Thread: Random Plagues?

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Default Random Plagues?

Ok, so i keep getting a random plague on a city almost every turn , i think is a bit ridiculous , almost always 1 of my towns has plague problems, i think is too much (The Black Death is not even close yet).

Any submod or idea to lower plague chance ? Save-game compatibile maybe?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Random Plagues?

This is related to the health and squalor. If you don't develop wells, baths and other buildings that improve health in your settlements, there's a lot of chance that you will get a plague, especially in very populated settlement. I know that for some of them it can happen quite often.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; March 07, 2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

The plague also sometimes affects my cities when I did not build the appropriate buildings quickly enough. This does not prevent me from progressing and these epidemics bring a significant challenge for the player in my opinion.
    The plague must be seen as a set of various diseases due to a lack of hygiene and overpopulation. The real Black Death would have far more devastating effects and spread from city to city without the player can do much against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    This is related to the health and scalor. If you don't develop wells, baths and other buildings that improve health in your settlements, there's a lot of chance that you will get a plague, especially in very populated settlement. I know that for some of them it can happen quite often.
    Damn, i destroyed baths and wells after i got to huge city because i wanted to stop population from growing since it can only get worse from that point , didnt expect that impact though, kudos for immersion. Guess u have to keep a balance of health buildings in a huge citty in order to stop plagues

Actually in many ways you're better off just going full bore with the health because your Squalor effect on public order caps out at 100%, but the bonus from health does not.

Plus, even without health buildings in some cases you're looking at 50% squalor anyway, so getting 100% health essentially gives you 50 more public order (and a bit more cash from taxes due to higher population).
    Last edited by Alavaria; March 07, 2019 at 10:04 AM.

Default Deadlier Plagues?

From what I know, historically plagues posed a real danger for Roman, and later Byzantine empire.
    Crippling trade, population, and army, plagues usually followed by a period of decline for the empire. I was reading on Justinian's plague, and it say it might have killed up to a quarter of human population in eastern Mediterranean. Constantinople was loosing 5k people per day at its peak.
    From what I understand, right now plagues only affect population - you see it at the detailed settlement screen.
    So I was wondering if it would be possible to edit effects of plagues? Would be cool if it also significantly affected economy, killing of trade of a settlement, therefore dropping settlement's income. Also maybe a number of soldiers who die of plague can be increased?
    What do you guys think, any ideas? Would it be possible to implement? And would it be realistic?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Deadlier Plagues?

Unless I remember wrong, the plague really cripples a city's economy and cripples armies. It is really bad.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Plagues actually destroy a city's income , it will kill population , it affects garrisoned armies , it can kill any character inside , any character that is in a plagued settlement has to be quarantined , if moved to another city while he has the plague it will spread to the city ( an old strategy with spies is to send a plagued spy to an enemy settlement as it will spread the disease) also i think there is a minor chance that plague can be spread to the close cities as well because u cant quarantine everything. So i think it does enough

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

a settlement trade is closed during a plague - this removes the trade income of this settlments but also exports from the other provinces. If you've got a great city (Constantinople, Alexandria etc.) the loss of trade may be very significant. You may check the share (but not amount) of trade generated by exports to these cities in the trade panel. strat with Byzantium and check the outbound export from Thessalonica - this would be cut during the plabe (or rather replaced by a lower export to another city.