Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Next total war game?

Default Re: Next total war game?

What I want:

Rise and Fall: Total War. Starting just before the fall of Nineveh (612 BC) with playable factions ranging from the Assyrians and the Egyptians to the Massagetae and the Medians, with Cyrus' I Persia patiently waiting for the appropriate timing. Map preferably extending from Eastern Balkans to Indus. Not a chance we will ever get or mod it, though, judging by the period's popularity and CA games' past modability (both lacking).

What we will get:

Knights: Total War

Release date: Early 2019

Starting in-game date: 1189 (3rd Crusade) Ending in-game date:1453 (End of the 100 years War and extinction of the Byzantine Empire).
    1 year per turn, almost exactly the same number of tunrs with those of Rome II.

Map: From Oman and Samarkand to Morocco and Ireland.

Playable factions: 1. Abbasid Caliphate, 2. Ayyubid Sultanate, 3. Byzantine Empire, 4. Holy Roman Empire, 5. Venice, 6. Castile, 7. France, 8. England.

Pre-order DLC: Warriors of Faith*!!!:

1. Kingdom of Jerusalem, 2. Principalty of Antioch, 3. Assassins (99% copied from Assassin's Creed).

*Unit DLC including Hospitaller, Templar and Teuton knights sold separately, 6 months after the game's release. Promotional pic: Teutonic Order knight with horned helmet during a dark, snowy battle.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee786 View Post
    Very interesting. Sounds like they are within 6 months or so of announcing this. It has to be one of the following three 1.) China/Asia 2.) 19th Century/Victoria or 3.) Renaissance/Age of Discovery. I'd be fine with any of these, and more, as long as it's historically authentic.

A new, untouched era, I am fine with it.
    I personally would love a Victorian era game, but China would be interesting, too.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Very interesting. So the likely possibilities are:

Ancient Near East
    Ancient/Medieval China (Three Kingdoms?)
    Renaissance/Early Colonial period
    Victorian
    Modern warfare
    Future warfare

To be honest, the Renaissance and early colonial period has already been covered to some extent by the Americas campaign in Med 2, plus we have only a 150 year period between that and Empire, which is not really a 'new' era, it's just an earlier start date for an Empire 2. So I think we can discount that. Modern and future warfare are possible given the fact that we are coming from a fantasy, a major change in gameplay dynamics for a historical gaming series, so maybe we could see another one. But still, I think modern warfare is a little too difficult to imagine on any kind of TW engine. And a future TW far enough ahead that warfare has deviated significantly from the present time would require a whole new mythos, which is not really TW's style, they might as well just use Warhammer 40,000. And I don't get the feeling 'a new era' refers to another collaboration with Warhammer.

China and Ancient Near East are possible, but rather niche for an American/European audience. Three Kingdoms has certainly been done very successfully in Western countries, see Dynasty Warriors and Kessen II and other similar games, but still, I think that's infringing on Koei's territory.

So I think we're going to see an official Victoria: Total War (sorry Tango12345, if you're reading ). Scramble for Africa should be fun, what with the recent addition of battlefield wildlife. Should lead to some great screenshots, Zulus charging a group of Highlanders with a herd of wildebeest and elephants in the background.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; November 18, 2016 at 09:20 AM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Plus, they could use the whole "empty" provinces for the areas of Africa where there wasn't a large enough organised community to make a faction. So you can settle those provinces with armies.
    Obviously a better colonial mechanic would be preferred but I can put up with using half an army's manpower to "colonise" a province.

I hope one day they release Rome 3, and not make it a complete mess like Rome 2 was upon release. One can only dream...

I for one, am hoping they gonna make a new gaming engine, that can focus on melee combat, and horse charges.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

I have a feeling its going to be set in WW1 or WW2.

I mean they've just introduced flying units and tanks into total war, i feel that they wont just throw that away after using them in a single game. They'll probably use a slightly updated warhammer engine instead of making a new one.

This is CA after all
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I have a feeling its going to be set in WW1 or WW2.

I mean they've just introduced flying units and tanks into total war, i feel that they wont just throw that away after using them in a single game. They'll probably use a slightly updated warhammer engine instead of making a new one.

This is CA after all
    Yeah, I thought the same thing after Fall of the Samurai, when they introduced railroads, Gatling Guns, naval bombardment, and ironclads, but then they just made Rome II.

So who knows what they're going to do?
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

The Victorian Age would be a great seller to me!

Sooo much going on in that age.

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

Can we have full stack battles that aren't over in 5-6 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Artorius View Post
    Can we have full stack battles that aren't over in 5-6 minutes?
    Damn straight

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II
    plus we have only a 150 year period between that and Empire, which is not really a 'new' era, it's just an earlier start date for an Empire 2
    I couldn't disagree more. They are, in my opinion, completely different periods with very distinct vibe, atmosphere and warfare. Besides, the game does not necessarily need to start right after Medieval 2, it's ok if they overlap a bit (and to be honest, the depiction of the Renaissance warfare in Medieval 2 was really lackluster).

To me the dream game would start right before the fall of Constantinople (so you'd have nice alternate history scenarios like keeping the Byzantines, the Spanish Muslims or the Burgundians alive well into the modern era) and go all the way up to the death of Louis XIV, but since I find that unlikely (don't think CA would go as far as to invent a complete set of modern "fantasy" units for Byzantines or western muslims, having as well to deal with a much bigger transition from Medieval to Modern Europe) then I guess that roughly the 200 years between 1500 and 1700 would make me happy enough.

Actually, if you don't count the 20th century, I believe that those 200 years are the most different and unique period CA could tackle right now unless they focus in some unexplored eastern theme. Anything pre-Rome would be probably too similar to Rome, anything between Charlemagne and Medieval 2 would essentially be too similar to Charlemagne, and the XIX century would be too similar to Napoleon. But we are yet to see a proper depiction of Pike and Shot warfare.º1

I don't think Warhammer's air units alone justify a 20th century warfare game, since they would need a much, much, much better air system to depict WW1 or WW2 planes reasonably. The current model is really barebones, essentially just ground units in an upper invisible ground layer. It's essentially a cheap workaround lacking any kind of ambition.

They are far from reaching flying system which equal those of games like old Ground Control or maybe Wargame, although they'd always have the option to do it with the "ordered airstrike" system of games like World in Conflict or Company of Heroes (which I think is the best option for this kind of game. World in Conflict in particular nailed it).

Made a small video on the topic. Hope you guys will enjoy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrqkpyIJW8
    I was hoping that Medieval III is next, but now turned my focus to Pike and shot. :-)

General Dithrick's Avatar Libertus
    Fort Collins. The most unknown place you'll never hear about.

Most logical choice
    "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers."
    ~José Narosky

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

After the not so good make of Rome 2 the CA should concentrate on what it made best. Use it again,improving on it. Take the best map so far - of ETW, enlarge it, put cities like in Europa Barbaroorum, with local amenities, with typical terrain, fortresses and some cases cities. For example "Imperial Glory" had a battle map on the campaign the Tower of London, Austria - Hofburg etc. This will really make a game realistic and interesting. Make them moddable so that people can enlarge or correct them. It can start in 1750 and end before WWI. So you could have everything inside - sail ships, steam frigates, ironclads, river warfare american style with monitors, can be an episode for the Amer Civ War, a Victorian campaign, a Bourbon Restoration Campaign, Ottoman campaign with the latest uniforms, can come in even ships like Drednaught at the end of the period. Will all function well because most of these things are already tested. The CA owes it to europeans a european style campaign better than Shogun 2 on the World map with more provinces.

I would kill for a Renaissance-era Total War game that included the conquest of Meso- and South America.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Kassandros View Post
    I would kill for a Renaissance-era Total War game that included the conquest of Meso- and South America.
    That was the Kingdoms for M2TW about, expanded with mods. Unfortunately both didn't do good job, neither CA nor the mods about it. There were wonderfull mezo-american cities with pyramids, enermous and beautifull, but the cities never grew to construct them, lucky there was at least one on the map to see what a pleasure it would have been if the game worked. Then in the mods who added more cities and provinces, which also didn't grow to show these buildings, there was the temperate climate without the jungles introduced in Kingdoms ... Otherwise the local soldiers were good, maybe they won't even make better, which can't be said of arquebusiers. Overwall a big fall down when such things in other games had been corrected, none pausing a problem. Guess there weren't modders enough interested to do the job.

Point being that sometimes refinement works better than a new game, if they released a patch for these things, would be better than such game in R2 style with ships, where perhaps again nothing would be in its place and working as it should, so people will start instead playing it desiring another new game ...
    Last edited by Dracula; November 22, 2016 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    That was the Kingdoms for M2TW about, expanded with mods. Unfortunately both didn't do good job, neither CA nor the mods about it. ...
    I dare to disagree - in my opinion, the Kingdoms Expansion was one of the best in the TW series. To me, it had very much flavour and Immersion in most of the four campaigns (America, Crusades and Baltic, with the British campaign being the weaker part, albeit not bad too).