Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: UNITS ROSTERS discussion

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: NEW FACTIONS UNITS ROSTERS

That's interesting. I never thought it was possible. That will be useful for further stats adjustments
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

What? There are boni versus cav for every spearmen. Mostly +2 attack, for more professional/later units a bit more.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yup, this line: mount_effect horse +2, camel +2

Blog Entries

I guess that Dekhatres is referring to an finer adjustment depending on the spear type
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    What? There are boni versus cav for every spearmen. Mostly +2 attack, for more professional/later units a bit more.
    is this "mount_effect horse +2, camel +2" you mean ? i've looked more through and there's no any higher than +2, not even units like kievan palace guards have higher so which are those units that have it higher ?

+2 is too low anyway, i think the right number would be around 6-8, it can be higher than 2 right ? i guess i gota put them side by side and compare them to see which is better

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Billmen and some elite halberds (they get as much as +6)

Blog Entries

I think that if you increase them too high it will only give a bonus to the spearmen/pikemen units. I mean it might be too disadvantageous to the cavalry units.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I think that if you increase them too high it will only give a bonus to the spearmen/pikemen units. I mean it might be too disadvantageous to the cavalry units.
    the problem is that cavalry can charge into prepared infantry and get out without a scratch, the spear bonus simply makes frontal cav charges more costly if the infantry is ready for it

EDIT: from the edu info "spear & light_spear = The unit when braced has various protecting mechanisms versus cavalry charges from the front; spear_bonus_x = attack bonus against cavalry. x = 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12"
    Last edited by Dekhatres; February 20, 2016 at 07:17 AM.

Dude.. you where one of the guys proposing the buff to cavalry and armor if I'm correct. What did you expect? Besides that, ofcourse it's not true that cavalry can get out "without a scratch". As soon as the spearmen attack, they get the buff. And professional spearmen which are ready are already pretty good in hurting cavalry in my opinion.

Dude.. you where one of the guys proposing the buff to cavalry and armor if I'm correct. What did you expect? Besides that, ofcourse it's not true that cavalry can get out "without a scratch". As soon as the spearmen attack, they get the buff. And professional spearmen which are ready are already pretty good in hurting cavalry in my opinion.
    i have never said to buff cav, to be precise i actually proposed to buff only the armor and do that by taking points from defense skill, that way the total defense rating remains the same but the unit is more resilient to arrows which was the main issue in previous version

with the increase of overall defense rating cavalry units are once more excelent melee units because they have high melee damage AND defense

as for the spearman the problem is not as big as i thought, after some tests professional units like heavy spearman indeed hold very well against cavalry even on flat terrain, armored sergeants however much worse, they lose about 50-60 men after 1 charge and get destroyed by feudal knights in melee

the options at this point are either give a higher spear bonuses (up to 6-8) to professional spear units or completly curb the melee capabilities of cavalry by reducing their secondary weapon damage, i've personally been playing with cav that has only 1 melee damage (yep all cavalry has 1 melee dmg) for a while and i really like the results, cav dosent die fast but neither does it kill fast so they are only good with charge and that's the only way to make them do damage, and even with only 1 damage they still manage to get kills in melee

on another diferent topic

why are spear units still worse than other infantry ? i mean is the spear sooo bad as an infantry weapon ? why cant spearman attack value match that of swordsmen ? i've seen someone long time ago ask this too, he even said that spears would be better in infantry engagements because of the reach which would allow several soldiers to hit the same target at the same time

Blog Entries

It depends first if you're talking about levies or professional units. Considering the lack of training and of good quality equipment, that's logical for levies. For professional units, I guess it would depend what kind of unit they're facing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    It depends first if you're talking about levies or professional units. Considering the lack of training and of good quality equipment, that's logical for levies. For professional units, I guess it would depend what kind of unit they're facing.
    professional units, for example heavy spearman has only 3 attack, scoutatoi 4, kievan palace guard 4, all while scoutatoi swordsmen has 7, i think it should be a bit more even

ok enouth with talk about balance, MWY is gona burn me at the stake

Haha no I'm fine with proposing changes, they just shouldn't be as radical. Perhaps we can increase the range for spear attack damage to 1-5 and the bonus to 2-4? That should be enough or at least a good start I think.

I think it's worth mentioning that there's a lot of other factors than simply attack and defence values.
    Animations and especially reach is a very important factor. For instance, that's why pikemen can be so strong, despite having a very low attack value: they have a long reach.

The same principle should be true to spearmen; they should have longer reach than a sword or axe, but once the sword/axe get close enough to be in the spearman's face, they have the advantage.
    Given the game engine, I feel the higher attack value for sword/axes makes perfect sense, we just need to make sure the spearmen can have a longer reach.
    I'm not sure how it already is in-game though, but given that we have pikemen, it must be a factor that can be tweaked somehow?
    Last edited by PerXX; February 23, 2016 at 04:25 AM.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Interesting point about reach. I was admiring some Foot Knights of Jerusalem the other day, and their spears seem to be longer than many other units', such as Spear Militia for instance. So I'd be curious to find out if it's based on the model or a stat. Needless to say if it's the model, it's going to take a bit more work. :/

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    I think it's worth mentioning that there's a lot of other factors than simply attack and defence values.
    Animations and especially reach is a very important factor. For instance, that's why pikemen can be so strong, despite having a very low attack value: they have a long reach.

The same principle should be true to spearmen; they should have longer reach than a sword or axe, but once the sword/axe get close enough to be in the spearman's face, they have the advantage.
    Given the game engine, I feel the higher attack value for sword/axes makes perfect sense, we just need to make sure the spearmen can have a longer reach.
    I'm not sure how it already is in-game though, but given that we have pikemen, it must be a factor that can be tweaked somehow?
    yes i also think that a longer reach for spearmen could be a solution, and also is true that a spear(and more byzantines spears) have more reach that a sword or axe, and a compact number of spearmen can hold off enemies...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Haha no I'm fine with proposing changes, they just shouldn't be as radical. Perhaps we can increase the range for spear attack damage to 1-5 and the bonus to 2-4? That should be enough or at least a good start I think.
    yes the exact changes i had in mind were +4 or +6 against horse for professional spear units and change "light_spear" to "spear", imo these arent radical changes, spear militias have +2 against horse and i think it's unfair to pro units to be as good as militias against cav

EDIT: reach is an excelent idea, how to change the reach btw ? which value do i need to change ? is it in the EDU ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    EDIT: reach is an excelent idea, how to change the reach btw ? which value do i need to change ? is it in the EDU ?
    I'm honestly not sure. I don't think it's in the EDU, might be the models themselves.
    My thought was just that, given that pikemen exists, and they have long reach, then it must be possible to edit somehow.

Blog Entries

I might be wrong but could it relevant to the bounding sphere of the mesh model?

For the non-initiated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounding_sphere

or...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Every model has a bounding sphere except stratmap ones. Basically, all what can be used in a battlemap, must have a bounding sphere: siege engines, mounts, soldiers, captains, generals... everybody. And yes, 99,9% of the non-Vanilla models around there have an incorrect one... and this is the result of the bad practice of using comments for new models taken from similar existing models. If you change only one extreme X/Y/Z axis extreme vertex, then you invalidate the bounding sphere since:

Given a non-empty set of points of finite extension in a 3-dimensional space, the bounding sphere for that set is the smallest 3-dimensional solid sphere containing all its points.

Hence, if you take a soldier and you change his weapon from a sword to a pike, you have invalidated the current bounding sphere and he will start behaving in a silly way.

If you want more information about this, I just wrote it down in the Technical Details spoiler of the first post. My tools can acually recalculate (hence, fix) the bounding sphere of a model during the conversion from MS3D to MESH. So basically, if you convert a MESH to MS3D and then convert the resulting MS3D model into a MESH again without making any change, you will have a fixed bounding sphere. I'm working on a tool that can fix bounding spheres on a large scale (fully recursive directory search) for the upcoming version.

If it's the case, we have to edit all meshes with the tool from Zarathos as it seems that most of them are wrong (according to Zarathos - in bold in the spoiler).

Edit: I might be wrong but before to do that or modify these stats, it might be better to wait until I've implemented all animations (not only the missile units one). I think the way an unit can behave while fighting will also bring some changes.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 23, 2016 at 07:20 AM.