Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER. What factions are waiting for us - information leak about the upcoming DLC and addons

Default Re: Total War: WARHAMMER. What factions are waiting for us - information leak about the upcoming DLC and addons

I think wood elves should have a way to teleport to a forest region, in the same way that dwarfs/orcs use underway (with more range, but only if the destination is a forest)

Beastmen don't need this, because they would be a horde and could migrate to wherever they feel like.

I definitely think that beastmen + wood elves should also have an encamp + ambush stance, to allow replenishment, recruitment, and ambushing all at the same time.

Default Re: Total War: WARHAMMER. What factions are waiting for us - information leak about the upcoming DLC and addons

I like the idea of Wood Elves' dominant mechanic is the spreading a type of "Forest Corruption", maybe called "Power of the woods" or something, allowing them to spread out their forests and settlements among various regions on a map. Here are some thoughts:
    - Spreads similar to vampiric and chaos corruption, but isn't competing with it. Heroes, buildings etc can spread it. Just a scale of 0-100.
    - Certain thresholds will have to be met for different settlement sizes to be possible. So they have to spread the forest first before being able to build settlements. Maybe 10-30-50-70-90 for each level of settlement.
    - The settlements will be within existing regions. So there could be two settlements possible.
    - Every region will have a max level forest possible. Some areas (mountains, badlands) won't be able to have forests at all. Others, such as Middenheim, will have a lot to start. Athel Loren is close to 100 at the start.
    - Athel Loren will be passable by all factions, but very slow movement, and ambush chances are high
    - The more forest a region has, the more constricted movement will be for non-beastman, non-woodelf armies and increased movement for elves and beastmen. More forests also increases ambush chances for wood elves.
    - Other factions can sack and raze wood elf settlements, but none can occupy them. Also, if the power of the woods decreases sufficiently, the settlement could be lost
    - Woodelf campaign goals are to destroy beastmen, skaven and maybe greenskins and to have X number of provinces over a certain threshold of power of the woods (plus Archaon being wounded and no chaos left)

Thoughts?

@Elithian:
    I really like your idea of spreading the forest! I was already worrying, how they will implement Wood Elves without breaking their fluff to much. Because in my opinion Wood Elves would have no interest in holding forest regions. Spreading the forest in a conquest makes a lot of sense for me and would also add a lot to their playstyle since it influeces the campaign map and the tactical battle map as well.

Also if wood elves got experts for hiding in forest and expert for seeing and shooting through forest that would be awesome. Dryads really should be able to hide until the enemy are basically upon them.

I would love to see ambush battles where one army is basically marching on a path through a forest and the elves attack from the forest, but the enemy can't see them.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

It says Wood Elves DLC will add to brets and Beastmen. Maybe we'll get the full rooster then?

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

There's one guy (can we call it faction) which plays a massive role in Warhammer and has yet to poke his stick around in any form DLC or expansion: Nagash

He's been pivotal in the end of times nonsense.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

Quote Originally Posted by ostendadler View Post
    There's one guy (can we call it faction) which plays a massive role in Warhammer and has yet to poke his stick around in any form DLC or expansion: Nagash

He's been pivotal in the end of times nonsense.
    Extremely likely he would become the Archaon equivalent bad guy of the south once Tomb Kings region is implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by surg3on View Post
    Extremely likely he would become the Archaon equivalent bad guy of the south once Tomb Kings region is implemented.
    I hadn't thought about that. It would be cool and make a ton of sense.

Nagash is "dead" in the current setting. He should never be in the game as he should never have been in the tabletop. Everything changed that datk day......

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    Nagash is "dead" in the current setting. He should never be in the game as he should never have been in the tabletop. Everything changed that datk day......

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    +1

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

To be fair his model is kick ass

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And "Dead" is pretty subjective when you are talking about a faction of dead animated skeletons. But more importantly there might be a mini-campaign with the Tomb Kings where he could feature. Mini campaigns can be set anywhere on the timeline. Next to the high elves the tomb kings is the faction I'm most exited for. Because they have a lot of cool and varied units (As opposed to the Beastmen for example which is nine flavors of angry goat men with an axe and one dude who throws rocks) which could translate into new and interesting gameplay mechanics. Also High Elves which could challenge the Empire for best faction aka the "jack of all trades master of some" faction depending on pricing. They certainly got the variety with the only real weakness being artillery (Which they make up for in monsters).
    Last edited by Påsan; August 03, 2016 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    Well of course everything changed that "datk" day. Nagash rose! I still think he'd make a good 'big bad' in the south. Otherwise you'd be stuck with raiding parties of some faction which everyone seems to hate.

As much as the "end times" launch is a day in infamy for old school fans like me, make no mistake they are taking us forward a similar scenario here.

Already the Beast men factions keep re-popping left right and center in my new grand campaign despite having been destroyed earlier (which is cool on a lore level since they can't be eliminated from the world)which adds a extra layer of warfare during the critical chaos/norscan push down.

Having a similar threat looming down south for Greenskins and Dwarves would make sense with the tumb kings and Nagash.

Been reading up a little on Nagash, he has been around along time if you are happy to include all of GW's work on him.
    He always seems to reappear even if you burn him over a warpstone fire and it takes him a 1000 yrs.

I agree that he could add an interesting flavour, odd because he would basically be a one man(creature) band of a faction, although he has several allies, although the skaven turned on him.
    At what point if he was introduced would he actually start? obviously post tomb kings though. Would the game get to cluttered?

The trouble with him is that he comes from a period where some races didn't exist in a seperate book (undead,VC,tumb kings ...) So his armies used to be a mish mash of those 3 races. In the end times however he becomes that seriously unstobable bloke who just goes to screw up pretty much everyone in the world.

If I had to describe it simply Nagash is a magic maniac with heavy undead following.

Now as per when they would bring him in?

I would bet CA will bring the world as a whole first increasing the war to epic proportions before introducing us to a possible end times scenario. In fact this reminds me a bit of Atilla when CA heavily hinted that Attila's force could not be stopped but only delayed. That obviously never happened once they made the Huns playable and taking out any narrative timeline they had initially planned. Perhaps this is what is gonna happen past a certain number of turns: The end times begins and you have to resist the Chaos onslaugh on the world. In terms of game delivery I would say Nagash would probably come in very Last or so just alongside the Chaos division. But who knows !
    Last edited by ostendadler; August 04, 2016 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post
    At what point if he was introduced would he actually start? obviously post tomb kings though. Would the game get to cluttered?
    Given the tomb kings will be far down south (if the leaked full map is any indication) it would not be cluttered. Nagash would be trying to take his rightful place as the ruler of the desert kingdoms before heading north when the north is all busy dealing with chaos and beastmen. Some of his armies would probably head into orc /dwarf lands but they need that (its easymode down there compared to the poor Empire).

Perhaps Ostendadler is right and GW will say 'no, he was dead at this point in time' but for gameplay reasons I think he would be a necessary thing unless they intend Tomb Kings starting area to be a safe haven (like Bretonnia was at release and soooo isn't after Skaven/wood elves/Beastmen relase).

I wonder how tomb kings will work, since they can't occupy the orc lands between araby and the badlands. So where can they expand do?

Since there would be no regions adjacent to araby that they can take.

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    I wonder how tomb kings will work, since they can't occupy the orc lands between araby and the badlands. So where can they expand do?

Since there would be no regions adjacent to araby that they can take.
    There can be several solutions for that, depending on how much effort CA is willing to invest:
    - The best solution is extending the map south of the Badlands, but I fear they would only have it as a new mini campaign (so 17-buck DLC again).
    - The next best solution is adding cities (or ruins of cities) in the Badlands itself so the Tomb kings can expand.Not very lore-friendly but close enough.
    - Given CA's hobby of reusing old features, I won't be surprised if the Tomb kings start as horde factions that can settle down in human settlements.
    - Or CA is very lazy and just allows the Tomb kings to settle everywhere.

My money is on "yet another horde faction". Just call it "Tomb King Expedition" or something.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    There can be several solutions for that, depending on how much effort CA is willing to invest:
    - The best solution is extending the map south of the Badlands, but I fear they would only have it as a new mini campaign (so 17-buck DLC again).
    - The next best solution is adding cities (or ruins of cities) in the Badlands itself so the Tomb kings can expand.Not very lore-friendly but close enough.
    - Given CA's hobby of reusing old features, I won't be surprised if the Tomb kings start as horde factions that can settle down in human settlements.
    - Or CA is very lazy and just allows the Tomb kings to settle everywhere.
    I am using Dresden settle everywhere mod, it is awesome the game is just 10 times better.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on