Thread: Warhammer I & II & III Computer & Hardware Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Libertus

Default Re: Hardware Queries & Advice

Monitors.

1. In 2016 to spend money on a 1080 monitor for gaming it is stupid. Go for 1440p if you care about 120-144HZ panels or 4k if you care more about the real estate of your screen.
    2. If you go for 144p, around 27" is optimal as pixel size.
    3. If you go for 4k, the optimal size is found around 40". If you buy a small 4k (27-30") you will have very sharp images but you will have scaling problems. There are programs where there is scaling and there are many, including a lot of games, where scaling is very bad.
    4. For both 4k and 1440p there is an option to play at lower than advised resolution if your videocard does not reach the fps you need (If you play strategy games like Total War, fps is not as important as for other genres). Spend money on expensive videocards knowing that in 1-1.5 years it will, at least, half its price. For example 780ti was 700+$ about 1 year ago. With GTX1080 and especially GTX1070, I doubt one can sell one for more than 300$ starting next month. Ask yourself how much you need to pay that premium. If you have money to spend on your hobby, than buy whatever you like. But if you want to spend smart, you should target GTX1070 or similar AMD (probably 490-490x) videocard price point and performance (350-400$). Wont be enough for 60 fps in 4k but neither will 1080. One of the advantages of 4k is that you can lower some settings (AA for example) and it will still look very good. Expect less than 60 fps or lower than ultra settings if you plan to run only one card that is currently on the market or arriving this year. And two cards bring their own assortment of problem as: no proper support in games, heat in your case and house, noise, lots of power from the wall and so on.

Good luck in your decision!
    Last edited by Gicusan; May 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: Hardware Queries & Advice

Thanks for taking the time to respond Gicusan. I have read carefully what every body says, after all there is no point in throwing money away for the sake of it, anyway greed and lust should be tempered with compromise and common sense, and I have a beautiful motorcycle which may well try and be a money pit one day