Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Sigmar : first miniatures revealed.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Age of Sigmar : first miniatures revealed.

The Chaos guys look baddass. The Imperial guys look like crap.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Or they're trying to figure out a way to keep using the same molds.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Khorne shall punish this insolence....by quietly taking their skulls from their graves when they die.

Some additional images :

http://40.media.tumblr.com/ef057eefa...t717o1_500.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ee22a5fb0...t717o2_500.jpg

Warhammer 0.4 K

At least I hope that CA will make great game as a tribute to awesome world of Warhammer fb. I never collected miniatures but i really enjoyed reading army books and playing games like Cow mod , Mark of Chaos and Warhammer MMo.

Quote Originally Posted by kelembribor21 View Post
    Some additional images :

http://40.media.tumblr.com/ef057eefa...t717o1_500.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ee22a5fb0...t717o2_500.jpg

Warhammer 0.4 K

At least I hope that CA will make great game as a tribute to awesome world of Warhammer fb. I never collected miniatures but i really enjoyed reading army books and playing games like Cow mod , Mark of Chaos and Warhammer MMo.
    Still crap. Event he logo is utter . Where is my iconic Warhammer logo??? Hate THIS !!! GAHHHH

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Well, still not my cup of tea, but they look definatelly better in those.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymcl View Post
    Event he logo is utter .
    I thought the same. Looks completelly 80s. Wonder what the hell were they smoking.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; June 27, 2015 at 05:25 PM.

These sigmarites (?) look like a bizzarro-goody version of archaon.

Glad that I'm not the only one bothered by the new Sigmar symbol. It doesnt look like something a medieval artist would come up with. Its far too abstract, minimalistish and stylish.

Looks more like the kind of symbols you would see in Warhammer 40k

Is it even ment to be fantasy anymore? Because beside the lack of fire arms none of these designs have the slitest hint of "medieval" or fantasy in 'em.

EDIT

Just noticed the "AGE OF SIGMAR" text logo has a halo on one side and a chaos star on the other; is there any information if other races will be even in it, or if its all just sigmarites vs chaos?
    Last edited by Orkfaeller; June 27, 2015 at 07:18 PM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    [SIZE=2]Just noticed the "AGE OF SIGMAR" text logo has a halo on one side and a chaos star on the other; is there any information if other races will be even in it, or if its all just sigmarites vs chaos?
    I believe the rumour is that you have 6 main factions that join together some of the previous factions. For instance, what I've read is that you'll have Dark Elves, High Elves and Wood Elves in the same faction.

The only ones that I believe have been completelly discarded are the Lizardmen (and the beastmen?).

Those are only rumours though, and I'm speaking from memory, but so far most of what they said has come true (the supermarine humans, the name of the whole thing, round bases, skirmish rules, starter box contents, etc.)

Tiro

These sigmarites (?) look like a bizzarro-goody version of archaon.

Rumors say the logic was something like:
    -Everyone loves Space Marines. Even Space Marines inside a Space Marine.
    -40k has the better sales since years
    -Warriors of Chaos in big chunky armours are widly popular in WHFB
    -On the "good guy" side, there are no big chunky armour troops

So to further sales and bring a similiar faction to the good guys like WoC, which have in the end the Space Marine bonus, lets do SIGMARines.

Just noticed the "AGE OF SIGMAR" text logo has a halo on one side and a chaos star on the other; is there any information if other races will be even in it, or if its all just sigmarites vs chaos?
    Rumors said you can still use all old factions. It is likely that it will only get 6 "faction" books, that mash up some races like Endtimes did. So possibly
    -Undead (Vampire/Khemri/Nagashs undead legion)
    -Warriors of Chaos (Warriors/Daemons/Beastmen) [Skaven?]
    -Elves (High/Dark/Wood)
    -Greenskin (Orcs/Goblins) [Ogre?]
    -Warriors of Order (Empire/Dwarfs/Sigmarines) [Bretons?]

That leaves the questions about Skaven, Ogre, Lizardmen and Bretons. I still think Bretons get absorbed and walk the "Chaos Dwarf" oder "Dogs of War" way. the others, we have to see. Last background rumor was
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Setting
    game is set on world Regalia that is connected with other young realms through portals of the old ones. Young realms are realms that were populated by the old creators and were guided on similar historical paths. They were untouched by chaos but this has changed since the arrival of sigmar (as a new faith) and archaon (as an actual emissary in flesh and blood)

there is no explanation (or just a brief one so that I have missed it) how this all came to be, just a description of the history of Regalia (and to a lesser extent some neighbouring realms)

On Regalia is dominated by hundreds of human kingdoms. Fast travel is possible through a number of stone circles that allows mages to open portal from one to another and a system of streams and seas under the earth that can be navigated by ship. There were a long period of peace curated by the Exoatl (Old Ones) that watched over the world from the North and Southpole. But then suddenly new faiths arrived, lots of human tribes started to pray to Sigmar and to conquer their neighbouring kingdoms. These lands are each independent, but are united in their faith to Sigmar. The history ends with the conquering of the Worlds Edge mountains and the crowning of the first emperor. At the same time, the first
    agents of Chaos arrived and began to corrupt the native people. A part of the Waaghkins rebelled against the old ones in favour of new gods, the Skaven
    arrived the first time, and in the south and east a death cult began to spread. The world is in turmoil. There are lots of unfinished story hooks so I think the story will be continued, but that might be wishful thinking.

humans are the majority in this world and they have kingdom and tribes everywhere, most of the known earth-inspired regions like cathay are there, but they are not described as fully flegded feudal nations but constantly changing petty empires and nomadic people ruled by warlords and champions of the gods. there are two factions of humans, the worshippers of sigmar and the polytheistic rest, both are not monocultural, but have different skin colors and cultures. Women fight beside men!

The dominion of sigmar is special, because they are the only ones that are reluctant to allow any other race than humans. They have only one god and their goal is to destroy all other gods and conquer their domains - for the greater good of the world of course. This has nothing in common with the Empire of the old world, except the heraldry, griffons are still en vogue. All tribes and city states and kingdoms are independent, the only common ground is their faith, the emperor is only a warlord with the purpose to expands the dominion towards the east.
    There a still knightly orders, zealots, witchhunters
    - so they retain some of their medieval flair but there are no state troops. There is no gunpowder, except from some dwarven imports, but they are known for using large warwaggons on their trek to the east. Kislec, Estalia, Araby, city states of Bretonnia, Norse and tribes of the Reiklands are part of the dominion. There are also some enclaves scattered across the world that are connected with magic portals

The Skaven arrived on their own on Regalia and are basically the same. Haven’t spent much time on them. They have now three gods called the triumvi-rat …..

Dawikorr (dwarfs) and Inneadim (elfs) have their own realms that are connected with Regalia. The Inneadim have outposts in America.

Dawikorr are only a legend on Regalia and nobody has seen them, but there are legends that they aid whorshippers of Sigmar in peril. They deliver the dominions of Sigmar with artifacts. They live underneath the world Karak Korr and guard the Soul Mill. Dawikorr have rules, so they can be fielded.

The Soul Mill is a huge machinery that allows minor deities to feed on the power of dead spirits or let them reincarnate or serve them as guardian hosts. It was built by the surviving dwarves of the old world on command of the Incarnates on a older machinery of the old ones. The dwarfs guard the soul mill and are aligned with Sigmar after the shattering of the Incarnates, but are under siege of the skaven that have found their way on this world and managed to steal two mighty souls that formed their new gods.

Inneadim whorship the dreamers, gods that have dreamt themselves, basically the elven gods. They live on their own world and protect the dreamchild. Under Araloth they founded
    enclaves on Regalia in search for the archelves, lost gods of their pantheon. They are a darker take on the elves, nightmare are as much part of their culture then dreams. They use necromancy and the death god Ynnead is at the centre of their pantheon. But they still live in symbiosis with the nature. The artwork shows an elf on a feathered mount, not like a chocobo, but more like a feathered raptor. the artbook shows pictures (and rules) from all existing elf armies.

Skaven and Dawikorr are the only races that use blackpowder, the rest of Regalia is on stuck on an ancient/medieval tech level. The Exoatl use magic techno gear. There is a certain level of anachronistic gear but it is not steampunk but powered by ancient magic. The only steampunk elements are in the Skaven and to a lesser extent the neo-dwarven fluff.

Chaos has no foothold in the north but is anywhere and consists of corrupted tribes and companies from every region of the world. The barbarian theme of the nomadic tribes is more associated with khorne than with chaos as a whole. Beastmen and demons are likely part of their faction because they are described in the same chapter (both in the fluff and unit cards), but demons can be summoned by everyone, so I don’t know for sure. And beastmen have very few pictures, so that’s a bad omen.

Waaghkins: orcs, goblins and are the servants of the old gods and live in a strict caste system, orcs are the manual laborers. There is a new race called nigmos: a tall and slender priest caste. Waaghkins travel the undersea, a system of flooded caverns that connects the whole world, on longboats and do the dirty work for the Exoatl. There is an artwork of the three
    different kinds of greenskins (no squigs and snotlings mentioned): an ork in very strange armour, very front heavy, textured like a symmetric turtle shell, he wields is an axe with multiple disc shape blades, goblin looked like a viking but has a futuristic looking handgun, the third was taller than a ork, female, slender - probably a nigmo. But in the photos of actual miniatures only show the old orc style. There is a subfaction of waaghkins that changed allegiance from the old gods to grimgor incarnate and are much more ferocious than their cousins.

undeads, deamons and spirits, and guardian hosts are used by every faction of the game, necromancy but not summoning is common in the dominion of Sigmar. The Inneadim are famous for their use of animated constructs. These things are not a big taboo in Regalia. However the most fearsome necromancers are (obviously) employed by the Empire of Nehekhara (which is not a desolate wasteland and has no egyptian vibe but is a rich and green country and feels more babylonian to me) and their death gods. But there is no Undead faction per se anymore. Vampires are called Necrarchs now.

Guardians hosts are troops that were granted by a god from another realm or the realm of the dead. They are living beings and have free will, but were brought to Regalia on the command of a deity.

- Lizardmen are not gone. There is a race called Servants of the Exoatl that guard the pole portals on flying pyramids, but no drawings and no fluff page (other races and tribess
    get at least half a page). They get unit cards for their old units (which confirms that they are simply lizardmen with a new name), but instead of beautiful pages with pictures like the rest of the bunch they get a simple list in the appendix of the compendium book.

Beastmen get the same lowkey treatment, but ogres get pictures and all, but I cannot say with which pantheon/faction they align. They are mortal, so you can use them in any the
    guardians of regalia army, but I don’t know if this is a stop gap solution or not.

form DakkaDakka forums, but have no idea who was the leak and cant say how trustworthy or accurate the user was in the last year. So take it with a bag of salt.

Older lore rumor was
    http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/...of-sigmar.html
    but in my opinion both versions are similar bad. I mean, why take a good world with a rich lore, destroy it in a horribly written way and make up some nonsense about a different world (that looks the same with minor changes) where every race is already there or arrives with some magical stargate? If they had wanted to spice things up, they could have used a better written longterm story arc to change something on the old world. And with Nippon, Araby and other large pieces of the old map not used, new factions could have get thrown in the mix to create the so much needed servo armoured Cashcow army. But seems like everyone at GW HQ wants a clean start (without letting really go of the old map or factions) and now we got Age of Sigmar.

-----Red Dox

PonySlaystation's Avatar Tiro

I started with the whfb hobby a few months ago and just completed assembling my DE army (and im freaking loving most of the designs of the models) I picked whfb because 40k wasnt my cup of tea...300 bazillion different types of space marines in the end looking the same with just a few differences (colour, emblems, a few details)

Now we get space marines in fantasy. Great...gonna skip that and just stay with the 8th edition my TT Club is also staying with "oldhammer". There is still much stuff to do...skavens, tomb kings etc

Im already expecting the 40k helm designs of the eldar for the upcoming AoS elf release...

Last edited by PonySlaystation; June 28, 2015 at 01:45 AM.
    Ferrum Noricum

TEAM SKAVEN
    TEAM DARK ELVES
    TEAM TOMB KINGS

Good old Magnus got it right: 3 things make the empire great - Faith, steel and gunpowder. Not winged SPOOSS MAHROONS in bronze armour.

Funny you say sigmarines look like archaon, for as far as i know he's alive and in their ranks. There is no God but Sigmar and Archaon is his herald.

This is absolutely terrible design. What the F is this? What were they thinking, never liked 40k.. games were good (Dawn of War), but this stupid design is here again, oversized armors and way too much fantasy.. this is why I like original WH it still has somewhat historical look and monsters are well designed... definitely one of my fav., just like Witcher.. fantasy universe with pretty much 1:1 high medieval clothing, armours, weapons and cities.

Ahh yes I remember this also happened to Heroes of Might and Magic... HoMM V was way too colourful and cartoonish.
    Last edited by englisharcher89; June 28, 2015 at 04:35 AM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I like them. They inexplicably remind me of Dark Souls.

The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

^
    ^
    Well, I can predict, that a lot of 40k players will pick 'em up to convert them into custodes.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dox
    -Undead (Vampire/Khemri/Nagashs undead legion)
    -Warriors of Chaos (Warriors/Daemons/Beastmen) [Skaven?]
    -Elves (High/Dark/Wood)
    -Greenskin (Orcs/Goblins) [Ogre?]
    -Warriors of Order (Empire/Dwarfs/Sigmarines) [Bretons?]
    I seem to recall that the skaven were one of the 6 main factions and that they were pretty much unchanged. Also that the ogres might be part of the human faction.

In Warhammer 8th edition, we had 15 different factions. It's been confirmed that we will get only six factions in Age of Sigmar. However, only five of those six nex factions have been clearly identified as far as I know.

So far, these factions are:

• the human faction (a mix of the Empire, the dwarves, possibly also Bretonnia)
    • the Chaos faction (a mix of the chaos demons, warriors and beastmen)
    • the elven faction (a mix of high elves, dark elves and wood elves)
    • the greenskin faction (orks and goblins)
    • the undead faction (khemri and vampire counts)

This confirmed list leaves out the lizardmen, the skaven and the ogres. From here, sources become contradictory and sketchy.

• Contradictory sources have placed the ogres with both the human faction (becoming like ogryns in w40k) and the greenskin faction (since ogres are "culturally" closer to orks than humans).
    • Skaven have been rumored to be an entire faction of their own in Age of Sigmar. Another source puts them in the Chaos faction (like beastmen basically)
    • The lizardmen are also rumored to be an entire faction of their own. Other sources however, state that they have simply disappeared altogether in the new edition.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Dwarves are on their own I would think. Not grouped in with he humans.

And damn no more HRE? The fact that the main protagonist were rennisance Germany instead if some copy paste medieval faction was a but part of what I likes about warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Dwarves are on their own I would think. Not grouped in with he humans.
    No, dwarfs are now to be part of the "human faction" armybook afaik. They will be consolidating everything.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    And damn no more HRE? The fact that the main protagonist were rennisance Germany instead if some copy paste medieval faction was a but part of what I likes about warhammer
    Well, as far as rumours went, you would have different flavours inside the same faction (like the elven faction having high, dark and wood elves), so there is still hope. I also agree that, while somewhat generic and not really that original, the whole history+mithology thing is one of the reasons which made Warhammer cool (although I'd have to admit than I liked Warhammer when I was 12 and had no idea of what the HRE was or how a Landsknecht looked like, so I don't know).

Maybe it's just that landknecths, independently of their historical meaning, are cooler than that medieval spacemarine bs.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

If they're coming out with all the army books and the largest model release they've ever done within the month it would make sense to pull a lot of things off shelves. It might cause the panic we've seen, but that doesn't mean its not a good sign.

For example if they pull the basic High Elf infantry kits like Spearmen and Archers people are going to be like "OMG are they killing off High Elves?" When in reality we've been waiting for those kits to get updated for like a decade.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...