Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: New Historical total war era announcement coming on Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    It looks like the predictions I've been posting several times on this forum are coming true. The Warhammer era of Total War has and is going to irreparably change the artistic and design philosophy of the development studio. The trailer is throwing up all sorts of redflags, one being the clear indications that it will be hero-oriented combat, moving away from the more 'battle simulator' gameplay. It also appears as if they've let their artistic license meander away quite a bit, it feels like there will be a lot of fantastical depictions and art-styles in this one. I imagine the special abilities buttons will be implemented galore too, to the expense of the maneuvering gameplay focus that older titles did so uniquely well. This is a regrettable change of path for the studio for those of us who dream of a battle simulator game that at least tries to be historical and realistic. I'll still give them the chance to prove me wrong, but at this point I'd wager I'm correct.
    to be honest, adding quests and rpg elements are good designs. instead of only items like in warhammer, the quest rewards can easily be factionwide bonuses, unlocking special units, hell, even an unique building chain. that also makes the players feel more involved in the game. special abilities on generals are fine. even in warhammer it was mostly morale or speed enhancers. if we take out warhammer magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    As a fan of history and having almost no interest in Warhammer (never played), I think I'll prefer this following a slightly fantastical/heroic theme. Magic and excessive rpg are turn offs but if it's not presented 100% historially accurately then the suspension of belief isn't quite as damaged when it doesn't feel accurate. If we're getting lords and heroes in battle, like Warhammer, I don't feel as bad when battles are blobby slaughterfests like Attila.
    judging from warhammer sales numbers, you don't matter :))) just kidding. 100% historically accurate = you are dreaming though. that is no longer a game. problem with rome II/attila was because a designer at CA decided the defend button needed to go to create chaos so players would have more micromanagement in battles. this choice caused alot of problems, one of which was the blobby mess you saw. it was why formed attack was patched in. if you have played warhammer I and II you would know this problem has been solve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    Is there actually a new engine for this game? Ive seen a few people claim this but haven't read anything official from CA stating they created a new engine for 3K.
    warhammer series had a huge engine update. ca might have upgraded the engine even more for the new game.

@thread ca just released a single cgi trailer, and negativity is up the wazoo :))) china will always be a hard sell. too many haters :) good luck to CA.

ps: I have always hated the first gunpower total war game because it introduced the hated, loathed firing cones for range units. it made sense for primitive gunpowder units, but 100% retarded for archers and horse archers.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 12, 2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Insulting part removed
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: