Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercenary Availability

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Missile troops historical accuracy & rebalancing

Well, if do-able, I don't think that one prevents the other
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    That would be handy if you get the "rebel stack devestates area" bug allowing greater throughput of merc units.
    I really do like the Alavarias knowledge, experience and ingeniouity of how to hack the game engine!
    (yes, this would be a side effect).

Actually, I'd be more inclined to the first tmodelsk idea of naming the zones where mercs were more popular (Iberlia, Italy, ERE, Holy Land), while not messing much with the mechanics.

Blog Entries

It might be a short term solution but not logical for the reason below and not suitable if we want to implement an AoR system (hidden_resource wasted from my opinion).
    If you conquer the whole Iberia and make it as a peaceful area, what's the point of keeping a high mercenary pool in there?

Anyway, I think that we're disgresssing here
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; August 30, 2017 at 12:09 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

After creation of the new thread content of this entry was irrelevant and was deleted.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 30, 2017 at 03:14 AM.

Default Re: Mercenary Availability

Haha i dont know that i had started a new thread! But ok, is better that we talk here and dont mix different opinions in wrong threads...
    Anyways make a script that link high pool of mercenaries with war(devastation of armies) is logical
    Other thing is that if sship team think in add new mercenaries units for the next version( i commented this some time ago about implement more ''generic'' units for oriental and rus regions
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Blog Entries

Thanks for that NJ

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    Haha i dont know that i had started a new thread! But ok, is better that we talk here and dont mix different opinions in wrong threads...
    Anyways make a script that link high pool of mercenaries with war(devastation of armies) is logical
    Other thing is that if sship team think in add new mercenaries units for the next version( i commented this some time ago about implement more ''generic'' units for oriental and rus regions
    j.a Luna,

Don't worry you have not been hacked, it is your friendly neighbourhood Forum Moderator, who decided that really it needed its own thread!!!!!! JOC did point out to me early on the errors of my ways, instead I decided to let it ride. Eventually I came to the same conclusion, it needed its own place. At least I cannot move it to General Discussion, LOL.

NJ
    SS Forum Mod

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

A question before a thought, how does the morale of Merc Crossbowman compare against a Faction Crossbowman?

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    A question before a thought, how does the morale of Merc Crossbowman compare against a Faction Crossbowman?
    Sure.

Code:
    Mercenary Crossbowmen
    stat_mental      6, low, trained

Urban Crossbow Militia
    stat_mental      5, low, trained

EE Crossbow Militia
    stat_mental      4, low, untrained

Crossbow Militia
    stat_mental      7, low, untrained

Templar Crossbowmen
    stat_mental      14, normal, trained
    There might be a few other "turn 1" useable crossbow units I'm missing, of course.

Alavaria,

Thanks that is very useful and that answers my thought very sadly.

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

There's script event GeneralDevastatesTile , it exports settlement & region_id data, so it looks like it's possible to do it via devastation either.
    But there could be one problem - quick army actions -> example : move & battle it one turn -> it could not turn devastation on.

Code:
    Identifier:    GeneralDevastatesTile  
     Event:    A General and his army has devastated an enemy's fertile land  
     Exports:    nc_character_record, character_record, faction, region_id, character_type, settlement
    SSHIP mini-mods :

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    Guys,

On thinking about Mercenaries, is it fair to say that you will find Mercenaries where the action is happening, I cannot imagine that a Mercenary that is going to sit in a settlement waiting to be hired, knowing that the region is pacified with no likely action. So that begs the question shall we have a limited Merc pool when the region is at peace and on outbreak of war, then the pool grows.

Naturally the Holy land should have a high amount of Mercs available, as should Iberia due to the continual Moor threat.

What do you think?

NJ
    Italy usually had one of the largest mercenary pools in the past due to that idea. Most Crusaders states weren't known for using mercenaries- you can call Turkopoles and some of the Italian city states mercenaries but overall it was more volunteers, feudal levies, and knight orders. Lusignans in Cyprus is the main Crusader kingdom that used mercenaries that I can think of.

Byzantines, Italian city states, Holy Roman Empire, Fatimids, Denmark, and Kwharezmians are the biggest users of mercenaries in the starting timeline. Later France, England, Granada, and Hungary were well known for using mercenaries. Most Muslim states it was complicated- some of the warriors in their armies fought nearly entirely for loot while there were also more standing professional armies of ghulams or mameluks that had some mercenary characteristics but not really the same thing. There were a few mercenaries working in other places but usually it was more warlordism- some leader had a group of warriors, found some success on the battlefield and tried to parley that into more titles for himself that he could then hand off to loyal men and create a little feudal patronage network where money rarely changed hands but land rights, protection, and obligation was the currency.

Quote Originally Posted by tmodelsk View Post
    I've checked that NJ idea can be done technically.

There's monitor PostBattle which exports region_id record and there's condition IsRegionOnOf (additional info).

So there's possibility in campaign_script via monitors to intercept every battle and in what region / merc pool it occurred,
    set some counters / event counters and add merc pool recruitment entries with conditions on those new event counters.

One or a few battles should trigger higher merc availability for a few years - I think.
    So anyway - that's a lot of work to do and additional monitors which will slow down end turn time a little bit.
    I wonder if it's worth the work.
    Very nice idea! Adding additional scripts is always a hard decision in any SS submod because there are already quite a few scripts. It doesn't seem a huge work though so might be easily tested if its worth it on a small scale first. I do wonder how many battles occurring in most regions won't just make large merc pools everywhere.
    Last edited by Ichon; September 07, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12