Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Next total war game?

Default Re: Next total war game?

For me TW games should always be set in Europe. It has the most interesting story. I could make an exception for a ACW game or a victorian age setting (which could include the colonies outside europe) but anything else is just not interesting enough.... for me at least. North America Asia and China are 2 examples. Shogun was pretty good but really boring. But lets face it you cant go wrong with 14th-17th century europe.

Why is this thread in the Total War: Warhammer section? It seems off topic...

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by jahjeremy View Post
    There's always a 'what's the next TW game?' In every current TW threads.

Now, back on topic.... So, what else besides Europe and China?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    For me TW games should always be set in Europe. It has the most interesting story. I could make an exception for a ACW game or a victorian age setting (which could include the colonies outside europe) but anything else is just not interesting enough.... for me at least. North America Asia and China are 2 examples. Shogun was pretty good but really boring. But lets face it you cant go wrong with 14th-17th century europe.
    I don't say that Europe did not have interesting history. However, history shows that European have greater history when they ventured out of Europe. Alexander wouldn't be the Great if he went west instead of east. Rome would not become an Empire if they to fighting the Gauls in the north. Medeival period would be so and so only without Crusaders ventured to the east. Modern Europe would not be great today if they did not explore and take colonies all over the world.

It hows that within Europe itself is pretty boring and that's why your ancestors came to my ancestor's land instead if the other way around.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by jahjeremy View Post
    Perhaps, except the next total war game is probably Warhammer, Part 2
    Last edited by Huberto; October 27, 2016 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    It hows that within Europe itself is pretty boring and that's why your ancestors came to my ancestor's land instead if the other way around.
    The nice and sunny weather may have had a role in this, too

I dont know why people are still telling that Medieval 3 is the next big thing.

However, many many times the developper/CA has said that they will not release a THIRD installment of a already released time period.
    SO: No Rome 3 (thank god), no Medieval 3, no Shogun 3.

My guess
    The next big historical Total War game will be World War 1.
    (Steam tanks = old ww1 tanks, Gyrocopters = airplanes, musketeers = soldiers with rifles, ...)

WW1 would be kinda perfect to make a game out of it.
    Look at BF1. It crushes CoD on every aspect. CoD will be good for a few days, BF1 will be big monhts after release.

Only in the Western front you had a trench war/Stalemate between Germany and France/Belgium.
    In the East you had an movement war of the ottoman empire and other states, and you also had cav war on the Russian plains.

Also: CA is an UK studio. Payed by french investors.
    UK and France had a big roll in WW1.
    AND they have all the knowledge (musea's/massive documentary-movies of that era of war, ...) and it is now 100 y old war. Nice PR stunt.
    To announce it on 11/11 2017 and release it somewhere in the end of 2018. (end of WW1, 100 y after the peace signing)
    Imagine the coverage the game would get in the media. It would be a marketing gold mine.

Also China war will not happen.
    Its kinda boring to play in. A lot of copy paste warfare models/warfare.
    And the Total War Franchise is more popular in EU than in China/japan/USA.
    Shogun2 was fun to play, but in terms of creativity it was pretty boring also. Everybody had the same army, just little tweaks with the stats.

but to be clear, i would like to have Medieval 3 yes.
    But i'm smart enough to know that this will not happen in the near future.
    Last edited by EternalSilence; November 05, 2016 at 04:54 AM.

What about ANCIENT or a ANATOLIAN or MEZOPOTAMIAN Total War since mesopotamia was the craddle of civilizations? If it is to be taken seriously there is a huge potential.

Check this out there were ancestors of Greeks persians eagyptians armenians turks and much more little civs living in at same time fighting each othet while exploring world by their own ways of thinking that was a brutal and mythical time period which i find very intresting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ancient_Orient.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...es_of_Anatolia

http://realhistoryww.com/world_histo...a_Turkey_2.htm

Spoiler for images

Last edited by Frunk; November 05, 2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Spoiler added.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhepnon View Post
    What about ANCIENT or a ANATOLIAN or MEZOPOTAMIAN Total War since mesopotamia was the craddle of civilizations? If it is to be taken seriously there is a huge potential.

Check this out there were ancestors of Greeks persians eagyptians armenians turks and much more little civs living in at same time fighting each othet while exploring world by their own ways of thinking that was a brutal and mythical time period which i find very intresting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ancient_Orient.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...es_of_Anatolia

http://realhistoryww.com/world_histo...a_Turkey_2.htm

Spoiler for images

I was also thinking of this period, the Hittites sound interesting, but the troop types of the various nations I think may be a little dull?

Actually, almost each historical period and part of the world would be good but, for God's sake, on a new Engine!!

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSilence View Post

Also: CA is an UK studio. Payed by french investors.
    UK and France had a big roll in WW1.
    AND they have all the knowledge (musea's/massive documentary-movies of that era of war, ...) and it is now 100 y old war. Nice PR stunt.
    To announce it on 11/11 2017 and release it somewhere in the end of 2018. (end of WW1, 100 y after the peace signing)
    Imagine the coverage the game would get in the media. It would be a marketing gold mine.
    Yep, exactly these reasons that made me think a WWI might be on the cards for the next historical. But due to gameplay considerations (which are a completely different kettle of fish in RTS/turn-based games than they are in FPS titles like BF1 and CoD) I still think it's a long shot. Plus what Kevin McDowell said in that interview linked last page.

I would love to see em have a go at a WWI game, but Renaissance is still crying out as the missing link in the series and much more in the same vein as previous TW games.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

A WWI game would be rather difficult to make or play. The initial years would be relatively easy to recreate, but what about the small squad tactics developed later? Commandos in the trenches? And how would trenches work in the first place? And aircraft? Or how would machineguns work? Then you'd need to model logistics, since supply and attrition were sort of the entire point of the war on the Western front.

I don't know. I'd love it, but it doesn't seem like a Total War game. Victorian era seems more likely, since they're already done it basically with FOTS. You could have a bit of small scale trench warfare in the late game, but not spanning a continent. You'd have some early machine guns, but they would be a rare late game tech and properly dangerous. Some aircraft could be agents on the campaign map, that can show up in battles like in Warhammer, maybe to drop some bombs? Perhaps an expansion could move it into WWI, but I'd like some practice in the industrial age first, as Im not sure I trust them just going right into modern wars.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Is their a already popular The Great War mod for a Total War game?

But yeah, other periods would probably be much more fun to play in a TBS/RTS perspective.

Martin Luther 1517 to the peace of Westphalia 1648. The most violent and destructive period in European history. Wars of religion, rise of the Ottoman Empire and European colonization. The weapons, Armour and fashions were incredibly diverse and interesting.

Clearly the best choice and not covered yet.

Matamoros's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by hospitaller13 View Post
    Martin Luther 1517 to the peace of Westphalia 1648. The most violent and destructive period in European history. Wars of religion, rise of the Ottoman Empire and European colonization. The weapons, Armour and fashions were incredibly diverse and interesting.

EXACTLY
    Nuestra Señora de Las Mercedes ha resurgido del fondo del océano para concluir su viaje.
    200 a
    ños después los piratas pierden. El oro vuelve a España. Misión cumplida.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

I said that in another topic. Please give me a Total War set in the Renaissance era from 1500s to 1680s. That period is full of conflicts and wars: Battle of Pavia, Siege of Vienna, Battle of Lepanto, French Religious Wars, Thirty Years War, ... Besides, would be an extraordinary balance between melee combat and firing weapons with drum marches. I am now reading the book Fighting Techniques of the Early Modern World 1500-1763 by Christer Jorgensen and I am completely astonished about the warfare of this era.

Victoria Total War would be another excellent addition. Maybe there is no need to have more than 6,000 units in battle and can cover more than european warfare.

CenturionMBT24's Avatar Laetus
    Central region of the Commonwealth of Virginia

Ok the points about the publisher and business and funding make sense, but if you want to branch out to new markets don't you make something for that market you're not as popular in? So don't take China out just yet. The goal of CA is to get a larger market. And the Chinese market is huge, although CA would have to compete with WoW, which could be why they made Warhammer, I dunno. Although I really do want to see medieval 3 with current gen graphics, or I would take an HD re-release, Bethesda did it fast with Skyrim, no reason why CA cant do it too. An Empire 2 wold be nice with better campaign AI and a diplomacy in line with Rome 2.

Finally please no paradox style play, keep it turn-based. I really just cant figure those games out. If I wanted a Europa Universalis experience I wouldnt be playing total war. Total War has its Niche and Paradox has its niche. No need to migrate too far.

Oh yes it would be a perfect timeperiod for a TW title! And dont forget the colonization of America

Hello there, I think an true global empire would be a good game... As people said, China alone would be boring... A strong point of total war games is the fact that you can take an underdog nation, and make it big, so creating an true world wide empire, going from de 1600's to the late 1800's, encompassing the formation of the European nations, and their rise into true empires, the american wars of independence, and the formation of the states like the US, Brazil, and the wars like the mexican-american, and the paraguay wars, the colonization of africa, the slavery trade and crackdown that led to the end of the Brazilian Empire and the US civil war, all of it sandboxed, allowing all kinds of mayhem to happen... This allows a huge and epic campaign, many wars and a long tech tree to research. Maybe allow us to side with the rebels on their independence, like Pedro I sided with Brazil on it's independence. Maybe a better political engine to deal with parties and interest groups...

It would allow a nice cadence from Rome to Medieval to Empire, let space to an eventual World Wars game in the future...

when the next historical game is released we can look back at this thread and have a damm good chuckle...