Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Preordering Warhammer

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Preordering Warhammer

I don't like the chaos as dlc, but honestly. CA create first time such different factions. So I do understand them. Looking at Rome 2 DLC. You pay for Clone faction with Another flag, so warhammer dlc is logic.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Not pre-ordering, I think it has become an evil business practice that CA has taken to the next level.

Libertus

CA does not deserve preordering. They have a long way out to regain our trust and I am not even sure they are on this road.
    Ever since M2TW there was not one TW game worth the price on launch. 20 bucks with all DLC is what the games deserve from me. So I will just play the beta version until the price gets there.

(tl:dr Wont pre-order, dont trust CA anymore, day 1 DLC is crap, look at Battlefleet Gothic Armada for an exemple of good practice)

Def not pre-ordering, because it is a bad business practice and I want it to disappear.
    I did that mistake with Rome 2, even getting the collector edition ! Well, they still don't have my money for Attila, even if it has been on sale multiple times
    (and I own and played every other TW, even buying Shogun 1 the week it was released, great memories )

CA doesn't have my trust anymore, and having day one DLC feels, to me, like they just think i'm stupid
    I understand games are more costly to develop nowadays, and that the industry has to rely on DLCs to be able to continue
    But the chaos faction is in the game, it is fully developed, finished, it has been covered in development costs, and it will be locked behind a simple grayed out button...
    So when the game comes out and it has bugs, unfinished stuff, not enough variety in siege battles, the fact the empire cant capture anything because of obscure reason...
    Any of those things or all of them combined...
    Then what are people gonna say ? "oh they should have delayed launch" or "they should have fixed that before release, not after 5 patches"...
    yeah well maybe they should have concentrated on the game they said they were doing, instead of adding more stuff to make you pay more
    Oh I know Chaos was probably planned in the initial release from the start (one of the main objectives for the vampires is to destroy Chaos after all)
    but then, why isn't it part of the game ?

I'm a bit angry at them, and that is because I love them, I want so bad for this game to be good, I really want to buy it !
    I really love CA, and the TW series, and it has brought thousands of hours of enjoyment in my life !
    And that is why I really want them to understand they need to change, or this is gonna get worse and worse...

Know what they should do, is take a look at what Tindalos and Focus Home are doing with Battlefleet Gothic Armada !
    Because they are not doing a "pre-order" bonus DLC, they are doing an "early adopter" bonus DLC (which will come out a few months after release)
    which means you get a new faction if you pre-order, but also if you buy within 2 month AFTER launch
    (oh and because they delayed launch for a month, they said "well, since we are making you wait, early adopters will get a second bonus faction")
    And this totally makes sense from a business point of view also ! What they want is for people to pay full price for the game, at release,
    it doesn't change anything for them if you preorder a week before launch, or a week after, they are not an independent studio trying to fund a project.

Well, that was my little wall of text about pre-ordering

Semisalis

I am not pre-ordering but because I am going to wait to buy on sale. I always buy late. I have a huge stack of total war games and I don't need a new one desperately. I think the only reason to be early is if you plan on dominating the multiplayer scene.

On on the other hand I really like what I have seen from the gameplay videos. I think the seiges will get more complex when cities upgrade and more structures go into those open spaces. To be honest I normally autoresolve seiges anyway.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

go find a deal for like 40$ or less and you get chaos dlc for free too. so you are basically getting 70$ content for 40$ win win bro.

for the first time in a total war game, you would have 100% unique races/factions and units. 40$ is way worth it imo. and the delay means more polish.

fyi, those 40$ deals are usually outside of steam, 3rd parties, and you can't get refunds because it is bought from steam directly.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    go find a deal for like 40$ or less and you get chaos dlc for free too. so you are basically getting 70$ content for 40$ win win bro.
    The fact that it's priced at 70$ does not mean it's worth 70$. If I'm offering a bubblegum worth 10 cents for 10 bucks and I sell it to you for 2 bucks, you are not getting the deal of your life, you are being scammed. For instance, I pre-ordered Rome 2 for ~20€ when it went for ~40€ and I did not feel it was worth even that.

And I'm not saying that Warhammer is a scam, I'm merely highlighting that getting it for 40$ not necessarily a win-win situation because we don't yet know if the game is even worth that much.

New content is often overpriced. They factor the sense of urgency in the initial price.

In any case, just today I've seen it for 37€ already.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: chaos gameplay versus empire!

I pre ordered for the bonuses.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

how much an item is worth is very subjective. I am just offering my opinion that 40$ is a good deal for the game. whether or not you agree is a different matter. both are opinions. OP can make up his mind base on all of the posted opinions.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

I pre ordered for the bonuses.
    That's a stupid thing to do.

If you had at the very least waited until the game was as close to release as possible, and then pre-ordered the game, you could at least still get the game refunded if it turned out to be bad. Now you're stuck with it. Not to mention, you've given money to a very, very bad business practice.

This sort of complete and utter apathy is ing dangerous.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 09, 2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: edited out off-topic parts after merger.
    CA needs competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    If you want to give CA a vote of confidence, then pre-order, but I haven't played a Total War game from release since Shogun II, learning that I should wait for patches to iron out bugs. In fact, it's a pretty good rule of thumb to never pre-order and wait and see what happens with the game in general to avoid disappointment. I'm a little hypocritical in saying that, though, as I pre-ordered The Witcher 3, but luckily I wasn't let down in the slightest.
    Yep, so far CDprojektRed is the only developer I will still pre-order from. I haven't been let down by them yet and I will definitely pre-order 2077. That said I have only ever pre-ordered 4 games and 2 of them have been Witcher franchise so I'm not someone inclined to be in a rush anyway as I find I enjoy playing the complete game which means the game with all DLC at least with rpg and strategy titles. Shooting or adventure games I have less worries about missing content I'd want to experience without a second play thru which I generally don't do.

Pre-ordered as soon as i could, I couldn't help it even after being burned so many times with pre-orders. It will be fine ... it will be ... it has to be

Quote Originally Posted by InferiorBeing View Post
    You take computer games far too seriously. They are games for entertainment, not running for the presidency. The very worst that can happen to you is you've got a disappointing product for £40. That's the equivalent of a disappointing night out.

You need some perspective.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 09, 2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: edited out off-topic parts after merger.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Thanks for all the input guys! Im not gonna preorder the game, it definitely looks great but im in no rush to play/weary of CA not releasing finished products. Hopefully the game is fantastic and that the historical title that follows is a great return to the franchise core!

Quote Originally Posted by InferiorBeing View Post
    That's a stupid thing to do.

If you had at the very least waited until the game was as close to release as possible, and then pre-ordered the game, you could at least still get the game refunded if it turned out to be bad. Now you're stuck with it. Not to mention, you've given money to a very, very bad business practice.

What are you on about. You can, with steam at least, cancel a pre-order at any time and refund up to 2 hours of play time or 14 days after release. I preordered very early and got a refund relatively recently because I have lost hope that the game will be up to scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    You take computer games far too seriously. They are games for entertainment, not running for the presidency. The very worst that can happen to you is you've got a disappointing product for £40. That's the equivalent of a disappointing night out.
    Not really. It has knock on effects. If people are apathetic to certain business practices then companies will keep doing it. When videogames are your main hobby and you really don't have much else, the state of the game's industry can be quite significant to you.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

I wish I was rich enough to pre-order the High King edition for me and a bunch of my friends and post the pictures of the receipts. I think some people would pop a blood vessel.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

You're going to feel pretty dumb when you have to pay $14.99 for playable Chaos.

When I spend like 12 bucks for lunch at a fast food restaurant it puts in perspective how cheap video games are.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

BUT THE BUSINESS POLICIES, that are more likely put into effect by Sega than CA, since Empire was the first game completely made by a Sega owned CA, a wreck of a game at launch, and then the policies people hate went on from there (DLC hell started with S2 afterall)

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post

You need some perspective.
    I love when people tell other people what to value, and how they should value their money, naturally using their own experiences as a reference.

It is the epitome of egotism.

Honestly if they crafted it right the game could be worth a lot more then the asking price to many people myself included. I do not exactly want for money these days so spending $200 on game is fine. It just has to be worth it. I would want to put a lot of hours on it and not regret it. Its all about quality if the game is great and is packed with features and is entertaining with support going forward (for this game not just the sequels) why not throw money at them. I had people flipping me about 400 something hours in Rome 2 "if it sucked why did you play it bla bla..." I put many hours into games that really did not warrant the time only to regret it. I am done wasting time playing games hoping it will get better or suddenly become fun... complete waste of very limited time.

That being said the DLC furnished by CA is dumped on not really for the price but for the content it delivers. Trying to draw and quarter the game 6 months before launch? What do they expect? Why would anyone defend the practice of making a game chopping chunks of it off before it is finished to sell after it is released? For me and I assume many others the "cost" of The DLC Expansion ETC is not nearly as important as the content but if the content was artificially nixed from the game to provide a false sense of value there is a problem having money wont solve.

In closing I would like to simply state that many would give GOLD for GOLD... Problems arise when CA wants to peddle COPPER AND EXPECT GOLD IN RETURN. Even if it is nothing to you financially rewarding such a creed will not bode well in the long term for any that want to be entertained.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast