Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realm of the Wood Elves - First Impression

PrinceofPersia's Avatar Tiro

Default Realm of the Wood Elves - First Impression

Dear TW Fans!

So a new DLC has been released which finally brings Elves into the equation. It is the most expensive DLC yet, although there is alot of content.
    It would be great to hear your first thoughts and initial comments about this new addition, so it may help those who are considering whether to purchase or not.

I am waiting for it to download, as I type, but it would be good to hear the thoughts of other fellow members.
    I personally am really looking forward to this as I am an elves fan, so cant wait to start shooting the arrows at those pesky Beastmen, Orcs and Dwarfs.
    Last edited by PrinceofPersia; December 08, 2016 at 03:57 PM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Realm of the Wood Elves - First Impression

I lost to amber...

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

I have to say I'm dissatisfied how they added something very trivial like wood elves before adding major and very important things like High and dark elves

Hope for an amber mod. Seriously, this feels way too unbalanced.

My German Youtube-Channel - Let's Plays (Strategy, RPG, Indie,...):
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChwblqvwr8XxKP0GzCcUb8Q

Quote Originally Posted by General Sultan V View Post
    I have to say I'm dissatisfied how they added something very trivial like wood elves before adding major and very important things like High and dark elves
    They are coming but unlike wood elves they will need a huge map extension.
    Also from a profit-driven perspective it's smart to keep the big stuff for later and feed the masses with fast food.

After being so used to getting flush with money as the Dwarves, I'm finding the Wood Elves really challenging to play as. Fun though, as I can't really rely on my old instincts in a old fashioned gun line...
    Forward, march!

There's 4 full stacks of beastmen by turn 29 in the custom campaign and I have one stack.

gg

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

You pretty much have to sit on your ass in the grand campaign for the first 20-30 turns. Once you capture the Bretonian settlement to the south of you and get a port everything starts to come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    You pretty much have to sit on your ass in the grand campaign for the first 20-30 turns. Once you capture the Bretonian settlement to the south of you and get a port everything starts to come together.
    Ahh 30 turns of nothing.

Great game design CA, great design.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Igor85 View Post
    Hope for an amber mod. Seriously, this feels way too unbalanced.
    Why? This is one of the easiest thing to manage in campaign, making it easier would make it pointless. Once you get your diplomacy techs going on, you can get loads of amber very easy.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

What are this hatched arrows at shooting area, which have some bowmen!?
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Why? This is one of the easiest thing to manage in campaign, making it easier would make it pointless. Once you get your diplomacy techs going on, you can get loads of amber very easy.
    Because i.e. Durthu can practically recruit 90% of his troops without amber - nearly all elven units and of course the strong wood creatures, while Orion needs to spend amber for the strong ones way more.

Also amber costs are too high. I'm not a lore-restricted player, but still I don't want to be too expansive. But alone to upgrade the oak would force me to wipe out the whole western map. Of course I also could sit 50 turns literally doing nothing, just waiting for building upgrades and techs be finished to confederate and make meaningful alliances. Just no!

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I usually sit around for 50 turns doing nothing anyway, which actually helps the AI by the way, so this is great for me. I haven't tried a campaign yet, Im waiting for essential mods to update before I do, but I love everything about it so far.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I greatly hope for an amber mod. Especially so I can use amber units before game is over.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

I haven't played it enough to give a detailed opinion, but it looks great so far.

Pro's: 1) Beautiful unit models, 2) The LL's are completely different with a completely different playstyle. Unlike previous LL's though, both have the capacity to be equally powerful depending on how you intend to use them, 3) Unique game mechanics - This is what I am least familiar with, but the amber mechanics change how you approach the campaign. I'm also happy you can conquer all settlements, but the benefits are very limited., 4) The Wood Elves are both an aesthetically and culturally interesting faction, 5) Focusing on tree spirits or wood elves depending on your LL kind of creates the feeling that you have two different factions to choose from.

Con's: 1) This is personal preference, but I don't like how the Beastmen have become this kind of perpetual random event that just happens from time to time. I rarely shiver in fear when the announcement comes out "The Beastherd" or whatever has spawned. It's more like, oh boy, another meaningless stack that will wander around and eventually die of attrition or lack of a purpose. I wish they were a more distinct and threatening presence on the campaign map.

The Wood Elves are well designed and fill in a cultural void on the campaign map. Look forward to conquering as both Orion and Durthu.

Taurmin's Avatar Foederatus

Am i the only one who think that there a bit too much infighting between Elven factions? Atleast in the mini campaign.

I had one of the minor factions attack the oak of ages, it seemed like total madness.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Taurmin - I had just the opposite experience. None of the Elven factions are fighting in my campaign. I was hoping they would attack each other so I could take advantage, but they are all just hugging each other and complimenting each other's hair. Going to wait it out a bit. If they don't start fighting, I'll just have to go North and attack the Dwarves.

I have had nothing too exciting with the campaign (Grand one not mini one), 45 turns of mostly turtle-stance steamrolling little nearby towns with a strong army under orion and two very strong agents to prepare everything for him. A bit boring to be honest. Their army rocks though, and there are alot of possible buildings but you can only build a few, Amber also pus alot of restrictions on playstyle.

Taurmin's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by M2TWRocks View Post
    Taurmin - I had just the opposite experience. None of the Elven factions are fighting in my campaign. I was hoping they would attack each other so I could take advantage, but they are all just hugging each other and complimenting each other's hair. Going to wait it out a bit. If they don't start fighting, I'll just have to go North and attack the Dwarves.
    Dwarves? Isnt it only Elves, beastmen, bretonnians and undead in the mini campaign?

I thought in the grey mountains would be orks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast