammer is just a continuation of the same series and not something different that only uses the style of total war
    Well, it's a Total War game... so yeah. It's not called Total Historical War or Mostly Historical Total War, so why would Warhammer TW be treated differently?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Well, it's a Total War game... so yeah. It's not called Total Historical War or Mostly Historical Total War, so why would Warhammer TW be treated differently?
    I get the point, so what the devs siad that warhammer is going to be a different series isnt true , its just another total war that is being treated as the continuation of the series, so it is quite possible that we will see either the complete differantiation of the series turning into a fantasy series, or that we will see a historical title being pushed back a year or more because the devs are developing a warhammer game, is it true that there are 2 different teams that create the warhammer and the "canonical" total war games, or it was just something that was said to calm as who are total war fans because of its historical content?

I get the point, so what the devs siad that warhammer is going to be a different series isnt true , its just another total war that is being treated as the continuation of the series, so it is quite possible that we will see either the complete differantiation of the series turning into a fantasy series, or that we will see a historical title being pushed back a year or more because the devs are developing a warhammer game, is it true that there are 2 different teams that create the warhammer and the "canonical" total war games, or it was just something that was said to calm as who are total war fans because of its historical content?
    Creative Assembly are large enough to produce more than one title at a time. If you don't believe them when they say it won't interfere with the release of 'Historical' titles, then there's not much else to discuss.