Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Preordering Warhammer

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: chaos gameplay versus empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    You're going to feel pretty dumb when you have to pay $14.99 for playable Chaos.

When I spend like 12 bucks for lunch at a fast food restaurant it puts in perspective how cheap video games are.
    He could also feel very clever if he noticed hype is artificial, that there is absolutely no rush to play the game, and that he would get exactly the same experience (only a more polished and complete one) if he waited a few months to play it, most likely paying half the price for the complete package.

I don't care what people decide to do, but making the customer feel clever and as if he or she is getting a bargain when in most cases that's far from the truth is precisely the trick marketing plays. I would not boast feeling clever if I fell for it or dumb if I didn't, specially if we take into account that the value of the game will vary from one person to the next. You might feel that 60 bucks is a bargain and someone else might not touch it with stick even for 40.

Also, about the lunch, that kind of relative comparison can be used to argue that dlcs are cheap as much as it can be used to argue that fast food is expensive. And I would not feel particularly clever If I was sold the second burger below at full price just because I got the ketchup for free.

For instance, I pre-ordered Rome 2 for ~22€ including the greeks pack and I felt as if I had found the best deal ever (the game was going for 44+ in most places, and 20 bucks for what at the time was one of the most anticipated games ever looked like a steal). Turns out, I uninstalled it after 10 turns because it was shallow and unplayable, and I did not get myself to play more than 10 turns for over a year. When I finally felt that the game was in an enjoyable state, Emperor Edition was already out and you could get the game plus several unit packs, dlcs and campaigns for under the price I got at launch. A person who held the hype and bought it then should not have felt dumber than me at all, to be honest.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 10, 2016 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen851 View Post
    I love when people tell other people what to value, and how they should value their money, naturally using their own experiences as a reference.

It is the epitome of egotism.
    Making decisions based on previous experience is egotism? So what should I base them off? Hypothetical situations? Overheard anecdotes? Voices from God? Also I'm not telling him what to value, I'm using a comparative monetary value as an example. Telling people what their opinions should be seems to within your remit, not mine. Not being able to see from other's perspective is egocentrism. Sound familiar?

I think we've finally found out why you can't seem to grasp other people have different opinions without you labeling them fanboys. You seem to be basing it solely on the very short time you've known about me.

Hey, wouldn't that make you using your own narrow experiences as a reference? Huh, how about that?
    Last edited by Markas; April 10, 2016 at 08:18 AM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Default Re: Preordering Warhammer

$12 for fast food? Are you serious? Is that normal?

I can't wait until this game comes out; hopefully then I won't feel compelled to check this forum daily or so for news, and I'll avoid these sparkling and insightful conversations.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Person012345 View Post
    $12 for fast food? Are you serious? Is that normal?
    When you eat like a man.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    When you eat like a man.
    hahahahahahaha indeed...I have a friend who spends 25$ at taco bell easily when drunk, its a sight. The world is his oyster...I'm glad i made this thread just to see the controversy surrounding this game and the industry. I've watched a number of gameplay videos since posting and it does look pretty good, but then again so does atilla! ay yae yae! definitely a tough decision, not knowing jack about warhammer doesnt help either!

Yeah, I'm cutting down, so £9 is about standard. Nearer £15 used to be.

I'm in a tricky situatio. I didn't like Attila. It felt floaty in combat, and the setting was boring (despite being eventful); less Dark Ages, more Dull Ages. Despite the additional things available within the game, I couldn't help but wish it was in a more interesting setting, that of the Classical Age, or the Hypothetical ones of Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, or the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

So, despite the advances that technology and a defined engine have brought for Total War Warhammer, I'm as trepiditious of the game as those who worry about CA's arcady nature.

This is a 15 year love affair I've had with the setting. Painted models, played in Grand Tournaments, read possibly every lore book written regarding the armies I played, and many others of those I didn't. Books no longer in print and nigh impossible to download, literally lost, forgotten or whitewashed knowledge. Nagash's backstory prior to his Time of Legends, solidified within the Liber Necris being among my favourite.

i don't really want some of CA's lackadaisical 'that'll do' approach affecting this videogaming lark I so enjoy, so that gameplay is lacking and the lore is made shallow and easily accessible for the sake of casuals, actually dumbing down the politics of the Empire, the Vampire Counts relationships and history, Chaos' more empathic and in depth background with their gods than the usual fantasy deity, orcs and goblins qxtually being more than comic relief or generic xenoform to be slaughtered by the gods.

Warcraft gets a film about them, and a multibillion pound videogaming Intellectual Property. I never really got in WC3 or WoW because I was more into Kingdom Under Fire and Runescape and didn't plan it. But when it has the potential of Warhammer and the depth it has, I don't want to see it.

On the other hand, I don't have that YET. I have no other game. Mark of Chaos didn't hold my attention past a single campaign. Call of Warhammer was despite its best efforts, an unenjoyable interpretation using an illsuited engine. I have recebtly purchased a new PC capabke of playing this game to the best of its abilities. To have waited essentially 15 years for this game I have to get it.

There is no question of preordering, it will be done. I'll still be trepiditious.

I already pre-order the game without regret... why? its Warhammer ..... early or later you would buy it .... and what happen if is a total disaster game? Refund by Steam .... any problem at all

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

that steam refund policy really puts everything into perspective there is no danger and you get a free dlc to boot.

meh, I would still recommend people trying to find a copy for 40$ or less and forget the refund policy.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    that steam refund policy really puts everything into perspective there is no danger and you get a free dlc to boot.

meh, I would still recommend people trying to find a copy for 40$ or less and forget the refund policy.
    This is a good point but doesn't really address the ethical aspect. Even if you disagree with it, I hope that you can at least acknowledge that it is an issue.

I'm not sure that the steam refund policy is quite the silver bullet solution to this issue that people think it is. Obviously it works well if the game doesn't run at all, and that is fine. The problem in my mind is that 2 hours is far too short a time to decide if the game is worth it or not. In a TW game, you probably won't get far past the tutorial in 2 hours.

use youtube reviews and twitch lets plays to get an idea of how the game runs and plays. and ca sends out early copies for reviews a week before release date. that is all you need really.

playing a TW game for less than 2 hours would not give you a good idea of it's quality. don't try. use youtube fan reviews and twitch lets plays. I got attila from the ca lets plays on twitch, it was exactly what I thought it will be. completely uncut lets plays on twitch really helps.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Basically if there is a storm I can refund. If there isn't I get to play as a 30 foot tall lizard centaur who shoots lightning...
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

I preordered dspite the horrible Rome 2 that was flawed to the core by the game design and the boring Attila ...because Since its a fantasy game in a setting I have no knowledge of I will not get disappointed by the usual fantasy route and inventions that CA has become famous for changing history to their own ideas . This ime its pure fantasy so they should Be comfortable with that .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    I preordered dspite the horrible Rome 2 that was flawed to the core by the game design and the boring Attila ...because Since its a fantasy game in a setting I have no knowledge of I will not get disappointed by the usual fantasy route and inventions that CA has become famous for changing history to their own ideas . This ime its pure fantasy so they should Be comfortable with that .
    Don't see how the lack of historical innacuracies is going to make the disappointment due to potential gameplay inconsistencies, poor game design or questionable marketing strategies any better, but hey.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Besides the fact that pre-orders are toxic for this industry in general?

Consider that there was Rome 2 bad and Attila bad: different kinds of bad. The Rome 2 bad was immediately obvious, and it took about a year to resolve some but not all of those deficiencies through patches. Attila's drawbacks didn't emerge until thirty or forty turns into the game, and the opening ten hours or so were fabulous. Deeper into Attila it became obvious that the AI was programmed to target the player and/or run around pointlessly and that playing as Roman Empire east or west was a endless siege battle fest on the same four or so maps. That said both games have improved through patches, especially TWR2.

So pre-ordering TW is almost pointless unless you are so into Warhammer and can't wait six months or so to for the kinks to get worked out. I suppose it could be different this time, but that's what they always try to sell you.

Pre-Ordering is just an exclusive membership for beta-testing.
    Sorry to say that but I´ve lost faith in CA in the several past years.

Additional, I don´t need to play a game on Day1-release. So waiting months or a year to grab it during a deal with the DLC´s is much cheaper and less dissapointing.

As much as I wished the past years to play a Warhammer back in the days of "Shadow of the Horned Rat", watching the Preview videos weren´t satisfying enough - a decent "meh!" was all I could offer. I couldn´t even say the AI has been improved bcs the player of those YT replays had a reaction like a sloth and could be titled "Prince Valium".

Pretty sure professional reviews will rate this high, "beautiful art, visual and impactful to watch" but "still weakness in the AI and a bug-fest". Rome2 needed a year to made this game acceptable but the horrible start encourages some to take a step back and distance from this product. I can only argue for my buddies and me.

AND the last, and somehow crucial argument, the battle speeches of the generals/heroes are very underwhelming.
    Warhammer is a brutal, dirty and fanatic lore. Those speeches sound as if the voice actors would read from a telephone book and finished their work afterwards. Some effects were created to delivered the ordinary fanatsy immersion and done.

It may sound harsh bout what I wrote and somehow a rant but this reflects my experience of the last games CA showed me.

See you on a sale,

Stablebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Horus View Post
    Yeah, I'm cutting down, so £9 is about standard. Nearer £15 used to be.

I'm in a tricky situatio. I didn't like Attila. It felt floaty in combat, and the setting was boring (despite being eventful); less Dark Ages, more Dull Ages. Despite the additional things available within the game, I couldn't help but wish it was in a more interesting setting, that of the Classical Age, or the Hypothetical ones of Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, or the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

So, despite the advances that technology and a defined engine have brought for Total War Warhammer, I'm as trepiditious of the game as those who worry about CA's arcady nature.

This is a 15 year love affair I've had with the setting. Painted models, played in Grand Tournaments, read possibly every lore book written regarding the armies I played, and many others of those I didn't. Books no longer in print and nigh impossible to download, literally lost, forgotten or whitewashed knowledge. Nagash's backstory prior to his Time of Legends, solidified within the Liber Necris being among my favourite.

i don't really want some of CA's lackadaisical 'that'll do' approach affecting this videogaming lark I so enjoy, so that gameplay is lacking and the lore is made shallow and easily accessible for the sake of casuals, actually dumbing down the politics of the Empire, the Vampire Counts relationships and history, Chaos' more empathic and in depth background with their gods than the usual fantasy deity, orcs and goblins qxtually being more than comic relief or generic xenoform to be slaughtered by the gods.

Warcraft gets a film about them, and a multibillion pound videogaming Intellectual Property. I never really got in WC3 or WoW because I was more into Kingdom Under Fire and Runescape and didn't plan it. But when it has the potential of Warhammer and the depth it has, I don't want to see it.

On the other hand, I don't have that YET. I have no other game. Mark of Chaos didn't hold my attention past a single campaign. Call of Warhammer was despite its best efforts, an unenjoyable interpretation using an illsuited engine. I have recebtly purchased a new PC capabke of playing this game to the best of its abilities. To have waited essentially 15 years for this game I have to get it.

There is no question of preordering, it will be done. I'll still be trepiditious.
    I sincerely hope you do enjoy the game, even more so as you have bought a PC ready for it. If I was in your place I would be also champing at the bit.

Thinking that CA are going to give you the depth you crave(that it won't be simplified) is this realistic?
    May I suggest you try and see it as a game to try and enjoy purely for it's own merit without to many expectations, and if it does deliver anything more then so much the better. Now if the same type of mindset from the crew who made the EB mod for RTWI were making this game then I would be really hopeful, but then that would be love without compromise, and I really can't see CA and Co serving up their interpretation of the WH world to that level, in fact would it even be commercially viable to put in that much effort, and would a game like that be palatable to the gaming masses?

I get the feeling that this new game is going to be a DLC wonderland.

Brittania? 7.99$
    Chaos? 7.99$
    High Elves? 7.99$
    Dark Elves? 7.99$
    Total Sum: 200$

Me: No thanks. I will wait for gold edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    I get the feeling that this new game is going to be a DLC wonderland.

Brittania? 7.99$
    Chaos? 7.99$
    High Elves? 7.99$
    Dark Elves? 7.99$
    Total Sum: 200$

Me: No thanks. I will wait for gold edition.
    aha, why feel? dlc has been the norm since empire tw. I always buy at about 40$ and buy the dlcs later on all in 1 pack, the only exception is the blood pack.
    fear is helluva drug

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Don't see how the lack of historical innacuracies is going to make the disappointment due to potential gameplay inconsistencies, poor game design or questionable marketing strategies any better, but hey.
    Because for me their fantasy approach to Rome II, biased historical twists solutions and the several attempt to make pass as truthfull and based on accurate researches their many flaws and totally made up things and historical inventions disappointed me more than II flaws or else ... Now they are in their comfort zone , the Total Fantasy , so the can't screw up .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast