Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Next total war game?

Default Re: Next total war game?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    I dare to disagree - in my opinion, the Kingdoms Expansion was one of the best in the TW series. To me, it had very much flavour and Immersion in most of the four campaigns (America, Crusades and Baltic, with the British campaign being the weaker part, albeit not bad too).
    Agreed. I have spent more time with that expansion then any other TW game in the series. Each of the campaigns just have a different and unique quality to them that make them even more entertaining then the main campaign or in almost any main campaign I have played in the TW series.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    Agreed. I have spent more time with that expansion then any other TW game in the series. Each of the campaigns just have a different and unique quality to them that make them even more entertaining then the main campaign or in almost any main campaign I have played in the TW series.
    And the Americas Campaign ?! What exactly did you enjoy in it ? And Kraut too.
    Last edited by Dracula; November 25, 2016 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Oh I don't know, maybe actually being able to play as the Aztecs in a campaign for one? Maybe actually having a fully explored new world with more then one faction instead of just one that comes too late in the campaign to fully enjoy with only one faction? Maybe how playing the Spanish is completely different with you having stronger but heavily outnumbered armies that need to relay on mercenaries to even the odds and how the campaign in based on you expanding to grow your cities and get better units? Maybe how the Native tribes to the north are unique in how they start off more technologically weaker then any of the other factions only to improve by taking the technology from their enemies?

Maybe.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

If they're going to do another victorian era, or whatever era that involves huge battalions with muskets as their primary weapon. They'd better make sure the gameplay is better than Darth's Ultimate General Civil War. I'm sure graphics wouldn't be a problem for CA but as for gameplay, specifically from battle gameplay, they are all (Napoleon, Empire) just stagnant and lacks creativity if you compare it to Ultimate General's musket battles. And don't get me started with horrible AI on CA's part

Make it happen CA, stop giving us more polygons and give us more content and true gameplays.

China or some other area with interesting military history needs it's own game. I'm tired of all the eurocentric titles. No medieval. Let the MKTW team do that. No Empire. Please no Empire. No colonization, bad taste. American Conquest was the last game to do that. Honestly, TW is exhausted. Please stop making games.
    [signature]

Like NostalgiaFan, I enjoyed first and foremost playing the Aztecs or Mayans. The native factions in the Americas offered a lot of flavour and Immersion, and we only had gotten a very small glimpse of America in the M2TW main campaign. I always had the feeling "this could have been more, would be interesting", and then Kingsdoms was released - just right for me.
    But the native factions wasn´t the end, I also enjoyed playing New Spain, because the experience and Play style was VERY different to the Spanish in the main campaign. As said, very small armies relying on technological superiority against enemies that massively outnumber them.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

None of you had played Americas campaign. Factions didn't expand, didn't construct buildings and remained at villages level. Especially the appacheans, and to speak of technologies ... While the mezoamerican pyramid structures were never built by the amer factions in Kingdoms. You went there and saw a village european style wooden fence with huts. Could see proper pyramidal buildings only on one custom battle. So to recapitulate, there was no immersion in campaign. Plus I tried and gave money to all, millions to each faction from the start, they still constructed ....nothing. It was a total failure of a game. Not to speak of the fewbseconds duration battle. Plus at that time arquebusiers and hand gunners were still not improved by modders, so it was totally pointless to play, just with "sword and buckler men". The natives looked good, and that was a pity, one element only doesnt make a game playable. I wish people would speak less nonsense and fantasies in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by WAR monger View Post
    China or some other area with interesting military history needs it's own game. I'm tired of all the eurocentric titles. No medieval. Let the MKTW team do that. No Empire. Please no Empire. No colonization, bad taste. American Conquest was the last game to do that. Honestly, TW is exhausted. Please stop making games.
    China with one and the same units for millenia would be very interesting title ... Though not to do anything is even a worse proposition.
    Last edited by Dracula; December 01, 2016 at 02:12 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

None of you had played Americas campaign. Factions didn't expand, didn't construct buildings and remained at villages level. Especially the appacheans, and to speak of technologies ... While the mezoamerican pyramid structures were never built by the amer factions in Kingdoms. You went there and saw a village european style wooden fence with huts. Could see proper pyramidal buildings only on one custom battle. So to recapitulate, there was no immersion in campaign. Plus I tried and gave money to all, millions to each faction from the start, they still constructed ....nothing. It was a total failure of a game. Not to speak of the fewbseconds duration battle. Plus at that time arquebusiers and hand gunners were still not improved by modders, so it was totally pointless to play, just with "sword and buckler men". The natives looked good, and that was a pity, one element only doesnt make a game playable. I wish people would speak less nonsense and fantasies in this forum.

China with one and the same units for millenia would be very interesting title ... Though not to do anything is even a worse proposition.
    Apperantly we played two different MTW2 kingdoms games. Beacuse i quite vividly remember pyramids and getting hundreds of kills with my arquebusiers.

Anyway yeah I wanna win the 30 years war and fight back the Ottomans on land and sea. Rennisance all the way.

Siege of Malta for historical battle.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 01, 2016 at 07:04 AM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

The True beauty of Sandbox games

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Apperantly we played two different MTW2 kingdoms games. Beacuse i quite vividly remember pyramids and getting hundreds of kills with my arquebusiers.
    Yep I liked it, best expansion they ever did imho, four very different feeling campaigns, each with their immersion.

None of you had played Americas campaign.
    I would rather guess something went wrong with the game you played - whatever that was.

My guesses:
    Pike and shot including English civil war
    American civil war
    World war 1
    China total war
    Victoria total war

Having now seen that warhammer total war units are fleshed out still when zoomed again although they still to work on making them feel heavy. I am looking forward to the next total war. However I would like the total war campaign engine and battle features enhanced and improved not dumbed down with restrictive fanciful made uo mechanics for the ai's sake.
    Oh and we still don't have historical units, we still have to recruit units with the same weapons even when historically they were mixed.
    Last edited by Destraex; December 10, 2016 at 07:17 AM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

After the not so good make of Rome 2 the CA should concentrate on what it made best. Use it again,improving on it. Take the best map so far - of ETW, enlarge it, put cities like in Europa Barbaroorum, with local amenities, with typical terrain, fortresses and some cases cities. For example "Imperial Glory" had a battle map on the campaign the Tower of London, Austria - Hofburg etc. This will really make a game realistic and interesting. Make them moddable so that people can enlarge or correct them. It can start in 1750 and end before WWI. So you could have everything inside - sail ships, steam frigates, ironclads, river warfare american style with monitors, can be an episode for the Amer Civ War, a Victorian campaign, a Bourbon Restoration Campaign, Ottoman campaign with the latest uniforms, can come in even ships like Drednaught at the end of the period. Will all function well because most of these things are already tested. The CA owes it to europeans a european style campaign better than Shogun 2 on the World map with more provinces.
    In my opinion the empire map was the worst we got so far. The idea with several scenarios was really nice, but the single maps where to small and had not enough locations. France for example being only once province + Elsass and Belgium was a horrible choice. Also they did start to limit the citybuilding choices with that stupid slotsystem. Yes it does make it more tactical, but at least in single player that was never the first criteria. How i loved even Vanilla-Rome when you could build so many buildings even after a 100 turns. In the most recent titles i have upgraded everything and have the best units by turn 100. The games get way shorter by now. Some mods try to work against it with having more turns per year, but it's solved over longer building times. I really blame the empire concept for that direction. It was also the first game that used a hard-coded worldmap and therefore limits the creation of some of the coolest mods we got before, where you had to create hole new continents.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

In Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...nt-tackled-yet) the say that it is "an era we haven't tackled yet."

That then excludes a lot of eras. No roman, medieval, empire/napolionic eras. Also when they say it won't be a medieval game, does that also exclude a game set in medieval China?

I expect a pike and shot game or a game in the Victorian era. Mostly because of the units they already have in Warhammer. An alternatice could be something ancient with Babylonians etc.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    Have CA announced anywhere what their plans are for the total war series?
    They have announced the projects they are currently working on and those are:

1) Total War: Arena, which is being developed by the "Arena Team"

2) Total War Battles: Kingdoms, which is being developed by the "Digital Team"

3) Unannounced historical Total War title, which is being developed by the "Historical Team"

4) Total War: Warhammer DLCs, which are being developed by the "New Content Team"

and

5) the second part of the Total War: Warhammer trilogy, which is being developed by the "Warhammer Team"

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    I know warhammer is the 1st part of a trilogy of warhammer titles but are their plans either

1 - release warhammer titles annually for the next 2 years
    2 - release warhammer and historical titles alternately every year
    3 - release both a warhammer and a historical title for each of the next 2 years

Anyone know?

as much as im enjoying warhammer as a refreshing change I definitely still prefer historical titles.
    They have announced that the historical title will not be released for at least a couple of years, that it's still in pre-production and that it'll be some time before they are even able to share anything more specific about it. They have also said that work on the Warhammer sequel has now been well underway for a while.

All this information (and by taking into consideration the projects they're currently working on) basically tells us that the next main title in the franchise will probably be the Warhammer sequel. After that though, who knows if they'll go for the third Warhammer one or the historical one? We'll see. It'll probably depend on how long it'll take them to release the Warhammer sequel, I guess.
    Last edited by perifanosEllinas; December 11, 2016 at 05:43 PM.

Green_Jacket's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by billydilly View Post
    In Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...nt-tackled-yet) the say that it is "an era we haven't tackled yet."

That then excludes a lot of eras. No roman, medieval, empire/napolionic eras. Also when they say it won't be a medieval game, does that also exclude a game set in medieval China?

I expect a pike and shot game or a game in the Victorian era. Mostly because of the units they already have in Warhammer. An alternatice could be something ancient with Babylonians etc.
    Well the main three candidates are the Pre-Hellenistic Era, Pike & Shot and the Victorian era up until WW1ish. However technically pike and shot has already been done in three TW games (albeit not the era) and the victorian era with that style combat (on both land and sea) was done in the Fall of the Samurai DLC.

I think Pike and Shot it potentially the strongest candidate. However if CA really wanted to surprise people, invest in a new engine and make a massive effort I would imagine they may try a WW1-WW2 total war seeing apart from the American civil war era they define the whole concept of 'Total war'.

My wish personally though would be 1600 running all the way to early 1900's although I think that's wishing for too much. Also a Victorian era game would finally allow an American Civil war DLC people have been wishing for since the series started.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe"

I also anticipate either Renaissance/something 30 years war, which was extremely massive and one of the largest wars in history so it has alot of potential for a rich game. Other than that the 2nd strongest candidate is something Victorian era, including the American civil war.

duerker von eden's Avatar Tiro

Seeing steam tanks and gyrocopters in Warhammer total war proving Vehicles and flying units can be done plus the Ironclads from FOTS, i think they could pull off a Steampunk Total war if they try hard enough.
    "No matter how fast you run the past will always find a short cut"

Deurker 2014

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

This thread has been replaced by this one.

Locked.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789