Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast

Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Weren't the Qiang essentially Tibetan tribes? I don't really know what else was in Tibet at the time.
    I am not sure. I've read that the Qiang are related to Tibetan tribes, and I've read that they were also different as well. The Qiang were living in both the regions inside and outside of the Tibetan Plateau. So maybe they may have been just "one" of the proto-Tibetan peoples.

Today, the Qiang are classified as their own ethnic group and live in Sichuan (Shu-Han territory) as opposed to also the territories of Xiliang (Ma Teng/Han Sui in the 3K map). They apparently have a matrilineal culture with tower-pyramid like fortified towns and castles, so they seem to have a different culture and architecture from Tibetans in the Tibetan Plateau.

Weren't the Northern Xiongnu in Central Asia by then? I think it was around 155 that the Xianbei tribes wiped them out and they were forced to leave the Altai mountains and whoever survived moved into Central Asia.
    I think so. They would've been more around Central Asia and the Western Regions of the Han Dynasty. So they could be relevant if they were still interacting or attacking the Han commanderies and military governors of the Western Regions (later taken over by Wei I believe), or we can use a little TW fiction and say the Northern Xiongnu were still attacking further east as well.
    Last edited by Intranetusa; February 01, 2018 at 04:19 PM.

Anybody else remember how Shougn 2's trailer wonderfully depicted the dueling mechanic in the game?

Or how Rome 2's Carthage trailer beautifully depicted actual in game siege combat?

​Scoodlypooper Numero Uno

Quote Originally Posted by ptoss1 View Post
    Or how Rome 2's Carthage trailer beautifully depicted actual in game siege combat?
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    Lol
    Yeah those two examples only give us less reason to take the new trailer seriously.

I just hope if they go the Shogun 2 route they at least are not going to half ass the combat between regular units like they did with Rome 2 and instead take some influence from the older titles like Med 2.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ptoss1 View Post
    Anybody else remember how Shougn 2's trailer wonderfully depicted the dueling mechanic in the game?

I never played those games, so if that's sarcasm, it's lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    I never played those games, so if that's sarcasm, it's lost on me.
    The Shogun 2 trailer shows a duel prior to a siege battle. As far as I know there is no actual mechanic to simulate that duel in the game.

The Carthage trailer was one of the primary marketing devices used by CA to promote Rome 2. Turns out it was entirely fake.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

After watching the trailer a few times more and reading up on the period, I have to admit I've changed my mind. I'm excited for this Total War and I think there is great potential to learn about Chinese history and notable characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Tibet was pretty much irrelevant all the way up until the 7th century during the Tibetan Empire. Sort of like Mongols. Of course there are a bunch of "proto-" groups you can link them to but we hardly know anything about them.

The only non-Chinese faction I could see making it into the game is Goguryeo.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

So people don't give CA enough credit to think that the game will be more historical than fantastical, yet people give enough credit to CA that they will only include historically relevant factions to the game, and thus a more samey experience.

Make up your mind guys.

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

I think the game will be as historical as we're used to in Rome 2 or Attila. As people has been saying, let's be honest they're not very historical to begin with. There's a lot of artistic liberty.
    I doubt there's gonna be any magic outside shieldwall giving you +50 defense and attack an other buffs.
    The only thing that worries me for now are possible hero units, single entities killing hundreds of models on their own like in WH.

We need more information basically.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

If the SAGA Thrones of Britannia YouTube.com videos just posted are any indication -- be prepared for a very different game product coming down the pike. No agents, more focus on the leader development and perhaps smaller battles as you gear up your campaigns. Take a look in the other threads -- also the SAGA comes out fairly quick and that may tell more about what the 3K will be than our complaining here on the ether ware.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw the Brittania info. All the features look like something that could be ported over to 3K, almost as if the Saga game is a trial run or something.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Placing the exact position of the Northern Xiongnu at the time is somewhat difficult. It might be argued that after the year 200 they ended up somewhere near the Caspian Sea. The Han Dynasty had largely lost its access to the oasis city states in Xinjiang after the Qiang tribes came out of Qinghai and Amdo in the Tibetan plateau and began to attack Liang province. There were also threats from the Xianbei and the Wuhuan tribes on the Mongolian steppe. All of those issues developing from the frontiers as early as the year 86 made it difficult to maintain direct control over the west. Generals were sent into Central Asia to wage campaigns and to assert control over the west but after 107 the Western Protectorate was abolished. By the time of the Three Kingdoms control of those areas in the west were only nominal although the city states and tribes that lived in Xinjiang could still pledge allegiance to the Han. For example when Cao Cao defeated the warlords in Liang province this was followed by the eventual request by the cities and tribes of Xinjiang for protection, which lasted until the fall of the Jin Dynasty at the hands of the barbarians.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 02, 2018 at 12:53 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

. Generals were sent into Central Asia to wage campaigns and to assert control over the west but after 107 the Western Protectorate was abolished. By the time of the Three Kingdoms control of those areas in the west were only nominal although the city states and tribes that lived in Xinjiang could still pledge allegiance to the Han. For example when Cao Cao defeated the warlords in Liang province this was followed by the eventual request by the cities and tribes of Xinjiang for protection, which lasted until the fall of the Jin Dynasty at the hands of the barbarians.
    Before the Wei reconquest, the situation of the Western Regions/central Asian city states could be like Roman Britian before the total collapse of the WRE - they still considered themselves a part of the Roman Empire but was totally cut off from the central government in Rome.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Would be nice to see the silk road(s) as some sort of mechanic... Though I can't recall from my most recent reading of Peter Frankopan's work what the status of that trade network was during the Three Kingdoms era. Nevertheless, it sort of piqued my interest in the Central Asian region.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Really excited to see that CA finally chose to a China oriented-total war and even more that it's Three kingdoms period.

Don't really understand all the hate there has been online about it. Many people say they skip and don't buy because of boring chinese setup and would have preferred European setting. Also lots have complained about this being another fantasy title so they have to skip it too because Warhammers are "bad".

I don't know about you, but do you think that some of the Total War fanbase is a bit toxic these days?

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    Really excited to see that CA finally chose to a China oriented-total war and even more that it's Three kingdoms period.

Don't really understand all the hate there has been online about it. Many people say they skip and don't buy because of boring chinese setup and would have preferred European setting. Also lots have complained about this being another fantasy title so they have to skip it too because Warhammers are "bad".

I don't know about you, but do you think that some of the Total War fanbase is a bit toxic these days?
    I feel the trailer was misleading, I thought it might have fantasy in it too until I went on CA site to confirm it is going to be historical. Anyone who has been playing this game for a long time will buy it I am guessing. I skipped Warhammer, as did many others but it did bring in a new fan base for CA who probably only want fantasy based TW games.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    I feel the trailer was misleading, I thought it might have fantasy in it too until I went on CA site to confirm it is going to be historical. Anyone who has been playing this game for a long time will buy it I am guessing. I skipped Warhammer, as did many others but it did bring in a new fan base for CA who probably only want fantasy based TW games.
    Well, they did say it was going to be a historical title even though they're using a heavily embellished book as base. I think what they meant was a non-fantasy title rather.

I'm not a huge fan of WH either, but it did bring some cool aspects like better skill trees, more detailed campaign map, while failing in others like the terrible siege mechanic and combat pace.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterOmen View Post
    Well, they did say it was going to be a historical title even though they're using a heavily embellished book as base. I think what they meant was a non-fantasy title rather.

I'm not a huge fan of WH either, but it did bring some cool aspects like better skill trees, more detailed campaign map, while failing in others like the terrible siege mechanic and combat pace.
    I disagree on that siege mechanic part. In comparison to previous titles, it actually works unlike many other siege mechanics in TW franchise. Of course its not perfect, but the gameplay wise it runs pretty smooth. Also the AI is now able to pose a threat in attacking your walled cities.The AI does not do siege battles well, but despite being stupid it infact ATTACKS and tries to win, which is in itself a huge improvment.

The pace is too fast, but gladly there is Steel Faith to sort that out. Also the custom settlements (even siege maps) work in campaign and modders have made some fantastic job with them.

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    I disagree on that siege mechanic part. In comparison to previous titles, it actually works unlike many other siege mechanics in TW franchise. Of course its not perfect, but the gameplay wise it runs pretty smooth. Also the AI is now able to pose a threat in attacking your walled cities.The AI does not do siege battles well, but despite being stupid it infact ATTACKS and tries to win, which is in itself a huge improvment.

The pace is too fast, but gladly there is Steel Faith to sort that out. Also the custom settlements (even siege maps) work in campaign and modders have made some fantastic job with them.
    Are you referring to sieges in Warhammer? Never played it that's why I am asking.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!