Thread: a suggestion for Ayyubid transition

Al Adil's Avatar Foederatus

Default a suggestion for Ayyubid transition

I think the requirement of Ayyubid transition "controling demascus" is not historically accurate
    because the Fatimid dynasty fell in 1169 and never tack back demascus
    I think the requirement of transition should be changed or be automatic at 1170

source en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatimid_Caliphate
    "After the decay of the Fatimid political system in the 1160s, the Zengid ruler Nūr ad-Dīn had his general, Shirkuh, seized Egypt from the vizier Shawar in 1169. Shirkuh died two months after taking power, and the rule went to his nephew, Saladin.[23] This began the Ayyubid Sultanate of Egypt and Syria."

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: a suggestion for Ayyubid transition

I agree. However, I wouldn't take 1170 as reference date but 1174, the year when Nur-al-Din died. When Nur-al-Din was still alived, Saladin still considered him as his leader even if he was reticent to apply his orders. Saladin actually raised his leadership only when Nur-al-Din died.

For example, when Nur-al-Din told him to end up the Shia in Egypt, Saladin waited until the Calife, Al-Adid was severly sick and unable to see what was happening. Saladin ended the Shia only at the death of the last Egyptian Calife in 1171.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 23, 2015 at 08:14 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Al Adil's Avatar Foederatus

you are right. I mentioned 1170 as an example.

Blog Entries

Actually, this is just a coincidence. I just read a book about the Crusades but viewed from the Muslim side. Very interesting and full of references from that period.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post

Actually, this is just a coincidence. I just read a book about the Crusades but viewed from the Muslim side. Very interesting and full of references from that period.

Name?

Blog Entries

"Les Croisades vues par les Arabes" from Amin Maalouf. That's the French version but I think it can be found in English with the following title: "Crusades through Arab eyes" (New York, 1985).

At present, I'm on a book about the Hundred Years War but not focusing on the battles only but on all aspects of the French and English societies (religion, economy, monarchy, etc...). Very interesting.
    After that, I have a doc about the Nowegian Sagas to read and I'm looking for another book (actually 3 books) about Nur-al-Din.

I definitively need to win the lottery to spend my time reading and modding
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 27, 2015 at 01:00 AM.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Lol. Sounds like an impressive reading list, Lifth!

I have read some great history books recently. My favourites are The Byzantine Revival, 780-842 by Warren Treadgold, and Moorish Spain by Richard Fletcher. I found the Byzantine book a real eye opener, it was interesting to read about a period when the Byzzies were growing and getting stronger. I also liked The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer. That one was very entertaining and great fun! It describes just what it would be like to get in a time machine and have a look around in the Medieval world.

Blog Entries

I look forward to read the one about Nur-al-Din. The title is "Nur-al-Din: un grand prince musulman de Syrie au temps des croisades". It can be translated by "Nur-azl-Din: a great Muslim prince during the Crusade time (or period)". It was written in 1967 by Nikita Elisséef and it contents 3 books. I don't know if an English version has been published. It seems quite complete about Syria during that period. It might be useful to implement the Zengid faction.

About the Norwegian Sagas, that's a compilation of most of them, starting from the viking ages up to the 11th or beginning of the 12th century. Very interesting about the society and how it was organized. But also quite long (about 786 pages if I remember correctly). I hope to find some useful elements as well to implement the Scandinavian factions. I've just read a few pages because I had already started the other one about the Hundred Years War.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I look forward to read the one about Nur-al-Din. The title is "Nur-al-Din: un grand prince musulman de Syrie au temps des croisades". It can be translated by "Nur-azl-Din: a great Muslim prince during the Crusade time (or period)". It was written in 1967 by Nikita Elisséef and it contents 3 books. I don't know if an English version has been published. It seems quite complete about Syria during that period. It might be useful to implement the Zengid faction.

About the Norwegian Sagas, that's a compilation of most of them, starting from the viking ages up to the 11th or beginning of the 12th century. Very interesting about the society and how it was organized. But also quite long (about 786 pages if I remember correctly). I hope to find some useful elements as well to implement the Scandinavian factions. I've just read a few pages because I had already started the other one about the Hundred Years War.
    Lol, c'est pas necessaire a traduire pour moi, J'ai compris! (You don't need to translate, I understood).

Ah yes it sounds like it would be ideal, it's always good to find a really detailed book about a subject like this. I read a book called Iran: Empire of the Mind recently, that had some very interesting information about that country. Imagine what we could do if we had a team of 30 modders or more! We could make every single part of the game even more historical and full of details. Lol. SSHIP is very impressive, I looked again at the vanilla M2TW map recently and it reminded me just how good the one made by MWY is. SSHIP is the best.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; November 27, 2015 at 09:22 AM.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    SSHIP is very impressive, I looked again at the vanilla M2TW map recently and it reminded me just how good the one made by MWY is. SSHIP is the best.
    Yup. I also love the settlement models, they're so much more detailed and easier on the eyes than the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    Imagine what we could do if we had a team of 30 modders or more! We could make every single part of the game even more historical and full of details.
    It's not just a question of manpower, I think the biggest obstacle for M2TW modders are the hard-coded limits (31 factions, 500 units, 199 regions...)

Quote Originally Posted by jurcek1987 View Post
    It's not just a question of manpower, I think the biggest obstacle for M2TW modders are the hard-coded limits (31 factions, 500 units, 199 regions...)
    yes,jurcek it is a big obstacle, we must sign the petition for removed all these limits, i did a few weeks ago...

SIGNED PLEASE!!!!
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...cordi%20target=
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I already signed the petition when it first appeared. Not that I think it will make any difference but never hurts to try.

Blog Entries

The link has been in my sig for months
    Do the same and you'll have a better chance to reach more people as it appears at the bottom of each of your posts

The link has been in my sig for months
    Do the same and you'll have a better chance to reach more people as it appears at the bottom of each of your posts
    i would like doing, but i donīt know hehehe only copy of direction and paste? explain me please
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Blog Entries

Go to your profile "My account", edit your signature, post the link there or write something, select the text and add the link with the "Link" button.

Go to your profile "My account", edit your signature, post the link there or write something, select the text and add the link with the "Link" button.
    Thanks friend! i will support this!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,