Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
All of the DLC would be worth it to me if it actually added diversity and real changes - not more of the same. But, the main differences from the former Total War games is the modding potential. I am actually way more positive to DLC and expansions than the rest of the community, but one thing I truly hate are these "culture packs". I remember the good old days when you could play other factions after you defeated them in the campaign! What a great system! CA needs to find its roots again. Modding, while probably easier today when it comes to unit creation, needs to return. We need to be able to create new campaign maps, change cities, implement the hot seat function from medieval 2 kingdoms, thus bringing back a lot of what the golden age of Total War was about. I have bought almost every DLC for the Paradox games of Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, because they are either actual changes, they are really cheap, or they are cosmetic changes I can actually appreciate. "Empires of Sand" is not such a DLC I can appreciate. We should have been able to play these factions from the start. CA could have added unit packs afterwards, perhaps, but this would be then be added content, not "cut" content, something I am totally fine with.
Agreed. I don't mind DLC. It's DLC done badly or dishonestly that annoys me.
Skyrim, Oblivion and Witcher 3 do DLC brilliantly (mostly) imo. Culture packs usually reek of locking things in the game behind a pay wall (eg Sparta and Chaos). Things like additional campaigns/storylines and locations are great (eg Emperor edition and Last Roman). It's down to personal opinion really.