Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watching the first Lets Plays: Did they get rid of town battles and make them field battles?

Default Re: Watching the first Lets Plays: Did they get rid of town battles and make them field battles?

Wow is this confirmed? Only sieges we will see are for the main settlements?

This is quite a large thing that doesnt seem to be talked about at all. I wonder why?

I was actually tempted to pre-order this. Now I dont think so.

Gotta love the excuses in this thread. So a game company cant get something right, it's therefore better that we accept this as being the way forward? Sounds like the true definition of apologists...
    Last edited by Totalheadache; May 20, 2016 at 03:08 PM.

Default Re: Watching the first Lets Plays: Did they get rid of town battles and make them field battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    Wow is this confirmed? Only sieges we will see are for the main settlements?

This is quite a large thing that doesnt seem to be talked about at all. I wonder why?

I was actually tempted to pre-order this. Now I dont think so.

Gotta love the excuses in this thread. So a game company cant get something right, it's therefore better that we accept this as being the way forward? Sounds like the true definition of apologists...
    Again, you have to build defenses in a building slot them if you want siege battles for minor settlements.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...omment_1546948

http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/building...empire/defence
    Last edited by Markas; May 20, 2016 at 04:12 PM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Again, you have to build defenses in a building slot them if you want siege battles for minor settlements.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...omment_1546948

http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/building...empire/defence
    Ok am tempted to get the game now. I wasnt going to but then some of the battles and units esp the monsters look too damm good to miss out on for x months.

Just hope the ol warhorse can run it nr 60fps.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Just remember that the number of layouts is probably between 10-20 compared to Attila's 40

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Artorius View Post
    Tbf, they can cut down on the number of sieges by bringing back the option to demand surrender, and making the AI more likely to accept it, especially if that faction has just lost a decisive battle. Once again, history provides a solution.
    That removes all the satisfaction completely. You click 'demand surrender' and then automatically get the settlement? That just seems so anti-climatic to me. It would be even worse than auto-resolve for me, personally.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

You can build walls in any settlement, but there's no more endless cruddy town battles where you camped a single street/alley and won easy peasy

Honestly I like this. Town battles are lame, and now even if you play on super easy mode where the AI never invades (or has any armies to fight you with in the open field) then you can still have a lot of open field battles.

Sieges will be more unique and special. Not "oh god not another town attack. Do I really even need this settlement?"

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    You can build walls in any settlement, but there's no more endless cruddy town battles where you camped a single street/alley and won easy peasy

Honestly I like this. Town battles are lame, and now even if you play on super easy mode where the AI never invades (or has any armies to fight you with in the open field) then you can still have a lot of open field battles.

Sieges will be more unique and special. Not "oh god not another town attack. Do I really even need this settlement?"
    Lol town battle are useful against 4 stack of ai or even more especially if the player is outnumber. CA really limited my strategy lol.

The only thing i don't like w/ sieges is fighting an inanimate object called arrow towers. I just don't like the idea to counter them i need to stand to a specific point to destroy and capture them. Also w/ Attila wasting all my precious arrows and siege ammo to destroy that object. Also those Arrow towers are freaking OP. Luckily there is a mod to make them useless lol

The siege town battle maps are really amazing in my opinion. I love defending on them like one unit holding all the hordes and my precious cavalry charging them on the rear. Tricking the Ai defender to open some holes in there defense forcing my cavalry to attack them to the rear. In my opinion attila TW siege map are really fun except for those dreaded arrow tower.

Another thing I hope they got rid of is fort battles! Those are even worse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by auboy View Post
    Another thing I hope they got rid of is fort battles! Those are even worse!!!
    Why not just auto-resolve anything and not have to use any brain?

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Only the province capitals have walls/defences. The battles for the smaller settlements are outside the villages/towns.

It doesn't make any sense.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

No, minor settlements also have walls, you just need to build them at 3rd or 4th level of the city. Capitals have them from start.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Very good decision. Playing the same small village maps over and over again was always incredibly boring. Field battles are the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    No, minor settlements also have walls, you just need to build them at 3rd or 4th level of the city. Capitals have them from start.
    That's nice to hear!!! Are walls cost anything to maintain but i think it will be useless in this game due to growth as i seen in different play through video. How's the Chaos can they build defense while on encapment??? Being a horde in attila TW is difficult to defend against zerg stack of ai in field battle in my opinion. Especially in this game making generals difficult to kill.

I am guessing i will bring 2 stack of Chaos horde, hopefully Ai will not zerg too much or exploit force march. Lol its just freaking annoying force march have large reinforcement zone.

Look if you're worrying about the AI is going to act, wait and see what they actually do.

Chaos warriors have to stay far apart to avoid the attrition, so no more 6 full stacks of death running around together (the huns in attila).

The big threat is Orcs getting Waaagh armies, but if they lose battles then they take attrition.

Look, if u want walls, build them in any/all settlements. Looks like there won't be forts (thank god! Or Sigmar, I should say), or town battles, but we do get other things!

There is the big dramatic sieges, theres subterranean battles, theres land battles, quest battles... I mean this can be super fun guys.

Also, I think people don't realise how impactful magic is going to be in adding replayability. It's this whole other thing that you can use to enhance your battlefield strategy.

Anyway, fighting a battle in a town was so silly in Attila. Far too easy! Tier 2/3 settlements without walls could easily defend themselves against 2 full stacks.

Stop playing on easy mode (having town battles) and get to the good stuff

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    That removes all the satisfaction completely. You click 'demand surrender' and then automatically get the settlement? That just seems so anti-climatic to me. It would be even worse than auto-resolve for me, personally.
    Then don't demand surrender?

"the lets be honest" comments here ignore that sieges worked fine and were one of the most fun components of their games until SEGA took over. Since SEGA took over ALL the complaints you guys have with 'settlements' came about as a consequence of them trying to reduce AI issues without working on AI. So they've worked themselves down to a nub in terms of variety because you guys are okay with 'less' because it works better.

News flash people, It used to work fine and could do again.

But ... most of you people registered on this forum at LEAST 5 years later then me so really what is your experience? Long term experience, or even mod experience? I founded DAC, worked in depth on DLV, and spent many many hours contributing to RTR. My experience is nearly without par and I qualitatively know what I'm talking about. (People who have only modded since ETW for example have little to no experience in the matters I'm talking about) - there is a reason why Darth stopped modding here, and it wasn't just because a large amount of people being ungrateful s (though that certainly has increased here)

The rest of you are accepting worse because you just don't know better.

Markas is ignoring that M2TW WAS a sega product, and a lot of the issues there come about as a consequence of that buy out. A LOT of the mechanics in that game were half formed because they were being designed PRIOR to the SEGA buyout. AFTER that, the AI work stopped completely, so M2TW is like a mix between Rome Total War (with awesome sieges) and Rome 2 (with the worst sieges - outside of ETW).
    Last edited by Renown; May 21, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

The sieges in this game look far more interesting and challenging than any TW siege to date. A lot of people agree. Deal with it

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

If not only for planetary range towers and magical ladders...
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Honestly, I like it. The smaller battles were always...meh to me to be entirely honest. Sometimes they were fun, most times they were pretty much just a pain in the ass.

I agree, good decision but as usual, TWC will say how they are dumbing down the game and how stupid the decision was.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Artorius View Post
    Then don't demand surrender?
    I'd rather be able to play a field battle.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast