Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bretonnia DLC and my opiinion of game as it stands!

Default Bretonnia DLC and my opiinion of game as it stands!

Anyone else think the speed of battles is way too quick? Ok played as Bretonnia and just beat 2 stack chaos army but it took 3000 men vs around 1000k. Really hectic battle made worse because it seems chosen chew through spearmen etc like a hot knife through butter and maurauder horsemen have to be the most irritating unit ever.

Bretonnian archers (even the fire and pox) ones only seemed to get around 10 kills and trebuchets (x3) probably about 30 or so. I understand Bretonnia is all about cavalry which are good but the balance and overall speed of battles just seems off to me. It's all a mad blur because units rout so quick...well the chaos ones seemed to last even with say 10 men...

Maybe that's me..I have also had a few issue with having to click on units several times to make sure they carry out orders. In a siege I had to click three times on a unit of cav n it still had issues!

Overall though it's fun to play as Bretonnia although can be a bit frustrating when you are stuck between Marienburg and then the Red Duke...lucky I was able to sneak around into Marienburg n siege down the undead.

Perhaps I need a mod to slow down battles a bit. Suggestions?

Default Re: Bretonnia DLC and my opiinion of game as it stands!

Brutal battles or proper combat mod. Never start a campaign without one of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    Brutal battles or proper combat mod. Never start a campaign without one of the two.
    Hopefully it's savegame compat.

Cheers. Also playing as Bretonnia I noticed it's hard to destroy enemy siege equipment...you actually get a trebuchet as part of the garrison but this seems like a bit of an oversight because it's hard to use...(well I found it only hits a few troops before it's redundant).

I should try one of those mods. I really want to like TW: Warhammer, but once you get beyond the shiny graphics I found the gameplay really dull. Battles were too fast, but it also felt like strategy very rarely won the day anyway and that events in battle weren't as impactful as I'd like.

Gameplay vanilla deep is equal to an android platform game or even worse. This decline gradually has begun since the first Rome. Use mods, obviously.

Yeah mods save the day. I would still like slower battles, like in DeI, but ive found nothing that makes them so.

Tried radious and battles seemed ok but then am not sure I like so many units. Plus my economy went through the roof and am allowed 60 odd units which is almost double vanilla I think...

Alhough I must say some of the units look great plus he/she has beefed up the bretonnian roster giving it at least some half decent ranged units.

Am gonna try out the longer battles moral mod and perhaps stick to vanilla units. Ideally I want something that increases a few units for certain factions maybe and no arcadey battles. Plus I think towers now at least for Bretonnia are a bit weak...

p.s dei is a great mod!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Duke View Post
    Gameplay vanilla deep is equal to an android platform game or even worse. This decline gradually has begun since the first Rome. Use mods, obviously.
    Please recommend some mods!

BMV's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    Tried radious and battles seemed ok but then am not sure I like so many units. Plus my economy went through the roof and am allowed 60 odd units which is almost double vanilla I think...
    Try using Venris submod for Radious mod, it increases upkeep costs and decreases income.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    Yeah mods save the day. I would still like slower battles, like in DeI, but ive found nothing that makes them so.
    I would never thouhgt I'd say something like that but I remember when DEI went out I found its battles much too slow. I don't know if it's because I played it for 3 long years that I fstill ind EB1 had the best battle timing.

Total Warhammer is dull. And though, it feels so good to see a campaign map evolve according to the lore, I know I'll keep on playing it. It's crazy when you consider Rome 2's campaign had random crazy uchronic evolutions with minor saharian factions eating Carthage and Rome alive in early game where Warhammer has sensefull reasonable scripted AI faction's behaviour.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

I find that DeI has the perfect battle timing. It gives you enough time to hold a proper line. In WTW my imperial line is butchered and the enemy is killing my reserves by the time my knights conplete their envelopment and all that in less than 5 mins. But to be fair Romans didnt face trolls and chaos knights......
    Last edited by drillmaster; March 02, 2017 at 09:08 AM.

So discovered probably my biggest gripe with the game playing as the crooked moon. The dwarves.

Really Op. Ok 3-4 stacks clan Angrund early game (talking pre turn 50) with 3 silver chevron experience...some with one gold. How?

Perhaps the only way to do the crooked moon is to avoid clan Angrund at the start...perhaps I took a wrong turn when trying to reach the home settlement. 2nd attempt in progress...ok there is the special attack and with waaghs might stand a chance but with golbins vs dwarf warriors n hammerers it's so one-sided.

p.s yeah I couldnt resist the dlc which I wasnt going to do but there is enough to get a good 100 hrs I reckon plus you cant help but like squigs n treemen! I didnt fancy the beastmen much though.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 02, 2017 at 01:08 PM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    I would never thouhgt I'd say something like that but I remember when DEI went out I found its battles much too slow. I don't know if it's because I played it for 3 long years that I fstill ind EB1 had the best battle timing.

Total Warhammer is dull. And though, it feels so good to see a campaign map evolve according to the lore, I know I'll keep on playing it. It's crazy when you consider Rome 2's campaign had random crazy uchronic evolutions with minor saharian factions eating Carthage and Rome alive in early game where Warhammer has sensefull reasonable scripted AI faction's behaviour.
    The lore must be the thing here. I doubt mods will help if the player is not getting into the setting that much. As a WH noob I had some fun with TWW but it wore off after the Chaos threat was eliminated and I got to field advanced units. Twenty hours or so for Humble Bundle version is ok I guess. No interest to play as a non-human faction. TWW is light strategy gameplay which is cool but I'm already back to ATTILA to get my TW fix. Fingers crossed we're within 18 months of a new historical game.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 02, 2017 at 09:18 PM.

So discovered probably my biggest gripe with the game playing as the crooked moon. The dwarves.

Really Op. Ok 3-4 stacks clan Angrund early game (talking pre turn 50) with 3 silver chevron experience...some with one gold. How?

Perhaps the only way to do the crooked moon is to avoid clan Angrund at the start...perhaps I took a wrong turn when trying to reach the home settlement. 2nd attempt in progress...ok there is the special attack and with waaghs might stand a chance but with golbins vs dwarf warriors n hammerers it's so one-sided.

p.s yeah I couldnt resist the dlc which I wasnt going to do but there is enough to get a good 100 hrs I reckon plus you cant help but like squigs n treemen! I didnt fancy the beastmen much though.

Crooked moon has become my favorite faction as I find it the most challenging.

Their play style is like a spider in a cave at the beginning. I only get goblin warbosses because they buff the units so hard. Sneaky stabbers unit has 68 attack power if your lord is buffed heavy enough (maxed unit weapon strength + both goblin unit upgrades)

Skarsnik can take out one to two stacks a turn with lightning strike. I use sneaky stabbers + goblin spears as the main bulk of my army so after a lightning battle I can combine units and fill in the holes with Ror. Also, if you see multiple stacks approaching, garrison skarsnik. If you have level 2 garrison building, they will almost always lay siege for multiple turns. On your turn you can lightning strike the siegeing army and your garrison units will reinforce you. Unlikely to lose the battle when it's 38vs20

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Crooked moon has become my favorite faction as I find it the most challenging.

Their play style is like a spider in a cave at the beginning. I only get goblin warbosses because they buff the units so hard. Sneaky stabbers unit has 68 attack power if your lord is buffed heavy enough (maxed unit weapon strength + both goblin unit upgrades)

Skarsnik can take out one to two stacks a turn with lightning strike. I use sneaky stabbers + goblin spears as the main bulk of my army so after a lightning battle I can combine units and fill in the holes with Ror. Also, if you see multiple stacks approaching, garrison skarsnik. If you have level 2 garrison building, they will almost always lay siege for multiple turns. On your turn you can lightning strike the siegeing army and your garrison units will reinforce you. Unlikely to lose the battle when it's 38vs20
    Might reduce diff to hard and realised perhaps I wasnt starting off right. Instead of heading straigtaway over to orc lands stay put!

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Fingers crossed we're within 18 months of a new historical game.
    I don't think that 2018 is a realistic expectation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bartholomew of CA in November 2016
    The next game will be released in a couple of years' time
    Essentially that comment leaves out the possibility of a 2018 release. Best case scenario would be 2019, which is reasonable, because most probably all the Warhammer sequels would have been published by then, so CA would be free to focus on the historical games, without being forced to double the number of its employees and release two different TW games simultaneously.

And also imagine the discusting ammount of marketing and promotion that needs to be done for 2 titles running at the same time. One would draw resourses from the other.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    I don't think that 2018 is a realistic expectation.

Essentially that comment leaves out the possibility of a 2018 release. Best case scenario would be 2019, which is reasonable, because most probably all the Warhammer sequels would have been published by then, so CA would be free to focus on the historical games, without being forced to double the number of its employees and release two different TW games simultaneously.
    They said they will move staff to full [historical game] production this year as WH2 is now in full production -- look at statement "what the Total War teams are working on" from December 2016.

I think WH2 will be announced at the end of the month and released in early September. The historical game will be announced after that and released in September 2018 or year-end 2018. They're big profitable and growing they can handle more than one project at a time.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 03, 2017 at 08:19 AM.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post

You should try DeI 1.2 because it is like a completly new game Also battles are miles away from what they were with new combat dynamics, multistaged battles (AI manouvering, AI skirmish, AI manouvering again, AI falling back while keeping formation, AI engaging you on one flank while waiting in the center and other flanks etc), hoplites and pikes being able to push other units (or giving ground if enemy is too strong and you do not order them to push back) so yeah, I highly recommend it

As for Warhammer overhaul, since now we can finally edit unit size, I will slowly work on full combat overhal, much more developed than my current Proper Combat Mod (which will be still supported as it is supposed to be compatibility friendly ).
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Might reduce diff to hard and realised perhaps I wasnt starting off right. Instead of heading straigtaway over to orc lands stay put!
    Have you tried the game with Minos better AI mod? Turns the game into an absolutely slugfest especially crooked moon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast