Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Default Re: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by Capricornius View Post
    Is adding music save-game compatible?

Because my Rhun campaign is well-established
    Yes it should be coz the game simply renders the music from the dat and idx files which u wil regenerate so saved games will have no problems.

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Y'know, I'm kinda stumped...
    Doing the modfolder angle.
    Everything seems straitforward.
    But I'm still getting vanilla music in the Campaign Load screen.

I've double checked my pref music files location name and format.
    I've clearly indicated it as the NE campain load music, with no vanilla titles indicated at all.

What gives? Why is the load music defaulting to vanilla?

*edit* is France not 'northern european'? I just experimented by copying NE over SE and its working now....
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; November 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM.

Hmmm... I did everything just as it said and the game indeed rebuilt the .dat files but it seems that they do nothing cause i have NO SOUND AT ALL now, not even the original one. Any ideas?

Lauch the game with Administrator, turn off the UAC etc if using vista or win7.
    Put all the 35 snd files in your data folder and then launch the game.

I already did the first two. But .snd files, what are they? You mean SOUND files, like particular music tracks/voices? But then why 35?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDwarf View Post
    I already did the first two. But .snd files, what are they? You mean SOUND files, like particular music tracks/voices? But then why 35?
    By snd i meant sound text files that you have put them in data folder and then delete all the .dat and .idx files in the data\sounds solder so that they can rebuilt from the info inside the snd files(35-all of them are required).

Hmmm.. And where do I find these? Cause i don't think that you mean the descr_sounds, desr_sounds_battle_events and so on, cause there isn't 35 of them i think.

It's here in this section only. Anyways here you are.
    M2TW Sound Text Files
    If you already have a few files in your mod then don't replace them they have extra info while these are just the default files.

roy1593's Avatar Foederatus

By changing a mod don't you also need to remove the Music.dat and music idx

Really depends on that mod itself whether it uses modified music or not if it does then yes those files need to be regenerated if making more changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Really depends on that mod itself whether it uses modified music or not if it does then yes those files need to be regenerated if making more changes.
    just a little slight commentary Ishan means changes to either the music or any sounds ( but not if your making mapping/unit/text/skins or any other change) but otherwise his advice is correcto mundo~
    you all probably already understand this so sorry for being redundant & presumptive~!
    good luck!

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Hey there. I've been running into a bit of an issue trying to get custom music into the game.

I have done this thusfar:

1) extracted all the sounds and music, and copied them all from the extra data/sounds folder into the proper one
    2) downloaded all the sound.txt files
    3) added in my own mp3's to the sounds/music folder
    4) edited descr_sounds_music.txt to play the custom music at the main menu
    5) deleted the music.dat and idx as well as the events
    6) Started up the game, and am treated to the original main menu music rather then the music I added in.

I thought maybe the problem was it all being in my mod folder, so I repeated the same process in the vanilla folder and the same things happened. all the .dat and idx files rebuild themselves properly after startup. I even went in and changed the main menu music to other battle music already in M2, and yet it still plays the original main menu music. It's as if it wont read descr_sounds_music.txt at all despite the fact that I have [io] file_first = true in my cfg file and it reads all other modded files just fine. Perhaps there is a step or something I'm missing? Or maybe something is just wrong with the part I edited in my sound txt file:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; NORTHERN, EASTERN & WESTERN EUROPEAN MUSIC ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

music_type northern_european, eastern_european

;;; FRONTEND

state MUSIC_FRONTEND
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    ToT1.mp3
    MainTheme.mp3
    end

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    Hey there. I've been running into a bit of an issue trying to get custom music into the game.

I have done this thusfar:

1) extracted all the sounds and music, and copied them all from the extra data/sounds folder into the proper one
    2) downloaded all the sound.txt files
    3) added in my own mp3's to the sounds/music folder
    4) edited descr_sounds_music.txt to play the custom music at the main menu
    5) deleted the music.dat and idx as well as the events
    6) Started up the game, and am treated to the original main menu music rather then the music I added in.

I thought maybe the problem was it all being in my mod folder, so I repeated the same process in the vanilla folder and the same things happened. all the .dat and idx files rebuild themselves properly after startup. I even went in and changed the main menu music to other battle music already in M2, and yet it still plays the original main menu music. It's as if it wont read descr_sounds_music.txt at all despite the fact that I have [io] file_first = true in my cfg file and it reads all other modded files just fine. Perhaps there is a step or something I'm missing? Or maybe something is just wrong with the part I edited in my sound txt file:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; NORTHERN, EASTERN & WESTERN EUROPEAN MUSIC ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

music_type northern_european, eastern_european

;;; FRONTEND

state MUSIC_FRONTEND
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    ToT1.mp3
    MainTheme.mp3
    end

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I can't help directly, but since my last post here I learned quite a bit, and could give you a general clue...

The sound cache building is a big process that reaches out and compiles from various documents, not just the ones you were certain to edit correctly. Also the cache process is done in its own little 'checklist' fashion. Consequently, if one little bit of information requested is missing or out of place, the checklist is silently terminated, but the cache process continues and builds an incomplete cache. And you're naer the wiser.

Therefore it is quite easy for you to be missing something in another seemingly unrelated file, and it is that element that short circuits the cache.

I discovered such a glitch while imposing Xenophonia material into Taiji's Battle Balance version of Deus lo Vult. I looked into my error log and saw that 'elephants' were missing from the mounts file. As elephants were effectively removed from the mod the entry would seem to be un-required, but it turned out to be just that little bit of info the sound caching process was expecting to find in order to apply all the changes I put in everywhere else.

Taiji seemed quite glad of the tiny discovery. Apparently it was stumping him for some time.

Like I said, not real help. Just something to look out for.
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; February 21, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

@UndyingNephalim
    You don't need to extract sounds for playing your custom music.
    Just see the original file name that plays as the main menu music rename your custom track to that name and put that in the exact same location in your mod. Then launch the game with IO command and that's it.

i have problem, i used the mod way and there several things missing in game.
    • some factions have absolutely no sound(no music and no general/captain voices)
    • the "End Turn" sound is no longer there either
    • some of the main menu button sounds are no longer there
    • some factions do not have the loading theme i assigned to them(im not saying they have some other loading theme, they just don't have any)
    • some factions have music but have no general/captain voices in campaign map and battle map, and i think the unit sounds are not there either (the ones that say "Spearmen! Sir! and etc...)

also i would like to know if it is possible to assign a specific battle theme to one or 2 factions no matter where they are on the map? for example lets say i have the French in middle east but i want ONLY the French faction to have European music in middle-east. is this possible?

here is how i modded:
    first i used this program to extract all the original music(Music.DAT) into a folder that separated each music and put them in their designated folders in the "Music" folder
    after that i followed the steps and put the music in each folder that i wanted and named them like this "Music_Battle1" all of them in MP3 format.
    and when i made the necessary text file changes i replaced the old text file with my own edited version. i also deleted events.dat, events.idx, Music.dat and Music.idx after deleting these i put my own music folder in there and when i ran the game all the stuff i deleted came back and a new Music.dat(my version) was created.
    Last edited by Toho; March 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Do all the 39 snd text files exist in the data folder of your mod?

haha guess not i dont even know what your talking about

what should i do my friend?
    Edit: the only file i touched was desc_sound_music.txt i left everything else as is.
    Last edited by Toho; March 11, 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Are you modding a mod or your own custom mod?

i am modding Call of Warhammer version 1.4.4

Hm i presume all the files are already there then, my advice then would be to disable UAC and then launch the game as an admin this will re-create the .dat and .idx files in the proper location.