Thread: Dark Age campaing suggestions

Default Dark Age campaing suggestions

Hi all. First of all thanks to MWY and Lifth for this great submod.

I decided to create thread with my friend Jurcek87 about 'Dark Age' Campaing. We are willing to help as much as we can when this campaing is decided to be done.
    We think best starting date for balans would be 900 AD. Anything before or after that will have atleast 1 superpower.

Here are some maps of 900AD

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Map that me and Jurcek are creating. Of course it is not precise, but its good for starting, that other people have in mind what they can except from 900AD.

All faction slots are currently used 30+ 1 rebel in this map.
    We considered every single faction for days. And we think this one is most balanced, and with greatest diversity.

About cultures, we suggest:
    1)Christian
    2)Roman(byzantine)
    3)Muslim
    4)Steppe(Tengri)
    5)Pagan
    6)Slavic

Religions:
    Sunni:

1)Aghlabids
    2)Abbasid
    3)Tulunid
    4)Saffarid
    5)Emirate Of Cordoba

Shia:
    1)Idrissid

Western Christians:
    1)Asturias
    2)West Frankia
    3)East Franks
    4)Kingdom of italy
    5)Papal State
    6)Lombards
    7)Lower Burgundy
    8)Lotharingia
    9)Wessex
    10)Alba
    11)Great Moravia
    12)Normans

Pagans:
    1)Denmark
    2)Norway
    3)Polaks
    4)Magyars
    5)Kievan rus

Tengri:
    1)Pecheneg
    2)Oghuz turks

Judaism
    1)Khazar khanate

Eastern Christianity:
    1)Romans
    2)Armenia
    3)Serbs
    4)Bulgaria

Default Re: Dark Age campaing suggestions

That's sounds great dude, very interesting stuff!

The brown faction in the boot of italy and the orange in the balkans are supposed to be who?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

That's fair enough. Let's start
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

In italy are Lombards, In balkan are Serbs( Probably Raska, Dioclea could be rebels)
    I will do map with numbers marking factions

OP update, posted new map with factions marked
    Here is also map :

Religion:

Sunni:

1)Aghlabids
    2)Abbasid
    3)Tulunid
    4)Saffarid
    5)Emirate Of Cordoba

Shia:
    1)Idrissid

Western Christians:
    1)Asturias
    2)West Frankia
    3)East Franks
    4)Kingdom of italy
    5)Papal State
    6)Lombards
    7)Lower Burgundy
    8)Lotharingia
    9)Wessex
    10)Alba
    11)Great Moravia
    12)Normans

Pagans:
    1)Denmark
    2)Norway
    3)Polaks
    4)Magyars
    5)Kievan rus

Tengri:
    1)Pecheneg
    2)Oghuz turks

Judaism
    1)Khazar khanate

Eastern Christianity:
    1)Romans
    2)Armenia
    3)Serbs
    4)Bulgaria

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

What's with the "Lombards" and how are they even a faction in 900?

Perhaps an emergent Norman faction in Italy/Sicily would be a better option.

...or Volga Bulgaria, Croatia, a generic Baltic state like the Prussians etc.

I have to agree with you. From start thinking about Croatia or some Baltic tribe. I actualy included both of them... while i idioticly forgot about Saffarids and Oghuz.
    So, yes, in my opinion its better that Lombards go in favour of one of those factions.
    About Volga Bulgaria... Well, im not sure. I thought it would be better making it terra incognita, but thats just my opinion, and some more regions there aswell. But I guess they can also go as faction.
    Another option is that we cut caspian, that way we get 2 faction slots, but then we need to put seljuks as invading faction, while this way oghuz 'transition' could be done regarding seljuks. + This way it is playable by player

Regarding normans, they are already in, and it could be scripted that they gain some invasion armys in sicily if it is under muslim rule for example.
    What concern me about them, is that they should also invade england. So it will be hard if AI play norman faction, to control so distant kingdoms, and not to mention having that 2 kingdoms actualy as one.
    EDIT: I forgot that starting date is 900ad(so far), so they should be emergent faction

So best thing would be to swap lombards with croatia/baltic faction.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    Regarding normans, they are already in, and it could be scripted that they gain some invasion armys in sicily if it is under muslim rule for example.
    The Normans of Normandy and the Normans of Italy/Sicily have nothing to do with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    What concern me about them, is that they should also invade england. So it will be hard if AI play norman faction, to control so distant kingdoms, and not to mention having that 2 kingdoms actualy as one.
    Your main problem will be the fact that a scripted invasion of England would then be 166 years after the start date, think about what the map will look like by then.

Also, what will you do with Lotharingia?

It was in a state of rebellion merely for a few months until it was again incorporated into the rule of Louis the Child...which would then make it East Francia.

Do you plan to just make Zwentibold king then?

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

This sounds and looks great, I look forward to what you can bring from this! Too bad the Geats had to be left out. DAMN YOU, FACTION LIMITS!

Blog Entries

Ok, before things become too "serious", let me clarify the following points:
    1. If we make such a campaign, it won't be in a short term period. As mentioned recently, I'd like to get the Early Campaign more complete and probably the High one more developped before to start this one and also due to the amount of work. Basically, that's an complete new mod/submod to be created.
    2. As SSHIP is a submod based on Stainless Steel which itself focuses more on the period between the 12th and 16th century, I have to check if it can be done within the respect/limitations of that mod.

So all in all, get relax, take it easy. There's no point to put things up side down for nothing (if you see my meaning).

Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

Please, change this "Polaks" It should be "Polans"

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Is there a limit to the number of emergent factions? Because if Normandy didn't exist in 900 (I thought it came about later?) then perhaps a number of emergent Norman factions would be the better option.

Also, Wessex in 900AD should not include Cornwall. That was part of the Kingdom of Dumnonia, as was some or all of Brittany - it may just have been the northern part of Brittany (there's debate about this) but Brittany probably isn't worth splitting into regions due to the limit. So Devon yes, but Cornwall no. But again, region limits would dictate this stuff. Wessex would at this time have all of south-central England (its heartland) and the south-east, plus western Mercia (your number map covers this) but would not probably not pass the River Tamar at all yet.

Also the Danelaw, the Danish-controlled parts of England would stretch right up to the borders with west Mercia and Wessex, including East Mercia and East Anglia. While technically independent of Denmark at this time (the North Sea Empire didn't show up for another 100+ years) I'm glad to see them playable under Danish control.

As regards Alba - did they possess Lothian at this time? My Northumbrian has never been my strong point, but didn't they retain some level of independence from both the Danelaw and the Scots in the area of Lothian? Not sure how you'd represent that with the region limit so again it's left to the modder's discretion and limitations, but that's my tuppence-worth of speculation.

Sorry about 'Polaks' mate. I just did it fast, damage will be repaired
    Well i guess its best to forget about this thread guys, because this campaing will be last done.

Lifth, you mentioned high campaing. Will it remain ~1250AD, or will it be moved to 1300AD ?

Blog Entries

You need to ask MWY for that. Basically, even if we work together, I'm responsible for Early Era and MWY is responsible for High Era. So both of us can express his views

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro