Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Can we rule the world? New info on regional occupation.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Re: Can we rule the world? New info on regional occupation.

they clearly need a new engine.
    too many crutches

I don't have a problem with the regional occupation. Despite pouring hundreds of hour in to every TW game I've never actually finished a single campaign, nor have I ever 'painted the map' beyond historical and logical borders. I just end up getting really bored late-game as it has such a huge snowball effect. Every battle essentially just boils down to bringing enough stacks to tip the autoresolve in your favor.

With more limited (although still huge) available territory for settling down both you and the AI are urged to manage your resources a bit better. Hopefully that will make the end-game more interesting and I can actually give a about my armies instead of just chugging them out like an assembly line.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

CA made it wrong. I would add prio for every faction, so Dwarfs have 100% prio to conquer own capital, 70% Orc cities, but 10% Empire cities.
    Similar CA has at medieval with recruiting units, if I remember right, but here they could do with attack priority. Sure if orcs conquer empire City some flee and other will be killed. This is easy way Pop up window with a text and picture. Just some thoughs Till Im waiting here on airport.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

I think comparing the previous TW settings and this one is a little difficult. This is a Lore-based fantasy world, not a world dominated by a single human race. Norsca is inhospitable and corrupted with the power of Tzeetch and other Chaos gods. Citizens of the Empire would immediately turn or be driven insane by the sheer power and difficulty to live in the region. Common, everyday resources don't grow in the "badlands" where the Orcs and Goblins reside, thus making it difficult for the humans to reside. Dwarves can live there because, well, they build into mountains and they damn insane.

Just reading some of the comments here cements that people, no matter what, will be unhappy with the mechanics. Yes, it is lore friendly. You're right, it's a "sandbox" but at least they are keeping true to Lore in this instance or otherwise people who are joining the Warhammer franchise will not understand the GRAVE DIFFERENCES between the factions.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

warl0rd13's Avatar Semisalis

I don't get why they are being so defensive of the lore though, didn't they blow up it all up and replace with AoS?
    Stabber, Ikanan teen.
    Silias "Twitch Tethers, Ordonian ranger

Quote Originally Posted by warl0rd13 View Post
    I don't get why they are being so defensive of the lore though, didn't they blow up it all up and replace with AoS?
    I think it's more CA's direction that GW's, though the latter can be really strict with their IP. I don't mind them using the lore as the reason or gameplay balance as a reason... but I do mind them veering between the two to justify various decisions. It comes across as disingenuous. Just pick one and go with it.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

I wonder if it had anything to do with when CA purchased the IP from GW, and chances are, CA would've dropped GW if they were forced to go with AoS...I'm pretty sure that the TT world let out a collective groan when AoS was announced. Plus CA and GW are both based out of the UK, so part of me imagines that our fellow nerds in CA had a fair share of WHFB players that knew about this.

Quote Originally Posted by CK23 View Post
    I think comparing the previous TW settings and this one is a little difficult. This is a Lore-based fantasy world
    Yeah no. The "Lore" beign used as an excuse is wrong since it does not in fact support it.
    Norsca is inhospitable and corrupted with the power of Tzeetch and other Chaos gods.
    Wrong. Norsca is in fact populated by the Norse and is not inhospitable and if the Empire could it would definitely try and take it over regardless of how hard it would be(such as dealing with the massive amounts of chaos and angry chaos vikings).
    Citizens of the Empire would immediately turn or be driven insane by the sheer power and difficulty to live in the region.
    Because that is obviously what they would do, send harmless civilians into the chaos infested area and not, you know, clean it out until it becomes safe enough to bring them in to colonize. Would it still be difficult? yes it would but it would not be impossible as you assume.

Common, everyday resources don't grow in the "badlands" where the Orcs and Goblins reside, thus making it difficult for the humans to reside.
    "difficult" Does not equal "impossible". If the resources are not that plentiful then they can surely take the long process of trying to change it to fit them.
    Dwarves can live there because, well, they build into mountains and they damn insane.
    Terrible argument. The Empire has built things that are obviously extreme despite being human, even if they are not as great at it as the Dwarves are it does not mean that they would not take the chance and if they succeed they could simply again like I said, take the long process of fitting it to humans since they already have a good base to start with since they would most likely be impossible to destroy with the tech they have so they would have a lot left to work around with instead of building it all up after a siege.

Just reading some of the comments here cements that people, no matter what, will be unhappy with the mechanics.
    False. If they simply gave them a choice to have a playstyle like they had before or did not make it to be at such a sever size to where you cannot occupy anything outside your races territory more people would not be unhappy.
    Yes, it is lore friendly.
    Bull.
    You're right, it's a "sandbox" but at least they are keeping true to Lore in this instance
    They are not they are using it as an excuse. Which is especially hilarious as they are at the same time disregarding it in other cases.
    or otherwise people who are joining the Warhammer franchise will not understand the GRAVE DIFFERENCES between the factions.
    This is not creating grave differences between the factions. This is limiting players choice and taking away many replayability from them when they are basically forced to be stuck playing the exact same way every game.

Woah, woah. National Margarita Day was yesterday, hold the salt please!

Where does the Lore not support it? I mean, from what I know about Warhammer FB its pretty solid when it comes to people not expanding past their places. I agree with the "Lore" move despite what you and others might say in face of "bull" because it makes sense. I don't see how players are saying its a "cop out" because its probably easier to code every region as conquerable then to code them to belong to only certain factions.

But, instead of respond to each of your points which say the same thing really, you can simply not play the game or you can wait, surely, for a mod that rids us of the horrible affliction that the ChAos gods have pushed upon us with the new, radical system that isn't the same boring s*%# as always. I applaud an attempt.

Oh, as for your last quip about being "forced to be stuck playing the exact same way every game" I think thats horrible defeatism before we really know stuff about the game. Orc WAAAGGHHs and invasion of Chaos will likely wreck you, as apparent by the Dwarven campaigns of the CA guys who all have VERY VERY VERY different campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    This is not creating grave differences between the factions. This is limiting players choice and taking away many replayability from them when they are basically forced to be stuck playing the exact same way every game.
    Wait... how, exactly? So if you can't get to occupy a settlement and only attack, loot/raze it so that means you shouldn't bother? In TW games was I always forced to occupy? No. Why would you be playing the game the same way every time?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Woah, woah. National Margarita Day was yesterday, hold the salt please!.
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    haha
    I'm here all week.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Wait... how, exactly? So if you can't get to occupy a settlement and only attack, loot/raze it so that means you shouldn't bother? In TW games was I always forced to occupy? No. Why would you be playing the game the same way every time?
    Pretty common logic from most of the anti-ROS posts. "It forces me to play the same way, every game." When realistically, it actually forces you to play differently because you do not know who will become power and who will not. Right, I get that could happen with any TW game but now you have to focus actually on what provinces you have and hold because they could make the difference because they are finite. It adds meaning and depth to something, I'm not saying its a perfect system but it makes sense for Warhammer and its a refreshing change of pace.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Yeah I'm 100% on board with the new mechanics.

No more steamrolling hopefully.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I'm with them on this one too. Which is to say something me being a huge naysayer to most things they do recently.

But I still think they could have thrown in some extra options to make it a tad juicer. On this I'm with Top Hat, if isn't moddable, then it will get tiring very soon.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; February 24, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Well, if I can't conquer the Empire with my Greenskins then burning it to the ground will have to do.
    Stabber, Ikanan teen.

Well, if I can't conquer the Empire with my Greenskins then burning it to the ground will have to do.

That or we blow it all up. The entire setting, gone.

Yah hear that 40K fans? Still want us to advance the plot?
    Stabber, Ikanan teen.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    It's interesting to note the different responses on different mediums. On reddit the response was overwhelmingly positive, here is so so and on the official forums it's mixed also. Can see why it's so hard to take cues from a fanbase that is sone divided.
    Reddit is such a "fanboy" area it's insane. I remember in the run-up to Rome 2 we were seeing warning signs of how catastrophic the game was going to be. Reddit desperately tried to explain away every little thing, "it'll be fixed in day 1 patch!" or "you're too entitled, you expect too much of a day 1 release."

Following the complete train crash that was Rome 2's release, it was somewhat schadenfreude-y watching them all rationalising their purchases. "It'll come good I'm sure!" Any forum on reddit is the same. The Half Life forum in particular is so cringey in how they analyse all the "clues" left by Valve. Every single one of them eventually turning out to be a damp squib.

Basically don't take reddit's opinion on anything. Majority rules there and any dissent is stamped out and downvoted so no one can see it. Chances are lots of people are complaining about this system, but the fanboys have downvoted the comments and threads so you can't see them.

Thousands of years of evolution and we still see such crippling stupidity from reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by J1N6666 View Post
    Thousands of years of evolution and we still see such crippling stupidity from reddit.
    I prefer the blissfill optimism than some of this vile and silly postings at times.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast