Thread: SO no Game of Thrones mod for Warhammer?

Default SO no Game of Thrones mod for Warhammer?

Too bad, it would have looked awesome!

Too bad that we are not allowed to edit the map of the campaign !

If we just could get what tools they did use , proprietary or not , we probably could if somoene has those same proprietary tools.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: SO no Game of Thrones mod for Warhammer?

I am almost sure that "tools" they used would not be understood by 99% of modders or more.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

...was this topic really worth posting on two different forums?

The other forum has the best answers to this, my only additional comment is that CA & GW don't want free reigned modders to include every race, landscape and feature that they plan to do well before the official releases and at far less cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post
    ...was this topic really worth posting on two different forums?

The other forum has the best answers to this, my only additional comment is that CA & GW don't want free reigned modders to include every race, landscape and feature that they plan to do well before the official releases and at far less cost.
    Why people read always both ? Or Just you?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Just me maybe.

Sorry, it seemed a bit excessive to me.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

GoT mod on Warhammer would be pointless anyway. No magic, of monsters there is only three dragons and giants. Both which are not involved with most factions, there are no superhuman heroes and there is little to no use of the animation gallery in warhammer.

Attila would be a much better engine if they had map-making tools. Sure you wont get Dragons but up until this point dragons have been millitary speaking pointless anyway.

What is the point of a GoT mod anyway. The show is about intrigue and personal relations not battles. Go play the CK2 mod or the M&B mod. Both much better engines than TW to capture the feel of GoT. In a millitary sense its just a bland verson of late medieval Europe. Go play 1212 mod for attila. Much better than a got mod would ever be.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    GoT mod on Warhammer would be pointless anyway. No magic, of monsters there is only three dragons and giants. Both which are not involved with most factions, there are no superhuman heroes and there is little to no use of the animation gallery in warhammer.

Attila would be a much better engine if they had map-making tools. Sure you wont get Dragons but up until this point dragons have been millitary speaking pointless anyway.

What is the point of a GoT mod anyway. The show is about intrigue and personal relations not battles. Go play the CK2 mod or the M&B mod. Both much better engines than TW to capture the feel of GoT. In a millitary sense its just a bland verson of late medieval Europe. Go play 1212 mod for attila. Much better than a got mod would ever be.
    I take it you're not much of a GOT fan. Off the top of my head, you have the Blackfyre Rebellion, the War of 5 Kings, the Roberts Rebellion, The Greyjoy Rebellion, and the Liberation of Slavers Bay just to name a few wars. A lot of those conflicts have multi-stage campaigns that involve distinct factions too. GOT has plenty of named battles with specific tactics pointed out as well as just general 'conflicts' that seem to be going on (raiding in Westros carried out by noble houses against each other, the Dothraki just kind of raping and pillaging, Iron Islanders reaving pretty much every 5-10 years) and a lot of content for 'fleshing out' purposes, like the main exports from different cities/regions, plenty of choices for retainers/equipment, a lot of faction leaders/heroes that are unique and a lot of them even have signature armor and weapons, mercs, rebel factions, and a lot of random/scripted events, religions, hell pretty much everything you'd want for a total war game. There are also more magical aspects than just 'giants and dragons' there are zombies, supernatural ice necromancer warriors, fire priests that summon shadows and give people crazy firey smoke appendages and fight with flaming weapons, people that can mind control animals or other people, far seers, alchemists that make napalm, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

It would be perfect for a mod, if a mod was possible. It's about the fate of full nations and it's about conflict, not just people talking in a room.

Well the main focus of the ASoIaF books is politics and intrigue with warfare to a lesser degree. Thats what people know GoT as. And clearly a simple war of five kings or whatever mod would criple all the backstory of the whole war simply because it cannot be portrayed in a TW game. Sure you can have a westeros TW mod based on M2TW i think that offers the map and the noble houses but thats it. GoT is too complex of a setting to place in TW. As others have said CK2 is perfect for it.

Nobody sees this, with the exemption of drillmaster, but the idea of a Total War AsoIaF is a horrible idea. I see PeonKing's enthusiasm, but Westeros is so low-fantasy that it doesn't even warrant its own effort for modification, or even its own game except the ASoIaF mod for Crusader Kings 2, which is phenomenal. That games mechanics perfectly coincides with the intrigue, the politics, and limited warfare present in the setting. CK2 would be on the other hand, horrible for the Warhammer franchise, where immense warfare is present.

Westeros isn't necessarily about "the fate of full nations and it's conflicts, not just people talking in a room", its about the civil interaction of people, consequences through decisions people make during peace and wartime throughout the world, similar to real life than Warhammer-esque solutions. Decisions that involve swaying families to your side, logistics, strategic decisions that end up in battle that are quickly won or lost, not region-encompassing battles.

All the houses, all the standards within Westeros are nearly the same lol. There's a distinct cultural difference between the "North", and the "South", and that's basically upon elite cavalry being called knights and lances. How many unique portfolios can you create between the Lannisters myriad vassals, or from the Tyrell realm? The same possibilities available are just a bit superior than Medieval 2's, and within our history we have the Eastern Roman's, HRE, English, Mamlukes, etc which altogether offer more choices than the entirety of Westeros and Essos combined. Just not worth it. People making models and skins for Westeros are better off building something else in my opinion. Besides, Total War doesn't even grasp the spirit of what makes ASoIaF unique - CK2 does. You mention all these different conflicts, yet only CK2 has the casus belli system, with the countless characters in the game accessible to fully accomodate the political realities of Westeros.
    My Shogun 2 Mod has been defunct for years, its over with. Hex editing is horrible.

Isn't there a relatively good warhammer mod for CK2? I know I heard something about that...

Anyway, mod-wise, I'd really like modders to go crazy on the "fantasy" part and make more fantastical armies and creatures rather than focus on just the medieval portion.

The Hyrule total war mod upgraded with TW:W, Total War: Dark Souls, Total War: Fire Emblem, Total War: final fantasy tactics, Total War: Elder scrolls, Total War: Wheel of Time, etc. Just stuff off the top of my head.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Naga Prince View Post
    Nobody sees this, with the exemption of drillmaster, but the idea of a Total War AsoIaF is a horrible idea. I see PeonKing's enthusiasm, but Westeros is so low-fantasy that it doesn't even warrant its own effort for modification, or even its own game except the ASoIaF mod for Crusader Kings 2, which is phenomenal. That games mechanics perfectly coincides with the intrigue, the politics, and limited warfare present in the setting. CK2 would be on the other hand, horrible for the Warhammer franchise, where immense warfare is present.

Westeros isn't necessarily about "the fate of full nations and it's conflicts, not just people talking in a room", its about the civil interaction of people, consequences through decisions people make during peace and wartime throughout the world, similar to real life than Warhammer-esque solutions. Decisions that involve swaying families to your side, logistics, strategic decisions that end up in battle that are quickly won or lost, not region-encompassing battles.

All the houses, all the standards within Westeros are nearly the same lol. There's a distinct cultural difference between the "North", and the "South", and that's basically upon elite cavalry being called knights and lances. How many unique portfolios can you create between the Lannisters myriad vassals, or from the Tyrell realm? The same possibilities available are just a bit superior than Medieval 2's, and within our history we have the Eastern Roman's, HRE, English, Mamlukes, etc which altogether offer more choices than the entirety of Westeros and Essos combined. Just not worth it. People making models and skins for Westeros are better off building something else in my opinion. Besides, Total War doesn't even grasp the spirit of what makes ASoIaF unique - CK2 does. You mention all these different conflicts, yet only CK2 has the casus belli system, with the countless characters in the game accessible to fully accomodate the political realities of Westeros.
    Well it's not just enthusiasm, it's already been done incredibly well in a different war game. One of the top mods of all time in one of the most moddable games of all time, Mount and Blade, is a GoT mod. Mount and blade is pretty much a hack and slash/army commanding game, like a more realistic Dynasty Warriors. It's a ton of fun, really well done, and that's with it basically being impossible to follow the storyline of the show/books because you play a nobody, not a role of a noble from a house, and that a lot of events like the Red Wedding aren't scripted. The guy who made it just did his research and fleshed it out really well. I could see you saying a lot of stuff also wouldn't translate, I get that, you're going to deviate from the storyline of the books, but I have no clue how you think it would end up being horrible right off the bat. Frankly saying they're all 'nearly the same lol' is just a lack of imagination. There is enough about the cultural differences of the houses to flesh out different troop trees if you tried. You're acting like if there isn't a troop list like Warhammer it can't be done. It's already been done in Mount and Blade even.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

A game based in Westeros would be awesome, I agree. Somewhat like Shogun 2, more about tactics than unit diversity.

But it really wouldn't capture the spirit of the franchise, and Im not sure how many people would actually be interested in it, because without the fantasy elements, and without the very in-depth diplomacy and personal relationships that Total War doesn't portray, it's just a Medieval game but with a worse map and less unique factions. I would like it, because I like the setting, but only if it were done in a far better way than Total War is likely to do it. With a game so limited in scope, I would hope for very fleshed-out factions, better mechanics on the campaign map, both for politics, diplomacy, and spying, as well as supply lines and other such things.

But as a mod for any of the current Total War games? It would just be boring.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

As somebody who has read all of the books, and used to be obsessed with ASOIAF, I really hope this doesn't happen xD

Go play the CK2 mod. It makes more sense for the setting.