Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Warhammer Reviews and Videos (NDA lifted)

Default Re: Positive Reception

Yeah, and a release on a monday... Can we just play already?

Ummm ...Tuesday

Campidoctor
    Civitate

The German magazine Gamestar has published a Test video for Warhammer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZapVFtjbXqg

Shortly summarized, they liked how the factions each play different on the campaign map and the battlefield, the strong but not too strong spells, the fact that you can level and upgrade your hero, the smooth siege battles and also a relatively polished release (no game-breaking bugs).
    Meanwhile, they didnt liked that several features from previous games had been cut, like that there is no more public order, squalor and also that you cant even dismount your horsemen anymore. Also, they critized still occuring AI issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    The German magazine Gamestar has published a Test video for Warhammer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZapVFtjbXqg

Shortly summarized, they liked how the factions each play different on the campaign map and the battlefield, the strong but not too strong spells, the fact that you can level and upgrade your hero, the smooth siege battles and also a relatively polished release (no game-breaking bugs).
    Meanwhile, they didnt liked that several features from previous games had been cut, like that there is no more public order, squalor and also that you cant even dismount your horsemen anymore. Also, they critized still occuring AI issues.
    What you cannot dismount cavalry in this game?? Meaning range cavalry are useless in siege!!!

How about the empire. dwarfs and bretonnia??? Maybe those faction have public order??

Back to OP topics, who's AJ?? Angry Joe. Just watch his stream his gameplay is unwatchable. Lol his chaos faction just destroy and complaining about range cavalry even though he can counter those. Angry Joe is really joke!! I understand this is the first time he play as a horde but commanding his troops is just newbie like the IGN guy won a phyrric victory in a bloody tutorial even complain on its review about limited units to control in tutorial.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Total War: Warhammer Reviews and Videos (NDA lifted)

~ Merged similar threads, I don't think we need one for reviews and a different one just for saying that the reviews are good. Feel free to comment that here ~

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by gyabo View Post
    How about the empire. dwarfs and bretonnia??? Maybe those faction have public order??
    Sorry, small mistake by mine. They dont cut public order but the food-system.

Wow so all advisors look the same for all factions? Isnt that really lazy?

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I cant really remember to have dismounted any cav unit ever since the feature was introduced in Empire: TW.

So is the consensus that is a highly stable and well performing tw tittle? I see nobody complaining about technical difficulties.

I also don't see anybody calling it a horrible game, maybe they don't like it but nothing on the level of rtw2 and etw.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Rob Zacny (the RPS article author) is a very good critic; I would trust his review
    RPS is my go to review site after I got nauseated of Gamespot becoming a new IGN, but that said, they were quite soft in their Rome 2 review. Their Warhammer review seems to focus too much in the general lines, there is to much narrative and too few details in my humble opinion. In any case, I agree, I do trust their word.

Also, to each its own. I have been quite hard with CA (rightfully, I think) but I have to say that having the guts to lift the NDA for reviews a week before release deserves credit, and should be an example to be followed.

Quote Originally Posted by r3dshift
    but stripping the strategy elements down to such a bare-bones state was a very bad decision.
    Honestly, the campaign side of the game was terrible anyway, so I think that, for this particular game, was actually a very good decision. Hopefully for their next big game they'll go more ambitious and strategic (and hopefully they will try new stuff and borrow ideas instead of reusing the same stale system again).

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    I cant really remember to have dismounted any cav unit ever since the feature was introduced in Empire: TW.
    I have, and I think the feature is useful, immersive and fun. It's usefulness in sieges is undeniable (although someone could argue that you could dismount units pre-battle), but there are some situations in which it's just great. For instance, I remember fighting a defensive battle against a larger army were flanking with my cavalry was just pointless/suicidal yet I needed to hold a flank and had no units to hold it, so I dismounted my riders and made them hold it as regular infantry, they did a great job and I ended up winning the battle. If I had done the same but leaving them mounted they would have been slaughtered because cavalry just does not hold well in protracted stationary combat. I also enjoy "dragoon-like" skirmish tactics.

The problems with Warhammer, I imagine, are that a) they would need a ton of more animations for different races dismounting different creatures and, most importantly, they would have to deal with certain mounts actually being great fighters, so the current mechanic would look weird (can you imagine Deathclaw remaining idle in the back while Karl Franz charges forward alone? Or wasting a unit of demigriphs? If they did allow them to behave as two units, they would have to deal with more cards and some mounts would be a bit pointless (why keep Karl Franz on his griffon when you can dismount him and have 2 awesome melee units?).

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Honestly, the campaign side of the game was terrible anyway, so I think that, for this particular game, was actually a very good decision. Hopefully for their next big game they'll go more ambitious and strategic (and hopefully they will try new stuff and borrow ideas instead of reusing the same stale system again).
    "Hopefully" is one hope too many for me. My Barrel of Hope is running near dry now for TW games. So what's that up to now, Fourth Time's the charm for 'hoping' the next after Warhammer brings back what is needed, whether it is another Warhammer or not (counting from Rome 2)?

At one point, I was very close to staying interested in TW:W - a maybe buy after release, but now I don't know if I can be arsed to pay attention to it with further Decline in features and overall depth.
    Last edited by Taskeen; May 20, 2016 at 05:26 PM.

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by Arimahn View Post
    Looks like I expected - Blobbing galore, completely anemic charges. Another Warscape game in other words.
    Blobbing has been in every TW game and charges are far more impactful than older games.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

They kinda overdid the charge impact in this one, R2TW had pretty solid charge impact (in terms of realism and visuals).
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Game looks amazing to me and in all honesty, the campaign needed to be streamlined. It was mass complication. I would be able to handle it no problem for the rest of my family and friends. confused the heck out of them. This is better to bring in a bigger crowd but not barebones enough to completely remove any strategy. I have been watching legends games and it honesty runs smooth for campaigning. The no dismounted cavalry was covered by HigoChumbo so no need to go more into that. pretty much i feel this is gonna be another great game like shogun 2 but with a great varied amount of units.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    No, the adviser is almost 100% the end boss. He is probably a greater daemon of Tzeentch judging by his albino crow and the fact he looks like the dude from the cinematic trailer.

I'm just sad that I have a 3 day weekend from work and can't play it yet =\
    Forward, march!

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    They kinda overdid the charge impact in this one, R2TW had pretty solid charge impact (in terms of realism and visuals).
    Agreed, but I guess CA had to satisfy the many people who complained about the charge impacts in Rome 2.

Not if you pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by LordInvictus View Post
    Agreed, but I guess CA had to satisfy the many people who complained about the charge impacts in Rome 2.
    I wonder how many of the critics of charge impact have witnessed cavalry in real action. Kinda makes sense for Warhammer to be over the top, though.

Quote Originally Posted by D@gget View Post
    Not if you pay attention.

I wonder how many of the critics of charge impact have witnessed cavalry in real action. Kinda makes sense for Warhammer to be over the top, though.
    Really every advisor looks the same to me....the old guy with the staff+bird no?

Also realised an important thing surely Chaos needs to be subdivided into Khorne/Nurgle etc? That's how it's done in re tabletop no?

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Really every advisor looks the same to me....the old guy with the staff+bird no?

Also realised an important thing surely Chaos needs to be subdivided into Khorne/Nurgle etc? That's how it's done in re tabletop no?
    I am no expert of the WH lore but under archeon chaos becomes undivided so it makes sense
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast