Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Next total war game?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Next total war game?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrin View Post
    Veeeery interesting I mean, there were not one, but two "probably"s in that sentence, but I guess this means it's fair to exclude all the following from being the next historical game:

- WWI
    - WWII
    - Medieval III
    - Prehistory
    - Vikings (and obviously anything in Attila's time period)
    - War of the Roses (and therefore any of Europe in Late Middle Ages?)
    - American Civil War (so possibly no "Victoria" title?)

As art director, he will be pretty heavily immersed in concept art for the next historical, so it's very unlikely he'd name the game he's currently working on. So I'd say that is quite a reliable list of eliminations, all in all.

So, what does that leave, then? Renaissance is the big one, to my mind. Or China.
    Don't assume his mention of ACW eliminates Victoria -- I think that's what we're actually getting next, a global Vicky (and ACW/Bismark/Zulu-Boer/Boxer Rebellion/campaign dlc). What I didn't like hearing was that there was a historical team "starting to develop some new stuff." Sounds like it's years off....I can't believe they've prioritized fantasy so much over their bread and butter. They also lied when they said WH wouldn't have an impact on the release schedule of historical TW games -- not that I trusted them ever anyway. Cash is King!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Veeeery interesting I mean, there were not one, but two "probably"s in that sentence, but I guess this means it's fair to exclude all the following from being the next historical game:

- WWI
    - WWII
    - Medieval III
    - Prehistory
    - Vikings (and obviously anything in Attila's time period)
    - War of the Roses (and therefore any of Europe in Late Middle Ages?)
    - American Civil War (so possibly no "Victoria" title?)

As art director, he will be pretty heavily immersed in concept art for the next historical, so it's very unlikely he'd name the game he's currently working on. So I'd say that is quite a reliable list of eliminations, all in all.

So, what does that leave, then? Renaissance is the big one, to my mind. Or China.
    Two best known options for me.

1. The known (US/EU) market will be Empire 2.

2. The unknown but huge market will be China. There are more pc gamers from China that EU alone. CA need to tap into that huge potential market.

I should imagine we get an annoucement sometime during the 3rd warhammer game. No bad thing in itself to take their time over the next historical title. Though that can be as much a curse as a blessing with feature creep and deadlines being deadlines whoever far they are in the future. If they are ever going to do an Empire 2 to match the scale and polish of Europa Universalis I hope their project management skills are on top form.

Empire 2 (if its ever going to be called that) but set in which time period?

Hold on to your tricornes as we head back again to the 18th century... or hold on to your sideburns as we visit the 19th century?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    I should imagine we get an annoucement sometime during the 3rd warhammer game. No bad thing in itself to take their time over the next historical title. Though that can be as much a curse as a blessing with feature creep and deadlines being deadlines whoever far they are in the future. If they are ever going to do an Empire 2 to match the scale and polish of Europa Universalis I hope their project management skills are on top form.

Empire 2 (if its ever going to be called that) but set in which time period?

Hold on to your tricornes as we head back again to the 18th century... or hold on to your sideburns as we visit the 19th century?
    Probably they'll announce something in the next gaming event or convention.

Empire seems to have sold very well and there is sizeable interest in it. Personally I found it the worst TW game until pre-Emperor edition Rome II but it did have some interesting concepts. I doubt it would be a game I'd buy quickly but probably many people would. If it was a Renaissance game I'd buy in the first month or possibly sooner and probably the same for Rise of Islam or Warring Kingdoms China but not much else that I can think of. Warhammer will be enough of this sort of game for awhile- only so many hours in the day and I still want to play a few other genres.

I want knights in shining armor, nuff said.

In all seriousness i want something that's still around the medieval period, but to be honest i don't care that much about where, or what era total war takes place in.
    I care about the mechanics. I want things like pushing, like more advanced combat...
    Not this total war after total war cloning that we're getting. You can say warhammer is diferent thousand times, but at its core its no diferent than past total wars. I want them to increase depth and make their next game more filled out, with new mechanics

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Two best known options for me.

1. The known (US/EU) market will be Empire 2.

2. The unknown but huge market will be China. There are more pc gamers from China that EU alone. CA need to tap into that huge potential market.
    BAD idea. Movie studios already cater to the Chinese market by censoring anything that might offend the Chinese government. We don't need to do that with video games too.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4 View Post
    BAD idea. Movie studios already cater to the Chinese market by censoring anything that might offend the Chinese government. We don't need to do that with video games too.
    Movie studios nowadays are actually getting Chinese actors in many blockbuster movie to tap into that huge market.

Never a bad idea to tap into an untap market and to be truly global and not US/EU centric.

https://steamspy.com/country/CN
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/growi...eNoSplash=true
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I also think that we will probably see Medieval. Made a little video with my thoughts and ideas. Hope you guys will like it. Would love to hear your comments on it. Thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlxwjVGLsI

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Renaissance would have more shining fancy armor, more big famous battles, more religius wars, more big factions and more intricate politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Renaissance would have more shining fancy armor, more big famous battles, more religius wars, more big factions and more intricate politics.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Movie studios nowadays are actually getting Chinese actors in many blockbuster movie to tap into that huge market.

Never a bad idea to tap into an untap market and to be truly global and not US/EU centric.
    The problem is stories get rewritten specifically to cater to Chinese audiences. The Chinese censors allow 34 foreign movies in Chinese cinemas every year. If a studio wants to tap into that market, their movie cannot criticize the Chinese government in any way. It cannot have Tibetan protagonists. Unless the rest of the characters are Chinese, the villain absolutely cannot be Chinese. And it can't have any ghosts, zombies, or supernatural elements because occultism is superstitious and counter-revolutionary.

I don't want similar restrictions in video games.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4 View Post
    The problem is stories get rewritten specifically to cater to Chinese audiences. The Chinese censors allow 34 foreign movies in Chinese cinemas every year. If a studio wants to tap into that market, their movie cannot criticize the Chinese government in any way. It cannot have Tibetan protagonists. Unless the rest of the characters are Chinese, the villain absolutely cannot be Chinese. And it can't have any ghosts, zombies, or supernatural elements because occultism is superstitious and counter-revolutionary.

I don't want similar restrictions in video games.
    Just as well none of this sounds like it would effect a historical game set in China, then

Me likey

Just as well none of this sounds like it would effect a historical game set in China, then
    You might want to google up "Hearts of Irons" "China" and "banned" for example

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

"Set in China" as opposed to "sold in China". I'd prefer a Reneissance game, but it's not like a game set in China wouldn't sell.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

The only thing may set it back it whether a Japanese company (SEGA) would want to make a game about China. There's a lot of discussion along those line during Shogun 2 as why Korean Invasion mini campaign wouldn't happened.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Probably would not buy it unless it offered something quite new to the TW franchise mechanics-wise. The China setting dosent intrest me much(partially beacuse I know nothing about it and its not really relatable for me)

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Probably would not buy it unless it offered something quite new to the TW franchise mechanics-wise. The China setting dosent intrest me much(partially beacuse I know nothing about it and its not really relatable for me)
    I'm not related to ancient or modern europeans, american, japanese, chinese or even dwarvish, yet I own all TW games.

Hey folks! Just wanted to chime in. I, personally, would really love a Medieval III. The Middle Ages is my favorite period and I just reinstalled MedII and played it for a few hours and then realized how dated it is. Seriously, I would go for a Medieval resin for Rome II so I could play a Medieval campaign with a much more modern set of mechanics. All of your ideas sound really neat, but I'm just hoping CA would return to the age of castles. Thanks!