Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Default Re: Tutorial: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by virtu View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial.

I'm trying to edit my SS music, I've successfully changed the main menu music, what I did was added the music file to sounds/music folder, and wrote the names in sounds_descr_music.txt file and deleted the necessary .dat/.idx files.

I tried to do the same for campaign map and battle music but had a major fail, reading the tutorial I realized I have to install the sound text file from CA, I did that and edited the names a bit and the game CTD twice before it finally starts and the sounds was messed up, interface and my faction sounds were missing.

From what I understand, the sound text file downloaded reset the sounds in the game or something, what I need to do is just add some music to the already existing ones, namely the Medieval TW music, how can I do that without missing the mod up?
    Thank you for the straightforward tutorial! I got it working after I remembered to delete a SPACEMARK after one my underscores in a few mp3's lol. Silly me. Thanks again!

I just installed medieval 1 music for the romans for SS 6.2 and I'll explain to you what I did. I am a Vista user as well. I did the mod foldered method.

You don't need to download any text files. You already have it here:

Medieval II Total War/mods/stainless_steel_6/data (it's provided upon installtion of SS and subsequent patches if necessary)

here you will find sounds_descr_music.txt (make a back up copy before you edit!)

Now, depending upon what faction you are playing and this took me the longest to figure out (5m I was stoned lol), you are broken up into a couple places. I play as the romans for this camp, so I would find:

southern_european or northern_european if you play another (to find out what region your faction is under look in MTWII/mods/data/world/map/base and here you will see a descrip_faction_regions or something similiar. Open it up and take a look to find your faction.)

Now that we are here I need to find the strategy map sub-portion which is CAMPMAP

here it's usually divided between winter/summer but not this time since the game doesn't get snow that close to the Mediterranean. here is where you want to add/delete or whatever but you MUST MUST MUST be careful and type exactly right.

for example I took (without quotes but for inflection) "Euro Mobilize 1" from medieval 1 and converted it to mp3

I had to rename it to Euro_Mobilize_1 and in the text file you must name it Euro_Moblize_1.mp3 because it's a mp3 file in this case.

Delete what you don't want, and add what you do in terms of the music already listed. Be very careful to not delete "END" or anything like that. It's part of the code.

Now, step out of that folder to go up one, and delete all the .idx and .dat files for SS.

Now, go and restart the game, once you load your camp, you should hear your music!
    Last edited by Mattress; May 05, 2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: corrections

thanks for your reply, have you tried to add music to the battle map? adding music to campaign map was successful to me, it's the battle map that didn't work at all for me, although I applied the same method.

It's insuring tho that I know now I don't need to d/l new descr files or anything..I'll try again, may be I accidentally deleted end or something.

EDIT:It worked!! obviously I did something wrong last time, now I have my own music in camp and in Battle

thanks Mattress, would've given you rep if I could
    Last edited by virtu; May 06, 2009 at 10:02 PM.

MOD FOLDER METHOD

Step One: Put all the sound text files in your mod/data folder (mod standing for whatever mod you're using like for example, broken_crescent\data).
    What do you mean by this for step one?

Love NCAA football? Go here.

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    What do you mean by this for step one?
    Inside the data folder for whatever mod you are adding the music to, is a folder called "sounds" so if you place the sounds folder with the music you want in the data folder it will go in the right place....

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Hi Trajan,

using your method to add music to Broken Crescent, I encountered the following issue:

I am using the original game folder method to generate the music.dat/.idx and event.dat/.idx. When I use the generated files with the original game everything is fine, however using them for the BC mod messes up the voice accents of units on the strategic map. E.g. the same faction has different accents with the same generated files: starting the vanilla game, the accents are as specified in the descr_sounds_accents.txt file, BUT starting the BC mod with the generated files copied into the mods data/sounds folder, the accents are not as they are supposed to be (e.g. KOJ units have an arabic accent , although a french accent is specified).

Do you have any idea, why carrying over the generated files to the mod folder causes this issue?

Regards
    Last edited by GrandViZ; June 12, 2009 at 04:49 AM.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Hello, I deleted the 2 events files. Put my new music file in "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data\sounds", edited the descr_sounds_music, saved it as read only, pasted the [io] command int he config file, saved that as read-only. but the new music file doesn't play. Its just the monks chanting.

Do i need to open up the music.dat file? how can i do that?

I'm also trying to replace the main menu music entirely with my own music file.
    T.W.C.
    Total War Cynics

i need help! i have installed Bare_Kingdoms by Gigantus, ive added the sounds.txt files, edited them, made my music folder that holds my music, but then, when i activate the .batch file... the music doesnt play.... plz help

So Hi guys Trajan & Caliban I am working on a mod I want to release to the TWC community and I noticed there are recently updated sound files. my question is can I now install these files into my sounds folder and will they solve the pathing issues which did not allow the mod folder method to work before?
    thank you
    Druvatar

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Q No. 167

How do you know that new music has been added into the game (Without having to play the game)? Ive added music to the campagin map and battle game for all of the factions. Each song is unique to each perticular group of faction(s). But I havnt added heaps of songs. I think so far I've added about 15 songs. But my problem is testing them all and finding out if they work.

Another question: You can add new music to the battle/campagn song lists, correct? I dont want to replace the origional songs, I only want to add more/new ones.

Last question: When adding new music and a new/edited music text file 'list' to a mod (ie: rearanging (renaming) the songs to be in a different order and adding new songs) dose the new music list (or track) and music mp3 files have to be first implemented into the origional game data aswell (MEII)?

ty for the help/answers.
    and ty for taking the time to make this tutorial Trajan
    Last edited by IZob; November 11, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

hi, I'm having problems modding music for "INVASIO BARBARORUM 2". Normally I have had no problems changing the music for TATW or SS but I can never get this mod to work and I don't know why. It CTD's on the splash screen while rebuilding the events files

If I delete the music files, the music plays but there is no speech or background noises ie when you click on a tab etc

please help

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

awesome, your tutorial was great

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

OK I followed the tutorial. I got music ready. However, which section in the descr_sounds_music folder do I add my mp3 if i want my music to play in the "main menu" of the game?

front end

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by druvatar View Post
    front end
    Thanx. It worked

edit: update.

Well it works the only problem is (as I noticed) I loose all sound effects and speech during battle + campaign map. Its seem to be the way the new music/events/idx/dat files are generated as editing the descr_sounds_music file back doesn't fix the problem with the soudFX's although you do get back the original music. The only way is to use the original music/events/idx/dat files (which I thankfull backed up). My suspision lies in the way vista handles the "idx extractor". Anyone else using vista and having this problem? I'm also using the Stainles Steel 6.2 mod so was wondering do I do thse chages directly to the stainless steel folder or do I do it on the original MTW folder as indicated in the tutorial. Seems to make more sence if i work directly with the stainless steel folder as I only play this mod so pointless workin with the /sega/MTW folder??? maybe some one could carify this for me? should I follow the tutorial as it says and work on the MTW folder even though I'm using the SS mod? which has its own data/sounds folder

Edit 2:
    Nevermind figured it out, it seems the mod way works and only need to generate events files.
    Last edited by Stario; December 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM.

Hi guys just a bit of help, just wondering if I could have a bit of help.

I've tried adding some new music by doing the following -

1. Downloaded "Bare Kingdoms 0.002" and Installed.
    2. Downloaded Sound Text Files from Post #9
    3. Copied over a Music File called "CREDITS.mp3" and pasted into mod/data/sounds/music.
    4. Unchecked "Read Only" on descr_sounds_music, and edited "FRONTEND" to look like the following:
    ;;; FRONTEND

state MUSIC_FRONTEND
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    (Frontend_1)CREDITS.mp3
    (Euro_Loading_1)CREDITS.mp3
    end

N.B It's lost its formatting, otherwise, it's a direct copy paste.
    5. Deleted events.idx and .dat
    6. Ran the .bat
    7. And... Nothing...
    8. Shut down the game, re-ran the .bat, and still nothing.

What am I doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:: Question answered myself - I forgot to enter the (Frontend_1) prior to the sound.

I.e my music file was called CREDITS.mp3, and it wouldn't play. Then I renamed it to (Frontend_1)CREDITS.mp3, deleted events.dta and .idx again, and voila, it worked.
    Last edited by Vaz; January 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

good4eL's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    MOD FOLDER METHOD

(For this method, you'll will not need the io.file first command.)

Step One: Put all the sound text files in your mod/data folder (mod standing for whatever mod you're using like for example, broken_crescent\data).

Step Two: Put the music folder, with all the music tracks inside, in your mod/data/sounds folder.

Step Three: Delete events.dat and events.idx in the sounds folder

Step Four: Make the necessary text edits in the descr_sounds_music.txt file and save it.

Step Five: Start the game up and it'll rebuild the event files. After that, you're ready to go.
    Hi!
    1) I don't correctly understand what are the sound text files? Where are they?
    2) Before doing step one do I have to do some steps? What are the steps? Are these steps in Main Data Folder Method?
    Last edited by good4eL; January 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: editing

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

ok i used the method with the mod folder.
    the front end always works.

then i modified the music for nothern european factions

battle, campaignmap, etc
    i tested it with teutonic order, hre, danmark wales and england
    it works fine for england and wales but not the other mentioned factions. isnt that weird? anybody a idea what happened here and how to fix it?

i edited this in the grand campaign mod
    Last edited by Ahlerich; February 20, 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

Whenever I mod any music and delete the events files, there is never any background sounds like fighting or speaking. I think this has been asked before, but is there any way to make so that only the music changes, not the voices? (I don't like arab music when I'm playing as Mongols!)

i can't get any music working, i am trying to build it into a mod as it is. i tried starting basic with the front end. but can't work out what i am doing wrong.
    Unfortunately i doesn't seem like this thread is to busy nowadays.

spartan117's Avatar Ordinarius

Has anyone figured out how to use the extractor to extract all the sound files on either vista or windows 7. In the original post, vista users are warned of getting an error. I am running windows 7 and am encountering the same error. Like the OP I get the music files but not SFX, which is what I am really interested in editing. Thanks for any help.