Thread: Records Mode: Battles?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Records Mode: Battles?

Well 3K is getting good reviews so far, however some well established YouTubers have been critical of the battles. Main complaints are the AI is still pretty stupid, lack of preset formations, and I don't know, general dullness? My own sense from watching the streams is similar. The AI blobs, the units don't seem very coordinated, armies are small, archers seem overdone, large battle lines seem quite rare, and flanking looks as easy as ever. We'll know more after release but what are your impressions so far, and can anything be done to improve the situation? (Also hating the arrow trails but those are more visuals, like the janky unit interactions). Would adding pikes or more hybrid units help? I feel like we've moved CA a bit on Records Mode overall and can possibly move them on battles some more.

This is Records Mode only discussion, thanks.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Records Mode: Battles?

Most of the complaints is not that the battles are bad but mainly there is nothing new that we have not seen before and issues like AI units not moving under fire (a 'feature' as old as the first Total War) and the general feel that it's the same feel as in previous Total War games. That is in contrast of how the campaign part which truly evolves from previous games.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Records Mode: Battles?

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Most of the complaints is not that the battles are bad but mainly there is nothing new that we have not seen before and issues like AI units not moving under fire (a 'feature' as old as the first Total War) and the general feel that it's the same feel as in previous Total War games. That is in contrast of how the campaign part which truly evolves from previous games.
    Well, battles are the same because they're still based on Warscape, modified but still the same. With the all known issues, scripted deaths, weird AI behavior, and problematic movement. Nothing new here, but 3k's campaign part is very refreshing and I'm quite sure most fans will see it as a solid improvement and base for future titles.